👍🏻2022 Texas A&M Aggies Thread👍🏻

Stoney

I’ll forever be okay with losing games because our offense is too simple and we just can’t execute because our athletes aren’t as good as the other teams. But that’s rarely going to happen anymore with this roster. Just let your dudes go be dudes. You don’t bring in 5 star receivers to have them running drags and timing routes. A solid 3 star can do that. Let your 5 star guys go be 5 star guys in go routes and taking screens to the house. 

37 minutes ago, WETSU said:

At this point, Yes. A&M is in a position where in 2023 they have a legitimate shot at an sec title. They are the second youngest two deep in the entire country this year based on depth charts listed for each team. 

So what you’ve got it a situation where they are going to have some growing pains. Especially on the road. In theory they still have a chance to run the table and make the sec title this season but we know that’s unlikely. My opinion is start preparing for next season by getting the future some reps after the Bama game this week. Go ahead and give Bama your best shot even though it’s probably not going to be enough. Then you have a bye the following week followed by a very winnable South Carolina the week after. I would get through this Bama week with King then hand the reigns over to Weigman so you get two full weeks of starters reps and a manageable opponent for his first game. 

You’re fussing about this season, but touting a run to win the sec next year????  Eternal Aggy optimism much???

WET, we discussed this earlier. At what time have you seen enough from King/Max to make the change to Weigman. I think we’re at that point. Get through the Bama game. Then have 2 weeks to prepare Weigman to start against South Carolina and ROS. If this kid can’t breathe life into this stagnant offense then you need to pull the plug on your time as OC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

You’re fussing about this season, but touting a run to win the sec next year????  Eternal Aggy optimism much???

A&M is the second youngest two deep in the entire country. It’s looking like every single SEC west opponent will have a new starting QB next season most likely. There is not only an opportunity for A&M to improve, but for others to decline. It’s not as far of a stretch as your making it out to be with this much talent on a roster. 

42 minutes ago, WETSU said:

A&M is the second youngest two deep in the entire country. It’s looking like every single SEC west opponent will have a new starting QB next season most likely. There is not only an opportunity for A&M to improve, but for others to decline. It’s not as far of a stretch as your making it out to be with this much talent on a roster. 

Transfer portal.  Ask Lane Kiffin about it.  It has changed college football.  You better try everything to get to that 10 win mark Aggies we’re talking about hitting this year.  Always pointing to next year is what Mediocre teams do.  Trust me, as a longhorn fan Next year has been our best year the last decade. There comes a time where the staff and team have to nut up and get it done.  

Edited by DB2point0

16 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Transfer portal.  Ask Lane Kiffin about it.  It has changed college football.  You better try everything to get to that 10 win mark Aggies we’re talking about hitting this year.  Always pointing to next year is what Mediocre teams do.  Trust me, as a longhorn fan Next year has been our best year the last decade. There comes a time where the staff and team have to nut up and get it done.  

I do think there’s a line being walked about getting to 10 wins while also preparing for the future. I believe they could ride Achane and King into the ground via RPOs and zone reads and it would get them Flirting with 10 wins. But you also are in the same exact position from a development standpoint the following year. I think Jimbo after this weekend will have a decision to make. It’s likely he’s sitting at 3-3 and entering a bye. He can play King or Johnson and hope for the best to squeak out a 9-3 season but most likely finish 8-4 or even 7-5. Or he could play Weigman and likely worst case you’re sitting at 6-6 or 7-5 and but you’ll know that either Weigman is the answer moving forward or if you need to hit the portal for a plug and play QB. You also will know more about your OC situation as well. If Weigman comes in and shows potential in the current system then you might could keep Jimbo calling plays and build. If you bring Weigman in and the offense struggles just like with the other two QBs you’ll know a change is needed at either the scheme, the position or both. 

Long story short. You know what you have with Johnson and King at this point. Both are 3rd year guys and there isn’t typically much improvement after that. Play Weigman and you can gather answers on many different things from scheme to personnel. 

TAMU SEC offensive rankings 
13th Total Yards

14th Yards per game

13th passing yards per game

12th rushing yards per game

6 passing TDs to 4 INT

12 sacks given up 4th highest in SEC

TAMU SEC defensive rankings 

13th sacks

13th INTs

5th fumble recoveries 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

TAMU SEC offensive rankings 
13th Total Yards

14th Yards per game

13th passing yards per game

12th rushing yards per game

6 passing TDs to 4 INT

12 sacks given up 4th highest in SEC

TAMU SEC defensive rankings 

13th sacks

13th INTs

5th fumble recoveries 

The defense is just so bland right now. Normally teams with veteran back ends can afford to be aggressive and exotic in their blitz packages. Hell Durkin has a ton of experience in that. So why do they continue to run 3 man fronts and drop 8 majority of the time? They send 4 from time to time but I haven’t seen ma y plays yet where you get a 5 or even a 6th rusher like many other teams. I think this is a product of Jimbo because the one game I watched elko and Duke they blitz far more than I remember us doing. 

