🔴 Sooners 2022 thread

Mr. P

46 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I hate what the sport and the world has come to… A man with this much tenure with the school he loves having to resign because he read a word off an iPad. How soft we have become. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I may be old school, but a position coach who has worked for the school for two decades resigning in August for nothing is a much bigger distraction than some hurt feelings from reading a song out loud. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I hope the OU admin does the right thing. 

They probably won't...  but I hope they do. 

Sadly, I think that it's a done deal. 

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that Gundy (whether because he was hacked off or not, doesn't matter) read those words off of the player's tablet.  NOBODY who has been in coaching as long as Cale has knows better than he that there are certain words that a 50 year old white man cannot utter in a room full of black athletes.  Can't believe that he did that!

Like it or not, it's the world that we live in... and he knew that once uttered, that the incident would go public, so he self-reported to BV, and it got ran up the chain of command, with the choice of resign or be fired.

Sad.  I've read that Gundy could be a hot-head and mouthed off at times, but he was a good coach as was proven by the support that he is receiving.  But as Brent said, our actions have consequences.

One of the consequences, besides Cale losing his job, is that OU recruiting, will take a hit.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, WETSU said:

I hate what the sport and the world has come to… A man with this much tenure with the school he loves having to resign because he read a word off an iPad. How soft we have become. 

I can't help to think there is more to the story. At some point someone in that room will state what was said along with the reaction. Just seems like there has to be more to the story for him to resign over a word he quoted from an iPad.

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

I can't help to think there is more to the story. At some point someone in that room will state what was said along with the reaction. Just seems like there has to be more to the story for him to resign over a word he quoted from an iPad.

I agree. To me this just seems like a very jerky reaction considering the story. Especially when it’s being reported most of the players are not wanting him to quit. There has to be something more being this. 

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

What’s the word on OU through camp so far? 

The Gundy stuff is getting a lot of ink, but (according to my Norman sources) the coaches are very enthusiastic.

Back in Spring, word 'round the campfire was all about "being competitive." But the whispers I'm hearing are about winning the Big XII, and being a Playoff team. Maybe that's pie-in-the-sky thinking, but that's the vibe. 

27 minutes ago, LOL said:

The Gundy stuff is getting a lot of ink, but (according to my Norman sources) the coaches are very enthusiastic.

Back in Spring, word 'round the campfire was all about "being competitive." But the whispers I'm hearing are about winning the Big XII, and being a Playoff team. Maybe that's pie-in-the-sky thinking, but that's the vibe. 

What type of offense are they running? Are the still trying to score in bunches or will Venables go a little more ball control to save the defense? 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

What type of offense are they running? Are the still trying to score in bunches or will Venables go a little more ball control to save the defense? 

Venables will run the Stoops/Riley offense.  If he doesn't he is crazy.

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Venables will run the Stoops/Riley offense.  If he doesn't he is crazy.

Nah, there won't be much of Riley's system left. More like Briles's actually. 

Shotgun set, with backs stacked. Wideouts split wayyyy outside. Tempo. Zone-read. A minimum of 60-40 run-pass ratio. Lull the defense with pounding inside runs and quick slants, then take shots deep.

Gone will be the seven-step drop, wait for a someone to get open, roll-right and improvise pass plays. Gone will be the  delayed inside-draws without lead blocking. Gone will be the random double-reverse annexation of Puerto Rico on 3rd and short in the red zone. 

Gone will be the boy genius trying to outsmart everyone. Instead there will be physical running and efficient passing. 

Here's JD Pickell's take:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This kind of "analysis" is not helpful. It sets ridiculously unrealistic expectations for a kid who's only been on campus for a few months: https://stormininnorman.com/2022/08/24/dillon-gabriel-might-well-turn-out-to-be-best-sooner-quarterback-this-century/

Regardless of how this season’s Heisman race turns out, if Gabriel can avoid injury and he remains at Oklahoma for two or more seasons, he could easily put up some huge numbers and find himself right up there with the best signal callers in Sooner football history.

He could also find himself in a position to do something the recent Oklahoma Heisman-winning quarterbacks could not do: win a game in the College Football Playoff and possibly a national championship.

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

Look, I like Dillon Gabriel. He strikes me as a high-caliber person, and I think he'll do really well this season. I truly believe he has the potential to be better for us than Williams or Rattler. 

BUT can we please just pump the brakes on the GOAT talk for now? Let's at least get one game under our belt before the coronation. 

9 hours ago, LOL said:

This kind of "analysis" is not helpful. It sets ridiculously unrealistic expectations for a kid who's only been on campus for a few months: https://stormininnorman.com/2022/08/24/dillon-gabriel-might-well-turn-out-to-be-best-sooner-quarterback-this-century/

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

Look, I like Dillon Gabriel. He strikes me as a high-caliber person, and I think he'll do really well this season. I truly believe he has the potential to be better for us than Williams or Rattler. 

BUT can we please just pump the brakes on the GOAT talk for now? Let's at least get one game under our belt before the coronation. 

Rattler was going to be the greatest in OU history until he wasn’t.  Then the next year he was going to become that guy, until he didn’t. 

LSU was the same way last year with Max and others… the unreachable expectations from local media sources make it an impossible job

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LOL said:

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

The name of the site in general would lead me to take what they say with a grain of salt.

I expect a double digit win season from Oklahoma, but that is really due more to their weak schedule this year than anything.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 5:06 PM, Valhalla said:

It’s not often you beat Alabama and Georgia for guys they actually want. Much less have them commit on the same day.

382117E0-2B8E-413C-8F56-1A164DB2165E.jpeg4B06B77E-34D9-4172-B969-4E425B19CFC2.jpeg

I appreciate Riley pulling these guys in for us despite coaching for USC. Lord knows we don't have anyone on campus who can close the deal. 

• LOL! 1

• Mr. P locked this topic