Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

22 hours ago, WETSU said:

Things are never as good or as bad as they appear. The Texas team is a perfect example of that. Just watching them last year they could have easily been 8-4 if not better. They could also very realistically still be a 5 win team this year. The margins in this game are a lot closer than it appears. The difference in a win and a loss is almost always just 3-4 plays either way. 

This is so true. All the years I've watched game film late Friday night or early Saturday morning, it holds true that things are never as bad or as good as they seemed during the actual game. A defensive back could have almost flawless coverage and the ball is still caught for a long gain. A big run could be something as silly as the backside LB hitting a cleat of a DL and getting tripped up just enough to not be able to fill the hole. A good offensive drive ended because of a dropped ball by a WR that would catch 19/20 of the same ball. A WR/TE continuing a route rather than squatting in the hole of a zone like it was coached all week. These are the little things that can make a big difference and the reason to watch the game film with your players. It's not to berate players, it to learn.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, villagegenius said:

For the first time since somewhere in the Mack area I feel like Texas has a head coach who can atleast see where the problem is and what the solution would be to help fix it. By no means am I jumping ahead and saying Sark is/isn’t the guy, but atleast he can recognize the issues and is trying to fix it. 

1) OL has been an issue for a while. Well he’s got about pretty good OL coach in and also has done a pretty bang up job recruiting the OL. 

2) Defense. In his media appearances he doesn’t skate around the fact that the defense has to improve. He’s starting to recruit defenders at all 3 levels and not just camp all stars in underwear. And oh yea he got one of the better defensive coaches of the last two decades to join his staff.

🎯🎯

9 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

No way a&m is that high  ....

I didn’t gather the results. Tell that to the recruits. 
but there’s also no way Texas is a bigger brand than Alabama. Maybe 10 years ago but not today. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

I didn’t gather the results. Tell that to the recruits. 
but there’s also no way Texas is a bigger brand than Alabama. Maybe 10 years ago but not today. 

Texas is a top 5 brand, a&m isn’t nowhere near that ....

22 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Texas is a top 5 brand, a&m isn’t nowhere near that ....

You’re loving under a rock in 2004 if you think you can name 10 bigger brands than A&M. Post sec move and Johnny football, A&M absolutely is a top 10 brand at the moment. I’m not saying they are bigger than Texas, but they are certainly top 10. I’d have them around 8ish. They have the second largest network of living alumni and you can’t listen to a single podcast that isn’t talking about them constantly whether it be good or negative press surrounding their potential or the recruiting. The are absolutely a top 10 brand. 

• LOL! 2

46 minutes ago, WETSU said:

You’re loving under a rock in 2004 if you think you can name 10 bigger brands than A&M. Post sec move and Johnny football, A&M absolutely is a top 10 brand at the moment. I’m not saying they are bigger than Texas, but they are certainly top 10. I’d have them around 8ish. They have the second largest network of living alumni and you can’t listen to a single podcast that isn’t talking about them constantly whether it be good or negative press surrounding their potential or the recruiting. The are absolutely a top 10 brand. 

I agree, and would probably have them around 7 or 8 as well. The one on this list that doesn't make sense to me, is Miami. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

You understand what brand means right?  

Guys brand means I can go to a different state, country, or continent with a Longhorn logo on my shirt and people will know what it is. It means the logo/name makes money regardless of whether you won a national championship. It means when you turn on the tv people that don’t follow sports knows who you are.

That’s why the WSJ poll is more accurate than a recruiting poll. It’s about money and branding ability. That burnt orange and white or that Longhorn logo is undefeated in all branding categories. It’s not up for debate. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Guys brand means I can go to a different state, country, or continent with a Longhorn logo on my shirt and people will know what it is. It means the logo/name makes money regardless of whether you won a national championship. It means when you turn on the tv people that don’t follow sports knows who you are.

That’s why the WSJ poll is more accurate than a recruiting poll. It’s about money and branding ability. That burnt orange and white or that Longhorn logo is undefeated in all branding categories. It’s not up for debate. 

I don’t have an issue with Texas at 1. I would say I honestly think Bama has passed them and ND is just as good if not better in terms of “world wide” like you said, but I have no issue with Texas at 1. 

My comment was it’s a laughable list with Tennessee being higher than A&M. The list loses credibility with that. I would also say Miami is more “recognizable” than Auburn and Tennessee. 