48 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I do think there’s a line being walked about getting to 10 wins while also preparing for the future. I believe they could ride Achane and King into the ground via RPOs and zone reads and it would get them Flirting with 10 wins. But you also are in the same exact position from a development standpoint the following year. I think Jimbo after this weekend will have a decision to make. It’s likely he’s sitting at 3-3 and entering a bye. He can play King or Johnson and hope for the best to squeak out a 9-3 season but most likely finish 8-4 or even 7-5. Or he could play Weigman and likely worst case you’re sitting at 6-6 or 7-5 and but you’ll know that either Weigman is the answer moving forward or if you need to hit the portal for a plug and play QB. You also will know more about your OC situation as well. If Weigman comes in and shows potential in the current system then you might could keep Jimbo calling plays and build. If you bring Weigman in and the offense struggles just like with the other two QBs you’ll know a change is needed at either the scheme, the position or both. 

Long story short. You know what you have with Johnson and King at this point. Both are 3rd year guys and there isn’t typically much improvement after that. Play Weigman and you can gather answers on many different things from scheme to personnel. 

You also know what you have with Fisher calling the plays.  Do you think an untested freshman executes the plays any better than the two upperclassmen????  Fisher will still be calling the plays!

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

I thought this team with this schedule could and should be a 10 win team. That was before we found out our OL can’t block for 💩under the new OL coach. 5 games in and things haven’t improved. Speaking of 💩, is our OC bad because of the QBs or are the QBs bad because of the OC or is it both? Let’s talk defense. Durkin’s defense has 6 sacks which ranks 13th out of 14 SEC schools. How in the heck with that d-line talent? 5 turnovers? This isn’t an aggressive defense. We have a defense sitting back on its heels all game long and an offensive that looks like it was invented by Kirt back in the prehistoric ages.

Naw, we ran a much more sophisticated offense with a lot of traps and misdiredtion than this anemic aggy offense ...

18 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You also know what you have with Fisher calling the plays.  Do you think an untested freshman executes the plays any better than the two upperclassmen????  Fisher will still be calling the plays!

I think the playbook shrinks which leads  reads that the entire team can execute better. We saw it with Mond in his first season as a young player. The playbook shrank and Treyveon Williams was the leading rusher in the SEC. The offense wasn’t great but it was serviceable and far better than what is out there today. I 100% that even with Jimbo calling plays things would work better and there is evidence to back that. 

I also think that just having a more natural QB will do wonders for this team. You can watch the games and literally see guys running downfield open. You can see Achane running for 8.5 yards per carry. The plays can work. There is just not any consistency there to string 10 of them together and finish drives. Now that doesn’t just change because you put in Weigman, but I think that this offense is certainly capable of flipping a switch if the right spark comes at QB. Another thing to point out is this offense started 2 true freshman a sophomore making his second career start at WR, had a true freshman TE., and Every single offense line starter is a sophomore. 2 of the 5 oline starters have also missed most of fall camp with injuries and are still battling them. This team is insanely young.

Honestly I’ll be the first to admit I vastly overrated them entering the season. Mainly because I did not account for how young they would be and I did not see the injury bug being this big of issue for a second straight season but that appears to be the case. S&C is second on my list of problem areas. 

Edited by WETSU

8 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I think everyone also thought King would perform at a much higher level, which hasn’t materialized.

I think you and I discussed how grossly overrated he was coming out of high school.  We both agreed we were glad he didn’t pick Texas.  

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I think the playbook shrinks which leads  reads that the entire team can execute better. We saw it with Mond in his first season as a young player. The playbook shrank and Treyveon Williams was the leading rusher in the SEC. The offense wasn’t great but it was serviceable and far better than what is out there today. I 100% that even with Jimbo calling plays things would work better and there is evidence to back that. 

I also think that just having a more natural QB will do wonders for this team. You can watch the games and literally see guys running downfield open. You can see Achane running for 8.5 yards per carry. The plays can work. There is just not any consistency there to string 10 of them together and finish drives. Now that doesn’t just change because you put in Weigman, but I think that this offense is certainly capable of flipping a switch if the right spark comes at QB. Another thing to point out is this offense started 2 true freshman a sophomore making his second career start at WR, had a true freshman TE., and Every single offense line starter is a sophomore. 2 of the 5 oline starters have also missed most of fall camp with injuries and are still battling them. This team is insanely young.

