🔴 Sooners 2022 thread

Mr. P

Lincoln Riley bailed for Cali, but we replaced him (upgraded?) with Brent Venables.

We lost a lot of coaches and players in the transition, but it remains to be seen if it was addition by subtraction. 

The biggest change I think we're all hoping to see will be a culture shift to a more physical and tenacious program. 

What will this new OU look like in the coming year with Venables, Schmitty, and Lebby running things?

New year, new thread...  BOOMER SOONER! 

Message board chatter has "sources" saying that Caleb Williams will be entering the transfer portal BUT will allow OU to re-recruit him. 

Gotta admit, I'm not a fan of this...   but it is what it is. 

31 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

He has to enter the portal to start the bidding officially.

Sure, and we all know there's been plenty of back-channel talks from the moment the Liar Riley news got out. 

All this means is that the process is officially out in the open. 

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Sure, and we all know there's been plenty of back-channel talks from the moment the Liar Riley news got out. 

All this means is that the process is officially out in the open. 

I am just trying to look at it logically to see what situation would better than what he has right now at Oklahoma?

Alabama - Still have Bryce Young

Ohio State - Still have Chase Stroud

USC - I guess he could follow Riley, but USC's roster is awful.

Georgia - Kirby always picks the wrong QB.

Texas - has Ewers

A&M - maybe, but I just don't see that one.

There are four places that I think might be the most realistic.

Michigan - he has connections there through a QB trainer.

Maryland - He is a dmv guy, and that would be going home I guess.

Penn State - A major program that is closer to home.

Miami - Joe Brady is still being floated around as the OC here. CW was very interested in Brady at LSU before he went to the NFL.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

USC - I guess he could follow Riley, but USC's roster is awful.

Despite everything that has happened, I still see USC as a strong possibility due to the fact that he seems interested in parlaying his sports celebrity into being an "Influencer." 

Kids these days don't care about gameday glory for good ol' State U. It's all about clicks, shares, and likes. Social media swag and clout.

Dude could literally sit on the bench for a 4-7 squad and still position himself as a style icon. Many have done as much with far, far less talent. 

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

These are much MUCH bigger stories than Williams transfer portal gossip. 

If OU has demonstrated anything for the last ten years, having a hotshot QB doesn't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to winning playoffs games and nattys. 

27 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I am just trying to look at it logically to see what situation would better than what he has right now at Oklahoma?

Miami - Joe Brady is still being floated around as the OC here. CW was very interested in Brady at LSU before he went to the NFL.

I've seen Miami and Virginia Tech as two possible destinations, and that mystifies me...  

Yeah, I understand his interest in Joe Brady, but one: that's not even official yet, and two: Miami has a freshman who had a standout latter half of the season. Granted, he's no Bryce Young, but why would Caleb leave an incumbent QB1 position at OU to enter a competition at Miami, all in the hopes that Brady can re-capture lightning in a bottle IF he even wins the starting role?

Of course, if it's a money thing, well, who knows...  

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Casey Thompson is a more nuclear option that might be realistic. He wasn't the problem at Texas this year.

Not crazy about Thompson's skillset, but the storylines would be hilarious. 

• Mr. P locked this topic