👍🏻2022 Texas A&M Aggies Thread👍🏻

Stoney

Really think Haynes is the right move here. Max is the safer pick for 9 wins but Haynes is a guy who will take the chances required to get you to 11 wins. I’ll take a turnover here and there if it means stretching the field. A&M cannot afford to not push the ball. Even if it cost a game if they go into another off-season of not knowing whether Fisher can create a more explosive offense, you can kiss QB and Wr recruiting goodbye. The time is now. I’d rather win 9 with some serious downfield improvement than win 10 and still have questions about stretching the field. Give me 11 wins and Jimbo can do whatever the hell he wants lol. 

• Like 3

I’m not surprised that Jimbo went with the more experienced QB as his starter. What I am surprised by, however, is that Max Johnson has been named QB2, making Conner Weigman 3rd on the depth chart. I’m curious your thoughts on this?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lobo97 said:

I’m not surprised that Jimbo went with the more experienced QB as his starter. What I am surprised by, however, is that Max Johnson has been named QB2, making Conner Weigman 3rd on the depth chart. I’m curious your thoughts on this?

I’m not surprised at all. Max is started 14 conference games in his career. He’s got the highest floor of the group and is a very capable player. It makes sense to have him as the backup even if it’s over a more talented Weigman. That being said, if King was to go down with injury let’s say week 4 and Weigman is a little farther along in his development, I think you’ll see Weigman over Johnson. Weigman has been reported by every A&M source as being the best QB on the roster in terms of ability, it’s just hard to beat out a player in his 3rd season of the system and a experienced player like Johnson by first game. But Weigman is undoubtedly the future. Wouldn’t surprise me if even though he’s 3rd string, he’s the guy that gets reps in mop up duty not Johnson. 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 4:25 PM, WETSU said:

I’ll take a turnover here and there if it means stretching the field...

Yeah, the "knock" on Haynes are interceptions that sometimes result from him trying to break a big play. He's got a little bit of a gambler in him when it comes to the deep ball. The onus is on the receivers to fight for position and make the play. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I look at it this way. If King is not named starter he hits Transfer portal. Johnson does not have that ability with out sitting out a year now. If he is not named QB2 he is disgruntled and it could affect his brother.  Doing it this way provides a Quality QB1 and a Quality QB2. Weigman will redshirt until he learne playbook. Which is what I have learned he is lacking. 

Still think that if they lose a game before Alabama game, Weigman will take over 

18 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Looking at the a&m schedule, I'd say 9 wins is about right, 10 maybe, more than that is wishful thinking ...

Disagree - A&M's Offensive line is going to be stronger than given credit - Running game is going to be dominant. 

Hoping passing game is going to stretch field this year as well. Receiving corp has been banged up and they are healthy now. As well as adding WR1 this year. 10-2 is ground floor. 11-1 is achievable.  

A 10 win regular season is the floor. There always seems like one game in the SEC that seems like a win until the crazy stuff happens during the game, leading to a loss. Bama is a loss on paper. The gap seems to be narrowing. Not having the home field advantage this year will have an impact. If you avoid the trap game you’re looking at potentially 11-1, bowl game 12-1 at the ceiling.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:25 PM, WETSU said:

Really think Haynes is the right move here. Max is the safer pick for 9 wins but Haynes is a guy who will take the chances required to get you to 11 wins. I’ll take a turnover here and there if it means stretching the field. A&M cannot afford to not push the ball. Even if it cost a game if they go into another off-season of not knowing whether Fisher can create a more explosive offense, you can kiss QB and Wr recruiting goodbye. The time is now. I’d rather win 9 with some serious downfield improvement than win 10 and still have questions about stretching the field. Give me 11 wins and Jimbo can do whatever the hell he wants lol. 

I’m hearing Jimbo doesn’t want to upset the THSCA which is why he went with King.  Anything to that?

• LOL! 1

14 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I’m hearing Jimbo doesn’t want to upset the THSCA which is why he went with King.  Anything to that?

I doubt it. But like the 40mil signing class, if it came from a random poster on a different teams message board then it is absolutely must be true. 

Honestly I think King is just farther ahead with the offense. I think King has reached the point where he’s the guy that has a handle on the entire playbook and has the ability to do things that Max Johnson cannot because he is processing everything faster and offers some athleticism that Johnson does not. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

A 10 win regular season is the floor. There always seems like one game in the SEC that seems like a win until the crazy stuff happens during the game, leading to a loss. Bama is a loss on paper. The gap seems to be narrowing. Not having the home field advantage this year will have an impact. If you avoid the trap game you’re looking at potentially 11-1, bowl game 12-1 at the ceiling.

10 wins is the floor? Based on what? And I'm not trying to take shots are anything else here, I'm legitimately asking. 

