Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

12 hours ago, cotton84 said:

One good shooter, while most top 15-20 teams have a really good shooter and one or two good shooters. 

That's being generous, too. When he's on, he's a good shooter. But that's very rare. My issue with the Texas O is they aren't physical and are too timid to drive to the basket or simply put up a shoot.

Chris Beard can take some of the blame for this, but a lot of this falls on the players not playing the full 40 imo. 

On 3/10/2022 at 2:09 PM, ETXfan16 said:

I gave up on Texas basketball a long time ago. Not saying I don't watch or cheer, but my expectations have always been really low for this program.

Chris Beard's team has been infuriating to watch. They are abysmal on offense.

It seems the offense has regressed as the season has gone along. Tre Mitchell quitting didn't help matters.

Texas takes game 1 vs South Carolina 9-5. Kennedy homered and Melendez homered twice, one with a epic bat flip. 

SC came back this morning and won a 7 inning game 4-2, Stevens struggled in 2 innings and a couple unearned runs was the difference. Texas hit some balls hard but couldn’t find holes. 

Now the hole left by Witt needs answered to get the series win. I think this is a big game for the #1 team. A win or loss won’t decide the season but I think a win really keeps their confidence high. 

1 minute ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas takes game 1 vs South Carolina 9-5. Kennedy homered and Melendez homered twice, one with a epic bat flip. 

SC came back this morning and won a 7 inning game 4-2, Stevens struggled in 2 innings and a couple unearned runs was the difference. Texas hit some balls hard but couldn’t find holes. 

Now the hole left by Witt needs answered to get the series win. I think this is a big game for the #1 team. A win or loss won’t decide the season but I think a win really keeps their confidence high. 

SC threw its ace for the 7 inning game 🧐

On 3/14/2022 at 9:55 AM, ETXfan16 said:

It's still early. I would rather hit this hiccup this early in the season than towards the end. Need to figure things out soon though as we approach conference play.

The hiccup is the behavior from the team. They seemed to be flying a little too high, and hopefully the South Carolina series loss humbles them some...

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

The hiccup is the behavior from the team. They seemed to be flying a little too high, and hopefully the South Carolina series loss humbles them some...

Flying too high? They came into the season with the best returning roster, ranked #1, and with a motto of “own the expectations”.

This team has multiple players that trash talk and play with a ton of emotion. Faltine is the ring leader and what we saw vs Texas State will continue all season because that’s who they are. Will they take lumps and losses? Of course, but they won’t stop talking smack, flipping bats, and playing the game with an edge. This squad feels like they should’ve won it all last year and their confidence won’t waiver because they lose a game or a series. They remember how they starter 0-3 last season and how they finished. 

I just want to know what’s going on with the baseball team lately. Trail 8-4 to Charleston in the 6th. 

Ever since Witt was pulled from his last start (prior to announcing he needed surgery), it’s like the wheels have fallen off. 

17 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I just want to know what’s going on with the baseball team lately. Trail 8-4 to Charleston in the 6th. 

Ever since Witt was pulled from his last start (prior to announcing he needed surgery), it’s like the wheels have fallen off. 

Yep, they've hit a wall after the big wins over Tennessee and LSU.

The team came out guns blazing and are hitting their first gut check. With Witt out and Duplantier struggling, weekday games are going to be an adventure. Tonight the offense couldn’t come up with the big hit late. That happens, you just have to play through it. 
Eckert was good for a few innings and Harrison was good for 3 innings but gotta figure out the weekday pen. Still feel like this team is the best team in the country on Friday and Saturday nights, after that they’re a good team. 

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

The team came out guns blazing and are hitting their first gut check. With Witt out and Duplantier struggling, weekday games are going to be an adventure. Tonight the offense couldn’t come up with the big hit late. That happens, you just have to play through it. 
Eckert was good for a few innings and Harrison was good for 3 innings but gotta figure out the weekday pen. Still feel like this team is the best team in the country on Friday and Saturday nights, after that they’re a good team. 

