Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Texas is in talks to hire David Cutcliffe to the staff, in an off the field role. After already bringing in Patterson, this would be a huge hire for the program.

The Manning’s approve.

8 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Good opening day win for the Horns. Exactly what I expected from this team that returned so many from last season. Hansen looked really good. 

Took game two 15-1.  Stevens isn't going to over power anybody or light up the radar gun, but man he's tough to hit.  Duplantier looked good after missing all last year.  Rice looks bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

Took game two 15-1.  Stevens isn't going to over power anybody or light up the radar gun, but man he's tough to hit.  Duplantier looked good after missing all last year.  Rice looks bad.

Rice does look bad. The umpire helped them with a weird strike zone today, it seemed to widen at the top and bottom.

16 hours ago, Red90fly said:

I had to miss yesterdays game. Oldest daughter played in her first high school tournament. Watched a little between games.

Good to hear on Duplantier. Been waiting to watch him pitch again. It was nice to see Faltine have a better day at the plate. Campbell struggling out of the gate wasn’t something I thought would happen. 

Definitely going to sit down to watch watch Witt today. I wanna see if he’s going to try a more calm lower energy starting pitcher or his fiery, late inning reliever type of play from last year. 

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

What has happened to Rice?

Graham retired a couple of years ago. He was connected to Houston area baseball and had a good history with developing a pitching staff. Interesting enough, he was a former UT player and in retirement has relocated to Austin and is all in on Longhorn baseball.

• Like 1

Absolutely great weekend of baseball. Texas is going to destroy mediocre pitching, so I’m interested to see them vs Alabama and in the Shriners classic coming up against some better pitchers. The Texas pitching looks outstanding, starters and bullpen. If the starters can go 6 innings consistently, Texas can throw a different bullpen guy for an inning to finish games all weekend long. 

Pierce has so many options out of the pen and this year has a couple nice lefty options too. 

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Absolutely great weekend of baseball. Texas is going to destroy mediocre pitching, so I’m interested to see them vs Alabama and in the Shriners classic coming up against some better pitchers. The Texas pitching looks outstanding, starters and bullpen. If the starters can go 6 innings consistently, Texas can throw a different bullpen guy for an inning to finish games all weekend long. 

Pierce has so many options out of the pen and this year has a couple nice lefty options too. 

This is going to be what makes them successful and get to Omaha yet again. Without a doubt the best bullpen in college baseball. Hoping they can stay healthy.

Offense looks much improved, from good last year to even better this year. The swagger is something I haven't see from a Texas team in a long time. Rice really struggled on the mound, but good plate discipline by the Horns. 

This team is complete in every aspect. I really don't know what their weak point is. We might see some of that when they face better competition, but outscoring even the bad teams 36-3 (12-1 average) over a weekend series is what great teams do. I mean they didn't even break a sweat. There were multiple top 10 ranked teams who struggled against very mediocre teams this weekend. 

Gotta love the parody in baseball!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

This is going to be what makes them successful and get to Omaha yet again. Without a doubt the best bullpen in college baseball. Hoping they can stay healthy.

Offense looks much improved, from good last year to even better this year. The swagger is something I haven't see from a Texas team in a long time. Rice really struggled on the mound, but good plate discipline by the Horns. 

This team is complete in every aspect. I really don't know what their weak point is. We might see some of that when they face better competition, but outscoring even the bad teams 36-3 (12-1 average) over a weekend series is what great teams do. I mean they didn't even break a sweat. There were multiple top 10 ranked teams who struggled against very mediocre teams this weekend. 

Gotta love the parody in baseball!

And Texas gets Oklahoma State and TCU at home this year.  Oklahoma State is now ranked #4 after taking 2/3 from Vanderbilt.

In a few weeks they play in one of those classics against Tennessee, LSU, and UCLA.

Also have a home weekend series against Alabama and a road weekend series at South Carolina.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bordertown said:

Graham retired a couple of years ago. He was connected to Houston area baseball and had a good history with developing a pitching staff. Interesting enough, he was a former UT player and in retirement has relocated to Austin and is all in on Longhorn baseball.

What that man was able to do at Rice given the limitations was amazing. Between the academic standards and the complete lack of support from the university, whoever has the job is set up to fail. Graham made it work, but not many others out there could...

I do think Berkman could have handled the job, but again, the university does not lend much support. Cruz will be good, but Berkman was absolutely the right choice.

3 hours ago, Red90fly said:

And Texas gets Oklahoma State and TCU at home this year.  Oklahoma State is now ranked #4 after taking 2/3 from Vanderbilt.

In a few weeks they play in one of those classics against Tennessee, LSU, and UCLA.

Also have a home weekend series against Alabama and a road weekend series at South Carolina.

Wife and I will be at the Tennessee and LSU games next weekend. 

• Mr. P locked this topic