Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

It’s very good, but it’s exactly like Argyle in 4A athletics winning ten years in a row, how many championships were earned in the sports people/the regular sports fans care about?

Texas has been bad by Texas standards in football for 15 years now. 
Texas has not participated in a men’s basketball Final Four in years, and it’s been quite some time since they won the CWS title. 
Winning the national championship in swimming, golf, and competing extremely well in volleyball is great, but UT needs to win the big boy sports national championships too.

Think about this, UT has won this competition two years in a row, but if it weren’t announced who would know they’d earned it?  I mean, football, baseball and basketball is where it’s at.

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

It’s very good, but it’s exactly like Argyle in 4A athletics winning ten years in a row, how many championships were earned in the sports people/the regular sports fans care about?

Texas has not participated in a men’s basketball Final Four in years, and it’s been quite some time since they won the CWS title. 
Winning the national championship in swimming, golf, and competing extremely well in volleyball is great, but UT needs to win the big boy sports national championships too.

Think about this, UT has won this competition two years in a row, but if it weren’t announced who would know they’d earned it?  I mean, football, baseball and basketball is where it’s at.

First and foremost, the Director's Cup isn't won on Championships alone. Teams earn points based on where they finish nationally in their respective sports. 

Texas is coming off a year that saw it finish as the National Champion, or Runner-Up in 10 out of 18 sports. 

The basketball team also played in the NCAA tournament, advancing to the second round. 

The baseball team just qualified for its 38th CWS appearance. 

While you may not find that impressive, simply because of the lack of success of ONE sport, it is. Which leads me to the bold faced comment above. While football is clearly the #1 sport in America, that does not mean it's the only one that counts. I guarantee you the individuals participating in those sports that won NC's this year, along with their families, care. 

Like most, I played multiple sports when I was younger. As I got older, my primary sport was football. And even still, I find it ridiculous when people make that comment, 'what about the sports people care about', as if people don't care about the others. 

• Like 2

Being the best athletic program in the country is definitely something to celebrate. Every athletic program in D1  competes for this trophy and title as the best. There won’t be an asterisk on the trophy that says “but didn’t win a NC in football, basketball, or baseball”. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

First and foremost, the Director's Cup isn't won on Championships alone. Teams earn points based on where they finish nationally in their respective sports. 

Texas is coming off a year that saw it finish as the National Champion, or Runner-Up in 10 out of 18 sports. 

The basketball team also played in the NCAA tournament, advancing to the second round. 

The baseball team just qualified for its 38th CWS appearance. 

While you may not find that impressive, simply because of the lack of success of ONE sport, it is. Which leads me to the bold faced comment above. While football is clearly the #1 sport in America, that does not mean it's the only one that counts. I guarantee you the individuals participating in those sports that won NC's this year, along with their families, care. 

Like most, I played multiple sports when I was younger. As I got older, my primary sport was football. And even still, I find it ridiculous when people make that comment, 'what about the sports people care about', as if people don't care about the others. 

I agree............Most casual sports fans can tell you what sport Jordan Spieth and Scottie Scheffler play.

18 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Being the best athletic program in the country is definitely something to celebrate. Every athletic program in D1  competes for this trophy and title as the best. There won’t be an asterisk on the trophy that says “but didn’t win a NC in football, basketball, or baseball”. 

If you ask the casual person "Who won the national title in football 10 years ago?" they could probably tell you. They couldn't tell you who won this cup 10 years ago. I remember in Sherman's first year at A&M, A&M went 4-8 in football but finished like top 5 in this cup. A&M fans thumped their chests about it and I was like, "I'm sorry. I just don't really care about half the sports A&M did well in." I liked A&M's 2012 and 2020 football years FAR more than whatever years we finished high in the director's cup standings (which I couldn't even tell you). That's just me. 

Nonetheless, congrats. Chris del Conte has done an amazing job there and is a lot more likeable than Dodds was ha

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I guarantee you the individuals participating in those sports that won NC's this year, along with their families, care. 

That kinda makes his point. "Individuals and their families" care. They don't bring 100,000 people to watch them on weekends with millions more on TV. 

Lol when China wins 10m Air Rifle in the Olympics and tries to equate that to USA's 4x400 team winning Gold, I just laugh. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

If you look at the sports Texas competes, they are primarily mainstream sports that most schools participate. The only exception is women’s rowing, which Texas won a national championship. Why would Texas have a rowing team …. Lady Bird Lake. Many universities have programs that compete with a limited number of other schools. Oklahoma competes in gymnastics. A&M competes in equestrian. Oklahoma St competes in wrestling. Compare the 18 sports Texas won the Director’s Cup to the 36 sports runner up Stanford competes. 

