👍🏻2022 Texas A&M Aggies Thread👍🏻

Stoney

1 minute ago, Lobo97 said:

What do you think the problems are? 

I think it starts with the staff. In todays game if it’s taking multiple years for your QBs to learn your system then there’s something wrong. Ego or maybe an inability to hand over control when something isn’t working. Loyality is a good thing but can also make you blind to when changes need to be made. A lack of ability to make in game adjustments. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I dont think it is "Couldn't match" its more of "wouldn't match."  For the most part, programs like that have unlimited cash, but its more of how much they are willing to ask for 1 salary.  

It depends on who you ask. FSU had no intention of paying that salary and saw a way out with Fisher. This is what came from FSU websites. FSU couldn't match the salary - this came from A&M websites. The Aggie administration has basically given Jimbo a blank check when it comes to salaries and facilities, and FSU wasn't willing to do that. So maybe FSU didn't "run" him off, but they didn't try very hard to keep him. 

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

I said it earlier, Haynes King is a poor man's Hudson Card .... neither team is going very far with either of them on the field .... A&Ms defense was really exposed .... to think they are going to somehow sail to a 10 win season with mediocre QB play is really wishful thinking  ....

No one really thought King would be worse than Calzada with better talent around him

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

I said it earlier, Haynes King is a poor man's Hudson Card .... neither team is going very far with either of them on the field .... A&Ms defense was really exposed .... to think they are going to somehow sail to a 10 win season with mediocre QB play is really wishful thinking  ....

What makes you think Card is anything better than King? They are similar players at worst. Calling either one a poor man’s other is just not right. 

You also can’t gather ANYTHING from one game of defense. Like I’ve said before, If you watched this defense last season by game 2 nobody would have thought they would finish a top 5 defense. It’s too early to tell for any team what they will do. 

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

What do you think the problems are? 

Scheme. Even when the play calls are “good” the execution has to be so precise that the margin for error is just smaller than what most 19-20 year olds can handle. You’ll see guys running wide open just for a inexperienced QB to see them too late and be off on a throw. You’ll see a Qb have something in mind and then a WR break off a route and the QB have to scramble or find a new guy because he wasn’t expecting it. All of that is hard to do with a young Oline that’s missed half of fall camp and is missing pass rush assignments. 

The problem is scheme and time in it. It’s not something you can just expect players to make plays and that’s a problem for 19 year olds. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

That's kind of the point with Fisher and FSU. Boosters didn't support his wants, he spoke about leaving, and the boosters didn't budge. FSU has since upgraded their football facilities. Not a knock on Jimbo. It's just what happened. TCU pushed Patterson out, and I truly believe he played a huge part in the success of our defense last week.

I mean nobody really knows who said what when Jimbo asked for what he did. Nobody knows the reasons they wouldn’t match other than people in those talks. Everything else is speculation. 

I agree regarding Patterson. Huge get for Texas. How long can they hold onto him before he’s offered another head coaching job?

17 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Something I noticed from King as I watched their offense in the second half was he delivery looks very long. Is that something he’s always done? 

Haynes has a back-and-forth release, while most modern QBs prefer an up-and-out release. While there is a negligible different in actual release time, a back-and-forth release can provide more of a visual cue to defenders. However, it also allows more velocity on the ball. 

It's structurally the same delivery he's used since high school, though his mechanics are far more compact and quicker than at Longview. I expect him to continue to tighten it as he continues to develop. 

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, LOL said:

Haynes has a back-and-forth release, while most modern QBs prefer an up-and-out release. While there is a negligible different in actual release time, a back-and-forth release can provide more of a visual cue to defenders. However, it also allows more velocity on the ball. 

It's structurally the same delivery he's used since high school, though his mechanics are far more compact and quicker than at Longview. I expect him to continue to tighten it as he continues to develop. 

Good stuff. I wish more people had actual football knowledge like this. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean nobody really knows who said what when Jimbo asked for what he did. Nobody knows the reasons they wouldn’t match other than people in those talks. Everything else is speculation. 

I agree regarding Patterson. Huge get for Texas. How long can they hold onto him before he’s offered another head coaching job?

I'm hoping they can keep him for at least another year. But I have no idea what the plan is for him. He's made a HUGE impact so far.

Question for you JF, do you think Jimbo will bring in Weigman? Part of me thinks Max Johnson is 2nd string because of his seniority, but I think Weigman is better talent wise...

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

I'm hoping they can keep him for at least another year. But I have no idea what the plan is for him. He's made a HUGE impact so far.

