Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

6 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

That is 90% of basketball programs' offense... including the NBA.  1 guy penetrate, the rest stand outside and take a kick out pass, shoot or fake the 3, penetrate if you don't shoot, rinse repeat.  Auburn is using a post... that is why they are #1 in the nation this year.  They are doing something that no one else can or will do.

This. It’s why I don’t even watch anymore. The quality of play is pathetic. You’ve got the best athletes we’ve ever had but the lowest basketball IQs we’ve ever had. It’s lazy show off basketball because very few players/teams are willing to work hard anymore. Give me the easiest way possible at warp speed and if it doesn’t work I’ll just try again in 12 seconds because the other team is doing the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Setting up a moving offense doesn’t take years.  It can be taught relatively quickly 

I can teach the Flex in one hour...   to 10-year-olds.

I taught it to my son's church league team and we're 4-1. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

That is 90% of basketball programs' offense... including the NBA.  1 guy penetrate, the rest stand outside and take a kick out pass, shoot or fake the 3, penetrate if you don't shoot, rinse repeat.  Auburn is using a post... that is why they are #1 in the nation this year.  They are doing something that no one else can or will do.

I was telling my wife this same thing last night. It's difficult to watch. There's zero off the ball movement. If the other 4 guys dont have the ball they just stand there. Pass and screen away and jack up a 3 if you got nothing. I could watch this at my local LA Fitness.

Only thing that makes college basketball somewhat watchable is they play some defense. I don't think defense is even a part of the NBA anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I'm going to play the other side of the fence here, regarding Texas basketball.

It's Beard's first season....first. And he's coaching a team filled with mostly transfers. If any of you actually entered this season expecting an undefeated season, B12 Championship, Final 4 appearance, or NC, you need to get your head out of the clouds and come back down to earth. 

I understand the year 1 talk but Beard hand picked these transfers. They were ranked 2 or 3 in the preseason. These guys were supposed to come in and compete for the Big12 and final four. That wasn’t just what Texas pundits were writing, that was coming from national writers as well. 

I understand it takes time to gel with a completely new team but goodness every time they play a good team they’re getting beat by double digits. 

I didn’t know what to expect coming into the year other than what I read but after watching them in game 3 vs Gonzaga and then last night vs Tech, they haven’t improved much at all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I understand the year 1 talk but Beard hand picked these transfers. They were ranked 2 or 3 in the preseason. These guys were supposed to come in and compete for the Big12 and final four. That wasn’t just what Texas pundits were writing, that was coming from national writers as well. 

I understand it takes time to gel with a completely new team but goodness every time they play a good team they’re getting beat by double digits. 

I didn’t know what to expect coming into the year other than what I read but after watching them in game 3 vs Gonzaga and then last night vs Tech, they haven’t improved much at all. 

I’ll respectfully disagree with the last paragraph. If those are the only 2 games you have watched you aren’t doing yourself justice. Gonzaga may very well play for it all again…and Tech is just as good, if not better defensively than what Texas is. 

They may not finish there, but they have the 4th most wins in the best conference in college basketball. They are no slouch. Are they as good as they could be? Absolutely not. But they are getting better. They are a top 5-10 defensive team in the nation. That to me says beard has a plan on how to win. He recognizes this isn’t a great offensive team, but has them bought into playing their tail off on defense.

Also, yes there is lots of dribbling that gets frustrating, but if you look at what they do over the course of the game, they make adjustments. They wound up shooting 19 free throws after having 0, or maybe 2, at halftime. That shows they played more aggressive. Another stat from last night, they took 23 3’s…which when you take into account that they were behind pretty much the whole game, shows that they have some discipline to their offense and they aren’t just jacking it up. They are trying to find good shots and not just settling. Think about how many times you saw a kick out off the penetration and Texas didn’t immediately shoot. That goes to show there was a plan. Last one, when Texas clawed their way back in and cut it to 6 well into the 2nd half, watch the off ball movement on offense. You saw Ramey making cross floor cuts and other guards to mess with the help defense. You saw the bigs setting ball screens and down screens. It wasnt necessarily great, but it was good offense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

I’ll respectfully disagree with the last paragraph. If those are the only 2 games you have watched you aren’t doing yourself justice. Gonzaga may very well play for it all again…and Tech is just as good, if not better defensively than what Texas is. 

