👍🏻2022 Texas A&M Aggies Thread👍🏻

Stoney

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

I don’t think A&M needs a difference maker at QB. Our QB was the 11th ranked SEC QB in QBR. That play at QB got us to 8-4. You give us a QB in that 69+ range in QBR we’re a much better team offensively. Average to above average not superstar play gives us 10 wins.3C810B97-2531-40EE-AFD1-E2031F3909FB.png

Agreed. A&M could get 10 wins out of middle of the pack QB play and has the talent to win the sec with top 5 QB play. 

Card and Texas are in a different position. They are struggling so much on the offensive line and defense that they will next exceptional QB play to get where they want to be. I don’t mean that as an insult it’s just Texas is in a rebuild of the roster and is still likely 2 years and good recruiting away from having the pieces required to have anything less than exceptional QB play. 

Latest intel on the QB battle. 

King is the best in terms of timing and playbook knowledge. 

Weigman is the best pure Qb. He makes throws the other two can’t, and just has the it factor. Would likely be starting if not for playbook knowledge but he’s catching up in that regard. Has had the best scrimmages. 

Max Johnson is adequate at everything but excels at nothing. Holds the ball too long at times. 

• Like 3

Sounds like King will have to really light it up and stay healthy or Weigman will take the job from him at some point. Fisher likely is going experience over ability. But with this being a must win 10+ type season, I expect him to be willing to give Weigman his chance if anything happens to King. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Sounds like King will have to really light it up and stay healthy or Weigman will take the job from him at some point. Fisher likely is going experience over ability. But with this being a must win 10+ type season, I expect him to be willing to give Weigman his chance if anything happens to King. 

If King goes down, it will be some growing pains but Weigman has the talent. I hope we get to see him get some good playing time against Sam Houston and App State.

24 minutes ago, Stoney said:

If King goes down, it will be some growing pains but Weigman has the talent. I hope we get to see him get some good playing time against Sam Houston and App State.

King needs reps, but you absolutely have to build enough of a lead to get Weigman some reps. 

On 8/17/2022 at 2:08 PM, KirtFalcon said:

I don't think either of them are what their respective teams need .... I don't see either of them taking their teams to the "next level" ... just my opinion ....

I think A&M’s win total would have been 2-3 games better with King as QB over Calzada.  They needed him last year.  It shouldn’t change this year

8 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I think A&M’s win total would have been 2-3 games better with King as QB over Calzada.  They needed him last year.  It shouldn’t change this year

I agree. A&M at the very least beats Miss st and Arkansas last year with King. Calzada played decent vs lsu the defense just sold out at the end so I’m still counting that as a loss. Ole miss probably would have been a win. They had less than 50 yards at the half with Calzada playing. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

I agree. A&M at the very least beats Miss st and Arkansas last year with King. Calzada played decent vs lsu the defense just sold out at the end so I’m still counting that as a loss. Ole miss probably would have been a win. They had less than 50 yards at the half with Calzada playing. 

Probably LSU also.  

20 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Y'all really think King is better than Calzada? ....

By a wide margin. King has a much more natural feel for the position. Kings legs alone would have won A&M 2 games they lost last season. 

• Like 2

King is not a high draft pick, but he’s got elite athleticism for the position and as long as he’s careful with the football he will be more than enough for A&M to take a step into playoff contention. The defense is going to be a top 5 unit and the running game should be spectacular. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

King is not a high draft pick, but he’s got elite athleticism for the position and as long as he’s careful with the football he will be more than enough for A&M to take a step into playoff contention. The defense is going to be a top 5 unit and the running game should be spectacular. 

Wasn't King injured last season scrambling? You think he can stay healthy running the ball? Who is his backup? ....

6 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Wasn't King injured last season scrambling? You think he can stay healthy running the ball? Who is his backup? ....

He was injured on a fluke tackle where his foot got trapped and it broke a bone. Not saying he can’t get hurt again but it’s not typical to get hurt like that. He’s a legit 4.4 guy though so his scrambling is a strength. 

The backup depends on the time of year of the injury to be honest. Right now it’s probably max Johnson. From mid season on it’s probably the freshman Weigman. The reports are the kid is outstanding and has legitimate first rd potential once he’s got the playbook down. It’s just so hard for a true freshman to overtake a 3 year veteran of the system by game 1. There’s just so much to process in this offense. 

