👍🏻2022 Texas A&M Aggies Thread👍🏻

Stoney

13 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I think the running game would have been there last week if Jimbo tried it more. They just never trusted it. Would throw a pass on 1st down and then get behind the chains and never recover. Honestly that was about as poor of offense performance as possible

From what I know about decades of A&M athletics, they will come out on Saturday and look great. Probably beat Miami by 17 and everyone will be like “That’s the team I thought we would see this year!”  Everyone will get their hopes back up just to drop the next 3. If there’s one thing A&M is good at it’s doing just enough to keep you hopeful. 

How many games have we seen that from our play caller? The Arkansas game last year. 3 man front, 8 back. Calzada couldn’t make a pass but the running game finally came around. Spiller has the long TD run and we’re back within a score. Jimbo goes back to the pass and/or Calzada was checking into it. Same thing with the game at Georgia in the rain. Mond was off, running game was making plays and we got away from it. Same with Mond and the game at Clemson when he was hurt. Something needs to change with the play calling but we really need to be looking at a new OC for ‘23. This is Jimbo’s Saban “is that what we want offense to look like” moment. Adapt or become irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

How many games have we seen that from our play caller? The Arkansas game last year. 3 man front, 8 back. Calzada couldn’t make a pass but the running game finally came around. Spiller has the long TD run and we’re back within a score. Jimbo goes back to the pass and/or Calzada was checking into it. Same thing with the game at Georgia in the rain. Mond was off, running game was making plays and we got away from it. Same with Mond and the game at Clemson when he was hurt. Something needs to change with the play calling but we really need to be looking at a new OC for ‘23. This is Jimbo’s Saban “is that what we want offense to look like” moment. Adapt or become irrelevant.

This will forever be why Saban is the greatest coach of all time. He adapts better than anyone in the business. Whether it’s on the field schemes or recruiting tactics. 

Jimbo is not in that mold. He’s stubborn about his offense. He operates on the assumption that the system itself can be perfect you just have to get all the kids to execute. And he’s right. Jimbos scheme when ran well is darn near unstoppable from a schematics standpoint. It’s enough of every concept that you can control games against whatever the defense shows you. The issue is you rarely get that level of execution out of 11 guys under the age of 22. This is a NFL level scheme that’s a full time job trying to learn and you’re giving it to kids trying to pass 15 college hours and learn how to handle being an adult for the first time. It’s just too much. There’s a reason you’ll see these great offenses running the same 15-20 plays at warp speed. They are easy to rep and you get easy plays for your athletes. Jimbo finds a way to literally scheme his best players out of their potential half the time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

I think the running game would have been there last week if Jimbo tried it more. They just never trusted it. Would throw a pass on 1st down and then get behind the chains and never recover. Honestly that was about as poor of offense performance as possible. 

From what I know about decades of A&M athletics, they will come out on Saturday and look great. Probably beat Miami by 17 and everyone will be like “That’s the team I thought we would see this year!”  Everyone will get their hopes back up just to drop the next 3. If there’s one thing A&M is good at it’s doing just enough to keep you hopeful. 

King was 7 of 10...10 passes to me says he was trusting the run. Play calling seems to be the issue.

• Like 1

Just now, PelvisPresley said:

King was 7 of 10...10 passes to me says he was trusting the run. Play calling seems to be the issue.

King was 13-20. 20 passing attempts compared to only 18 rushing attempts. 8 of those by king. 

When your RBs only touch the ball on 10 carries, you’re not getting them enough work. 

22 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

They weren't better physically ....  the aggys had superior athletes .... they just got out couched ..... and they got out hustled .... 

My point has nothing to do with the players on the field and everything to do with whatever gameplan you want to call that and how it was executed.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

My point has nothing to do with the players on the field and everything to do with whatever gameplan you want to call that and how it was executed.

That's the thing. You can throw Johnson or Weigman back there, but it's going to be the same exact game plan. 

26 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Like I said .... out coached = poor game plan .... and out hustled ....

39 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

That's the thing. You can throw Johnson or Weigman back there, but it's going to be the same exact game plan. 

In theory, but throwing Weigman out there realistically shrinks the playbook in half. Often time shrinking the playbook means less thinking and more playing. Which is what A&M needs. 

That’s why I think you get sophomore slumps so often. The playbook is small for a fish, then in year 2 they get more playbook but tend to not always excel at it quite yet. Year 3 they catch back up and thrive. This happens even at the nfl level. 

• Like 1

This feels like a game where A&M comes out and plays to its potential, with a night game at home.  Feels like a 21/24-17/14 type game.  I think Miami has the better QB and OL between the two, but overall they seem about average offensively so far.  And if the same Aggie OL shows up from the last two weeks, then it's going to be ugly because Miami has some dudes up front on DL.  

I seen that Kevin Steele (Miami DC) has faced Jimbo six times and has usually kept them in the high teens/into the twenty's score wise.

If A&M loses it feels like the wheels may fall off and that locker room may explode seeing that a few players have already tweeted/liked stuff this week about people being critical of Jimbo's offense/scheme.  Next three after this game doesn't get any easier.

2 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

This feels like a game where A&M comes out and plays to its potential, with a night game at home.  Feels like a 21/24-17/14 type game.  I think Miami has the better QB and OL between the two, but overall they seem about average offensively so far.  And if the same Aggie OL shows up from the last two weeks, then it's going to be ugly because Miami has some dudes up front on DL.  

I seen that Kevin Steele (Miami DC) has faced Jimbo six times and has usually kept them in the high teens/into the twenty's score wise.

If A&M loses it feels like the wheels may fall off and that locker room may explode seeing that a few players have already tweeted/liked stuff this week about people being critical of Jimbo's offense/scheme.  Next three after this game doesn't get any easier.

Agreed this is a back against the wall moment for Jimbo and this team. 

Just now, PelvisPresley said:

my bad...I don't know where I was seeing 7 of 10 for 97 yards.

Might have been first half or something. But yea they only had the ball in the RBs hands for 10/38 plays. That’s not trusting the run game imo. I’d like to see that number closer to 25/60. I’m pretty sure I saw a stat last year where when Jimbo has a individual back run for 100 he only had one loss in his career. 

38 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Whoa, that’s really astounding, only 38 plays.

😬

It was terrible. Also had 2 turnovers and put the ball on the ground 2 additional times as well. Fumbled the ball on more than 10% of plays…. Just a day worth forgetting but is so bad you can’t. A&M will have to go 9-1 the rest of the way to even come close to getting the stink off this one. 

29 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It was terrible. Also had 2 turnovers and put the ball on the ground 2 additional times as well. Fumbled the ball on more than 10% of plays…. Just a day worth forgetting but is so bad you can’t. A&M will have to go 9-1 the rest of the way to even come close to getting the stink off this one. 

Okay, when you put it like that I take it back, some of it is definitely on King. I gotta believe Johnson can do better.

7 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Okay, when you put it like that I take it back, some of it is definitely on King. I gotta believe Johnson can do better.

He missed on 3-4 throws that were huge misses. The other thing is Haynes is very athletic, but just looks like he can barely walk and chew gum at the same time out there. Nothing is natural or smooth about him. Even when he scrambled it looked like he might break a leg just running. Everything is just so clunky and awkward. 

18 hours ago, WETSU said:

He missed on 3-4 throws that were huge misses. The other thing is Haynes is very athletic, but just looks like he can barely walk and chew gum at the same time out there. Nothing is natural or smooth about him. Even when he scrambled it looked like he might break a leg just running. Everything is just so clunky and awkward. 

My A&M buddies call him Bambi lol

• Mr. P locked this topic