๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป2022 Texas A&M Aggies Thread๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Stoney

2 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

of course, all injury and tragedy lead through College Station

I mean, you literally asked "what happened to max johnson?"ย 

He broke his hand. Your ignorance of our situation is well documented. Sorry I can see our season for what it is and I'm not as upset about it as you want me to be.ย 

Edited by JohnnyFootball

41 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

You realize that of all that "composite talent", virtually none of it is playing due to injury, right?ย 

Are you defending the coaching now?ย  I'm confused.ย  This team is bad.ย  Depth should not be an issue to land you with a potential 4 win season with the #4 talent in the NCAA.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Are you defending the coaching now?ย  I'm confused.ย  This team is bad.ย  Depth should not be an issue to land you with a potential 4 win season with the #4 talent in the NCAA.

I said what I said. If that's "Defending coaching" to you, then whatever. I have acknowledged the problems with Jimbo's offense, playcalling, and lack of use of the transfer portal to fill in key positions about a thousand times in this thread. But another joker pops up every week posting the same stupid tweets that don't take into account the nuance of our football season like they're the first genius to have the thought.ย 

The talent that is actually playing in the games, while highly rated, is extremely young due to the older, more experienced talent, being hurt. It'd be one thing if a couple guys were out. But it's been a lot. The entire offensive line. Ainias Smith. Devon Achane. Multiple QBs. The TE. That's just on offense. There were 5 true freshmen starting on offense this Saturday.ย 

Snap counts by True Freshman

Texas A&Mย - 4,597
Ole Miss - 2,393
LSU - 2,130
Georgiaย - 1,694
Vanderbilt - 1,677
Kentucky - 1,552
South Carolina - 1,394
Alabama - 1,139
Floridaย - 1,133
Tennesseeย - 915
Missouri - 592
Auburn - 547
Arkansas - 219
Mississippi State - 49

A&M literally doubles the second place team when it comes to true freshmen playing. So yeah, they are highly rated but very raw. People who dismiss A&M's injury situation are very clearly ignorant of just how drastic it has been.ย 

12 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I said what I said. If that's "Defending coaching" to you, then whatever. I have acknowledged the problems with Jimbo's offense, playcalling, and lack of use of the transfer portal to fill in key positions about a thousand times in this thread. But another joker pops up every week posting the same stupid tweets that don't take into account the nuance of our football season like they're the first genius to have the thought.ย 

The talent that is actually playing in the games, while highly rated, is extremely young due to the older, more experienced talent, being hurt. It'd be one thing if a couple guys were out. But it's been a lot. The entire offensive line. Ainias Smith. Devon Achane. Multiple QBs. The TE. That's just on offense. There were 5 true freshmen starting on offense this Saturday.ย 

Snap counts by True Freshman

Texas A&Mย - 4,597
Ole Miss - 2,393
LSU - 2,130
Georgiaย - 1,694
Vanderbilt - 1,677
Kentucky - 1,552
South Carolina - 1,394
Alabama - 1,139
Floridaย - 1,133
Tennesseeย - 915
Missouri - 592
Auburn - 547
Arkansas - 219
Mississippi State - 49

A&M literally doubles the second place team when it comes to true freshmen playing. So yeah, they are highly rated but very raw. People who dismiss A&M's injury situation are very clearly ignorant of just how drastic it has been.ย 

I think this is a bit misleading though, and also raises other questions.ย 

For starters, this is counting total snaps, not starts. I only point that out, because when you sign the #1 class of all time, then of course you're going to see a lot of true freshman getting snaps throughout the season. That doesn't mean it was all due to injury (that's not to say A&M hasn't had their share of injuries. I'm well aware of that, and will get to that in a moment). Case and point, there were at least a half dozen players from A&M's '22 class that starting playing in week 1. That wasn't because of injury, it was because of how good those players were....Evan Stewart, Chris Marhsall, Walter Nolan, Shemar Stewart, Denver Harris, Brycy Anderson, and there may have been more.

