School Closures

blueflu

16 hours ago, ctown81 said:

So no punishment should be given for breaking into the capitol? 

There should definitely be punishment for people who broke in to the capitol, caused damage, or stole things.  Just like the mostly peaceful protests of the last few years.  But we are holding a lot of them without bail in isolation, which most of them don't deserve.  I am not for storming the capitol.  In my mind, that is putting yourself in a powder keg and asking for trouble.  I agree with protesting for a cause.

But to act like this was some kind of democracy ending insurrection that was aimed at violently restoring Trump to the presidency and comparing it to Pearl Harbor and 9/11 is ridiculous.

I'll save anything else for the political page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Thank you....any more posts about anything BUT school closures will be removed........carry on.....

@RETIREDFAN1 believes school should have closed to honor his retirement.  Instead, the school ordered a plague from the Chinese to make sure he didn't come back.

• LOL! 4

The majority of small schools will not close unless there is a significant (30% or more) kids out sick, or if a significant number of teachers are out. With the weather constantly shifting these past couple weeks and flu season coming on strong expect schools to be out sporadically throughout the spring. The positive with covid happening is now schools can go virtual and keep education going to an extent, which is better than nothing.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, 1waterboy said:

It’s the flu people! No need to close schools. You guys must be Dems.

You do know pre-covid schools would close for the flu, right?

Schools will close for 2 big reasons:

1. Not enough staff to operate. Its not just teachers. Janitors, cafeteria workers, substitutes, bus drivers all make these schools go. I know of superintendents that have stepped in and worked the lunch line or driven bus routes the past couple of years to keep schools going. 

2. Because of the way school funding works from the state, if attendance falls below a certain level schools actually lose money. I'm not sure on the actual number but its somewhere in the 10-15% absent range. From whats been explained to me by education friends, a school needs to close at this point and that allows them a relief funding. If a school's attendance is too bad for too long they won't be able to pay the bills.

Whether its covid, the flu, fluvid or whatever, we will start to see school closures. Either lack of staff or not enough students attending to get the proper funding. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrclean69 said:

You do know pre-covid schools would close for the flu, right?

Schools will close for 2 big reasons:

1. Not enough staff to operate. Its not just teachers. Janitors, cafeteria workers, substitutes, bus drivers all make these schools go. I know of superintendents that have stepped in and worked the lunch line or driven bus routes the past couple of years to keep schools going. 

2. Because of the way school funding works from the state, if attendance falls below a certain level schools actually lose money. I'm not sure on the actual number but its somewhere in the 10-15% absent range. From whats been explained to me by education friends, a school needs to close at this point and that allows them a relief funding. If a school's attendance is too bad for too long they won't be able to pay the bills.

Whether its covid, the flu, fluvid or whatever, we will start to see school closures. Either lack of staff or not enough students attending to get the proper funding. 

Tell everyone they can't come to school then say there aren't enough people there to have school...