Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

16 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Most of the sports media world wants Texas to get back on top so bad it hurts us in a way - just like ND. Our players tend to get relaxed and complacent when they continuously hear how good they are or can/will be. Likewise, we get blasted when we lose a game we should not have lost - regardless of sport. I do get a positive feeling of what is currently being done in workouts, but if we come out and lay a huge egg against Alabama we could be in trouble. That will tell the tale of our future - how we react to a good old fashion butt whooping. Now if keep it close and respectable, I think we continue to move forward knowing we are close. If we pull off the upset - ALL GAS, NO BRAKES! These guys will be fighting to get to the next practice or workout.

I too think the Bama game could be a big deal for this team. If Texas loses by 17+ in a game that’s not as close as the final score then I think sark is done. The team will fold (they have already shown they will) and the fan base will quickly start calling for Sarks head because as you said, the media has created unrealistic expectations for the casual fan. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I too think the Bama game could be a big deal for this team. If Texas loses by 17+ in a game that’s not as close as the final score then I think sark is done. The team will fold (they have already shown they will) and the fan base will quickly start calling for Sarks head because as you said, the media has created unrealistic expectations for the casual fan. 

For me, there’s too many factors at play to be able to agree with this, right now.

I do agree the team folded last year. I also believe a lot of that was in large part because of the QB. I believe the team followed his lead. IF Ewers is the competitor they say he is, I’m not sure you see that this year. 
A couple weeks ago, I would’ve agreed with your assessment on Sark. With Manning’s commitment, I’m not sure they’d be willing to take the chance to lose him, so I think his commitment saved Sark for another year, if things go bad. 

4 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

For me, there’s too many factors at play to be able to agree with this, right now.

I do agree the team folded last year. I also believe a lot of that was in large part because of the QB. I believe the team followed his lead. IF Ewers is the competitor they say he is, I’m not sure you see that this year. 
A couple weeks ago, I would’ve agreed with your assessment on Sark. With Manning’s commitment, I’m not sure they’d be willing to take the chance to lose him, so I think his commitment saved Sark for another year, if things go bad. 

I agree with the second part, although I think Sark needs 8-9 win season to keep Manning. I don’t think they can have another .500 type season and keep him committed. That’s just my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Recruiting is a lot of fun when things are going good. It’s been a fun week for Texas. 

Most definitely. Been fun to hear about someone knew every day. A little taste of what yall just went through lol

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

One game in year 2 should not decide the future of a coach.  Progress should.  If they go 5-7 in year 2, show him the door.  I wasn’t big on the sark hire, but I’m willing to give him time to get it going

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

One game in year 2 should not decide the future of a coach.  Progress should.  If they go 5-7 in year 2, show him the door.  I wasn’t big on the sark hire, but I’m willing to give him time to get it going

It’s not the one game, it will be what happened last season factored in. The meltdown of the second half of last year cannot be understated. It was the type of ugly that some new coaches never get fully washed off and are shown the door on year 3… 

The reason I say the Bama game is crucial because Texas cannot afford to get embarrassed that week and then lay down the rest of the year like they did last year. And to be fair the hopes of Sarks career are riding on a kid that has two college snaps under his belt being worth the hype or else he this could be another .500 type season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It’s not the one game, it will be what happened last season factored in. The meltdown of the second half of last year cannot be understated. It was the type of ugly that some new coaches never get fully washed off and are shown the door on year 3… 

The reason I say the Bama game is crucial because Texas cannot afford to get embarrassed that week and then lay down the rest of the year like they did last year. And to be fair the hopes of Sarks career are riding on a kid that has two college snaps under his belt being worth the hype or else he this could be another .500 type season. 

To get started, I wasn’t happy with the sark hire.  Year 1 on any new coach is not going to make any say in their time at new place.  Saban lost to ULM.  Should they have fired him?

my biggest issue last year with Sark was this.  While you could see what his vision was fit the team (at least offensively), he didn’t have the OL to accomplish it.  He kept leaning on them trying to follow his plan.  He never deviated from what he wanted to do, and did what he needed to do.  Now, this year, if the same issue keeps arising, I’ll say he prolly lacks the brains to adjust.

this year,  One blowout won’t define the season imo.  However if you see the same issue of blowing leads in the 4th and they lose games they shouldn’t, then question whether he’s the right guy.  It takes 4 years minimum to change the OL room.  You should see improvement in year 2.  

im excited at the fact that he and his staff have brought in good talent in areas of need.  I want to see improvement.  I also want to see in game adjustments.  