The problem is it’s that Sunday is the difference in losing in the supers and winning it all. But hey I’m over here watching my Ags in full rebuild mode and likely going to miss the postseason. 

9 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

You said it. Witt. IMO they are mentally dealing with losing Witt.

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

The problem is it’s that Sunday is the difference in losing in the supers and winning it all. But hey I’m over here watching my Ags in full rebuild mode and likely going to miss the postseason. 

You’re 100% correct. I bet Pierce and Allen will figure it out. 

I still maintain that Harrison should move into the Sunday starter role. We might’ve seen that idea start to grow legs with him throwing 3 innings yesterday. His longest outing of the year. 

25 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas will have played, after today, 9 road games in 13 days + the 1 home game vs Texas State. That’s a lot of baseball and Pierce is using a lot of pitchers right now to figure out who he can rely on.  

They’ll get it figured out. 

Pierce did this intentionally and he even said it last night. He planned this long road trip so they can get uncomfortable. I don't think he planned to go through this slump, but it's baseball. They will grow from this.

Heck, Ole Miss lost to Southeastern Louisiana last night too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Flying too high? They came into the season with the best returning roster, ranked #1, and with a motto of “own the expectations”.

This team has multiple players that trash talk and play with a ton of emotion. Faltine is the ring leader and what we saw vs Texas State will continue all season because that’s who they are. Will they take lumps and losses? Of course, but they won’t stop talking smack, flipping bats, and playing the game with an edge. This squad feels like they should’ve won it all last year and their confidence won’t waiver because they lose a game or a series. They remember how they starter 0-3 last season and how they finished. 

Flying too high might have been the wrong wording. They were the #1 team and played like it...As you said, they play with a lot of emotion, and maybe that emotion kind of boiled over some. 

I completely understand trash talk is part of the game, but when they talk trash like they do, and lose, it seems to magnify losses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Flying too high might have been the wrong wording. They were the #1 team and played like it...As you said, they play with a lot of emotion, and maybe that emotion kind of boiled over some. 

I completely understand trash talk is part of the game, but when they talk trash like they do, and lose, it seems to magnify losses. 

Their losses are definitely magnified. The UCLA was the only game they haven’t played in front of a sold out crowd. 

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas baseball definitely has a lot of eyes on them this season. Like @topher805 said their losses are magnified. Handling adversity and the attention is important for a team that has title expectations. 

I agree the expectations are huge. Texas is also an emotional bunch. Can be a little mouthy and arrogant at times. I do not have a problem with that at all because I like a little swag from my baseball team, but it rubs people the wrong way and they enjoy seeing those teams lose. 

I also just think in general people enjoy hating Texas. I hope you can take this without turning this into a huge deal but the university of Texas by nature is pretty arrogant. They don’t rub elbows well with very many people. There’s an elitist attitude that just oozes out and mostly because Texans by nature have that arrogance. But you’ll be hard pressed to find a legitimate fan of many sports that does not enjoy watching Texas lose. This isn’t exclusive to just Aggies and Sooners in my experience. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I agree the expectations are huge. Texas is also an emotional bunch. Can be a little mouthy and arrogant at times. I do not have a problem with that at all because I like a little swag from my baseball team, but it rubs people the wrong way and they enjoy seeing those teams lose. 

I also just think in general people enjoy hating Texas. I hope you can take this without turning this into a huge deal but the university of Texas by nature is pretty arrogant. They don’t rub elbows well with very many people. There’s an elitist attitude that just oozes out and mostly because Texans by nature have that arrogance. But you’ll be hard pressed to find a legitimate fan of many sports that does not enjoy watching Texas lose. This isn’t exclusive to just Aggies and Sooners in my experience. 

Completely agree. You’ll no argument from me trying to say different. Texas should own it imo. 

Remember I was the one telling Aggie fans to own the bought recruiting class. 

• Mr. P locked this topic