Question for you JF, do you think Jimbo will bring in Weigman? Part of me thinks Max Johnson is 2nd string because of his seniority, but I think Weigman is better talent wise...

I've given up trying to figure out what Jimbo is thinking. 

Personally, I don't think Haynes is the problem. He's okay at this point. Just okay. A GREAT QB can clean up the messes created by other positions/players. Haynes can't do that at this point. I doubt Johnson or Weigman can either. A&M has a lot bigger concerns than the QB spot. Just my opinion. 

I do sadly think he'll take the fall for the App St loss and we'll change QBs. But it won't make much difference if the other problems are fixed first. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I've given up trying to figure out what Jimbo is thinking. 

Personally, I don't think Haynes is the problem. He's okay at this point. Just okay. A GREAT QB can clean up the messes created by other positions/players. Haynes can't do that at this point. I doubt Johnson or Weigman can either. A&M has a lot bigger concerns than the QB spot. Just my opinion. 

I do sadly think he'll take the fall for the App St loss and we'll change QBs. But it won't make much difference if the other problems are fixed first. 

Here's my take for what it's worth. I think Hayne's is the guy that wins you games you should win. I know that doesn't make sense given the loss this past weekend, but I can't blame him for that loss. He could have played better sure, but when you're 18 point favorites and you don't even score 18 points or you only log 7 points from your offense, it's not the quarterback. It tells me that something with the play calling is drastically off.

Jimbo needs an OC or to somehow evolve his offense. You have so many explosive players. Haynes isn't great, but he's not bad where he single handedly loses games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Here's my take for what it's worth. I think Hayne's is the guy that wins you games you should win. I know that doesn't make sense given the loss this past weekend, but I can't blame him for that loss. He could have played better sure, but when you're 18 point favorites and you don't even score 18 points or you only log 7 points from your offense, it's not the quarterback. It tells me that something with the play calling is drastically off.

Jimbo needs an OC or to somehow evolve his offense. You have so many explosive players. Haynes isn't great, but he's not bad where he single handedly loses games. 

You look around the landscape of college football and see you true freshman QBs come in and make impacts. Then you look at our scheme. If your scheme takes multiple years for a QB to learn and then they must execute it perfectly, almost robotically for it to work there’s an issue there. There’s some ego there when a HC is also the play caller on offense or defense. I can do it better. The product on the field is showing that you can’t. Darrell Dickey was the OC at Memphis under Fuente. It was a fun up tempo offense that made plays down the field and had a good rushing attack. Take the co-OC off, give him the play call job and let’s see what happens.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I agree with this 100%. As Valhalla said, the Jimbo offense is sadly outdated. An updated offense and playcaller and I think this is a different team. Though so far our new OL coach leaves a lot to be desired. If we don't fix that, it doesn't matter what scheme we run out there. 

We shouldn't need to outscheme App State. The fact that we couldn't hand the ball off every down and win is an issue. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I agree with this 100%. As Valhalla said, the Jimbo offense is sadly outdated. An updated offense and playcaller and I think this is a different team. Though so far our new OL coach leaves a lot to be desired. If we don't fix that, it doesn't matter what scheme we run out there. 

We shouldn't need to outscheme App State. The fact that we couldn't hand the ball off every down and win is an issue. 

This is what shocked me. I mean App State is a respectable program and you can't fall asleep on them, but A&M should have ran all over them. Achane is an absolute beast, and them giving up 63 points at home the week before is what makes that game so puzzling.

Not trying to throw salt in your wound. Burnt orange glasses off, as a college football fan I couldn't wrap my head around that offensive productivity, or lack thereof on Saturday. A&M fans have a right to be upset. 

16 minutes ago, Stoney said:

You look around the landscape of college football and see you true freshman QBs come in and make impacts. Then you look at our scheme. If your scheme takes multiple years for a QB to learn and then they must execute it perfectly, almost robotically for it to work there’s an issue there. There’s some ego there when a HC is also the play caller on offense or defense. I can do it better. The product on the field is showing that you can’t. Darrell Dickey was the OC at Memphis under Fuente. It was a fun up tempo offense that made plays down the field and had a good rushing attack. Take the co-OC off, give him the play call job and let’s see what happens.

I think his comment in the presser about "I'll think about giving the offense to someone else if I think that'll help us win" (paraphrasing) is a red flag. He's got to know that it was not solely on his players not executing the offense. They are being dealt a really bland deck of cards to work with. 

• Mr. P locked this topic