2021 Bowl Season

The most important aspect of this is not the talent level. It’s the experience level. Alabama is use to this stage. They can take a punch out the gates and survive the storm. cincy probably can’t emotionally handle this.  If bama jumps ahead by 10+ early or Cincy makes a big mistake, I can see this one being a blowout win for Alabama. 

I’m actually glad cincy made it though. And I’m hoping they lose by 30+ so we can put this ridiculous mid majors deserve a automatic playoff argument to bed. 

• Like 1
  • Grumpy 1

15 hours ago, WETSU said:

The most important aspect of this is not the talent level. It’s the experience level. Alabama is use to this stage. They can take a punch out the gates and survive the storm. cincy probably can’t emotionally handle this.  If bama jumps ahead by 10+ early or Cincy makes a big mistake, I can see this one being a blowout win for Alabama. 

I’m actually glad cincy made it though. And I’m hoping they lose by 30+ so we can put this ridiculous mid majors deserve a automatic playoff argument to bed. 

What do you think DESERVING is?

You clearly don't think winning ALL OF YOUR FOOTBALL GAMES is important.

You want Notre Dame in?  They lost to Cincinnati.

You want Baylor in?  They lost 2 games!  Oklahoma St lost 2 games!  Oregon lost 2 games!  Ohio State lost 2 games!  etc etc etc etc...  The next best deserving team was Notre Dame!  How do you put them in over a team that manhandled them?  

The saddest part of all of this is that Cincinnati had to go undefeated 2 years in a row and almost knock off Georgia last year to even be considered this year.  You want to talk about deserving, when you are really fighting for entitlement.  

8 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

What do you think DESERVING is?

You clearly don't think winning ALL OF YOUR FOOTBALL GAMES is important.

You want Notre Dame in?  They lost to Cincinnati.

You want Baylor in?  They lost 2 games!  Oklahoma St lost 2 games!  Oregon lost 2 games!  Ohio State lost 2 games!  etc etc etc etc...  The next best deserving team was Notre Dame!  How do you put them in over a team that manhandled them?  

The saddest part of all of this is that Cincinnati had to go undefeated 2 years in a row and almost knock off Georgia last year to even be considered this year.  You want to talk about deserving, when you are really fighting for entitlement.  

I am not saying they aren’t deserving so to say. They should be in this year based on the way the format currently is. 

im more talking about those who want all the mid majors in for winning their conferences. This cincy team is likely the best mid major in a decade. This is not the norm for mid majors. So if this team goes and gets rolled by Alabama I believe it’s just a sign that most of the time these teams just aren’t going to seriously challenge.  It’s not their fault. They need their own title format. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

I am not saying they aren’t deserving so to say. They should be in this year based on the way the format currently is. 

im more talking about those who want all the mid majors in for winning their conferences. This cincy team is likely the best mid major in a decade. This is not the norm for mid majors. So if this team goes and gets rolled by Alabama I believe it’s just a sign that most of the time these teams just aren’t going to seriously challenge.  It’s not their fault. They need their own title format. 

I am just going back to the past 6 seasons (not including this one) just to show you something and to make a small point that somewhat aligns with both sides.

Best "Mid-major" each season
2020- Cincinnati 9-0 (lost bowl to UGA)
2019- Memphis 12-1 (won bowl)
2018- UCF 12-0 (lost bowl)
2017- UCF 12-0 (won bowl)
2016- Western Michigan 13-0 (lost bowl)
2015- Houston 12-1 (won bowl)

I am not sure the old goat "16 team playoff" guys on here are even remotely arguing that any of those teams above are anywhere near as good as the past NCAA champions.  I believe, and this is my argument too, that these teams that have a season like those above, deserve a chance to put their neck out there and fight for the chance to say "We developed this team and we deserve to be here."  After they get their teeth kicked in, it leaves no doubt in their minds or ours.  

I know there are 2 million different ways people think the playoff should be changed.  However, this is mine.  Let the NCAA choose their number of teams, but in the interest of fairness, the highest ranked/rated/etc Non-P5 school should be guaranteed a playoff spot.  If you have an 8 team playoff, do it however you want, just hold one of those for the Boise St teams or Cinci or Memphis, or Houston... They will almost always lose before the Championship game.  However, it will save you some drama.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WETSU said:

Most of the playoff games has been blowouts.

Most of the time the #3 and #4 are already not good enough to win the NC already. Why do I need 5-12?

30 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Most of the time the #3 and #4 are already not good enough to win the NC already. Why do I need 5-12?