Honestly I’ll be the first to admit I vastly overrated them entering the season. Mainly because I did not account for how young they would be and I did not see the injury bug being this big of issue for a second straight season but that appears to be the case. S&C is second on my list of problem areas. 

So Jimbo is the problem or he is not.  Which is it?  He needs to give up play calling or he’s good and the evidence is there to prove it?  I’m reading every which way.  

29 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think you and I discussed how grossly overrated he was coming out of high school.  We both agreed we were glad he didn’t pick Texas.  

Yeah, I have always thought he was an athletic player who doesn’t throw a very pretty ball.

I am glad he and Longview won state his junior season, but he actually seemed to regress his senior season of high school.

Now, is Weigman going to be better, maybe not?

King was at one time the #1 QB in the country in his class.

I never thought he was that good and Weigman looks good, but I don’t know that he will ultimately be better than King could be.

I’m sure Aggies thought King was no doubt the future much like many currently think Weigman is.

King has been dropped faster than a hot potato by the coaching staff and A&M fans.

Do I think King is the greatest, no, but I also wouldn’t give up on him in favor of Weigman so fast.

At one time, King was the future and truthfully, he’s been yanked and tossed to the side extremely quickly.  He was made the fall guy.  I understand King didn’t play well against App State, but the whole team stunk not just King.

This time last year, Aggies were all lathered up waiting to get King in and now they’ve given up on him for the next guy.

Not throwing rocks, because it’s not like there’s not a ton of glass in UT’s house (hahaha) I just feel like A&M fans are too quick to want to move on to the next big recruit, especially at QB.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

So Jimbo is the problem or he is not.  Which is it?  He needs to give up play calling or he’s good and the evidence is there to prove it?  I’m reading every which way.  

That’s not what is being said. It’s not surprising you can’t understand but I’ll try to dumb it down for you. 

Jimbos offense is a problem right now. It has not always been a problem in the past. Can Jimbo fix it to be more like the past or does he just need to move on. 

55 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Yeah, I have always thought he was an athletic player who doesn’t throw a very pretty ball.

I am glad he and Longview won state his junior season, but he actually seemed to regress his senior season of high school.

Now, is Weigman going to be better, maybe not?

King was at one time the #1 QB in the country in his class.

I never thought he was that good and Weigman looks good, but I don’t know that he will ultimately be better than King could be.

I’m sure Aggies thought King was no doubt the future much like many currently think Weigman is.

King has been dropped faster than a hot potato by the coaching staff and A&M fans.

Do I think King is the greatest, no, but I also wouldn’t give up on him in favor of Weigman so fast.

At one time, King was the future and truthfully, he’s been yanked and tossed to the side extremely quickly.  He was made the fall guy.  I understand King didn’t play well against App State, but the whole team stunk not just King.

This time last year, Aggies were all lathered up waiting to get King in and now they’ve given up on him for the next guy.

Not throwing rocks, because it’s not like there’s not a ton of glass in UT’s house (hahaha) I just feel like A&M fans are too quick to want to move on to the next big recruit, especially at QB.

No arguments with that last part. I think the biggest issue it’s that it’s his third year in the system and he makes the kind of mistakes I think we would see out of Weigman. It’s like one of those situations where when you are going to get comparable production out of both why not go with the younger guy. 

Jimbo specifically addressed knowledge of the playbook as the reason for King being the guy. I think the hope was because basically the entire offense besides Achane and Ainias were young, you could use the more experienced player to try to mask some of the issues. That just hasn’t been the case for when Haynes plays. And honestly Weigman is nearly the same level athlete but has a much better arm and natural feel for the position. If King is going to be making freshman level mistakes and having this many turnovers (whether all his fault or not) why not go with the young guy. 

30 minutes ago, WETSU said:

That’s not what is being said. It’s not surprising you can’t understand but I’ll try to dumb it down for you. 

Jimbos offense is a problem right now. It has not always been a problem in the past. Can Jimbo fix it to be more like the past or does he just need to move on. 

30 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’ve read in this very thread that Jimbo needs to give up play calling, hire a young OC, consult the current OC, etc….  You’ve also said he knows how to dumb down the offense and made it easier for mond. Why can’t he do it now for King?  Why does he have to scrap the season and put the freshman in with a dumbed down offense?  I’ve also read that a lot of fans are mad at Jimbo for “throwing his players under the bus” with his not executing mantra.  

32 minutes ago, WETSU said:

No arguments with that last part. I think the biggest issue it’s that it’s his third year in the system and he makes the kind of mistakes I think we would see out of Weigman. It’s like one of those situations where when you are going to get comparable production out of both why not go with the younger guy. 

