🔴 Sooners 2022 thread

Mr. P

17 hours ago, eagle34 said:

I disagree totally. If Riley was still there they would more than likely be undefeated and on their way to the Big 12 Championship game again. They made a terrible hire (not John Blake bad, but not good). In the meantime the Trojans will be in the Playoff with one of the top 3 Coaches in the Country. I know as an Aggie fan if Jimbo was 55-10 in his first 5 years you wouldn't be talking about the program going downhill after an 11-2 record. 

Nope,

He would still have the same defensive players. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, eagle34 said:

I disagree totally. If Riley was still there they would more than likely be undefeated and on their way to the Big 12 Championship game again. They made a terrible hire (not John Blake bad, but not good). In the meantime the Trojans will be in the Playoff with one of the top 3 Coaches in the Country. I know as an Aggie fan if Jimbo was 55-10 in his first 5 years you wouldn't be talking about the program going downhill after an 11-2 record. 

The thing is, Riley won a lot of games in the Big 12 and then got smacked in the playoffs. And it was getting worse and worse every year. 
If Jimbo 55-10 but was trending downward in recruiting, in win margin, etc, then I could acknowledge he was successful while still trending downwards. Nobody is saying Riley wasn’t successful. He was. In the Big 12. He was never going to threaten to win a national title. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The thing is, Riley won a lot of games in the Big 12 and then got smacked in the playoffs. And it was getting worse and worse every year. 
If Jimbo 55-10 but was trending downward in recruiting, in win margin, etc, then I could acknowledge he was successful while still trending downwards. Nobody is saying Riley wasn’t successful. He was. In the Big 12. He was never going to threaten to win a national title. 

😂😂😂

On 10/6/2022 at 12:16 PM, LOL said:

I give him all the credit in the world for the things he accomplished at OU...  but it was time for a change.

Lincoln Riley's days were numbered in the Big XII, and he wanted no part of the SEC grist mill. He made the right decision.

"Time for a change."  Yeah, because who wants to have all those lousy 10 win seasons.  Get over yourself.  OU fans were happy and fortunate to have him and the same would be true if he were there now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

22 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Still think you’re better off without Lincoln Riley?  Lol

The only difference would be that Caleb Williams would still be the QB, and he is special. 

However, if he was out with a concussion like DG then I promise you that Oklahoma would not have had back up QB with Riley either. 

All of the defensive players would be the same as now. 

Edited by Valhalla

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

It’s OU’s mess.  And they hired a first time HC to clean it up.

Head Coaching experience is irrelevant to if the guy is the right person.

Lincoln Riley - No HC experience

Bob Stoops - No HC experience

Barry Switzer - No HC experience

Bud Wilkerson - No HC experience

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Is Venables the right hire.  I’m actually thinking they should give him time to see.  I’ve already seen the fire BV pitchforks come out

13 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The only difference would be that Caleb Williams would still be the QB, and he is special. 

However, if he was out with a concussion like DG then I promise you that Oklahoma would not have had back up QB with Riley either. 

All of the defensive players would be the same as now. 

So your answer is yes?

Just now, DB2point0 said:

Is Venables the right hire.  I’m actually thinking they should give him time to see.  I’ve already seen the fire BV pitchforks come out

Remains to be seen. 

The 2nd year tells you if you have the right guy. The 1st year just is what it is.

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

So your answer is yes?

I think they are 1-2 in the last 3 games with Riley and Williams still at Oklahoma.

I also think they are 1-2 if DG doesn't get knocked out.

Hell, Kansas State owned Riley since Kleiman has been there. Texas with Ewers is probably better this year anyways.

Edited by Valhalla

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

Remains to be seen. 

The 2nd year tells you if you have the right guy. The 1st year just is what it is.

Bingo. 1st year is always tough for a coach. Year two and three is where you start to see strides in either the right direction or wrong direction.

Unless you have Jimbo as your HC, then every year feels like groundhog day😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BudaSooner said:

Venables says he wants his players to be "all in"!  If not, there's the door!

I appreciate (and agree) with this sentiment...  but it doesn't matter if you aren't winning. 

Nick Saban and Kirby Smart can act hard. Ryan Day can afford to let five-stars transfer out. 

But if you're not getting it done in the W-L column, these are just empty platitudes. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 7:54 AM, Valhalla said:

Yeah, its a dumb argument when you look at what Pruitt has done at Tennessee, Aranda at Baylor, and Pittman at Arkansas.  Oh wait, there is that Kirby Smart guy who just won a national championship in his first head coaching job also.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BudaSooner said:

Venables says he wants his players to be "all in"!  If not, there's the door!

Bo Davis, an assistant coach at Texas, had a rant last year about players that were not “all in” suggesting they look elsewhere. I think about 40 players left the program and by all accounts the program’s culture has changed for the better. Sounds like a similar message has been sent to players at OU. The question I have is whether after the exodus last year, can the program afford back to back years to players leaving the program. Transfers out are a reality of modern college football program. You hope those leaving the program are not your 2 deep and red-shirt freshmen being groomed.

14 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I appreciate the Dr. Prentice Gautt tribute. It's certainly great for these young athletes who likely had never heard of him before... but shouldn't that mean we wear throwback jerseys? 

8cMc67x.jpeg

And no, I am not crazy about the look. Evocative of Okie State and Texas Tech's alts, frankly. OU's colors and uniform are iconic. We don't need to sexy up our look. Our look is classic. 

That said, obviously I understand that the kids love this stuff, and they are the ones this is for.

But for "old heads" like me it's a bit silly. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic