Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

On 6/24/2022 at 8:14 AM, WETSU said:

No, Haynes is not some superhero. He probably doesn’t even win the job this year. He’s always had holes in his game, he just fits what Jimbo likes to do is the only reason I liked the kid. But he too is likely not going to play much ball. It’s going to be max Johnson until Weigman is ready I think. 

If I was a betting man I believe King ends up under center at UTSA with Traylor. 

I like that Texas is pushing for early commits from the guys that are jumping in. This season is going to be huge for this staff and they have to win. They should be able to put more focus on the football season and recruit the bigger fish from this cycle that are waiting until December to decide. 

Pay them, bribe them, legitimately recruit them, whatever it takes these days.  Of course these are only committments right now of high school stars of unproven collegiate talent.  Some may not sign.  Some will.  Some will stay.  Some will go.  Some will become college stars.  Others will not.  A select few will make it to the NFL.  Most will not.

While the recruiting is making news I am holding out for the good news of these kids stringing a bunch of wins together. Win or lose will still be a Horns supporter.  Still holding out hope for a good season. 

• Like 3

On 6/24/2022 at 9:51 AM, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

Rumor from GoMeanGreen.com is that our best LB KD Davis is heading to UT via the transfer portal. He just entered the portal yesterday. 

Not sure what happened, but that's a big loss for us. He is a little undersized, but he flys around the football field. 

He pulled his name out of the portal and is returning to UNT. I think he was worried about the waiver since its past May 1st. The NCAA would have to approve it. 

Oh well, looks like Sark is recruiting really well for UT this year. I hope they improve to make things interesting again.

17 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Still holding out hope for a good season. 

All I know is....

Bijan, Worthy, Whittington, Nayor and Sanders?

ALOT to defend.

Honestly, the good guys could shock the world IF and only IF:

1. Trench play improves

2. We finish games

3. Ewers remains QB1, not Card

I feel pretty good about everything else. 

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

All I know is....

Bijan, Worthy, Whittington, Nayor and Sanders?

ALOT to defend.

Honestly, the good guys could shock the world IF and only IF:

1. Trench play improves

2. We finish games

3. Ewers remains QB1, not Card

I feel pretty good about everything else. 

Texas ALWAYS has had more “talent” than everyone but OU. It’s not like they just all of the sudden got talent they didn’t have before.  

I’ll be convinced Sark can actually do something no coach since Mack has been able to do with the “talent” they bring in when he goes above .500 and doesn’t lose to Kansas. Right now these are just names on paper that look good, but there’s been names on paper for a decade yet the wins didn’t follow. 

11 hours ago, WETSU said:

Texas ALWAYS has had more “talent” than everyone but OU. It’s not like they just all of the sudden got talent they didn’t have before.  

I’ll be convinced Sark can actually do something no coach since Mack has been able to do with the “talent” they bring in when he goes above .500 and doesn’t lose to Kansas. Right now these are just names on paper that look good, but there’s been names on paper for a decade yet the wins didn’t follow. 

I hear this all the time, and as someone who has followed this program in depth the past 15 years, I can tell you what's different about what's been happening the past few days or even months than the previous decade. It's actually painfully obvious.

Texas hasn't had this type of talent at the QB position since 2010. And look, jury's still out on Ewers and Arch, I know, but allow me to explain. Texas has failed in 1. the evaluation and 2. the development of the qb position the past 10 years. We see talented players bust all the time, but Texas has consistently failed at evaluating and developing talent, especially at this position. We've had Case McCoy, David Ash, Jerrod Heard, Tyrone Swoopes (TE now) and Sam. And as much as I love Sam, he didn't have near the upside talent wise as Ewers or Arch. So while I agree that Texas has always gotten the talent at other positions, the key here is that previous coaches has failed at evaluating and developing said talent at that specific position over a 10 year period. So saying "It’s not like they just all of the sudden got talent they didn’t have before." I would argue that's not exactly true. WR? yes. DB? yes. RB? yes. Not at quarterback. and I believe this is where Sarks past success in that room makes people more optimistic. He's brought in talent at the QB position we haven't seen in 10-11 years, and he has had a track record of being able to actually develop that talent. But like you and everyone else, I won't predict anything or believe anything until I see it on the field. Period.

22 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I hear this all the time, and as someone who has followed this program in depth the past 15 years, I can tell you what's different about what's been happening the past few days or even months than the previous decade. It's actually painfully obvious.

Texas hasn't had this type of talent at the QB position since 2010. And look, jury's still out on Ewers and Arch, I know, but allow me to explain. Texas has failed in 1. the evaluation and 2. the development of the qb position the past 10 years. We see talented players bust all the time, but Texas has consistently failed at evaluating and developing talent, especially at this position. We've had Case McCoy, David Ash, Jerrod Heard, Tyrone Swoopes (TE now) and Sam. And as much as I love Sam, he didn't have near the upside talent wise as Ewers or Arch. So while I agree that Texas has always gotten the talent at other positions, the key here is that previous coaches has failed at evaluating and developing said talent at that specific position over a 10 year period. So saying "It’s not like they just all of the sudden got talent they didn’t have before." I would argue that's not exactly true. WR? yes. DB? yes. RB? yes. Not at quarterback. and I believe this is where Sarks past success in that room makes people more optimistic. He's brought in talent at the QB position we haven't seen in 10-11 years, and he has had a track record of being able to actually develop that talent. But like you and everyone else, I won't predict anything or believe anything until I see it on the field. Period.

