👍🏻2022 Texas A&M Aggies Thread👍🏻

Stoney

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

Coaches use their current players to talk to these kids through social media.  The groundwork is done before they even declare for the portal

I know y'all don't wanna keep hearing my sob story, but certain people on campus knew our former QB was gone within hours of our former coach's announcement. Even though the announcement came weeks and weeks later. 

Anyone who thinks these kids aren't backchanneling information, coaches/boosters aren't wheeling-dealing, and tampering isn't rampant...  well, I've got oceanfront property in Gregg County to sell ya. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

I know y'all don't wanna keep hearing my sob story, but certain people on campus knew our former QB was gone within hours of our former coach's announcement. Even though the announcement came weeks and weeks later. 

Anyone who thinks these kids aren't backchanneling information, coaches/boosters aren't wheeling-dealing, and tampering isn't rampant...  well, I've got oceanfront property in Gregg County to sell ya. 

It's not even discrete either. So if you don't believe it, you're very naïve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Really sad, but that's college football nowadays. I hate it for Venables who was dealt a bad hand- he seems like a good dude and I like his style of play. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Question, with A&M now officially not qualified for a bowl game, are there any players that are likely to sit out the rest of the year to prep for the draft?

Has anyone been good enough to “sit out for the draft”

• Wow 1

Tarp-

When Texas A&M hired Jimbo Fisher in December 2017, there was a structure in place from the top down…the board of regents who brought on president Michael Young and Young who brought on Scott Woodward as athletic director. In turn, Woodward brought in Fisher with the help of the remainder of the A&M hierarchy.

Woodward left in April 2019 and Young retired in December 2020 (although it was known well in advance of that date that Young would be gone). Much like when R. Bowen Loftin retired as A&M president years before that, the hierarchy was fractured and left a power vacuum. On the academic side, certain people filled it. On the athletic side, Fisher became the most powerful person and his stroke only increased after A&M went 9-1 in 2020.

However, Fisher was an old school coach in a world which began changing in 2018 with the increased adaptation of spread concepts (particularly in the passing game), especially by Alabama. Other schools in the SEC wanted people who could emulate what the Tide were doing which resulted in the arrival of people like Joe Brady at LSU in 2019. In turn, this led to Mike Leach at Mississippi State, Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss, and Kendal Briles at Arkansas. Tennessee followed suit with Josh Heupel in 2021. 

In addition, the NCAA transfer portal provided more experienced and thus greater amounts of instant help whereas in the past teams would have to rebuild via freshmen or junior college transfers. However, due to player turnover, schemes had to be simpler and easier to teach.

The portal and the spread combined to provide greater chances of success to schools with less resources. In addition, the portal could taketh away (witness LSU having just 38 scholarship players for its bowl game in 2021) but it could also provide (Tennessee was sanctioned by the NCAA for violations in 2020 and just two years later has a team in the top five).

Thus, the college football world changed drastically between the time Fisher was hired in 2018 and the present. This leads me to the following point: 

A&M fans and donors as well as neutral observers focused on Fisher’s offense which seemingly hasn’t evolved because that’s what he was known for and it’s been the most visible aspect of the program.

However, Fisher’s approach to the game has remained the same during this time of radical change and that’s probably been even more important. 

Fisher has continued to do things the same way, building through high school signees and attempting to instill a culture and systems over a matter of years. 

Physicality is important which means that size is important. Thus, while spacing has become a factor on offense, A&M remains a big team on defense. It signed eight defensive linemen in its most recent recruiting class. 

A&M played three players against Ole Miss over 300 pounds on the defensive line and gave up nearly 400 yards rushing because motion, misdirection, and spacing provided lanes for Ole Miss’ runners to get vertical anyway. 

At one point in that game, 300 pound Shemar Turner was aligned as a stand up edge rusher.

Size doesn’t matter as much on the goal line when you can send someone in motion and rub a defender off of a route to free them up near the line of scrimmage and in space.

With scholarship limits, something has to give and that has been at backer where the Aggies don’t have enough players period or enough players who can play in space. They need more coverage people on the back end. 

With all of the attention paid to Fisher as OC, his role as CEO is even more important. Like a lot of coaches, he’s hired people he knows but as he has become more successful at A&M he’s trended in that direction even more. 

Finally…people discuss Ole Miss boss Lane Kiffin in terms of his personality, his recruiting, and his offensive concepts but the past two seasons he has a better program than Fisher. He lacks the resources and talent available to Fisher and so he’s had to get innovative and not just with his schemes. 

In fact, while A&M has been chasing Alabama and Georgia, they’ve lost to Ole Miss and Mississippi State and Appalachian State. They’ve thrown unlimited resources at the problem but they’ve done so in a different manner than the rest of college football. 

A&M football as it currently stands is a reflection of its head coach as a CEO as opposed to the offensive coordinator.

36 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Anyone know if this is true?

Now I’m reading this is false, and someone even stated his mom posted it was fake. Sorry now that I even posted the question.

971461DB-5315-4B5E-A57B-79880D75BBDF.png

I’ve seen Moose Muhammad, Denver Harris, Smoke Bouie, Shemar Stewart, Evan Stewart. There’s been a lot names thrown out.

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

A&M better be thankful UMass can barely complete a forward pass against air… 

20-3? It is what it is. Our bright spot for the season will be some of these coaches getting canned. Sooner this season ends the better.

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

20-3? It is what it is. Our bright spot for the season will be some of these coaches getting canned. Sooner this season ends the better.

After watching that game it’s glaring that the talent A&M does have (a lot of them out today) overshadows how poor coaching is across the board imo.

Also, with that many injuries, you have to reevaluate your S&C program, right? 

10 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

After watching that game it’s glaring that the talent A&M does have (a lot of them out today) overshadows how poor coaching is across the board imo.

This staff has mailed it in. They certainly aren’t trying to get better this year. I think you’re seeing a staff that knows wholesale changes are coming. At worst the entire offensive staff is gone and possibly Durkin and Santucci as well. And that’s not even counting something wild like Fisher wanting to leave on his own to take the WVU job. 

I think the talent is there for a very quick turnaround with the right coaches I think. Hopefully a splash OC hire and Jimbo getting his hands off the defense leads to changes. 

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This staff has mailed it in. They certainly aren’t trying to get better this year. I think you’re seeing a staff that knows wholesale changes are coming. At worst the entire offensive staff is gone and possibly Durkin and Santucci as well. And that’s not even counting something wild like Fisher wanting to leave on his own to take the WVU job. 

I think the talent is there for a very quick turnaround with the right coaches I think. Hopefully a splash OC hire and Jimbo getting his hands off the defense leads to changes. 

No doubt talent is there. A&M would be better off cleaning out the coaching staff right after LSU. 

29 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Fisher became the most powerful person and his stroke only increased after A&M went 9-1 in 2020.

4 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

This has to be a multilevel fix. Coaching staff. Recruiting staff. S&C staff.

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P locked this topic