They may not finish there, but they have the 4th most wins in the best conference in college basketball. They are no slouch. Are they as good as they could be? Absolutely not. But they are getting better. They are a top 5-10 defensive team in the nation. That to me says beard has a plan on how to win. He recognizes this isn’t a great offensive team, but has them bought into playing their tail off on defense.

Also, yes there is lots of dribbling that gets frustrating, but if you look at what they do over the course of the game, they make adjustments. They wound up shooting 19 free throws after having 0, or maybe 2, at halftime. That shows they played more aggressive. Another stat from last night, they took 23 3’s…which when you take into account that they were behind pretty much the whole game, shows that they have some discipline to their offense and they aren’t just jacking it up. They are trying to find good shots and not just settling. Think about how many times you saw a kick out off the penetration and Texas didn’t immediately shoot. That goes to show there was a plan. Last one, when Texas clawed their way back in and cut it to 6 well into the 2nd half, watch the off ball movement on offense. You saw Ramey making cross floor cuts and other guards to mess with the help defense. You saw the big's setting ball screens and down screens. It wasn't necessarily great, but it was good offense. 

I too like the direction...I was hopeful of a huge season with the good transfer group, but it does take time to gel and change the old crew's play style and just overall mental stance while integrating the new guys. They are hot and cold and no matter what the Tech fans created issues that hopefully Texas fans can return w/ some 'loud and proud" hostility when the Raiders come to Austin.

The key is finishing strong, learning more in each game, and staying healthy...anything could happen when they get to the tourney. I can tell you I have faith they will be much better there and that results will begin to "click in".

47 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

Also, yes there is lots of dribbling that gets frustrating, but if you look at what they do over the course of the game, they make adjustments. They wound up shooting 19 free throws after having 0, or maybe 2, at halftime. That shows they played more aggressive. Another stat from last night, they took 23 3’s…which when you take into account that they were behind pretty much the whole game, shows that they have some discipline to their offense and they aren’t just jacking it up. They are trying to find good shots and not just settling. Think about how many times you saw a kick out off the penetration and Texas didn’t immediately shoot. That goes to show there was a plan. Last one, when Texas clawed their way back in and cut it to 6 well into the 2nd half, watch the off ball movement on offense. You saw Ramey making cross floor cuts and other guards to mess with the help defense. You saw the bigs setting ball screens and down screens. It wasnt necessarily great, but it was good offense. 

See, the problem with that is it was the 3rd time this season they didn't shoot a single free throw in the first half. So it wasn't just a one time thing, it's happened multiple times this season already. I would argue that that's playing desperate, not playing aggressive. They waited a whole half to attack the basket. One Tech player alone had drawn 5 fouls by himself at that point. Texas is not physical. Their big men are very soft on offense. They would kick out of penetration and not immediately shoot off the pass, but would still end up forcing a 3 or a poor shot, instead of trying to match Tech's physicality and energy right from tip. They showed zero fight in that first half, other than Ramey. Giving up offensive rebounds when you have them outnumbered is inexcusable. They turned the ball over several times, which has plagued this team all year I might add.

The defense is stout. Tech got some lucky rolls and had guys who hadn't hit a 3 all season draining multiple shots. You can't do much about that.

I'm not calling for Beard's head or anything. I love the guy. He's not going to change the team right off the bat, but I would like to see a more disciplined, physical team that what we have seen against stiff competition.

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Yes, he picked his transfers. But let's not sit here and act like he was picking lottery picks either. 

I don't get too caught up in what the pundits think either. They are no different than most everyone else now days, where they look solely on paper, and automatically think success will be instantaneous. In reality, that's just not how it works. It takes time.

Let's look at a few teams that are not known as your basketball powers, as an example. 

In 2005, George Mason made it all the way to the Final 4. The year before, they were 16-13. The team that made it to the Final 4, the top 6 players on that team, by mins played, were the same top 6 on the team that went 16-13 the year before. Experience. 

In 2009, Butler made it to their first Finals appearance. They were a 1 and done team the prior season. Same story, however. The top 6 players on the Finals team, by mins played, were the same top 6 from the 1 and done team. Experience. 

In 2010, VCU made it to the Final Four. They were playing in the CBI the year before. Same story again...Top 6 players by mins played, same as the year before. Experience. 

Yes, we've seen teams have success before with first year players. With the 1 and done in college basketball now, it happens often. However, those teams are generally filled with lottery pick players, or the very least, 1st round players. Neither of which are on the current Texas roster. 

So I say again, give him time. 

