Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Doubt that would be your sentiment if he announced he was going to be an aggy ....

Actually yes it would. I’ve been saying since last year before Arch had even really started taking visits and there were no true leaders that I thought he was overrated. His film is nothing but him throwing easy pitch and catch throws to a D1 receiver while the kids he’s playing are Texas 3a jv caliber. 

He’s got tools and no doubt I’m sure his family has been grooming him well, but there is absolutely nothing that can be said to justify his ranking as the unanimous number 1 player. 

8 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Actually yes it would. I’ve been saying since last year before Arch had even really started taking visits and there were no true leaders that I thought he was overrated. His film is nothing but him throwing easy pitch and catch throws to a D1 receiver while the kids he’s playing are Texas 3a jv caliber. 

He’s got tools and no doubt I’m sure his family has been grooming him well, but there is absolutely nothing that can be said to justify his ranking as the unanimous number 1 player. 

Word on the street is it was a power point presentation from Vince Young about transitioning your college skills to become an All-Pro QB in the NFL that put Arch’s commitment over the top. 

• Love 1
  • LOL! 2

5 hours ago, Valhalla said:

No, this is the biggest commitment in the modern recruiting era according to the Athletic. Who are we to question.

Your sarcasm is noted, but from all accounts the Manning commitment has produced a cornucopia of interest from recruits that were considered long shots.

It’s obviously a huge victory for UT if he signs, and his commitment will draw interest and possibly commitments from other top prospects.

I understand where folks are coming from in saying he’s overhyped, but every other college would also love to have him.

Texas needs players like Manning, and we’ll see if he is a stud in due time. 

7 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

It’s obviously a huge victory for UT if he signs, and his commitment will draw interest and possibly commitments from other top prospects.

I understand where folks are coming from in saying he’s overhyped, but every other college would also love to have him.

Texas needs players like Manning, and we’ll see if he is a stud in due time. 

I think his commitment is bigger for perception than anything. I honestly don’t think he ever plays any meaningful time for Texas, but his commitment does draw attention to the program. That being said, Sark needs to win 9+ games this year regular season or else this might all be for not. Not in terms of Manning sticking but in terms of anyone having any hope of Sark ever doing anything at Texas. You simply cannot go 8-4 or worse with that schedule in year two. Not with the talent differential Texas has. 

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

I think his commitment is bigger for perception than anything. I honestly don’t think he ever plays any meaningful time for Texas, but his commitment does draw attention to the program. That being said, Sark needs to win 9+ games this year regular season or else this might all be for not. Not in terms of Manning sticking but in terms of anyone having any hope of Sark ever doing anything at Texas. You simply cannot go 8-4 or worse with that schedule in year two. Not with the talent differential Texas has. 

Sark needs to win now.

However, I don’t follow you on the statement Manning will never play a meaningful down at UT if he does ultimately attend UT.

39 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Sark needs to win now.

However, I don’t follow you on the statement Manning will never play a meaningful down at UT if he does ultimately attend UT.

It’s because Arch never had any real interest in A&M. Now Haynes King, that guys a legit baller under-rated 6 Star. 

• LOL! 2

9 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

It’s because Arch never had any real interest in A&M. Now Haynes King, that guys a legit baller under-rated 6 Star. 

No, Haynes is not some superhero. He probably doesn’t even win the job this year. He’s always had holes in his game, he just fits what Jimbo likes to do is the only reason I liked the kid. But he too is likely not going to play much ball. It’s going to be max Johnson until Weigman is ready I think. 

52 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Sark needs to win now.

I don’t think he beats out Ewers who will probably play 2-3 more seasons depending on how well the team does and I don’t see Manning sticking to sit for that long. 

31 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I don’t think he beats out Ewers who will probably play 2-3 more seasons depending on how well the team does and I don’t see Manning sticking to sit for that long. 

Ewers is a 3 and done guy if he’s good enough. If he’s not good enough, Manning will certainly have a chance to win the job. 

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

Ewers is a 3 and done guy if he’s good enough. If he’s not good enough, Manning will certainly have a chance to win the job. 

