Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

26 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Tyrone Swoopes was a 5*.

I use my eyes, not rankings to determine talent level. 

Some of the recruiting analysts never even played sports.  I know one personally that never played a lick of football, but a national recruiting site pays him a salary to analyze players and rank them.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Saying he’ll be fired in year 2 is pure stupidity. Everybody says wait and see mode, but you are here talking about talent advantages….  Lol.

Texas has lacked talent in the trenches for a while.  The last good LB they had was Jordan Hicks.  Malik Jefferson never developed.  
yes, you’re talking trash. As usual

According to rankings comparable to the teams they play, the narrative that there is a lack of talent is false. You say lack of talent in the trenches. The teams you play have been kicking your tails with lower ranked talent for nearly 15 years. Either your program sucks or the recruiting rankings are inflated to fit your entitled fanbase. But it can only be one or the other. Because according to recruiting rankings Texas IS more talented than the likes of their counterparts except OU. So either accept your program hasn’t developed talent for a decade or admit the rankings have been skewed in your favor. 

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

According to rankings comparable to the teams they play, the narrative that there is a lack of talent is false. You say lack of talent in the trenches. The teams you play have been kicking your tails with lower ranked talent for nearly 15 years. Either your program sucks or the recruiting rankings are inflated to fit your entitled fanbase. But it can only be one or the other. Because according to recruiting rankings Texas IS more talented than the likes of their counterparts except OU. So either accept your program hasn’t developed talent for a decade or admit the rankings have been skewed in your favor. 

The people screaming about inflated rankings for Texas have been Aggies.  Have been for years.  So is it a talent discrepancy or inflated rankings?  I’m asking you?  Be careful how you answer because I’m bookmarking your response for future arguments.  

• Like 1

Aggies don’t want to talk about their past because it doesn’t have any bearing on the now and future….but the aggy is predicting Texas’ future based off of one’s past.  

nick Saban was 34-24 with 3 different 6 win seasons at Michigan State.  I bet lsu and Bama are glad they didn’t disregard him because of his past.  Is Sark the next Saban?  Probably not?  Does he deserve a chance to prove he’s learned from his mistakes and grown as a coach?  Sure.  Can you be skeptical of him?  Absolutely!!!  I sure am.  Can you guarantee what he will do moving forward based off of his past????  Nope.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:15 PM, ANTI said:

All I know is....

Bijan, Worthy, Whittington, Nayor and Sanders?

ALOT to defend.

Honestly, the good guys could shock the world IF and only IF:

1. Trench play improves

2. We finish games

3. Ewers remains QB1, not Card

I feel pretty good about everything else. 

I feel good about the Offense as well, but not sure how you feel good about the Defense. Hope you are right 

41 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The people screaming about inflated rankings for Texas have been Aggies.  Have been for years.  So is it a talent discrepancy or inflated rankings?  I’m asking you?  Be careful how you answer because I’m bookmarking your response for future arguments.  

The answer is Texas culture. 3 different HCs now struggle with the mostly the same issues despite recruiting top 10 classes regularly going against teams averaging outside the top 25.  Texas gets talented players, they do not develop them well enough. And I’m not talking about just gaining size or learning technique. There is no killer instinct at Texas. Even with Sam who I think was the closest thing we will see to a Tebow in terms of his passion and leadership, they could not develop that fighter mentality needed to win. 

Short answer. Texas is talented. There has been the occasional kid propped up in the rankings but mostly is a developmental problem not a recruiting problem. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

I feel good about the Offense as well, but not sure how you feel good about the Defense. Hope you are right 

Yes, the defensive line must step up. We must get better in the trenches...then that allows guys in the 2nd level like Overshown to thrive. 

Secondary, wish we ran a 4-2-5 because I believe Kitan Crawford needs to be on the field. I like other pieces in the secondary but if Crawford saw more time...would only make us stronger. 

38 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Aggies don’t want to talk about their past because it doesn’t have any bearing on the now and future….but the aggy is predicting Texas’ future based off of one’s past.  

nick Saban was 34-24 with 3 different 6 win seasons at Michigan State.  I bet lsu and Bama are glad they didn’t disregard him because of his past.  Is Sark the next Saban?  Probably not?  Does he deserve a chance to prove he’s learned from his mistakes and grown as a coach?  Sure.  Can you be skeptical of him?  Absolutely!!!  I sure am.  Can you guarantee what he will do moving forward based off of his past????  Nope.

Do you understand what you’re arguing here? First off, A&M has nothing to do with this conversation at all. Just because I’m an Aggie doesn’t make my statements any less correct.  Secondly, I never said Sark was automatically going to fail because of his past. I said he hasn’t been great in his past so he needs this year to be successful because he won’t have the long leash of someone who has proven they are that good. He could very well have a great run this year and lead Texas to a decade of success. Or he could lose to Bama by 30, spiral another season and finish 6-6 while being replaced after his first loss of year 3. I don’t know which one he’s going to do or maybe neither of them at all. I just stated I thought a good showing against Bama will help his cause a lot more than getting blown out. If you disagree that’s fine. 

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

According to rankings 

Hudson Card was a 4*

Charlie Brewer was a 3*

If you watched any lick of football below the college level, you'd know Brewer was twice the QB Card was in HS....and Lake Travis fans will tell you that.

Baylor ended up with the better QB. 

Rankings are a lazy way of determining talent level. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Hudson Card was a 4*

Charlie Brewer was a 3*

If you watched any lick of football below the college level, you'd know Brewer was twice the QB Card was in HS....and Lake Travis fans will tell you that.

Baylor ended up with the better QB. 

Rankings are a lazy way of determining talent level. 

On a player per player basis, yes you can find irregularities. On a team by team basis though that is not the case. There has only been one team in the championship game football era (1998-present) that won a title and averaged worse than a top 5 class when combining the teams classes currently on the roster. Auburn is the only team to do it and that came with Cam Newton. Every other championship winner in that span had an average top 5 class or better. Rankings matter. You have to recruit well. 

My argument is not that Texas has title level talent. They don’t. They are not as talented as Bama or Ohio st or Georgia. But they are and have been more talented than the big 12 teams except OU. Yes you can find a couple of players here and there that don’t live up to their rankings, but when you have 25 kids signing that are ranked a top 10 class and then you get beat by 5 teams in conference who also signed 25 kids but their average ranking isn’t even in the top 25, you have a developmental problem not a recruiting problem. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

you have a developmental problem not a recruiting problem. 

Wrong.

And no matter how many times you keep saying it, it'll continue to be wrong.

Sorry.

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

On a player per player basis, yes you can find irregularities. On a team by team basis though that is not the case. There has only been one team in the championship game football era (1998-present) that won a title and averaged worse than a top 5 class when combining the teams classes currently on the roster. Auburn is the only team to do it and that came with Cam Newton. Every other championship winner in that span had an average top 5 class or better. Rankings matter. You have to recruit well. 

Rankings do matter, IF you are getting guys that are truly ranked where they are supposed to be. 

Texas hasn't been lucky in that department.

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Wrong.

And no matter how many times you keep saying it, it'll continue to be wrong.

Sorry.

Hey I’ve enjoyed your program being the most disappointing program in college football the last 15 years. I hope that the administration and coaches have the same mentality as you. Because this will last another 15 years if they think like you. 

• Love 1

Just now, ANTI said:

Rankings do matter, IF you are getting guys that are truly ranked where they are supposed to be. 

So your argument is Texas players are over ranked because of who they committed to? 

There’s no way they “miss” on that many players over the last 15 years. 

17 minutes ago, WETSU said:

My argument is not that Texas has title level talent. They don’t. They are not as talented as Bama or Ohio st or Georgia. But they are and have been more talented than the big 12 teams except OU. Yes you can find a couple of players here and there that don’t live up to their rankings, but when you have 25 kids signing that are ranked a top 10 class and then you get beat by 5 teams in conference who also signed 25 kids but their average ranking isn’t even in the top 25, you have a developmental problem not a recruiting problem. 

I agree with this post.

7 minutes ago, ANTI said:

This is true too.  Texas has had fairly high ranked classes for years, while also having quite a few of those high ranked players be swings and misses.

3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

There’s no way they “miss” on that many players over the last 15 years. 

They've missed on quite a few.

Ja'Quinden Jackson had holes in his game long before he showed up to Texas. Heard was the same way. 

That's what I have liked about Sark's classes so far...he is getting guys that check the boxes. Especially this '23 class.

In my opinion, he has earned the right to stay at Texas for at least another 5 years based on recruiting alone. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WETSU said:

That Cam Newton championship… didn’t that also come with a miracle to beat Alabama?  Was that the “kick 6” year?

14 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Hey I’ve enjoyed your program being the most disappointing program in college football the last 15 years. 

That's cool. Do you want a cookie?

Why do you waste time in a thread of a program that you hate so much? You won't ever catch me in anything A&M related, that's for sure.

Also, the last 15 years...Texas has been in a natty game. Foreign language to Aggy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

This is true too.  Texas has had fairly high ranked classes for years, while also having quite a few of those high ranked players be swings and misses.

The Longhorns seem to strike out more than Joey Gallo…

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Texas has had fairly high ranked classes for years

Also, don't let WETSU lie to you.

Out of the last 14 recruiting classes, Texas has had top 5 classes 6 times, and 2 of those times have been under Sark. 

Texas even had a class ranked as low as 25, which was the Sam Ehlinger class. And several others that were in the 16-17 range. 

Narratives man. 😆 

30 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The Longhorns seem to strike out more than Joey Gallo…

That many strikeouts seems more like a developmental problem than a recruiting problem. I don’t understand how this doesn’t make sense…. 

39 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

This is what I read in every post you type……

Hearem or lobo could get in here and say the exact same things I’m saying and everyone agrees or at the very least doesn’t have a strong enough argument to go against it. The minute an Aggie says something you rage against it. 

Why are you incapable of having a discussion about Texas without dragging A&M into it or acknowledging that just because another fan says something doesn’t make it not true…

• Mr. P locked this topic