Texas has had at least 2 high 4 star or better QBs in the qb room yearly since Mack. Ewers hasn’t proved anything and Manning isn’t even signed yet. It’s not like Texas has proven guys where it didn’t before. 

Im just saying to be cautious which sounds like you are. 

I’m still not convinced Sark didn’t just inherit a loaded roster at Bama from Saban/Kiffin, slap his name on it for two years and then get the big job offer based on those results. 

My point is we haven’t seen Sark recruit and develop elite talent in the way you’re implying. He didn’t recruit or completely develop the two big names you’re giving him credit for. 

50 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Texas has had at least 2 high 4 star or better QBs in the qb room yearly since Mack. Ewers hasn’t proved anything and Manning isn’t even signed yet. It’s not like Texas has proven guys where it didn’t before. 

Im just saying to be cautious which sounds like you are. 

The highest rated qb Texas has had since 2011, outside of Hudson Card who is currently on the roster, was Jerrod Heard. Which goes back to my initial point from previous coaching staffs. Couldn't evaluate or develop talent. Heard wasn't a qb, he was an athlete. This is the same coaching staff that overlooked JT Barrett because they were committed to Tyrone Swoopes...

I'm not saying Sark is going to be the savior, but he's done something Strong, Herman, or even Mack in his last 2 seasons couldn't do. And that's get one elite, high profile QB coming out of HS. He now has 2. Not saying Ewers is going to be a Heisman trophy winner, or Arch is going to be Peyton or Eli, I'm just saying I'll give Sark credit for pulling that. Texas fans haven't been truly optimistic about the qb position since Colt. Getting both of those guys is pretty impressive and warrants some excitement if you ask me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

The highest rated qb Texas has had since 2011, outside of Hudson Card who is currently on the roster, was Jerrod Heard. Which goes back to my initial point from previous coaching staffs. Couldn't evaluate or develop talent. Heard wasn't a qb, he was an athlete. This is the same coaching staff that overlooked JT Barrett because they were committed to Tyrone Swoopes...

I'm not saying Sark is going to be the savior, but he's done something Strong, Herman, or even Mack in his last 2 seasons couldn't do. And that's get one elite, high profile QB coming out of HS. He now has 2. Not saying Ewers is going to be a Heisman trophy winner, or Arch is going to be Peyton or Eli, I'm just saying I'll give Sark credit for pulling that. Texas fans haven't been truly optimistic about the qb position since Colt. Getting both of those guys is pretty impressive and warrants some excitement if you ask me. 

Oh I agree it something to be excited about. My comments probably came across too strong as you are very level headed about this. My comments are more directed at the Texas fans online and the media acting like Texas is on the brink of a dynasty. I just have seen this play out after nearly every win vs a even a fringe decent team for the last decade and am taking a more wait and see approach. 

Side note, I think that’s why Texas gets so much hate. The media cannot wait to anoint them every chance they get. It’s pretty much USC, Texas and ND that are the media darlings. Others get hype but they have earned it through their recent play (Bama, OU, Clemson, Ohio st etc.) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Oh I agree it something to be excited about. My comments probably came across too strong as you are very level headed about this. My comments are more directed at the Texas fans online and the media acting like Texas is on the brink of a dynasty. I just have seen this play out after nearly every win vs a even a fringe decent team for the last decade and am taking a more wait and see approach. 

Side note, I think that’s why Texas gets so much hate. The media cannot wait to anoint them every chance they get. It’s pretty much USC, Texas and ND that are the media darlings. Others get hype but they have earned it through their recent play (Bama, OU, Clemson, Ohio st etc.) 

100% with you on that. I like to think most real fans know reality, but I question that every time I scroll through twitter for 5 seconds.

And the "Texas is back" comments by ESPN and Fox after the Arch commitment drives me absolutely nuts. STOP DOING THIS TO US. We don't even want to hear that crap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

100% with you on that. I like to think most real fans know reality, but I question that every time I scroll through twitter for 5 seconds.

And the "Texas is back" comments by ESPN and Fox after the Arch commitment drives me absolutely nuts. STOP DOING THIS TO US. We don't even want to hear that crap.

"Texas is back" should read "Is Texas back".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It’s pretty much USC, Texas and ND that are the media darlings. Others get hype but they have earned it through their recent play (Bama, OU, Clemson, Ohio st etc.) 

That's laughable! .... You got 2 out of 3 right .... The exact opposite is true of Texas .... Most of the broadcast media hates Texas .....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

That's laughable! .... You got 2 out of 3 right .... The exact opposite is true of Texas .... Most of the broadcast media hates Texas .....

You’ve got to be joking…. 

Most of the sports media world wants Texas to get back on top so bad it hurts us in a way - just like ND. Our players tend to get relaxed and complacent when they continuously hear how good they are or can/will be. Likewise, we get blasted when we lose a game we should not have lost - regardless of sport. I do get a positive feeling of what is currently being done in workouts, but if we come out and lay a huge egg against Alabama we could be in trouble. That will tell the tale of our future - how we react to a good old fashion butt whooping. Now if keep it close and respectable, I think we continue to move forward knowing we are close. If we pull off the upset - ALL GAS, NO BRAKES! These guys will be fighting to get to the next practice or workout.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Serious as a heart attack ....

So the media that gave Texas its own channel, the media that even Texas fans in this thread admit can’t wait to say “Texas is back” is against Texas? 

I’d be shocked if you found even one other Texas fan on this site that thinks Texas gets “hate” from the media…

• LOL! 1

• Mr. P locked this topic