Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

13 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

No,  no,  no! They're back for real this time! They landed a 5 star! 🤣

FYlkfeEXkAA5ZZm.jpeg

You’re right, the Longhorns have sucked since 2009.

Please revel in UT’s lack of success to the ninth degree, and us Longhorn fans will hold onto hope one day they can make college football fans like yourself eat a little crow.

We’ll see..

Football season is near, enjoy!

🤘🏻

1 minute ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

You’re right, the Longhorns have sucked since 2009.

Please revel in UT’s lack of success to the ninth degree, and us Longhorn fans will hold onto hope one day they can make college football fans like yourself eat a little crow.

We’ll see..

Football season is near, enjoy!

🤘🏻

At least you'll own it,  most of your burnt orange buddies have some serious denial issues

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

At least you'll own it,  most of your burnt orange buddies have some serious denial issues

It’s all fun, but I have been hugely disappointed over the years!!!

Ha

There’ve been so really high highs and REALLY low lows, cough Kansas, cough, cough……

image.png

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

That’s funny, most here on sdc have acknowledged the recent run of mediocrity.  Have we gotten excited over new coaches?  Big time recruits? Had our college football fan hearts broken?  Yes!!!!!  We’ve acknowledged it too.  

55 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

That’s funny, most here on sdc have acknowledged the recent run of mediocrity.  Have we gotten excited over new coaches?  Big time recruits? Had our college football fan hearts broken?  Yes!!!!!  We’ve acknowledged it too.  

Agreed! I was referring to the shorthorn fans I come in contact with in person.  

15 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’m ready to see if Texas has a quality OL and QB this year. 

I wonder what would be more beneficial for them in terms of wins, getting better play from those spots or improving the defense?

I do think you see better oline play. Not sold on better QB play just yet but getting better oline play may make QB better by default. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

The Longhorn defense is what has let everyone down the last decade and a half .... they haven’t been able to stop anyone ..... that's what needs the most improvement .....

Actually Strong's year one defense and Orlando year one had very good defenses and then went down the toilet.  Orlando could defend the pro-style, slow paced offense, but had no clue on tempo/spread.

I don't believe the defense was near as bad last year as everyone else seems to believe. Two things I've always said and believe when it comes to dominant defenses...

1) The front 7 is what makes your defense. A dominant front 7 can make an average secondary look like the best. A weak front 7 can make a great secondary look average. 

2) Even the best defenses can look suspect if they're on the field the entire time. 

I believe the Texas defense was a victim of #2 above many times last season. When the offense sustained drives in the first half, the defense was rested and did its job. It wasn't until the offense folded at halftime and kept the defense on the field in the second half before the defense folded. Case and point (first half stats)...

Arkansas - 1 TD. On two of the other 3 Arkansas drives, the Texas defense bent, but didn't break, holding Arkansas to FG's. 

OU - 2 TD's. One of those was to a QB they didn't game plan for. Riley simply made a great move changing QB's during this game. Had Rattler cont'd to play, I believe Texas wins. 

Ok State - Defense gave up 2 FG's. That's it. The other Ok State TD was a pick 6. 

Baylor - 1 TD. 

Iowa State - 1 TD.

By this point, I think the entire team had quit, led by the QB. 

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

I wonder what would be more beneficial for them in terms of wins, getting better play from those spots or improving the defense?

I do think you see better oline play. Not sold on better QB play just yet but getting better oline play may make QB better by default. 

Texas was a handful of stops last year from  8-4/9-3.  Very few games would I say Sark did a terrible job calling plays around a weak OL, and those were second half tank jobs.  I would say defense is top priority and OL a very close second.  Linebacker depth a tight 3rd

11 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Texas was a handful of stops last year from  8-4/9-3.  Very few games would I say Sark did a terrible job calling plays around a weak OL, and those were second half tank jobs.  I would say defense is top priority and OL a very close second.  Linebacker depth a tight 3rd

Defensive play and defensive coaching has to be the #1 concern .... they never seemed to be able to make adjustments and hold onto leads in the second half of games ....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Defensive play and defensive coaching has to be the #1 concern .... they never seemed to be able to make adjustments and hold onto leads in the second half of games ....

See my comment above. 

It's hard to ask the defense to continue to get stops when the offense continuously puts them back on the field. I'm not saying the defense was top notch last season, nor am I saying it doesn't need improvement. I'm simply saying that I don't believe the defense was as bad as most others portray. 

20 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

See my comment above. 

It's hard to ask the defense to continue to get stops when the offense continuously puts them back on the field. I'm not saying the defense was top notch last season, nor am I saying it doesn't need improvement. I'm simply saying that I don't believe the defense was as bad as most others portray. 

Things are never as good or as bad as they appear. The Texas team is a perfect example of that. Just watching them last year they could have easily been 8-4 if not better. They could also very realistically still be a 5 win team this year. The margins in this game are a lot closer than it appears. The difference in a win and a loss is almost always just 3-4 plays either way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

Things are never as good or as bad as they appear. The Texas team is a perfect example of that. Just watching them last year they could have easily been 8-4 if not better. They could also very realistically still be a 5 win team this year. The margins in this game are a lot closer than it appears. The difference in a win and a loss is almost always just 3-4 plays either way. 

For the first time since somewhere in the Mack area I feel like Texas has a head coach who can atleast see where the problem is and what the solution would be to help fix it. By no means am I jumping ahead and saying Sark is/isn’t the guy, but atleast he can recognize the issues and is trying to fix it. 

1) OL has been an issue for a while. Well he’s got about pretty good OL coach in and also has done a pretty bang up job recruiting the OL. 

2) Defense. In his media appearances he doesn’t skate around the fact that the defense has to improve. He’s starting to recruit defenders at all 3 levels and not just camp all stars in underwear. And oh yea he got one of the better defensive coaches of the last two decades to join his staff.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

For the first time since somewhere in the Mack area I feel like Texas has a head coach who can atleast see where the problem is and what the solution would be to help fix it. By no means am I jumping ahead and saying Sark is/isn’t the guy, but atleast he can recognize the issues and is trying to fix it. 

1) OL has been an issue for a while. Well he’s got about pretty good OL coach in and also has done a pretty bang up job recruiting the OL. 

2) Defense. In his media appearances he doesn’t skate around the fact that the defense has to improve. He’s starting to recruit defenders at all 3 levels and not just camp all stars in underwear. And oh yea he got one of the better defensive coaches of the last two decades to join his staff.

I don’t completely disagree with this. Sark has at least attempted to address some of the issues, but I don’t think it’s that his predecessors didn’t try they just couldn’t fix it. Maybe sark can or maybe he can’t actually fix the problems. He needs a couple of years to find out. And he’s going to be thrown right in the thick of the sec right about the time of put up or shut up. That first sec season will be make or break for him most likely. 

On 7/27/2022 at 10:16 AM, WETSU said:

Better oline play "may" also make the defense better by default..........possibly keeping the defense off the field more and fresher----really helps any defense without quality depth

At TCU, Gary Patterson seemed to find guys that needed a position change to become a better player........sometimes after getting to TCU to make the change, and sometimes from a high school position to a different position in college...........For those who keep up with the Horns more than I do in the offseason, did any on campus players make a position switch during the spring ?

• Mr. P locked this topic