Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

4 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Texas baseball playing poorly as of late.  Dropped first two in Lubbock in pretty pathetic fashion.

They are going to be alright. Perhaps not the undisputed number 1 anymore, but they are still built for a strong showing in the post season. I really haven’t seen anyone yet that I think is the clear favorite at this point. 

20 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

The pitching staff has struggled in road games. I still don’t think Pierce knows who he can trust yet. 
Texas is going to have to hang their hat on the offense until the pitching can settle in. 

They’ve always depended on Pitching and Defense, now it’s the offense. Times have changed, but man can they swing it, Stehly, Melendez, and Faltine are on fire.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Good W for the Ags. Our pitching was terrible last night. Pierce has a lot of work to do with that bullpen. I mean that was atrocious.

I agree they are struggling right now. They have a very talented roster but aren’t putting it together at the moment. They will be fine. They do need to turn around quick though if they want to host a super. They could fall out of the top 10 if they lose the weekend series. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Good W for the Ags. Our pitching was terrible last night. Pierce has a lot of work to do with that bullpen. I mean that was atrocious.

As I've stated previously, pitching has fallen apart since Witt went down. I would've expected the #2 and 3 guys to still hold their own, but they just haven't. 

I keep seeing all the comments such as,

"they weren't dominated, I'm not worried"

"that's how baseball goes"

and pretty much anything else anyone wants to say to convince themselves not to worry.

Here's the reality, since starting 11-0, Texas baseball is 8-8. .500 is not going to get it done in the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Had to follow the game on Twitter. Seemed like much of the same from Texas. I can’t understand why Jared Southard keeps getting chances. Dude gives up walks and run every time out. 

The bats need to stay hot until the pitchers figure it out. It might be time to see some different arms, rather than the same guys that keep repeating the same mistakes. 

Ive been one to somewhat dismiss the bullpen struggles as just part of baseballs up and down nature. Part of that is seeing these same pitchers look great in games to start the season and part of that is not having ever seen Texas pitching truly struggle, normally that’s the offense. I still don’t believe it’s time to panic but they need to figure it out and do it soon. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

As I've stated previously, pitching has fallen apart since Witt went down. I would've expected the #2 and 3 guys to still hold their own, but they just haven't. 

I keep seeing all the comments such as,

"they weren't dominated, I'm not worried"

"that's how baseball goes"

and pretty much anything else anyone wants to say to convince themselves not to worry.

Here's the reality, since starting 11-0, Texas baseball is 8-8. .500 is not going to get it done in the end.

I'm not to the point where I'm in panic mode, but I am getting more and more concerned as each game gets played. They've had a reality check the past couple of weeks. I still think they are a really good team, but they are losing the mental game right now and they better figure it out ASAP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

If I were a hitter for Texas, I'd be beyond angry. 

They were up 11-7 in the 8th against Tech, and that wasn't enough. Then up 12-11 in the 10th and that wasn't enough. Scoring 10 runs in games and it not being enough would have me furious. What more can they realistically do?!

Then at one point in the game last night, they had scored 8 runs but were still trailing by 4. The Texas bats are scary good (4 guys hitting over .350?!!), and that Ivan Melendez is one of the best hitters I've ever seen. I just checked and his OPS is 1.453 and he's hit 13 HR in only 27 games. That is INSANITY. 

But man, I thought OUR bullpen was bad (and it is). Texas seems to have an even worse BP. 

7 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

If I were a hitter for Texas, I'd be beyond angry. 

They were up 11-7 in the 8th against Tech, and that wasn't enough. Then up 12-11 in the 10th and that wasn't enough. Scoring 10 runs in games and it not being enough would have me furious. What more can they realistically do?!

Then at one point in the game last night, they had scored 8 runs but were still trailing by 4. The Texas bats are scary good (4 guys hitting over .350?!!), and that Ivan Melendez is one of the best hitters I've ever seen. I just checked and his OPS is 1.453 and he's hit 13 HR in only 27 games. That is INSANITY. 

But man, I thought OUR bullpen was bad (and it is). Texas seems to have an even worse BP. 

My thoughts exactly. It's almost like the offense is just wasting it's energy right now. Like you mentioned, putting up 10+ runs and losing is such an uphill battled to climb as an offense. Literally have dude's batting in the .400's and the bullpen can't seem to provide any help right now.

I just hope this offensive hot streak doesn't go to waste, because right now it's starting to look like it's heading that direction.

5 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Murphy Stehly is batting .472 with 50 hits in 106 at bats. That’s ridiculous 

How long can Texas keep Tulo on staff? 

That's insane too- his OPS is a ridiculous 1.328. 

Surely some of these numbers will drop a bit, though we've seen guys bat .400 in college. That would be cool if Texas had 2 guys do it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Murphy Stehly is batting .472 with 50 hits in 106 at bats. That’s ridiculous 

He's not a volunteer anymore I believe, so he's getting paid now (not that he needs that lol).

I haven't heard much about what his intention is coaching college ball. I assume he has interest in being a HC but I haven't heard much about it. He does a good job of laying low.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:
1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

He's not a volunteer anymore I believe, so he's getting paid now (not that he needs that lol).

I haven't heard much about what his intention is coaching college ball. I assume

Even volunteer coaches get paid. They do things like run the baseball camps and take a decent salary from that. For all intents and purposes, volunteer coaches get paid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Even volunteer coaches get paid. They do things like run the baseball camps and take a decent salary from that. For all intents and purposes, volunteer coaches get paid. 

Ahhh good to know. My ignorance, whoops.

• Mr. P locked this topic