School Closures

blueflu

2 hours ago, Destry said:

So, if the word “COVID” had never been used, would there be shutdowns if the word flu was used instead ?

Yes.  It isn't about the COVID, its about attendance, Teacher availability, support staff availability...... Many things cause shutdowns, not just Covid.  I've seen schools shut down for flu many times in my career.  Swine Flu shut down the entire state education system not so long ago.  Including baseball and softball playoffs, Track Regionals, Golf etc.

• Like 1

As stated by several posters, schools have closed in the past for two reasons:  Too many students out or too many key staff members out.  If you don't have enough bus drivers or cafeteria workers or substitute teachers you simply can't do school. Regardless of which disease is the main driver, you have to figure in the "usual" absences like paternity leaves, stomach bugs, etc. and if it is a small district that adds up quickly.  I heard one superintendent say they had 33% of their employees out on Thursday.

Yes, waiting until Tuesday will help districts with too many staff absences, especially with the new CDC protocols that can get an adult back to work in 5 days.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 1:34 PM, neveragain said:

As stated by several posters, schools have closed in the past for two reasons:  Too many students out or too many key staff members out.  If you don't have enough bus drivers or cafeteria workers or substitute teachers you simply can't do school. Regardless of which disease is the main driver, you have to figure in the "usual" absences like paternity leaves, stomach bugs, etc. and if it is a small district that adds up quickly.  I heard one superintendent say they had 33% of their employees out on Thursday.

Yes, waiting until Tuesday will help districts with too many staff absences, especially with the new CDC protocols that can get an adult back to work in 5 days.

when Texarkana ISD was out a couple weeks ago, I know we had been between 62% and 68% that week for students...so!!!

Just now, PelvisPresley said:

when Texarkana ISD was out a couple weeks ago, I know we had been between 62% and 68% that week for students...so!!!

I didn't check on the total district for staff, but our campus was in that 30 to 40% out...and not able to cover with subs...so it was getting ugly.