๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป2022 Texas A&M Aggies Thread๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Stoney

Jeff Tarpley-

โ€ขThe search for an offensive coordinator is ongoing. A&M will press people for a decision so that someone is named as soon as possible after this weekendโ€™s championship games.

โ€ขIn terms of A&Mโ€™s roster, those players who have entered the NCAA transfer portal so far havenโ€™t seen much action this season. Thereโ€™s really been no one from the two deep. This is unlikely to change for the most part except among a few faces.

For example, wideout Chris Marshall is not expected to be back. Neither is offensive lineman PJ Williams. Both were among the four freshmen (cornerback Denver Harris and end Anthony Lucas were the other two) indefinitely suspended from the program after the South Carolina game and both have had issues since that suspension (Williams was picked up for possession on 11/20).ย 

Harris is considered to be more of a 50/50 proposition (he was driving the car that Williams was in but the substance was in Williams' pack).ย 

ย 

On 11/27/2022 at 8:17 PM, Lobo97 said:

I donโ€™t have a problem with fans storming the field after a big upset. I also think a 4 win team beating the #10 team in the country is absolutely worth celebrating.ย 
What I think is stupid, is the NCAA fining teams for it.ย 

Obviously they're gonna do what they want, but to me it's embarrassing to storm the field on this occasion.ย  If it wasย Appalachian State storming the field after beating LSU, even with a losing season, that's understandable, but the Aggies.... straight up embarrassing.ย  IMO it speaks to low expectations.ย  Fans with high expectations don't storm the field when their team is sub .500 unless they have little expectation of winning a game.

And even more embarrassing is our fans inability to get over the perpetual downward Hook 'em that I still see in games like this more than a decade removed from the last game with them.ย  It's like the Horns are forever in the minds of our fans.ย  I can guarantee the Horns aren't thinking about the Aggies when they play a game.

Edited by Everide2016

49 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Obviously they're gonna do what they want, but to me it's embarrassing to storm the field on this occasion.ย  If it wasย Appalachian State storming the field after beating LSU, even with a losing season, that's understandable, but the Aggies.... straight up embarrassing.ย  IMO it speaks to low expectations.ย  Fans with high expectations don't storm the field when their team is sub .500 unless they have little expectation of winning a game.

And even more embarrassing is our fans inability to get over the perpetual downward Hook 'em that I still see in games like this more than a decade removed from the last game with them.ย  It's like the Horns are forever in the minds of our fans.ย  I can guarantee the Horns aren't thinking about the Aggies when they play a game.

My initial thought was similar to yours regarding the field storming, but after seeing the players reactions I think Iโ€™m okay with it. They loved it. I also think thatโ€™s part of the field storming. The players were out in ticket pull mingling with the students and even giving out donuts and stuff. I think the field storming is just as much about the students celebrating their classmates (the players) as it is anything else.ย 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, WETSU said:

My initial thought was similar to yours regarding the field storming, but after seeing the players reactions I think Iโ€™m okay with it. They loved it. I also think thatโ€™s part of the field storming. The players were out in ticket pull mingling with the students and even giving out donuts and stuff. I think the field storming is just as much about the students celebrating their classmates (the players) as it is anything else.ย 

Right? Heaven forbid students have fun after the season went off the rails due to injuries. Everide thinks expectations aren't there or something lmao

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

It was a big upset win over a highly-ranked rival, at the end of a miserable season. It was, in effect, A&M's bowl game.ย 

Let the kids enjoy something.ย 

It sucks that thatโ€™s what our โ€˜22 season boiled down to, celebrating knocking off #5 LSU at home. In a topsy turvy season it felt good to end it on a high note at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Right? Sitting at 4-7, winning that game is better than losing it....ย 

Oh heck yeah. Not a thing wrong with ending the season with a little hope. Showed some recruits we could beat a top SEC school. Showed some kids that maybe a few changes could have us back towards the top.ย 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Right? Heaven forbid students have fun after the season went off the rails due to injuries. Everide thinks expectations aren't there or something lmao

@Everide2016ย understands expectations and students having fun after a nice win is great, but storming the field?ย  For me, that's something programs and their fans do on special occasions, I just don't see this as one of those occasions.ย  It's about building a culture into the program where fans appreciate a win like this, but at 4-7 they don't act like we just won the conference.ย  What Top Tier programs storm the field after a game like this?ย  If the Aggies ever intend to be Top Tier, it might be a good to start acting like it, even on something like this.

I'm fine disagreeing, butย @JohnnyFootballย has different expectations than myself of a program that spends like the Aggies and gets minimum ROI.ย  Top Tier everywhere money can buy, unfortunately it's not where it counts most.

Edited by Everide2016

2 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

@Everide2016ย understands expectations and students having fun after a nice win is great, but storming the field?ย  For me, that's something programs and their fans do on special occasions, I just don't see this as one of those occasions.ย  It's about building a culture into the program where fans appreciate a win like this, but at 4-7 they don't act like we just won the conference.ย  What Top Tier programs storm the field after a game like this?ย  If the Aggies ever intend to be Top Tier, it might be a good to start acting like it, even on something like this.

I'm fine disagreeing, butย @JohnnyFootballย has different expectations than myself of a program that spends like the Aggies and gets minimum ROI.ย  Top Tier everywhere money can buy, unfortunately it's not where it counts most.

Fans do not dictate wins. Players do. There isnโ€™t anything one of those kids that stormed the field does to influence wins or losses one way or another. They could be like many other fanbases and have the stadium at 60% during their losing seasons. But they were there and excited and the players feed off it and appreciate it. Thereโ€™s never been a game won or loss because of fan expectations. The right coach and players ignore everything about the outside world and win or lose all on their own.ย 

2 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

The students, the players, us fansโ€ฆ.weโ€™ve been looking forward to any type of excitement out of this season. We finally got it Saturday. We can be both disappointed that we didnโ€™t capitalize on the preseason hype and enjoy beating a rival ranked #5 after weโ€™ve come off a 6 game losing streak. Now if 4-8,5-7 becomes a trend Iโ€™ll have a huge problem then. Everything that could go wrong went wrong this season. I just have to hope that Jimbo can fix his team. Going into my 4th decade* of Aggie fandom hope is all Iโ€™ve known.

*Stoney forgot that we are in the 2020s.ย 

4 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I'm guessing Durkin is staying?ย 

What about the OL coach?

Addazio is rumored to โ€œmedically retire.โ€ Health issues were bad enough after his hiring that son had to step in and take over his role.ย 

Havenโ€™t seen anything about Durkin or changes to the defense. Santucci got the co-DC tag last year.ย 
ย 

• Thanks 1

Rumors on Gigโ€™Em are:

James Coley & Miami could have mutual interestย 

The entire offensive staff could be gone, James Coley and Tommy Robinson would be the potential holdovers

Jimbo is wanting to get his OC sooner rather than later

ย 

44 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The students, the players, us fansโ€ฆ.weโ€™ve been looking forward to any type of excitement out of this season. We finally got it Saturday. We can be both disappointed that we didnโ€™t capitalize on the preseason hype and enjoy beating a rival ranked #5 after weโ€™ve come off a 6 game losing streak. Now if 4-8,5-7 becomes a trend Iโ€™ll have a huge problem then. Everything that could go wrong went wrong this season. I just have to hope that Jimbo can fix his team. Going into my 4th decade* of Aggie fandom hope is all Iโ€™ve known.

*Stoney forgot that we are in the 2020s.ย 

Well said.

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Rumors on Gigโ€™Em are:

James Coley & Miami could have mutual interestย 

The entire offensive staff could be gone, James Coley and Tommy Robinson would be the potential holdovers

Jimbo is wanting to get his OC sooner rather than later

ย 

Yes. And let him have some deciding factors on who his assistants will be.

4 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Yes. And let him have some deciding factors on who his assistants will be.

I think thatโ€™s the best decision to make this thing actually work. I think Jimboโ€™s loyal but that loyalty might let things run a little longer than they should.ย 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:27 PM, Stoney said:

Jeff Tarpley-

โ€ขThe search for an offensive coordinator is ongoing. A&M will press people for a decision so that someone is named as soon as possible after this weekendโ€™s championship games.

โ€ขIn terms of A&Mโ€™s roster, those players who have entered the NCAA transfer portal so far havenโ€™t seen much action this season. Thereโ€™s really been no one from the two deep. This is unlikely to change for the most part except among a few faces.

For example, wideout Chris Marshall is not expected to be back. Neither is offensive lineman PJ Williams. Both were among the four freshmen (cornerback Denver Harris and end Anthony Lucas were the other two) indefinitely suspended from the program after the South Carolina game and both have had issues since that suspension (Williams was picked up for possession on 11/20).ย 

Harris is considered to be more of a 50/50 proposition (he was driving the car that Williams was in but the substance was in Williams' pack).ย 

ย 

Weird. I had it on good authority that half of A&M's 2022 signing class was as good as gone.ย 

ย 

22 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I'm guessing Durkin is staying?ย 

What about the OL coach?

Durkin should stay. He's soft against the run, but amazing against the pass. Of the games A&M lost...

App St- Defense allowed 17, offense lost us this one

Miss St- Special teams gave up a TD and this one got out of hand late. You could say Durkin didn't do well in this one.

Bama- Held them to 24. Offense got us 20... again, offense couldn't get the job done

Ole Miss- Gave up 31. Not BAD considering how strong OM offense is, but you could say Durkin could've done better here.ย 

South Carolina- Gave up 30, special teams gave up a TD, offense gave them a short field afterward.... Durkin didn't do bad this game

Auburn- Lost 13-10... Not on Durkin in the slightest

Florida- Lost bad here... Durkin's worst game.ย 

Believe it or not, A&M ranked #1 in the nation in passing yards allowed. And was #26 in scoring defense. Is it Elko numbers? No. Elko was a beast. We surely miss him. But this wasn't on Durkin. There are definitely some areas he needs to improve. The 4 down linemen worked brilliantly against LSU. People clamored for it all year.ย 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:Believe it or not, A&M ranked #1 in the nation in passing yards allowed. And was #26 in scoring defense. Is it Elko numbers? No. Elko was a beast. We surely miss him. But this wasn't on Durkin. There are definitely some areas he needs to improve. The 4 down linemen worked brilliantly against LSU. People clamored for it all year.ย 

First year installing his defense. The injuries on the defensive side of the ball at all 3 levels: DL, LB, Secondary. Going with the 3 man line over 4 man line. With those issues and we still put up those numbers on the defensive side, thatโ€™s something you can build on. Itโ€™s way early but the early signs are the kids are still bought in. Give the youngsters a full year in a hopefully better S&C system. Another year in Durkinโ€™s system. Maybe weโ€™ll see that improvement.

50 minutes ago, Stoney said:

First year installing his defense. The injuries on the defensive side of the ball at all 3 levels: DL, LB, Secondary. Going with the 3 man line over 4 man line. With those issues and we still put up those numbers on the defensive side, thatโ€™s something you can build on. Itโ€™s way early but the early signs are the kids are still bought in. Give the youngsters a full year in a hopefully better S&C system. Another year in Durkinโ€™s system. Maybe weโ€™ll see that improvement.

We'll see. Durkin was weak against the run at Ole Miss too. That may just be what you get with him.ย 

As I said, big step down from Elko, sadly.ย 

• Mr. P locked this topic