• Like 1

Evan Stewart is already WR1. He’s surpassed everybody on the team. His route running and abilities are just unmatched by anyone else on the roster. I expect him to have a monster season. Especially with King as he’s been known to push the ball downfield and trust his WRs to make plays. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WETSU said:

He was injured on a fluke tackle where his foot got trapped and it broke a bone. Not saying he can’t get hurt again but it’s not typical to get hurt like that. He’s a legit 4.4 guy though so his scrambling is a strength. 

so are we saying King is JohnnyFootball-2.0

9 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

so are we saying King is JohnnyFootball-2.0

Not even close. Johnny is one of a kind. 

Johnny was not overly fast just had generational balance and body control with good quickness. Johnny on his best day probably ran a high 4.5.King is more straight speed with little wiggle. But he’s much faster than Johnny. A 4.4 guy that probably could touch 4.38 if he spent time training for it. Just a different player and I don’t expect even half of Johnny as a football player. But half of Johnny with this defense could win a lot of games. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Not even close. Johnny is one of a kind. 

Johnny was not overly fast just had generational balance and body control with good quickness. Johnny on his best day probably ran a high 4.5.King is more straight speed with little wiggle. But he’s much faster than Johnny. A 4.4 guy that probably could touch 4.38 if he spent time training for it. Just a different player and I don’t expect even half of Johnny as a football player. But half of Johnny with this defense could win a lot of games. 

I think it’s funny how many people still talk about how great Manziel was, to the point of even calling him ‘one of a kind’.

I argued many times during his days at A&M that his WR’s made him look better than he really was. I argued many times that he would never make it in the NFL. He was able to extend plays with his athleticism, but I never thought he was a very good passer, and his receivers would often times have to make great catches. 

I think King has the speed to match Manziel, but not quite the quickness and shiftiness. I think he’s a better passer, however. I also think Weigman will end up a better QB than both.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I think it’s funny how many people still talk about how great Manziel was, to the point of even calling him ‘one of a kind’.

I argued many times during his days at A&M that his WR’s made him look better than he really was. I argued many times that he would never make it in the NFL. He was able to extend plays with his athleticism, but I never thought he was a very good passer, and his receivers would often times have to make great catches. 

I think King has the speed to match Manziel, but not quite the quickness and shiftiness. I think he’s a better passer, however. I also think Weigman will end up a better QB than both.

Manziel was decent. Sure, his receivers were elite during that time, but he himself was really good. His athleticism extended plays and gained yardage in huge chunks. His biggest thing was that he was deceptive and squirly. He'd turn his back to the line of scrimmage to run away from danger which goes against everything a QB should do, but it always worked out for him. His ability to change direction and accelerate was also big. That's basically what gave Alabama fits both times.

Wasn't hard to see that he wouldn't do anything in the NFL- those guys are so much more athletic and Manziel was running one of those mickey mouse spread offenses. Not a pro-style offense. 

• Like 1

Yea Johnny definitely benefited from having 4 first rounders on the oline and an elite Mike Evans. No doubt about that. But the same can be said for lots of elite college QBs. Without a gimmick system or elite players around you could say the same thing about a lot of college QBs. 

16 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Why?

I don't think we'll know much until after we play Miami and Arkansas. 

Just think this is a good year. Ole miss and lsu are likely as weak as they will be. Replacing QBs and getting their guys in place in Baton Rouge. Arkansas is seemingly getting tougher by the year. Favorable draws from the east while Florida is going through its first year with a new coach. Miss st is a veteran team but beatable.

There just aren’t many teams that I look at and say, “that’s a probably loss” except Bama. Now no that doesn’t mean they win them all, but what makes this year any different than next? You’ve likely got the best QB depth you’re gonna have and a super experienced secondary coupled with elite but young dline talent. If it’s not this year what makes next year any more favorable other than QB experience but even that might be a wash if Weigman is as advertised because he likely beats out King if this was his second year. 

So all that to say, if not this year then when? I think 10-11 wins this season, dethroning Bama in a rebuild next season  for the first west title as they replace virtually everyone and you get them back at home. 

• LOL! 1

4 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Manziel was decent. Sure, his receivers were elite during that time, but he himself was really good. His athleticism extended plays and gained yardage in huge chunks. His biggest thing was that he was deceptive and squirly. He'd turn his back to the line of scrimmage to run away from danger which goes against everything a QB should do, but it always worked out for him. His ability to change direction and accelerate was also big. That's basically what gave Alabama fits both times.

Wasn't hard to see that he wouldn't do anything in the NFL- those guys are so much more athletic and Manziel was running one of those mickey mouse spread offenses. Not a pro-style offense. 

Manziel wasn't a great thrower.  Nor was he a great decision maker... both of those are far more important in the NFL than college.

He was one of my favorite players to watch when he played though.  He was exciting, and completely unpredictable.

• Mr. P locked this topic