29 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

See, the problem with that is it was the 3rd time this season they didn't shoot a single free throw in the first half. So it wasn't just a one time thing, it's happened multiple times this season already. I would argue that that's playing desperate, not playing aggressive. They waited a whole half to attack the basket. One Tech player alone had drawn 5 fouls by himself at that point. Texas is not physical. Their big men are very soft on offense. They would kick out of penetration and not immediately shoot off the pass, but would still end up forcing a 3 or a poor shot, instead of trying to match Tech's physicality and energy right from tip. They showed zero fight in that first half, other than Ramey. Giving up offensive rebounds when you have them outnumbered is inexcusable. They turned the ball over several times, which has plagued this team all year I might add.

The defense is stout. Tech got some lucky rolls and had guys who hadn't hit a 3 all season draining multiple shots. You can't do much about that.

I'm not calling for Beard's head or anything. I love the guy. He's not going to change the team right off the bat, but I would like to see a more disciplined, physical team that what we have seen against stiff competition.

100% in agreement that the bigs have been underwhelming and were a huge reason for disappointment last night. Several of them shrank from the moment instead of rising and raising their game. Zero argument from me on that. 

• Thanks 1

Well Beard has a month and a half to gel because more than half this roster is gone after this year and then he’s starting over again. 
Ramey, Jones, Carr, Bishop, Benson, Febres, and Allen are all seniors.  Disu and Mitchell are juniors.

As others have mentioned in here, basketball is getting harder to watch anyway but I was hopeful with Beard being a splash hire and creating so much buzz that I’d at least get to watch a good Texas team this season but I’d rather watch Winnsboros girls. 

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

I was talking about Hand not Herman.

Got it. Wasn't Hand one of those that depending on who you spoke to he was either great or the fan base was glad to see him leave? I seem to remember reading that Penn St and Auburn fans alike were glad to see him go.

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Got it. Wasn't Hand one of those that depending on who you spoke to he was either great or the fan base was glad to see him leave? I seem to remember reading that Penn St and Auburn fans alike were glad to see him go.

I think there is some of that whenever most coaches leave. 

I was/am still a fan of Herb.

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I think there is some of that whenever most coaches leave. 

I was/am still a fan of Herb.

The cynic in me asks why? Did he screw up the Texas OL to your liking? 🙃 Or is it genuine after three fan bases were glad to see him go?

7 hours ago, Baron said:

The cynic in me asks why? Did he screw up the Texas OL to your liking? 🙃 Or is it genuine after three fan bases were glad to see him go?

The Texas O-line was messed up long before Herb, and he actually improved it. 

Flood would be having the same problems if Texas wasn’t allowed to just pay OL to come now.

On 2/3/2022 at 6:41 AM, Valhalla said:

The Texas O-line was messed up long before Herb, and he actually improved it. 

Flood would be having the same problems if Texas wasn’t allowed to just pay OL to come now.

Vahe seemed to regress his last year under Hand and Urquidez, Imade and Okafor never developed. This year's debacle was an indictment of Hand's coaching. IMO

If (and yes it’s a big if) Texas gets better/consistent OL play they have a chance to be above average to really good on offense next year. The pieces that have the “right” potential for Sarks offensive style are in place. It might still be a year away, but we should be able to see improvement for sure. 

18 hours ago, villagegenius said:

If (and yes it’s a big if) Texas gets better/consistent OL play they have a chance to be above average to really good on offense next year. The pieces that have the “right” potential for Sarks offensive style are in place. It might still be a year away, but we should be able to see improvement for sure. 

This recruiting/portal class is going to make its mark early. I'm thinking Banks, Williams and Campbell will see a lot of reps this next season. Finkley, Bledsoe and Turner-Gooden on defense.

Ewers, Neyor and Billingsley are a given.

18 minutes ago, Baron said:

This recruiting/portal class is going to make its mark early. I'm thinking Banks, Williams and Campbell will see a lot of reps this next season. Finkley, Bledsoe and Turner-Gooden on defense.

Ewers, Neyor and Billingsley are a given.

I think 2 OL see significant time in Campbell and Banks. Agbo and Williams need some conditioning, while Robertson and Hutson need a RS. 

I’m excited about the QBs but it seems inevitable that we’ll rely on freshmen OL at some point and capacity. That is worrisome considering they aren’t early enrollees as well. 
If the QBs are given time then I feel good about the skill guys that have to distribute the ball to. 

• Mr. P locked this topic