25 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I understand that, but there was a reason why Bo Davis went ape #### on that bus. If you ask me, the players that gave up on their teammates and eventually left the program were Herman guys, and that was a reflection of the stench Herman left as his time as HC. If it took 5-7 and a loss to Kansas to get rid of guys who have soft and weak mindsets, I'll take that.

5 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I understand that, but there was a reason why Bo Davis went ape #### on that bus. If you ask me, the players that gave up on their teammates and eventually left the program were Herman guys, and that was a reflection of the stench Herman left as his time as HC. If it took 5-7 and a loss to Kansas to get rid of guys who have soft and weak mindsets, I'll take that.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I’ve heard 3 straight staffs get a pass on year 1 because they were “getting out the soft players from the staff before” just to all 3 be on the hot seat by end of year 2 and fired by year 4 for the same problems they were facing when they took over…. Im going to assume that’s the Texas Longhorns default setting until proven otherwise. Lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

To get started, I wasn’t happy with the sark hire.  Year 1 on any new coach is not going to make any say in their time at new place.  Saban lost to ULM.  Should they have fired him?

my biggest issue last year with Sark was this.  While you could see what his vision was fit the team (at least offensively), he didn’t have the OL to accomplish it.  He kept leaning on them trying to follow his plan.  He never deviated from what he wanted to do, and did what he needed to do.  Now, this year, if the same issue keeps arising, I’ll say he prolly lacks the brains to adjust.

this year,  One blowout won’t define the season imo.  However if you see the same issue of blowing leads in the 4th and they lose games they shouldn’t, then question whether he’s the right guy.  It takes 4 years minimum to change the OL room.  You should see improvement in year 2.  

im excited at the fact that he and his staff have brought in good talent in areas of need.  I want to see improvement.  I also want to see in game adjustments.  

Hey, ULM made a bowl that year lol. I do not think Sark should be fired yet by any means. I’m just saying his margin for error is razor thin this year. To put into perspective, the guy and team you just referenced when 12-0 regular season the following year. If Sark wants to keep building momentum he can’t afford 4 years for his oline to develop. Like you said he has to adjust, field a defense would be nice, and get 8-9 wins this year. If they don’t have the talent to go 8-4 with that schedule then it might not happen for some time. 

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Hey, ULM made a bowl that year lol. I do not think Sark should be fired yet by any means. I’m just saying his margin for error is razor thin this year. To put into perspective, the guy and team you just referenced when 12-0 regular season the following year. If Sark wants to keep building momentum he can’t afford 4 years for his oline to develop. Like you said he has to adjust, field a defense would be nice, and get 8-9 wins this year. If they don’t have the talent to go 8-4 with that schedule then it might not happen for some time. 

7 point loss to OU

8 point loss to Ok State

7 point loss to Baylor

8 point loss to West Virginia

texas led in all 4 games with a piss poor OL.  They couldn’t finish off a game .  Yes the OL couldn’t be used to run out the lock, and the coach kept pushing it.  You’re very close to 9-3 with just avg OL play.

aTm beats Bama with a terrible qb that had the game of his life, like out of body experience….  And the Aggy talks trash.  Lol, I love it.  It’s always great when the Aggy gives his insight. It’s almost like reading texags.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

7 point loss to OU

8 point loss to Ok State

7 point loss to Baylor

8 point loss to West Virginia

texas led in all 4 games with a piss poor OL.  They couldn’t finish off a game .  Yes the OL couldn’t be used to run out the lock, and the coach kept pushing it.  You’re very close to 9-3 with just avg OL play.

aTm beats Bama with a terrible qb that had the game of his life, like out of body experience….  And the Aggy talks trash.  Lol, I love it.  It’s always great when the Aggy gives his insight. It’s almost like reading texags.  