The second team on this list, Ole Miss, had the #27 recruiting class. 0 5*'s, and 6 4*'s. A&M had 8 5 *'s alone. Naturally they're going to see more A&M freshman playing than Ole Miss.ย 

ย 

This also leads me to the injuries A&M has suffered this year.ย 

In the last 4 years, A&M has had the following recruiting class rankings....1, 8, 6, 4. I saw a stat earlier in the season, that A&M has 54 combined 5 and 4* players on their roster. That's 2/3 of your roster. So my question is, why are so many freshman playing to begin with? Again, I understand injuries. But unless every Soph, Jr, and Sr on the team is injured, then there should still be another 4 or 5* option that isn't a freshman, unless they're simply not being developed, which is a whole other issue.ย 

ย 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

The state of aggy football can be summed up in two words, one word for Bidenย  ... dumpster fire ๐Ÿ”ฅย  ....

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I think this is a bit misleading though, and also raises other questions.ย 

For starters, this is counting total snaps, not starts. I only point that out, because when you sign the #1 class of all time, then of course you're going to see a lot of true freshman getting snaps throughout the season. That doesn't mean it was all due to injury (that's not to say A&M hasn't had their share of injuries. I'm well aware of that, and will get to that in a moment). Case and point, there were at least a half dozen players from A&M's '22 class that starting playing in week 1. That wasn't because of injury, it was because of how good those players were....Evan Stewart, Chris Marhsall, Walter Nolan, Shemar Stewart, Denver Harris, Brycy Anderson, and there may have been more.

The second team on this list, Ole Miss, had the #27 recruiting class. 0 5*'s, and 6 4*'s. A&M had 8 5 *'s alone. Naturally they're going to see more A&M freshman playing than Ole Miss.ย 

ย 

This also leads me to the injuries A&M has suffered this year.ย 

In the last 4 years, A&M has had the following recruiting class rankings....1, 8, 6, 4. I saw a stat earlier in the season, that A&M has 54 combined 5 and 4* players on their roster. That's 2/3 of your roster. So my question is, why are so many freshman playing to begin with? Again, I understand injuries. But unless every Soph, Jr, and Sr on the team is injured, then there should still be another 4 or 5* option that isn't a freshman, unless they're simply not being developed, which is a whole other issue.ย 

ย 

Before the Bye Week, 19 guys were hurt. Since then, that number has only gone up with the likes of Max Wright missing this game due to injury and several guys missing the Florida game with the Flu. Not all players stepping in are True Fresheman. Some are redshirt and whatnot, but none have much game experience at all.ย 

Also, you listed that #4 class A&M signed in 2019. DeMarvin Leal went pro. Kenyon Green went pro. Isiah Spiller went pro. Demani Richardson went pro. Jalen Wydermyer went pro. Ainias Smith is hurt this year. Layden Robinson got hurt this year and has missed significant time.ย  Baylor Cupp got injured every year he was here so he sadly never got off the ground.ย 

Several guys going pro after 3 years here is a good thing, but it also hurts when the guys following them up get injured.ย 

Zach Calzada and several other guys DID transfer. Which, again, signing better players after them, that's going to happen and be a problem we have moving forward. It just hurts that they all transferred away and then the guys recruited after them got hurt, you know?ย 

So yeah, singing big classes comes with some drawbacks- players transfer and others go pro after 3 years. That is a big issue we have right now when you consider that the guys replacing them have gotten hurt, missed with the flu, and suspensions (which are an internal issue, admittedly).ย 

Will Jimbo turn it around? We'll have to see. But I'm not hitting the panic button just yet. That's all I'm saying. I do and have acknowledged some big question marks for the team- namely Strength & Conditioning and the new OL coach.ย 

Edited by JohnnyFootball

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Before the Bye Week, 19 guys were hurt. Since then, that number has only gone up with the likes of Max Wright missing this game due to injury and several guys missing the Florida game with the Flu. Not all players stepping in are True Fresheman. Some are redshirt and whatnot, but none have much game experience at all.ย 

Also, you listed that #4 class A&M signed in 2019. DeMarvin Leal went pro. Kenyon Green went pro. Isiah Spiller went pro. Demani Richardson went pro. Jalen Wydermyer went pro. Ainias Smith is hurt this year. Layden Robinson got hurt this year and has missed significant time.ย  Baylor Cupp got injured every year he was here so he sadly never got off the ground.ย 