But what I’m saying is what if he doesn’t win it? I think everyone is assuming that one of these two are going to be elite, all I’m saying is what if that’s not the case? I remember a time when people where very high on Card and Thompson and here we are 9 months later both are out of the picture. They weren’t the same ranking by the services but they also weren’t scrubs. 

49 minutes ago, WETSU said:

But what I’m saying is what if he doesn’t win it? I think everyone is assuming that one of these two are going to be elite, all I’m saying is what if that’s not the case? I remember a time when people where very high on Card and Thompson and here we are 9 months later both are out of the picture. They weren’t the same ranking by the services but they also weren’t scrubs. 

Thompson was never going to be the guy. He was built and recruited for Hermans offense. I think Card is going to be tough to unseat as the starter in fall camp. 

One thing I never thought about with Card is his lack of live reps as a QB. He played WR as a freshman and sophomore at Lake Travis. Got a full year at QB as a Junior and then missed half of his senior year with a foot injury. RS at Texas as a freshman and was in and out of the lineup as a RS freshman last year. While Card is very polished in his mechanics, he doesn’t have near the live in-game reps at the QB position as Ewers or Manning. Diagnosing coverages in-game is something he has to improve because he has the arm talent. 

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Thompson was never going to be the guy. He was built and recruited for Hermans offense. I think Card is going to be tough to unseat as the starter in fall camp. 

One thing I never thought about with Card is his lack of live reps as a QB. He played WR as a freshman and sophomore at Lake Travis. Got a full year at QB as a Junior and then missed half of his senior year with a foot injury. RS at Texas as a freshman and was in and out of the lineup as a RS freshman last year. While Card is very polished in his mechanics, he doesn’t have near the live in-game reps at the QB position as Ewers or Manning. Diagnosing coverages in-game is something he has to improve because he has the arm talent. 

Card seems to be an after thought these days. Ewers has the arm talent and composure to supplant Card. One thing I saw from Card during the spring game was happy feet that made him seem to hurry his throws.

7 hours ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

Rumor from GoMeanGreen.com is that our best LB KD Davis is heading to UT via the transfer portal. He just entered the portal yesterday. 

Not sure what happened, but that's a big loss for us. He is a little undersized, but he flys around the football field. 

While still in Big 12, your description of him is perfectly fine for Texas…….Once in SEC, better be pretty much a stud if undersized.  
Longhorns can use a LB/hybrid who can fly around the field in 2022.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

I think Card will soon be the odd man out ....

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

While still in Big 12, your description of him is perfectly fine for Texas…….Once in SEC, better be pretty much a stud if undersized.  
Longhorns can use a LB/hybrid who can fly around the field in 2022.  

The guy that has orangebloods was tweeting to be on the look out for him to UT.

He visited TAMU today, and is supposed to go to Ole Miss soon. Some of our former coaches are on the Ole Miss staff.

121 Tackles, 13.5 for loss, and 5.5 sacks. 1st Team All C-USA. He is listed as 6' 230lbs. 

16 hours ago, Baron said:

Card seems to be an after thought these days. Ewers has the arm talent and composure to supplant Card. One thing I saw from Card during the spring game was happy feet that made him seem to hurry his throws.

Ewers has all the tools to win the job. I think Card is a guy that would need to sit a couple years because of his lack of reps. I think that’s where his happy feet comes from. Unfortunately for Card Texas isn’t going to be able to wait on him and he’s probably already been recruited over. Fall camp may be his last chance to prove himself because if Ewers is even then he’s the guy imo. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I think Card will soon be the odd man out ....

I don’t disagree and I think it’s his lack of live reps that hurts him. He has the arm talent in 7-7 he can make every throw and looks great but you throw a pass rush at him and his footwork suffers. 

On 6/24/2022 at 8:14 AM, WETSU said:

No, Haynes is not some superhero. He probably doesn’t even win the job this year. He’s always had holes in his game, he just fits what Jimbo likes to do is the only reason I liked the kid. But he too is likely not going to play much ball. It’s going to be max Johnson until Weigman is ready I think. 

If I was a betting man I would think King ends up behind center playing for UTSA. 

On 6/24/2022 at 8:14 AM, WETSU said:

If I was a betting man I would think King ends up behind center playing for UTSA. 

• Mr. P locked this topic