You've had 1 double digit win season in the last 23 years. There's still plenty of ??'s at the QB position. If there weren't, there wouldn't be all the comments already about, 'If Haynes struggles, or if they lose X number of games Weigman takes over', etc. Not to mention, we ALL know, Aggies included (because again, even you all talk about this every year), that they always lose a game or two that they shouldn't. So I'm truly curious why you think 10 wins is the floor?

Alabama, Arkansas, Ole Miss, those could all easily be losses. Then throw in toss up games and games you shouldn't lose, but still may, and I think if you're being realistic about the 'floor', then 8 wins is what I would legitimately call the floor. I think 9-10 should be the expectation, but the floor is absolutely lower than 10. 

21 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

10 wins is the floor? Based on what? And I'm not trying to take shots are anything else here, I'm legitimately asking. 

You've had 1 double digit win season in the last 23 years. There's still plenty of ??'s at the QB position. If there weren't, there wouldn't be all the comments already about, 'If Haynes struggles, or if they lose X number of games Weigman takes over', etc. Not to mention, we ALL know, Aggies included (because again, even you all talk about this every year), that they always lose a game or two that they shouldn't. So I'm truly curious why you think 10 wins is the floor?

Alabama, Arkansas, Ole Miss, those could all easily be losses. Then throw in toss up games and games you shouldn't lose, but still may, and I think if you're being realistic about the 'floor', then 8 wins is what I would legitimately call the floor. I think 9-10 should be the expectation, but the floor is absolutely lower than 10. 

I agree, but I think EVERY team has a floor lower than 10, including Alabama. There’s not a team around that wins every game they are favored in. Even the “elites” drop a game they shouldn’t most years. I also don’t think a teams previous records factor in when projecting a current season. Here’s the best example… Texas went 5-7 last year and has tons of questions all over the field, yet most feel pretty good about projecting 8-10 wins. That’s because you factor in talent on the team relative to those you on the schedule. Same can be said for A&M. They have questions sure, but so do all the others on their schedule. Based on talent metrics and things of that nature A&M probably does project in that 10-11 win total. 

What I think Stoney meant by floor though is that A&M will likely be favored in 11 of their 12 games. 10 wins would factor in losing to the team they are picked to lose to as well as dropping one they are picked to win. 10 wins is the floor of what’s “acceptable” in terms of whether or not this season was a success. I absolutely agree with you this team could fall to 8-4 again, but as I pointed out there’s a solid argument for EVERY team to drop a game or two they shouldn’t and finish below their “accepted” floor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WETSU said:

I doubt it. But like the 40mil signing class, if it came from a random poster on a different teams message board then it is absolutely must be true. 

Honestly I think King is just farther ahead with the offense. I think King has reached the point where he’s the guy that has a handle on the entire playbook and has the ability to do things that Max Johnson cannot because he is processing everything faster and offers some athleticism that Johnson does not. 

As true as sark starting Ewers because the donors said to?

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

As true as sark starting Ewers because the donors said to?

I mean you’re the one that started the precedent of guilty until proven innocent with the way you ran with the nil rumors. I just was following the status quo of the board. 

But in all seriousness it’s all speculation. There’s no hard facts either way. I mean to me if the whole sports world is willing to believe A&M spent 40 mil on unproven amateur athletes is it really that big of stretch to think the guys writing the checks told Sark what to do or that Jimbo is pandering to the coaches who he needs their support to recruit? To me if one is believable they all are. They all seem a little far fetched but that’s internet off-season rumors for you. 

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I mean you’re the one that started the precedent of guilty until proven innocent with the way you ran with the nil rumors. I just was following the status quo of the board. 

But in all seriousness it’s all speculation. There’s no hard facts either way. I mean to me if the whole sports world is willing to believe A&M spent 40 mil on unproven amateur athletes is it really that big of stretch to think the guys writing the checks told Sark what to do or that Jimbo is pandering to the coaches who he needs their support to recruit? To me if one is believable they all are. They all seem a little far fetched but that’s internet off-season rumors for you. 

What rumors?  Aggie signees we’re telling other kids they were getting paid upon committing.  An Aggie coach/rep was caught on tape saying the folks sitting in the boxes would pay them.  That was a recruiting violation in itself.  What rumors?

rumors are you taking bits, piecing it together and telling it as half truth “but it sounds legit”.  That’s a rumor.  Funny thing, sdc (you) have been the only one I saw saying it.

6 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Nailed it ... I'd say 8 wins is the floor ... 9-10 wins is more than likely .... 11 is wishful thinking .... my guess is 10 wins and a Dec 31 - Jan 2 bowl game ....

• Mr. P locked this topic