More free football between top 12 teams and the rare upset, i can’t see a problem. Is rather watch playoff blowouts than bowl games nobody cares about. 
more football =better

29 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

see above.  And I am not even arguing for a huge expansion.  I think 16 is too many...  7-5 CUSA champion does not deserve the right to compete for a National Championship, but there are always those outliers that have a legitimate argument that they may be good enough... Like I said above, I would not argue with an 8 team invitational NC tournament, as long as there is space for a team like Cincinnati the past few years 

3 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

More free football between top 12 teams and the rare upset, i can’t see a problem. Is rather watch playoff blowouts than bowl games nobody cares about. 
more football =better

I would rather watch regular season games that matter.

You guys tuning into the College Basketball regular season yet? Most likely not because it doesn't matter. They pass up having months of entertainment for one weekend in March.

9 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

You guys tuning into the College Basketball regular season yet? Most likely not because it doesn't matter. They pass up having months of entertainment for one weekend in March.

So if they go to 12 , you won’t watch on Saturdays? 
I still will and i figure most fans will also. 

Did OU and the whorns play in front of an empty stadium this year? Both of those teams were down (thanks Lincoln Riley) but the stands still looked full and i watched on tv like always. 

i see a big difference between football still having 12 games and basketball playing 40 on weekday nights. 

Just now, trashyhound said:

So if they go to 12 , you won’t watch on Saturdays? 
I still will and i figure most fans will also. 

Did OU and the whorns play in front of an empty stadium this year? Both of those teams were down (thanks Lincoln Riley) but the stands still looked full and i watched on tv like always. 

i see a big difference between football still having 12 games and basketball playing 40 on weekday nights. 

I will watch Oklahoma no matter what the system is.

Now, I probably would not have watched Cinci play Houston or Oregon vs Stanford and others like that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

There is meaning to the CBB regular season. Some teams are playing for at-large bids, but everyone is playing for seeding from day one...

I gotta be honest, it is hard to watch most of these bowl games with all the opt outs.  It's like watching a preseason game for the next season with some of the key positions.

Refreshing to see someone finish what he started before moving on.  I realize there is risk, but there has always been a risk from the first time the pads go on.

2 minutes ago, Polar_Bear said:

I gotta be honest, it is hard to watch most of these bowl games with all the opt outs.  It's like watching a preseason game for the next season with some of the key positions.

Refreshing to see someone finish what he started before moving on.  I realize there is risk, but there has always been a risk from the first time the pads go on.

You took those words right out of my mouth. 100% refreshing.

Why doesn’t Virginia just borrow some players from the woman’s lacrosse team? I mean how hard can it be to field a team to play ball. You only need 11 players to field a team. You can have 280 pound DEs play safety is you need to. It’s pretty much the same position… And I mean if he needs a breather, we will just say how ridiculous that is because people played two ways 50 years ago.
Matter of fact, let’s just stop recruiting to the 85 man limit and just bring in 5-6 really versatile players a year and give them 5x the NIL money. You only need 22 to field a team anyway so that works out better. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Why doesn’t Virginia just borrow some players from the woman’s lacrosse team? I mean how hard can it be to field a team to play ball. You only need 11 players to field a team. You can have 280 pound DEs play safety is you need to. It’s pretty much the same position… And I mean if he needs a breather, we will just say how ridiculous that is because people played two ways 50 years ago.
Matter of fact, let’s just stop recruiting to the 85 man limit and just bring in 5-6 really versatile players a year and give them 5x the NIL money. You only need 22 to field a team anyway so that works out better. 

I'm just sick of all these games being canceled. I think it's all absolutely stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I'm just sick of all these games being canceled. I think it's all absolutely stupid. 

I agree, but the blame needs to be on the ncaa and Covid restrictions. Blaming coaches for pulling out of games because they are scared or games being cancelled due to internal team issues is just stupid. 

This could all be fixed if we stopped treating Covid like the plague and started letting these kids play. Covid is honestly easier on the body than the flu for these athletes. Having entire position groups sit out for a minimum number of days simply because a guy or two tested positive with no symptoms is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

It is. It’s like playing slug bug on a road trip. You pay attention for them and suddenly that’s all you see on the road. You’re in flu season, you’re actively hunting for Covid cases and what do you know? A huge boom in Covid cases. Vaccinated. Unvaccinated. Whatever. These athletes are in peak physical condition being asked to play a game in which they run full speed and collide into each other. It’s ridiculous.