Strange formation

Destry

Not much innovation seen this year ... everybody waits until someone else has the brains and guts to do something different and then they steal it.

More and more folks are ending up with a collection of plays INSTEAD of an offense.  I think wristbands are limiting adjustments during the game ... if some people see a weakness in the way a defense is aligned, but that play in that set in that situation is not on the wristband - therefore they can't signal it in and run it - means that you are sacrificing effectiveness for efficiency ... and there is a big difference between the two.

To borrow a Doomer quote - "Tru Storie" ... case in point: 

One Friday night a few years back I was at a game ... it was halftime and I ran into a young offensive coordinator I know coming down from the press box.
I said, "They're throwing a lot of stuff at you."
He said, "They sure are."
I replied, "It's really kinda simple. They're just playing your sets and reading your mail."
I walked with him for a bit to the field house.
I then said, "If you put your set back and H-back to the same side away from Twins and run a post with the inside receiver, they're unsound and there's no way they can cover it."
He replied, "Maybe so, but we don't have that play."
I said, "You don't run a post route?"
He said, "Yea, but not it that set."
I said, "Why don't you just call one."
He said, "Can't, it's not on our wristband ... and if it's not on our wristband then we can't signal it in."
I told him "Good Luck, and good to see you" and went on our separate ways.
WOW ... things sure have changed ... I guess the days of taking what they give you are over. Times change, but in the old days I wasn't about to lose a ball game (which they eventually did) over a wristband.

Anything was possible with coffee and chalk until they invented an erasable whiteboard.  I figure the days of seeing coaches at clinics drawing on table napkins while eating breakfast are gone.  Innovation often comes from new minds that think outside the box.  Before you can innovate, you have to at least understand the "now" and then the "why" ... that learning for understanding is never achieved if you are the last one to show up and the first one to leave.  It's always been that way - and always will be.

sets.jpg

• Love 1
  • Wow 1

3 hours ago, DOB said:

Not much innovation seen this year ... everybody waits until someone else has the brains and guts to do something different and then they steal it.

More and more folks are ending up with a collection of plays INSTEAD of an offense.  I think wristbands are limiting adjustments during the game ... if some people see a weakness in the way a defense is aligned, but that play in that set in that situation is not on the wristband - therefore they can't signal it in and run it - means that you are sacrificing effectiveness for efficiency ... and there is a big difference between the two.

To borrow a Doomer quote - "Tru Storie" ... case in point: 

One Friday night a few years back I was at a game ... it was halftime and I ran into a young offensive coordinator I know coming down from the press box.
I said, "They're throwing a lot of stuff at you."
He said, "They sure are."
I replied, "It's really kinda simple. They're just playing your sets and reading your mail."
I walked with him for a bit to the field house.
I then said, "If you put your set back and H-back to the same side away from Twins and run a post with the inside receiver, they're unsound and there's no way they can cover it."
He replied, "Maybe so, but we don't have that play."
I said, "You don't run a post route?"
He said, "Yea, but not it that set."
I said, "Why don't you just call one."
He said, "Can't, it's not on our wristband ... and if it's not on our wristband then we can't signal it in."
I told him "Good Luck, and good to see you" and went on our separate ways.
WOW ... things sure have changed ... I guess the days of taking what they give you are over. Times change, but in the old days I wasn't about to lose a ball game (which they eventually did) over a wristband.

Anything was possible with coffee and chalk until they invented an erasable whiteboard.  I figure the days of seeing coaches at clinics drawing on table napkins while eating breakfast are gone.  Innovation often comes from new minds that think outside the box.  Before you can innovate, you have to at least understand the "now" and then the "why" ... that learning for understanding is never achieved if you are the last one to show up and the first one to leave.  It's always been that way - and always will be.

sets.jpg

Really like your thought process. Has it clicked yet that wristbands and spread offense go together, and yes, limit adjustments? Evidently not with some people.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Destry said:

Really like your thought process. Has it clicked yet that wristbands and spread offense go together, and yes, limit adjustments? Evidently not with some people.

In visiting over the years with the early wristband folks, the purpose was primarily for use of no huddle and up tempo ... now a few multi-flips even have assignments/routes on them .... but heck, I'm old enough to remember Army's "Lonesome End",

lonesome end.jpg

18 minutes ago, DOB said:

In visiting over the years with the early wristband folks, the purpose was primarily for use of no huddle and up tempo ... now a few multi-flips even have assignments/routes on them .... but heck, I'm old enough to remember Army's "Lonesome End" formation.

lonesome end.jpg

I am with you bro 

4 minutes ago, Destry said:

I am with you bro 

By the time I came around in HS in the Sixties, Quarterbacks spent a lot of time off the field learning how to read and attack defenses because we called about 95% plus of plays during the game ... of course defenses were more standardized then, especially in the secondary (4-deep Cloud with occasional Sky, and Three-deep) ... most people ran the Okie 5, a few the 4-3 27, and an occasional Split or 7-Diamond ... learned a lot calling my own plays.  Helped a lot during in my early coaching days ... 

12 hours ago, DOB said:

In visiting over the years with the early wristband folks, the purpose was primarily for use of no huddle and up tempo ... now a few multi-flips even have assignments/routes on them .... but heck, I'm old enough to remember Army's "Lonesome End",

lonesome end.jpg

Pretty soon they will have an apple watch phone with the plays on them

• Like 1

Teams run a lot of formations, and very few recognize they're looking at a strange formation. Not many realize when there is a tackle over and an uncovered TE on the opposite side. There are thousands of ways to move and align players in formations to make it unusual. Wing T and Slot T teams are experts at moving one player and causing huge issues with a defensive front and no one realizes it in the stands.