Several guys going pro after 3 years here is a good thing, but it also hurts when the guys following them up get injured.ย 

Zach Calzada and several other guys DID transfer. Which, again, signing better players after them, that's going to happen and be a problem we have moving forward. It just hurts that they all transferred away and then the guys recruited after them got hurt, you know?ย 

So yeah, singing big classes comes with some drawbacks- players transfer and others go pro after 3 years. That is a big issue we have right now when you consider that the guys replacing them have gotten hurt, missed with the flu, and suspensions (which are an internal issue, admittedly).ย 

Will Jimbo turn it around? We'll have to see. But I'm not hitting the panic button just yet. That's all I'm saying.ย 

Thatโ€™s fair. I knew a lot of guys from the โ€˜19 class went pro, and there were a lot out for the Florida game with the flu, I just thought there wouldโ€™ve been more players available than there have been from the โ€˜20 and โ€˜21 classes.ย 

2 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Thatโ€™s fair. I knew a lot of guys from the โ€˜19 class went pro, and there were a lot out for the Florida game with the flu, I just thought there wouldโ€™ve been more players available than there have been from the โ€˜20 and โ€˜21 classes.ย 

I'd have to look at those classes and could tell you probably what happened to the bigger named players. It's a combination of a few things- some hurt, some transferred out (again, this is the other edge of that sword when you sign a big class every year... THIS is a big problem that I do see with how Jimbo has recruited- he has guys transfer out but rarely uses the transfer portal to bring guys in), and some just aren't as good as the huge class we just signed (some of who have missed time as well like Walter Nolen and Denver Harris).

I appreciate your far more nuanced look at the state of the team and ability to actually have good football discussion.ย ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I'd have to look at those classes and could tell you probably what happened to the bigger named players. It's a combination of a few things- some hurt, some transferred out (again, this is the other edge of that sword when you sign a big class every year... THIS is a big problem that I do see with how Jimbo has recruited- he has guys transfer out but rarely uses the transfer portal to bring guys in), and some just aren't as good as the huge class we just signed (some of who have missed time as well like Walter Nolen and Denver Harris).

I appreciate your far more nuanced look at the state of the team and ability to actually have good football discussion.ย ย 

How many players has A&M had transfer out the last couple of seasons?ย 

54 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

How many players has A&M had transfer out the last couple of seasons?ย 

Quite a few. Especially several of the 4*s. Again, THAT is a big issue Jimbo faces. Too many players transfer out and not enough transfer in. Jimbo doesnโ€™t use the transfer portal nearly as good as others. Thatโ€™s an area he needs to adjust to.ย 

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Quite a few. Especially several of the 4*s. Again, THAT is a big issue Jimbo faces. Too many players transfer out and not enough transfer in. Jimbo doesnโ€™t use the transfer portal nearly as good as others. Thatโ€™s an area he needs to adjust to.ย 

Didn't he say something like players who hit the portal already know where they're going so why waste the time? (Paraphrasing of course).

Jimbo needs to hit portal. Just like every coach should if they need players. Blowing off the portal is going to put you behind the 8 ball.ย 

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Iโ€™m glad A&M got Jimbo and not LSU. ย 
ย 

Iโ€™ll leave this quote from me here for its face value

LSU is even glader ....

All college's should add a "lemon law" ๐Ÿ‹ย  clause in their contracts with head coaches that allows them to dump coaches like Jumbo without paying out huge settlements. .... it should be known as the "Jumbo Fisher Clause"ย  ......

31 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

LSU is even glader ....

All college's should add a "lemon law" ๐Ÿ‹ย  clause in their contracts with head coaches that allows them to dump coaches like Jumbo without paying out huge settlements. .... it should be known as the "Jumbo Fisher Clause"ย  ......

