🔴 Sooners 2022 thread

Mr. P

QzwG9nc.jpeg

I liked what I saw: I liked that we beat an inferior team by a decisive score. (Yeah yeah, I know it was just UTEP but other than a brief rally in the 2nd quarter the outcome of the game was never in doubt.) I liked the tempo and the aggressive offense. I liked the unpredictability of the playcalling. I liked the physicality on defense. We finished tackles in a way that I haven't seen in nearly a decade. I liked the fact that our skill players were knocking guys around. Despite 100+ temperatures, we didn't seem gassed. UTEP had several guys falling out, but we seemed fine throughout. 

I liked what I didn't see: Unlike past years where we gave some unknown QB a career day, the coverage and pass rush was on point. I didn't see an inferior opponent push us around or set the tone for the game. I didn't see many outright blown coverages, or players chronically out of position. Other than a brief lull in the 2nd quarter, the tactics and execution was pretty solid. I didn't see the opposing team build momentum in the second half due to our players emotionally checking out. 

But we still need a LOT of work: Venables's defenses are built upon a four-man pass rush, and we're not there yet. Opposing QB had wayyyy too much time in the pocket. The secondary is already 100 percent better than last year, but they are still getting taken out of position far too much. Also, Lebby really needs to drop the tempo once we've got a decent lead. Control the clock. I wish we'd stuck with the run game more, because it seemed like Lebby saw something and was trying to bust a big pass play. Gabriel is accurate in short to mid-range, but his deep ball is erratic and has a tendency to float. 

Overall, we're better than I expected us to be in Week 1. I think we've got a decent shot at the Big XII title, but we are not a Playoff team. Not yet. Good news is that this is only Year 1. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

What’s surprising to me is giving up so many points to KSU. Venables is a great defensive coach. Though I’m guessing it’ll take some time to change the culture around the OU defensive play. Their identity has been offense for the last 20 years, it feels like. 

They don’t have the front 4 talent to make the defense go. 

It will honestly probably be 2024 before it makes a noticeable change. 

• Thanks 1

A cursory glance of the Internet shows the usual loud throng of those who hate OU more than they love their own team (if they even have one), but they are joined by an even louder chorus of Sooner casuals and try-hards who (apparently) had unrealistic expectations about how this season was going to go. This is (and always was) a building year. 

That's not to say the loss doesn't bother me, because it does. It bothers me because it was a winnable game, and OU left money on the table. 

Credit goes to Kansas State. They had a solid gameplan and executed almost flawlessly. They came out and dared Oklahoma to stop the run, to commit to containing Martinez, and challenged OU to go score-for-score for four quarters. The Sooners failed to rise to this occasion.

But don't cry for me Argentina. There's still a helluva lot of football yet to be played... 

My reading of the tea leaves indicates that ain't nobody looking unbeatable this season. A whole bunch of perennial powerhouses have already been humbled against supposedly "inferior" opponents in this still-young season. We got a lotta folks crowing about the OU loss from the supposed safe vantage of glass walls. 

37 minutes ago, LOL said:

My reading of the tea leaves indicates that ain't nobody looking unbeatable this season. A whole bunch of perennial powerhouses have already been humbled against supposedly "inferior" opponents in this still-young season. We got a lotta folks crowing about the OU loss from the supposed safe vantage of glass walls. 

Feel this 100%. We lost to App State. Notre Dame to Marshall. You've seen a lot of super close games played by heavy underdogs. Even Georgia struggled for a while this weekend. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

There is no depth chart. 

Part of the fallout of the Lincoln Riley QB recruiting philosophy.

Ahh that’s right. He signed his deal with the devil for the transfer portal, and OU is suffering for it. 

18 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Ahh that’s right. He signed his deal with the devil for the transfer portal, and OU is suffering for it. 

No, he just believed in going all in a QB recruit every two years which worked, but sucks for OU when the guy follows him. 

There is not a QB on the roster that was recruited by Lincoln Riley. 

15 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Don't let it get to you. OU will be rebuilding for the next year or two. Just hang in there til then. 

That is just the new reality of a regime change in the transfer portal era.  

Oklahoma won’t be the last school to deal with this.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Sing us the ou fight song.  Surely you know both words

Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner 
Boomer Sooner, OK U! 

Oklahoma, Oklahoma 
Oklahoma, Oklahoma 
Oklahoma, Oklahoma 
Oklahoma, OK U! 

I'm a Sooner born and Sooner bred 
and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead 
Rah Oklahoma, Rah Oklahoma 
Rah Oklahoma, OK U!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Sing us the ou fight song.  Surely you know both words

Just for fun.

Texas would have to win 35 straight Big 12 games along with Oklahoma losing every game to have the same All-time conference record as Oklahoma.

• LOL! 1

• Mr. P locked this topic