Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

I'm not saying that there hasn't been some poor development, but most of it...poor recruiting. 

As much as I love this '23 class, there are even 2-3 guys in the class that I'm skeptical about. 

Like Jonah Wilson for instance. 4* WR. He put up 470 yards last season as a wideout. Played some QB. But bottom line is, he hasn't shown 4* production. Also unsure of how great his route tree is....but because the website says so...I'm supposed to automatically believe that he is solid 4* talent. 

Sure.

Now if he doesn't pan out in college, Texas gets blamed for poor development.

Well, yes… they will get blamed for that.  They thought he was worthy of a full scholarship.  Maybe we shouldn’t say development as much, because evaluation comes into play as well.  A 4* that comes in and shows 2* ability, may only ever develop into a 3* player, which wouldn’t even see the field at most universities.  But if you see the stars and recruit the stars and give the stars a full ride, fans will expect something to eventually come out of it.  

And I don’t totally disagree with you.  When I watched Texas the past few years, they reminded me a ton of the 90s-00s Aggie teams.  You can see talent, but it is like 3-4 players on each side of the ball trying to pick up slack and hide deficiencies of the other 7-8 teammates.  

Ehlinger hid so many issues on the Texas offense that it almost made him look like a liability himself.  Loved the guy, loved the heart.  He was my current day Tebow (as a player)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Why were those classes so badly ranked?  Maybe because the top 10 recruiting classes prior to the bad didn’t develop properly and lost?  

Look, I am never looking to agree with an Aggie, but the rise and fall with the development of Texas football has been equally fascinating and pathetic as the Depp/Heard Trial

Dagger to our Longhorn hearts!!! 

😪

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Well, yes… they will get blamed for that.  They thought he was worthy of a full scholarship.  Maybe we shouldn’t say development as much, because evaluation comes into play as well.  A 4* that comes in and shows 2* ability, may only ever develop into a 3* player, which wouldn’t even see the field at most universities.  But if you see the stars and recruit the stars and give the stars a full ride, fans will expect something to eventually come out of it.  

And I don’t totally disagree with you.  When I watched Texas the past few years, they reminded me a ton of the 90s-00s Aggie teams.  You can see talent, but it is like 3-4 players on each side of the ball trying to pick up slack and hide deficiencies of the other 7-8 teammates.  

Ehlinger hid so many issues on the Texas offense that it almost made him look like a liability himself.  Loved the guy, loved the heart.  He was my current day Tebow (as a player)

Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay hid Ehlingers flaws.  After they left we saw he couldn’t hit a receiver in stride to save his life.  He may have been born to be QB at Texas, but his talent wasn’t worthy of it.  He was a missed evaluation.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay hid Ehlingers flaws.  After they left we saw he couldn’t hit a receiver in stride to save his life.  He may have been born to be QB at Texas, but his talent wasn’t worthy of it.  He was a missed evaluation.  

The Ehlinger years were wasted years .... he was never going to take them very far ....

8 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Took them to the best season they have in the last decade. 

Yes, but that's not saying much ... his style of play and mediocre passing ability was never going to be enough to compete for a national championship ...

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

Yes, but that's not saying much ... his style of play and mediocre passing ability was never going to be enough to compete for a national championship ...

He was Tim Tebow at Florida without all of the NFL talent.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

He can thank Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay for that.  Those guys made him look a lot better than what he was

Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby made Colt McCoy look better than he was. 

You can do that with any QB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You really think Sam and Colt are close in talent?

I think Colt McCoy is extremely overrated in the minds of Texas fans. 

Colt’s teams underachieved for the talent they had too. He only had 1 Big 12 title with all that talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Not what I asked…..  do you think Sam and Colt were close in talent?

Colt’s teams underachieved for the talent they had too. He only had 1 Big 12 title with all that talent.

Sam was closer to Colt than Sam’s roster was to Colt’s roster.

47 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

He was fun to watch most games, but had his blunders and cost Texas numerous wins

He was also responsible for many of Texas’s wins, including the one over Georgia.

Continuing to knock Ehlinger is absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Sam was closer to Colt than Sam’s roster was to Colt’s roster.

Colts senior year…..name the RB and TE he played with, without googling it.  My guess is you can’t.  Most Texas fans prolly couldn’t because they were so insignificant.  After Shipley, who caught passes?  Colt won inspite of a lack of talent around him.  Sam caused losses. 

1 minute ago, Lobo97 said:

He was also responsible for many of Texas’s wins, including the one over Georgia.

Continuing to knock Ehlinger is absolutely ridiculous. 

Go back and watch some of the throws in that game.  Johnson and Duvernay, and don’t leave out Humphrey…. Won that game for him.  The Defense actually played lights out for 3-3/4 quarters too.  What happened after he lost those 3 guys?  We started seeing complete inaccuracy 

7 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Colts senior year…..name the RB and TE he played with, without googling it.  My guess is you can’t.  Most Texas fans prolly couldn’t because they were so insignificant.  After Shipley, who caught passes?  Colt won inspite of a lack of talent around him.  Sam caused losses. 

I can’t, but I am also not a Texas fan. 

I can name quite a few from his freshman, sophomore, and junior season who he still didn’t win the conference with.

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I can’t, but I am also not a Texas fan. 

I can name quite a few from his freshman, sophomore, and junior season who he still didn’t win the conference with.

But can you answer DB2's question? ... 😂

22 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

It was more about the defense he played with and the fact he only attempted about 4 passes 5+yards pass the LOS. 

Colt was a winner and deserves a lot of praise. But he was not a generational QB. He was a bus driver on a loaded roster. And before you guys get your panties in a wad there’s no shame in that. It’s not an insult to say that he was not the demigod you guys memorized him as.  I’d take a national title with him over all the spectacular Johnny moments and no trophies to speak of. 

• Mr. P locked this topic