I would have happily paid Jimbo the last year of Ed O's coaching tenure at LSU.ย  Jimbo was one of the top reasons Saban had the ability to lock down Louisiana to turn LSU into a power.ย  Same at Florida St... What I didn't see is how outdated his coaching philosophy was when it came to directing a football program at a top level.ย  His FSU championship came on the legs of 2 guys... impressive, but basic.ย  So IDK, I feel like Jimbo maybe exhausts himself recruiting and hopes the talent coaches itself now?ย  That's what it feels like when I watch an A&M game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Didn't he say something like players who hit the portal already know where they're going so why waste the time? (Paraphrasing of course).

Jimbo needs to hit portal. Just like every coach should if they need players. Blowing off the portal is going to put you behind the 8 ball.ย 

Agree with this 100%.ย 

He dislikes that coaches seemingly bypass the purpose of the portal and commit "tampering". But if everyone else is doing it....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He dislikes that coaches seemingly bypass the purpose of the portal and commit "tampering". But if everyone else is doing it....

I have a similar criticism of my guy... imho he's playing it far too holier than thou for me.

We're in the Wild West now, you're either the quick or the dead.

13 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I have a similar criticism of my guy... imho he's playing it far too holier than thou for me.

We're in the Wild West now, you're either the quick or the dead.

Yeah? I admittedly hadn't paid much attention to OU outside of the big splash of the 2 QBs transferring. I do know that you've mentioned a few times that your squad was decimated by the transfer portal. Gotta learn to play the game, I guess.ย 

• Like 1

Youโ€™re seeing a lot more coaches having a recruiting coordinator thatโ€™s more like a GM in pro football. Recruits/draft, transfer portal/free agents. Youโ€™ve got to be able to look at the big picture of what your program needs. Knowing who is in the portal and can fill a gap that recruiting didnโ€™t fill. As far as tampering, most of these kids go in knowing where they are going. A SEC school picked up a LB from another SEC school and a RB from Georgia Tech. If they can do it, learn from them and use it to your advantage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yeah? I admittedly hadn't paid much attention to OU outside of the big splash of the 2 QBs transferring. I do know that you've mentioned a few times that your squad was decimated by the transfer portal. Gotta learn to play the game, I guess.ย 

USC football is basically OUโ€™s stars

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Agree with this 100%.ย 

Right? It's all about playing the game. If you don't play and catch up, you'll get left behind.

33 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Right? It's all about playing the game. If you don't play and catch up, you'll get left behind.

It's basically what everyone has been saying about Jimbo.ย  He is a good ole boy, old school.ย  He does his best to work with integrity but keep his stars safe so he can win.ย  He has a lot of Bobby Bowden in him.ย  I like him as a person.ย  I just don't think he adapts as quickly as a lot of the top coaches.ย ย 

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

It's basically what everyone has been saying about Jimbo.ย  He is a good ole boy, old school.ย  He does his best to work with integrity but keep his stars safe so he can win.ย  He has a lot of Bobby Bowden in him.ย  I like him as a person.ย  I just don't think he adapts as quickly as a lot of the top coaches.ย ย 

The worst thing to be as a coach is a slow adapter. Thereโ€™s two kinds of coaches, thems thatโ€™s fired and thems thatโ€™s fixing to be fired. A&M hit the ground running with NIL but has drug their feet in the portal. Thatโ€™s why we need someone in place in the recruiting department whoโ€™s job is strictly monitoring the portal. Set the parameters of what you are looking for and do like everyone else is finding the loophole and lock those kids in pre and post portal. You canโ€™t tell me the kids leaving A&M (and kids are going to leave) havenโ€™t had contact or at least have an idea of where they are headed? Cโ€™mon.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The worst thing to be as a coach is a slow adapter. Thereโ€™s two kinds of coaches, thems thatโ€™s fired and thems thatโ€™s fixing to be fired. A&M hit the ground running with NIL but has drug their feet in the portal. Thatโ€™s why we need someone in place in the recruiting department whoโ€™s job is strictly monitoring the portal. Set the parameters of what you are looking for and do like everyone else is finding the loophole and lock those kids in pre and post portal. You canโ€™t tell me the kids leaving A&M (and kids are going to leave) havenโ€™t had contact or at least have an idea of where they are headed? Cโ€™mon.

Coaches use their current players to talk to these kids through social media. ย The groundwork is done before they even declare for the portal

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic