Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

20 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Ahhh good to know. My ignorance, whoops.

No no, it's something I often wondered too. I was like, "How do these guys just do this for free?! Don't they have bills to pay?" 

It's amazing what athletic departments do to stay within compliance and games they play with taxes. Like A&M. If you buy tickets, you DONATE to the 12thManFoundation, not to Athletics directly. Has to do with all sorts of taxes and regulations. Summer camps are a completely separate entity too, and thus how a coach can "volunteer" (in that they don't take a salary from an Athletics Department) but still get paid. 

23 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

No no, it's something I often wondered too. I was like, "How do these guys just do this for free?! Don't they have bills to pay?" 

It's amazing what athletic departments do to stay within compliance and games they play with taxes. Like A&M. If you buy tickets, you DONATE to the 12thManFoundation, not to Athletics directly. Has to do with all sorts of taxes and regulations. Summer camps are a completely separate entity too, and thus how a coach can "volunteer" (in that they don't take a salary from an Athletics Department) but still get paid. 

Athletic departments pull off the sketchiest/smartest ways to move around compliance. And that's coming from someone who worked in one for 3 years. If they can figure it out, hats off to them for the creativity haha

3 hours ago, Baron said:

S'Maje Burrell commits to Texas. That is a big get at a position of need.

Video

He's a mid-to-high 3* on 247, but #74 nationally on On3.  Think he's somewhere in between IMO, low/mid 4*.  The rare off ball LB in Texas these days that's pretty damn good.  Good offer list as well.

6 hours ago, thegreatbambino said:

Texas takes 2 of 3 from OU after coming back from 6 down in the 7th today to take the series.

Texas was brutal at the plate until late in the game. 9 of the first 10 ABs starting with a called fastball strike. We got more aggressive late in the game and took advantage of some OU miscues.

Didn’t get to watch very much of the series vs OU this weekend but I’m glad they were able to win the series. 

Texas plays their next 14 of 18 at home and they need to win a lot of them. It won’t be easy though with TCU and Oklahoma St in there. 

Texas stayed hot at the plate last night won 13-5 over UT-Rio Grand

Ekhardt was touched up for 9 hits and 5 earned runs. 
Harrison, Stehlee, and Labarron Johnson each threw hitless and scoreless innings. 

TCU comes in to Austin Friday night. Big weekend for the Horns. 

• Like 1

Good series win for Texas. Hansen is throwing so well right now. Stevens is not, need to get him figured out. Hats off to Lucas Gordon, he has really stepped up with Witt going down and taken over the Sunday starter. 

Still work to do with the bullpen and hopefully they can get Eric Kennedy back soon. The top of the lineup hasn’t been the same without him. Todd is swinging it well, since returning. 

Horns take care of business in the midweek game. Melendez hit 2 more home runs and now lead the country with 16. 

Easter weekend means they’ll begin their road series vs KState tonight. A series win is fine but a sweep should be the goal this weekend. 

Why on God’s green earth are our University of Texas Longhorns ranked in the top 10 of a preseason FOOTBALL poll, much less #6 in the country?!!!

Of course I want them to be ranked this high, but only after earning that ranking.

Last season’s final W-L record did not earn them a preseason top 10 ranking.

Really, UT probably needs to be unranked to start the season or like # 20 - 25, something like that.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Why on God’s green earth are our University of Texas Longhorns ranked in the top 10 of a preseason FOOTBALL poll, much less #6 in the country?!!!

Of course I want them to be ranked this high, but only after earning that ranking.

Last season’s final W-L record did not earn them a preseason top 10 ranking.

Really, UT probably needs to be unranked to start the season or like # 20 - 25, something like that.

This is just ESPNs FPI ranking. It’s not their preseason ranking. Basically this fpi thing is just a ESPN computer model. It doesn’t have any bearing on what the real rankings are. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This is just ESPNs FPI ranking. It’s not their preseason ranking. Basically this fpi thing is just a ESPN computer model. It doesn’t have any bearing on what the real rankings are. 

Oh!!! Ok, I’m happier with that then.

UT doesn’t deserve to be ranked nearly that high in the preseason poll.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Oh!!! Ok, I’m happier with that then.

UT doesn’t deserve to be ranked nearly that high in the preseason poll.

I think they will likely be in that 20-25 range. Ewers brings a ton of hype and everyone in the media is always thinking “when” not “if” regarding Texas and their return. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I am not a fan of such generated pre-season rankings. It only adds fire to the feeble-minded fans/non fans position on Texas both for and against them.

Agree completely. But people will click on stuff like this and that’s the goal. I don’t care what metrics you use there’s simply no way Texas enters the season top 10 in any form of poll or ranking. I’m convinced ESPN puts one or more teams in this randomly every year to generate attention. 

4 hours ago, Baron said:

So if I understand this correctly, it’s more about talent advantage over each specific schedule? Meaning Texas could be 6 because they have recruited so much better than their schedule not because they are necessarily the 6th best team. Is that the way others read it? 

if that’s the case, it makes sense. Texas on paper is hands down better than everyone on the schedule but Bama and 50/50 with ou. Meaning their number 6 ranking makes sense relative to their schedule on paper.  Now we all know games aren’t played on paper but it makes sense why the ESPN computers would favor them. 

• Like 2

• Mr. P locked this topic