Who’s talking trash? Im simply saying Sark has been an average HC everywhere he has been and nothing he did in year one at Texas makes me think anything has changed. Texas has proven for a decade a talent advantage for them doesn’t mean anything either. So all im saying is Sark is in wait and see mode as far as im concerned. 

21 hours ago, WETSU said:

Texas ALWAYS has had more “talent” than everyone but OU. It’s not like they just all of the sudden got talent they didn’t have before.  

False. That's the biggest casual narrative about Texas out there.

We have not had a core of that magnitude in some time. 

6 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

The highest rated qb Texas has had since 2011, outside of Hudson Card who is currently on the roster, was Jerrod Heard. Which goes back to my initial point from previous coaching staffs. Couldn't evaluate or develop talent. Heard wasn't a qb, he was an athlete. This is the same coaching staff that overlooked JT Barrett because they were committed to Tyrone Swoopes...

I'm not saying Sark is going to be the savior, but he's done something Strong, Herman, or even Mack in his last 2 seasons couldn't do. And that's get one elite, high profile QB coming out of HS. He now has 2. Not saying Ewers is going to be a Heisman trophy winner, or Arch is going to be Peyton or Eli, I'm just saying I'll give Sark credit for pulling that. Texas fans haven't been truly optimistic about the qb position since Colt. Getting both of those guys is pretty impressive and warrants some excitement if you ask me. 

A lot of the "talent" that Texas was bringing during that stretch was what I call...camp athletes. 

Tyrone Swoopes was never 5* talent in my eyes. And Heard...he was a Denton Guyer bred QB. Automatic red flag. 

Similar to Ohio State, you can never trust a QB out of Guyer.

Ask the Aggie how Eli Stowers is doing...

28 minutes ago, ANTI said:

A lot of the "talent" that Texas was bringing during that stretch was what I call...camp athletes. 

That's honestly what I've liked about Sark's recruiting classes so far.

Majority of these guys don't simply come across as looking good in shorts and a shirt....they are monsters in pads and the production + W/L column shows it.

For instance, Anthony Hill?! Landing him would automatically change the defense. He's no camp athlete, he's a state champ. 6'2 230 specimen that ran in the state track meet. Career tackle record holder at Denton Ryan....the dude is a baller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Tyrone Swoopes was never 5* talent in my eyes. And Heard...he was a Denton Guyer bred QB. Automatic red flag. 

Similar to Ohio State, you can never trust a QB out of Guyer.

Ask the Aggie how Eli Stowers is doing...

So recruiting rankings don’t matter? As a team Texas out recruited everyone but OU in the big 12 by a large margin. It’s not even close. So either the rankings are adjusted to prop up Texas commits for clicks, or Texas has done it hat I said and underperformed with the talent they had. 

45 minutes ago, ANTI said:

That's honestly what I've liked about Sark's recruiting classes so far.

Majority of these guys don't simply come across as looking good in shorts and a shirt....they are monsters in pads and the production + W/L column shows it.

For instance, Anthony Hill?! Landing him would automatically change the defense. He's no camp athlete, he's a state champ. 6'2 230 specimen that ran in the state track meet. Career tackle record holder at Denton Ryan....the dude is a baller.

I bet Anthony Hill looks pretty good at a camp lol.

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Who’s talking trash? Im simply saying Sark has been an average HC everywhere he has been and nothing he did in year one at Texas makes me think anything has changed. Texas has proven for a decade a talent advantage for them doesn’t mean anything either. So all im saying is Sark is in wait and see mode as far as im concerned. 

Saying he’ll be fired in year 2 is pure stupidity. Everybody says wait and see mode, but you are here talking about talent advantages….  Lol.

Texas has lacked talent in the trenches for a while.  The last good LB they had was Jordan Hicks.  Malik Jefferson never developed.  
yes, you’re talking trash. As usual

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, WETSU said:

So recruiting rankings don’t matter? As a team Texas out recruited everyone but OU in the big 12 by a large margin. It’s not even close. So either the rankings are adjusted to prop up Texas commits for clicks, or Texas has done it hat I said and underperformed with the talent they had. 

Hold on, Aggies have always talked about the Texas bump with recruits.  Either they’re inflated ratings or not?  

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic