👍🏻2022 Texas A&M Aggies Thread👍🏻

Stoney

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

We'll see. Durkin was weak against the run at Ole Miss too. That may just be what you get with him. 

As I said, big step down from Elko, sadly. 

I think the problem with Durkin is Jimbo. He has been hyper aggressive and had lots of blitzes and pass rush everywhere he has been. I’m okay with being weaker on the run but when you do get them in those 3rd and 4s or longer you have to be able to get to the QB. A&M didn’t do that this year. But it was some of the same problems A&M had under elko. Lack of speed rush from a weak side DE or edge player. If you’re going to try to respect qb scramble lanes that’s fine, but there isn’t a back 7 in the country good enough to stop 3rd and 5s when you are just bull rushing with no speed moves or blitzes. Since Durkin has never called that type of game before, I have to think it’s because it’s what Jimbo wants. 

Jeff Tarpley on Jimbo and the OC Search

Some things we do know based on talking to people inside and outside of A&M:

Talk may have begun right after the Appalachian State game about the need for an offensive coordinator but that was donor and admin based. 

The leverage for change came very late in the season and was resource based, not contract based. In the most modern era of college football, you’re going to need people’s money for NIL and facilities and NIL is leverage that most coaches aren’t used to dealing with. They’re asking for funds for it but it’s not a one way street. Some of them have already found that out; others are in the process of doing so. 

Fisher is going to have to be very convincing that he won’t be looking over this person’s shoulder or yank the play calling reins back away from them if they should falter. In addition, there’s a perception in the coaching community that given A&M’s resources Fisher could be bought out if necessary (not realistic but it is a factor). 

There are some guys who could be on the verge of making the jump to being a head coach and so a lateral move doesn’t make much sense.

Multiple people have asked me about former Florida head coach Dan Mullen and he’s considered to be difficult to get along with by people outside of A&M. That might not keep A&M from hiring him. He also doesn’t like to recruit and Fisher typically hires people that can recruit.

I’m not sure that it will be someone from the Briles tree. That’s an offense that has changed football due to its unique spacing but in its purest form it’s difficult to move the chains at times.

The top candidate is probably someone coaching in one of the title games this upcoming weekend and he would have to turn it down before A&M goes to someone else

Rumors according to Tarp about the portal.

QB- Haynes King likely gone

RB- Achane going pro, everyone not LJ Johnson staying

WR- Moose is back, Yulkeith Brown too, 50/50 on Ainias

TE- Blake Smith gone

OL- Layden Robinson coming back

LB- Everyone coming back 

CB/S- Antonio Johnson and Jaylon Jones gone

• Wow 1

12 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Had injury problems right?  Thought he looked pretty good when actually on the field.  Or am I thinking of someone else?

I forgot he was suspended freshman year. Got hurt this year. Not sure if it was hurt or “hurt.” After about the App State game he wasn’t back on the field. He had a great spring and was looking like a difference maker.

9 hours ago, Stoney said:

Jeff Tarpley on Jimbo and the OC Search

Fisher is going to have to be very convincing that he won’t be looking over this person’s shoulder or yank the play calling reins back away from them if they should falter.

This is why I don't think it'll matter if an OC/play caller is hired.  I just don't see Jimbo staying out of the way or not meddling in the play calling.  

37 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

This is why I don't think it'll matter if an OC/play caller is hired.  I just don't see Jimbo staying out of the way or not meddling in the play calling.  

Talk may have begun right after the Appalachian State game about the need for an offensive coordinator but that was donor and admin based. 

The leverage for change came very late in the season and was resource based, not contract based. In the most modern era of college football, you’re going to need people’s money for NIL and facilities and NIL is leverage that most coaches aren’t used to dealing with. They’re asking for funds for it but it’s not a one way street. Some of them have already found that out; others are in the process of doing so.

33 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Jimbo having his hands on the offense isn’t just the kiss of death. He may over complicate things or not find a good rhythm with his playcalling, but there are days where he puts it together and it’s clear it can work he’s just not good at adjusting if something isn’t working. 

I think bringing in someone is needed and he knows it. They will call plays and he knows it. They will add a few wrinkles such as more RPOs or tempo and he knows it. But I do not think it needs to be a complete (keep Jimbo away from the play sheet or the season is lost) type situation. Truthfully I think a 75% of the playbook could remain the same just add enough wrinkles with the other 25% that you can move the ball when needed. Quite frankly Jimbos plays just with tempo likely completely change the outlook of this football team. 

12 hours ago, WETSU said:

Jimbo having his hands on the offense isn’t just the kiss of death. He may over complicate things or not find a good rhythm with his playcalling, but there are days where he puts it together and it’s clear it can work he’s just not good at adjusting if something isn’t working. 

I think bringing in someone is needed and he knows it. They will call plays and he knows it. They will add a few wrinkles such as more RPOs or tempo and he knows it. But I do not think it needs to be a complete (keep Jimbo away from the play sheet or the season is lost) type situation. Truthfully I think a 75% of the playbook could remain the same just add enough wrinkles with the other 25% that you can move the ball when needed. Quite frankly Jimbos plays just with tempo likely completely change the outlook of this football team. 

I agree with this. I think Jimbo could use HELP with the playcalling/offense... An entire overhaul is not necessary. Whoever/whatever happened on Saturday night shows that. With a line of true freshmen, a true freshman QB, and a few young receivers, (and with a veteran RB returning), the offense played extremely well. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

I’m not wanting Jimbo to bring in the Air Raid or the triple option but bring in someone who can tweak/modernize some aspects of the scheme. Jimbo can have input on his offense. He just needs someone with a fresh view to come in. Whoever winds up with the job isn’t coming into an offense that’s lacking talent. It’s just young and maybe some simplification can help it maximize its potential.

43 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Haynes King is in the portal.

Sad to see him go. Wanted him to work out here. He will go somewhere with a good system and light it up. 

Also sad to see that our fan base has quite a few toxic assholes in it on how they behaved towards him. Even moreso than Mond. Oh well. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Sad to see him go. Wanted him to work out here. He will go somewhere with a good system and light it up. 

Also sad to see that our fan base has quite a few toxic assholes in it on how they behaved towards him. Even moreso than Mond. Oh well. 

Think he could end up at UTSA with Traylor or TX State with Kinne?

• Mr. P locked this topic