10 minutes ago, bordertown said:

If you look at the sports Texas competes, they are primarily mainstream sports that most schools participate. The only exception is women’s rowing, which Texas won a national championship. Why would Texas have a rowing team …. Lady Bird Lake. Many universities have programs that compete with a limited number of other schools. Oklahoma competes in gymnastics. A&M competes in equestrian. Oklahoma St competes in wrestling. Compare the 18 sports Texas won the Director’s Cup to the 36 sports runner up Stanford competes. 

They practice and compete on the Colorado River.

UT needs to be good in FOOTBALL, baseball and men’s basketball.

Texas is good in baseball and ok in basketball.

I am not going to apologize for wanting Texas to dominate in the sport that it truly has a passion for and the population of Texas is passionate about.

Yes, in importance, football outweighs all the smaller sports combined. 
It’s just the way it is.

I am proud UT has won the Director’s Cup two years in a row, but when the football team didn’t really support the entire athletics department in achieving that goal it just isn’t that exciting.

Tough way for the season to end but maybe an appropriate way. The things that plagued the Horns during season showed up in both game in Omaha. 

Definitely a season that was frustrating most of the year but the offense was a lot of fun to watch and you ended your season in Omaha. 

Next year will basically be a new team and I expect to see Tulo hired away from this staff. Will be a lot of new faces and a lot of excitement. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Tough way for the season to end but maybe an appropriate way. The things that plagued the Horns during season showed up in both game in Omaha. 

Definitely a season that was frustrating most of the year but the offense was a lot of fun to watch and you ended your season in Omaha. 

Next year will basically be a new team and I expect to see Tulo hired away from this staff. Will be a lot of new faces and a lot of excitement. 

Just glad the NCAA gave Texas the easy path to Omaha.  Lol, to hear some tell it they pretty much put them in Omaha 

3 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Texas was just never the same after Witt went down. There were brief flashes of a good team but never the dominant team as leading into the season. The Aggies strung it all together at the right time.

So glad the Aggies got their third cws victory under their belt

10 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Just glad the NCAA gave Texas the easy path to Omaha.  Lol, to hear some tell it they pretty much put them in Omaha 

This baseball season has been like no other. Only 4 seeded teams made it to Omaha and 2 of them will go 0-2. The transfer portal has been a game changer in baseball. A&M is the perfect example for how unpredictable the portal will make college baseball going forward. 

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

This baseball season has been like no other. Only 4 seeded teams made it to Omaha and 2 of them will go 0-2. The transfer portal has been a game changer in baseball. A&M is the perfect example for how unpredictable the portal will make college baseball going forward. 

And our $30 million of NIL contracts. 🤣

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, thegreatbambino said:

Interested to see what the draft does to Texas and what holes they fill with the portal. I think the entire OF will return in Kennedy, Hodo, and Campbell. Middle infield should be back in Faltine and Daly. Pitching will be a mystery.

Hodo and Kennedy both have degrees and while they’re both legacies I think they move on. Hodo might have a higher a chance of staying. 
Faltine is probably gone, he’s an elite defensive SS and improved his bat enough this year to get him a high enough draft slot. 
Campbell and Daly are the only two position players expected to return. The pitching staff will only lose 3, Hansen, Stevens, and Oliveras. Southard is expected to be a maybe depending on draft. 
Texas is probably going to get all of their signees to Austin. I believe there are 2 maybe 3 high school guys that may have a draft decision to make. 
If Tulo stays at Texas as the hitting coach then you might get a couple more of the position players to stick around but most expect him to take a job elsewhere. There is some talk of him getting the USC gig, him being a California guy helps them. 

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Hodo and Kennedy both have degrees and while they’re both legacies I think they move on. Hodo might have a higher a chance of staying. 
Faltine is probably gone, he’s an elite defensive SS and improved his bat enough this year to get him a high enough draft slot. 
Campbell and Daly are the only two position players expected to return. The pitching staff will only lose 3, Hansen, Stevens, and Oliveras. Southard is expected to be a maybe depending on draft. 
Texas is probably going to get all of their signees to Austin. I believe there are 2 maybe 3 high school guys that may have a draft decision to make. 
If Tulo stays at Texas as the hitting coach then you might get a couple more of the position players to stick around but most expect him to take a job elsewhere. There is some talk of him getting the USC gig, him being a California guy helps them. 

Went and read some of the other boards and they say the same thing regarding Hodo and Faltine. It’s going to be a completely different team next year.

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic