👍🏻2022 Texas A&M Aggies Thread👍🏻

Stoney

@Stoney @WETSU I don't have a 247 account, but has any reason ever been given why they don't use On3 in the composite?  I remember they used to when Scout was around.  

On3 has a composite, and I do like on a recruits profile that they have the ratings for that player from the other three services.

I mean that is a pretty arbitrary metric. I don’t ever remember seeing someone looking at “ fate of top rated recruit in a specific position” ever before. It was pulled out of their butt.

It completely ignores guys who made it big just because they’re not the “top rated recruits”. It’s REALLY pathetic that twitter people look for stupid stuff like this as some big “gotcha” moment, but they hooked 2 people here already so I guess mission accomplished. 

Demas sat out a year in HS and never got it going. We have so many other awesome talent here and coming. Haters gonna hate. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, PelvisPresley said:

if I was a top WR, I'd look at the info...along with the idea that a Jimbo good offense means you throw it 15-20 times a game (awesome opportunity for targets there) 

Jimbo had a heisman winning QB… he throws it plenty. 

in fact, a Jimbo offense attempted more passes last year than a Sark offense… 363-344 attempts respectively.  If you’re going to bash a coach for his style, please at least do a little research on the subject. 

14 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean that is a pretty arbitrary metric. I don’t ever remember seeing someone looking at “ fate of top rated recruit in a specific position” ever before. It was pulled out of their butt.

It completely ignores guys who made it big just because they’re not the “top rated recruits”. It’s REALLY pathetic that twitter people look for stupid stuff like this as some big “gotcha” moment, but they hooked 2 people here already so I guess mission accomplished. 

Demas sat out a year in HS and never got it going. We have so many other awesome talent here and coming. Haters gonna hate. 

Yes this is one of those things that pop up in the off-season… Those ridiculous stats that are very one sided specifically to make another team look bad. Let’s pull a dozen big time coaches for comparison and see their number 1 players at every position in every class…. I’m sure there’s tons of bust at many positions throughout those coaches. 

But that’s the “fun” in the off-season. Some will pull up metrics that make Jimbos WR production look bad. Those same guys also will use metrics to justify how a 5-7 team “wasn’t as bad as it seemed” and “this coach is building things the right way” etc… Lots of time spent on questionable arguments this time of year. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

in fact, a Jimbo offense attempted more passes last year than a Sark offense… 363-344 attempts respectively.  If you’re going to bash a coach for his style, please at least do a little research on the subject. 

Boom. 

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

Was this expected?  Thought he would play a lot this year and possibly be #1 TE.

Numbers wise there had to be some attrition because of the large signing class. A&M signed 3 TEs. Max Wright is running with the 1’s. Garza went from gray shirt to practice squad MVP. I think I’m forgetting g another TE or 2. Talk is the Johnson kid is having a really good spring.

From everything I have read, Cupp has just never recovered from the toll of injuries. He’s already being passed up as the best receiving TE by jake Johnson and he isn’t as good of blocker as Max Wright. He’s taken a real step back since the leg injuries and there is just so much depth at that position now. I would have stuck it out one more year as he’s only a rs sophomore this season due to getting a Covid year, but I get leaving to have potentially 3 full seasons to play elsewhere where there isn’t elite young guys barking at your door. 

Honestly could see him getting a good look from Texas and Baylor. 

On 3/29/2022 at 12:19 PM, WETSU said:

Since we are talking about accuracy of stats the quoted response could be a bit misleading.  One cannot determine if 363 is actually better than 344 unless the total number of plays is known.  This needs to be presented as a percentage.

I am not defending either side.  Just the accuracy of "doing your research".

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Since we are talking about accuracy of stats the quoted response could be a bit misleading.  One cannot determine if 363 is actually better than 344 unless the total number of plays is known.  This needs to be presented as a percentage.

Texas plays were 344/457 pass to run ratio. 
A&M plays were 363/418 pass to run ratio. 

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

This is a good point. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Texas plays were 344/457 pass to run ratio. 
A&M plays were 363/418 pass to run ratio. 

Using WETSU's stats from above:

Texas passed 43% of the time.

A&M passed 46% of the time.

Texas had 20 more plays from scrimmage.

A&M passed the ball 19 more times than Texas.  Basically 1.5 more passes per game.

Both teams were close to 30 passing attempts per game. 30.3 for A&M and 28.7 for Texas.

A wash IMO.

8 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Using WETSU's stats from above:

Texas passed 43% of the time.

A&M passed 46% of the time.

Texas had 20 more plays from scrimmage.

A&M passed the ball 19 more times than Texas.  Basically 1.5 more passes per game.

Both teams were close to 30 passing attempts per game. 30.3 for A&M and 28.7 for Texas.

A wash IMO.

Yes it’s a wash. Yet many Texas fans continue to post about Jimbo and his offense not being a good choice for WRs. They are coming to this conclusion because A&M has not had a big play WR under Fisher, but that’s not his offensive styles fault. It’s because the room has been plagued by injuries the last two seasons and limited by QBs who cannot throw a deep ball. You will see this offense completely change this year imo because all three QBs on the roster can and like to hit deeper routes. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

Yes it’s a wash. Yet many Texas fans continue to post about Jimbo and his offense not being a good choice for WRs. They are coming to this conclusion because A&M has not had a big play WR under Fisher, but that’s not his offensive styles fault. It’s because the room has been plagued by injuries the last two seasons and limited by QBs who cannot throw a deep ball. You will see this offense completely change this year imo because all three QBs on the roster can and like to hit deeper routes. 

I will also say that while Dameyun Craig is an amazing recruiter, he doesn't seem to develop WRs well. It is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I will also say that while Dameyun Craig is an amazing recruiter, he doesn't seem to develop WRs well. It is what it is. 

Sometimes, WRs develop themselves.  Some guys just catch the ball in space and run fast.  Looks good for combine stats, but IMO those guys don't develop as well although they generally end up with the most *s for recruiting purposes.  The guys I like are similar to Jamar Chase, Christian Kirk, Mike Evans, CeeDee Lamb etc... the guys that will just go up and beat the corner even if they can't shake the guy.  Mike Evans (referencing him specifically bc of the A&M stint) was one of the best at doing it.  Double coverage and could make that play.  Guys like that get better easier.  Those guys are competitors.  They don't want to be the slowest, so they work hard to get faster... but when they still aren't fast enough will beat you with their strength and explosiveness.  

A&M needs those guys.  And a better OL from last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Oh I’m not saying there isn’t a negative argument against A&M in terms of receivers. They haven’t developed as well as one would like, but his argument that it’s a problem with Jimbos offense is just silly. 

Injuries have really hurt several guys under Jimbo. There’s also been years where either QB play or oline play or both was not good. Those all factor into this conversation, but it’s nothing to do with the scheme itself. 

• Mr. P locked this topic