Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

5 minutes ago, oldschool32 said:

If they are competitive week 2 against bama then I say yes.

I still feel they'll drop some conference games, because, well, that's just what we've been accustomed to seeing the last decade.

Texas does have a favorable schedule with only four true road games (Tech, both Kansas schools, and OK State).

Baylor, OK State, and ISU lost a ton of starters from last year.

Last year teams started taking away Bijan and blanketing Worthy because Texas didn't have a reliable #2 WR.  Should change this year with the two transfers and possibly Brennan Thompson.  It also sounds like Ja'Tavion Sanders has secured the TE spot and will be a weapon, plus Texas brought in Billingsley who was real good in Sark's O' two seasons ago, but didn't do well in Bill O'Brien's offense.

I'm fully prepared to be let down as usual, guess we'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Is Texas the favorite in the big 12 this year? 

Ehhh no if you ask me. I'm not sure who the favorite is but I have to see more from the Horns (specifically trenches) before I make that call. The big 12 is really down this year imo. I expect OU to have some pains, Baylor lost a ton of key talent, I definitely think we will see a totally new team compared to last year, but the defense will have to be better. Landing Mathis from TCU would be huge. The offense skill positions are absolutely ridiculous, but not of that matters if they are weak in the trenches.

3 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

Ever since Witt went down the Texas baseball team has been a shell of what they started the season as, it is really disappointing.

Said it a while back, but this team has mentally folded. At least the pitching staff has. Outside of Hansen and Stevens, the bullpen has regressed tremendously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Is Texas the favorite in the big 12 this year? 

Eh, I wouldn't go there yet. I do believe with consistent QB play, they win the B12 last year. I think the receiver group (TE's included) will be better, as will the RB group. I think the defense will be better as well. The questions are on the OL, and QB. There's been a lot of talk that Card has gotten much better, but based on what I saw from him last year, he'd have to have drastic improvement. As for Ewers, we just don't have anything to see yet, in order to make a determination. 

That all said, I think I'd have to consider Baylor the favorite right now. They return their QB, most of the OL, and most of the defense. OU lost A LOT! Ok State lost most of their secondary, as well as their starting QB. 

I’m really sad about the baseball team. Such promise to begin the year and now it’s spiraling out of control. 

The pitching staff has been abysmal. Losing Witt forced mid-week games into bullpen games and the bullpen has been the weakest I can ever remember at Texas. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

Ever since Witt went down the Texas baseball team has been a shell of what they started the season as, it is really disappointing.

I've said this several times in recent weeks as well.

Texas is still ranked #10, but only because of the team that took the field the first 11 games. If you go by the 28 games played since then, they are not a Top 25 team.

3 hours ago, oldschool32 said:

If they are competitive week 2 against bama then I say yes.

I think this game will be competitive regardless.  Texas has lots of talent, if they can’t stop the run though, it won’t matter.  I don’t think PK’s scheme is very good though.  I hope I eat those words

54 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

That all said, I think I'd have to consider Baylor the favorite right now. They return their QB, most of the OL, and most of the defense. OU lost A LOT! Ok State lost most of their secondary, as well as their starting QB. 

Spencer Sanders is back for OK State.  They did lose a bunch on D' plus the DC, but made a good hire in Mason.  Probably Texas's toughest road game this year.

20 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think this game will be competitive regardless.  Texas has lots of talent, if they can’t stop the run though, it won’t matter.  I don’t think PK’s scheme is very good though.  I hope I eat those words

I'm just going to believe the defense will be better if nothing else knowing Brendan Schooler, Luke Brockermeyer, Jett Bush, and BJ Foster won't be on the field.

3 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

I'm just going to believe the defense will be better if nothing else knowing Brendan Schooler, Luke Brockermeyer, Jett Bush, and BJ Foster won't be on the field.

Definitely addition by subtraction, but the same staff that put them on the field are still there 

Reading all your guys responses I do agree. Another aspect I think that needs to be talked about more so that just players is mentality. This team last year absolutely folded mentally after that OU game. If they take a thumping against Bama (I expect them to) or they drop a game they shouldn’t early, will they keep it together or spiral like last year? 

3 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Spencer Sanders is back for OK State.  They did lose a bunch on D' plus the DC, but made a good hire in Mason.  Probably Texas's toughest road game this year.

I'm not impressed with Spencer Sanders. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Reading all your guys responses I do agree. Another aspect I think that needs to be talked about more so that just players is mentality. This team last year absolutely folded mentally after that OU game. If they take a thumping against Bama (I expect them to) or they drop a game they shouldn’t early, will they keep it together or spiral like last year? 

I don't completely agree with that. 

I think Casey Thompson folded after the OU game, but the team as a whole still came out and took double digit leads against Ok State and Baylor, before collapsing in the second half of each. I think it was after that, that the team lost all confidence in Thompson, and quit. 

I think they'll lose to Bama, but by how much depends on QB play. If they compete against Bama, I think they'll be just fine. LSU in 2019 was one of the best football teams we've all seen in years. Texas went toe to toe with them. While a loss, they rebounded by winning the next 3, before losing a close game to OU. 

Sark has made a lot of changes throughout the offseason. While I am looking forward to seeing some of the new players, I'm even more-so looking forward to seeing if what he's doing to change the attitude is working. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I don't completely agree with that. 

I think Casey Thompson folded after the OU game, but the team as a whole still came out and took double digit leads against Ok State and Baylor, before collapsing in the second half of each. I think it was after that, that the team lost all confidence in Thompson, and quit. 

I think they'll lose to Bama, but by how much depends on QB play. If they compete against Bama, I think they'll be just fine. LSU in 2019 was one of the best football teams we've all seen in years. Texas went toe to toe with them. While a loss, they rebounded by winning the next 3, before losing a close game to OU. 

Sark has made a lot of changes throughout the offseason. While I am looking forward to seeing some of the new players, I'm even more-so looking forward to seeing if what he's doing to change the attitude is working. 

I don’t think the Bama game has any indication on how the season will or won’t go for Texas. They could lose by 28 and still go on to have a strong conference showing. Texas has a lot of young guys and will be playing a very experienced Bama team. I don’t put any stock into that LSU game and what may or may not happen this year. I expect Bama to win handily, but that does mean it’s a failure for Texas by any means imo. For me where this program is will be determined by what happens in the event they do not keep it competitive. You’ll learn a lot about this program under Sark by the first 4 weeks of this season. 

48 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I don’t think the Bama game has any indication on how the season will or won’t go for Texas. They could lose by 28 and still go on to have a strong conference showing. Texas has a lot of young guys and will be playing a very experienced Bama team. I don’t put any stock into that LSU game and what may or may not happen this year. I expect Bama to win handily, but that does mean it’s a failure for Texas by any means imo. For me where this program is will be determined by what happens in the event they do not keep it competitive. You’ll learn a lot about this program under Sark by the first 4 weeks of this season. 

Oh I agree. I wasn’t saying all of that to say it would determine the season. I was only referring to whether or not they handle the outcome mentally. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oldschool32 said:

If PK can't field a defense that can at least pinch someone, does Patterson take over at DC?

13 hours ago, cotton84 said:

If Gary P is heavily involved with the team, I don’t see mental letdowns/quitting on the team happening until the last game or two, if at all. 

Have you guys watched TCU play football the last 3-4 years?

22 hours ago, Red90fly said:

The only thing I would say to that is, the coaching staff had those four playing above others for a reason...Maybe they are terrible talent evaluators, or worse, the talent behind them wasn't good...

• Mr. P locked this topic