Jimbo specifically addressed knowledge of the playbook as the reason for King being the guy. I think the hope was because basically the entire offense besides Achane and Ainias were young, you could use the more experienced player to try to mask some of the issues. That just hasn’t been the case for when Haynes plays. And honestly Weigman is nearly the same level athlete but has a much better arm and natural feel for the position. If King is going to be making freshman level mistakes and having this many turnovers (whether all his fault or not) why not go with the young guy. 

3rd year in system and knowledge of the playbook doesn’t equate to experience.  I think King needs to take his lumps and grow.

Jimbo Fisher’s offenses since 2018 (SEC rankings)

Total Yards Per Game

2018-471.6 (4th)

2019- 394.5 (8th)

2020- 439.2 (4th)

2021- 391.6 (11th)

2022- 334.4 (14th)

Passing Yards Per Game

2018- 252.6 (5th)

2019- 235.4 (4th)

2020- 234.1 (9th)

2021- 208.6 (12th)

2022- 205.4 (13th)

Rushing Yards Per Game

2018- 219.0 (3rd)

2019- 159.1 (8th)

2020- 205.1 (2nd) 

2021- 183.0 (7th)

2022- 129.0 (12th)

Points Per Game

2018- 36.0 (4th)

2019- 29.5 (6th)

2020- 32.6 (4th)

2021- 29.3 (8th)

2022- 21.8 (14th)

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Total Yards Per Game

2018-471.6 (4th)

2019- 394.5 (8th)

2020- 439.2 (4th)

2021- 391.6 (11th)

2022- 334.4 (14th)

Passing Yards Per Game

2018- 252.6 (5th)

2019- 235.4 (4th)

2020- 234.1 (9th)

2021- 208.6 (12th)

2022- 205.4 (13th)

Rushing Yards Per Game

2018- 219.0 (3rd)

2019- 159.1 (8th)

2020- 205.1 (2nd) 

2021- 183.0 (7th)

2022- 129.0 (12th)

Points Per Game

2018- 36.0 (4th)

2019- 29.5 (6th)

2020- 32.6 (4th)

2021- 29.3 (8th)

2022- 21.8 (14th)

It's a little more nuanced than that. The thing is, in 2018-2020, his teams played a time of possession game. While the offense wasn't lighting up the scoreboard, it was keeping opposing offenses off the field well enough. A&M was top 5 in the nation in time of possession in 2018 and 2020, and top 10 in 2019. 

The problem now is that the offense is one of the worst in time of possession. Gotta get that figured out/fixed. 

10 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Total Yards Per Game

2018-471.6 (4th)

2019- 394.5 (8th)

2020- 439.2 (4th)

2021- 391.6 (11th)

2022- 334.4 (14th)

Passing Yards Per Game

2018- 252.6 (5th)

2019- 235.4 (4th)

2020- 234.1 (9th)

2021- 208.6 (12th)

2022- 205.4 (13th)

Rushing Yards Per Game

2018- 219.0 (3rd)

2019- 159.1 (8th)

2020- 205.1 (2nd) 

2021- 183.0 (7th)

2022- 129.0 (12th)

Points Per Game

2018- 36.0 (4th)

2019- 29.5 (6th)

2020- 32.6 (4th)

2021- 29.3 (8th)

2022- 21.8 (14th)

Wow!  ... I didn’t realize how "elite" Jumbo really was! ....

15 hours ago, Stoney said:

Total Yards Per Game

2018-471.6 (4th)

2019- 394.5 (8th)

2020- 439.2 (4th)

2021- 391.6 (11th)

2022- 334.4 (14th)

Passing Yards Per Game

2018- 252.6 (5th)

2019- 235.4 (4th)

2020- 234.1 (9th)

2021- 208.6 (12th)

2022- 205.4 (13th)

Rushing Yards Per Game

2018- 219.0 (3rd)

2019- 159.1 (8th)

2020- 205.1 (2nd) 

2021- 183.0 (7th)

2022- 129.0 (12th)

Points Per Game

2018- 36.0 (4th)

2019- 29.5 (6th)

2020- 32.6 (4th)

2021- 29.3 (8th)

2022- 21.8 (14th)

NCAA Ranks at FSU before A&M

Team offense

2010- 55th
2011- 73rd
2012- 23rd
2013- 2nd
2014- 43rd
2015- 47th
2016- 43rd
2017- 21st

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

NCAA Ranks at FSU before A&M

Team offense

2010- 55th
2011- 73rd
2012- 23rd
2013- 2nd
2014- 43rd
2015- 47th
2016- 43rd
2017- 21st

I believe that 2013 was NC year with Winston at QB.

• Like 2

• Mr. P locked this topic