I was arguing with Kirt saying A&M is nowhere close to the list. I disagree considering some of the teams on it. 

You guys don’t need to get your panties in a wad. I’m not saying A&M is a bigger brand than Texas.

• LOL! 1

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I don’t have an issue with Texas at 1. I would say I honestly think Bama has passed them and ND is just as good if not better in terms of “world wide” like you said, but I have no issue with Texas at 1. 

My comment was it’s a laughable list with Tennessee being higher than A&M. The list loses credibility with that. I would also say Miami is more “recognizable” than Auburn and Tennessee. 

I’ve been to Europe and Asia in recent years before Covid hit. It’s amazing the amount of people who say something to you when you are wearing the Texas logo. And also amazing the amount of double takes you get but people won’t stop and talk. Seriously. It’s insane. The funniest part of it all is 80% of the people then ask how many horses you have. They assume all Texans are Cowboys lol 

1 minute ago, villagegenius said:

I’ve been to Europe and Asia in recent years before Covid hit. It’s amazing the amount of people who say something to you when you are wearing the Texas logo. And also amazing the amount of double takes you get but people won’t stop and talk. Seriously. It’s insane. The funniest part of it all is 80% of the people then ask how many horses you have. They assume all Texans are Cowboys lol 

In terms of abroad, I think the STATE of Texas is what’s recognized, not necessarily the football team.  The horns on a ball cap symbolizes a Texan. Everyone in the first world has a romantic view of Texas and the “cowboys” that live in it. That’s why you’re asked about horses and all that. 

8 minutes ago, WETSU said:

In terms of abroad, I think the STATE of Texas is what’s recognized, not necessarily the football team.  The horns on a ball cap symbolizes a Texan. Everyone in the first world has a romantic view of Texas and the “cowboys” that live in it. That’s why you’re asked about horses and all that. 

I guess them asking if I played American football didn’t have anything to do with them recognizing the football team. 🤷🏻‍♂️

im not interested in arguing. I was posting and quoting you to backup your point, the brand is pretty powerful. The logo being recognized and associated with the entire state as you mentioned also backs up the point, it’s pretty powerful. 

2 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

I guess them asking if I played American football didn’t have anything to do with them recognizing the football team. 🤷🏻‍♂️

im not interested in arguing. I was posting and quoting you to backup your point, the brand is pretty powerful. The logo being recognized and associated with the entire state as you mentioned also backs up the point, it’s pretty powerful. 

I never said it wasn’t. Thats the arrogance of every Texas fan getting in the way of listening to what I’m saying. I never said the Texas brand wasn’t among the top. 

But have you ever walked around Europe in a ND hat? The Catholics love them too. My point is it’s just as recognizable. Perhaps if you had wore a Bama or Ohio st hat it those same exact people might have asked if you played. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

I never said it wasn’t. Thats the arrogance of every Texas fan getting in the way of listening to what I’m saying. I never said the Texas brand wasn’t among the top. 

But have you ever walked around Europe in a ND hat? The Catholics love them too. My point is it’s just as recognizable. Perhaps if you had wore a Bama or Ohio st hat it those same exact people might have asked if you played. 

Negative ghost rider. I started my part of the conversation by trying to agree with you and giving a real life analogy of your point. I have yet to dispute anything you’ve said other than yes, they did relate it to the football team. Instead, you wanted to turn around and take a shot at Texas by saying it wasn’t the football program they recognized. Spin away Wetsu, spin away. 

Just now, villagegenius said:

Negative ghost rider. I started my part of the conversation by trying to agree with you and giving a real life analogy of your point. I have yet to dispute anything you’ve said other than yes, they did relate it to the football team. Instead, you wanted to turn around and take a shot at Texas by saying it wasn’t the football program they recognized. Spin away Wetsu, spin away. 

No spin. Just trying to prove a point to you. That those same people might have done the same thing with several programs gear. Just because you got a conversation in Europe does not back anything in terms of brand unless you’re going to wear several teams gear and see which one turns more heads. 

Being recognized does not necessarily equate to the most recognizable. 

A lot of the brands on that list are a correlation to them being blue bloods. Their history reached out to people not of their fan base.  It’s what happens when you’ve had success.  ND caps are recognizable outside of the Catholics.  They have a storied history.   

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

A lot of the brands on that list are a correlation to them being blue bloods. Their history reached out to people not of their fan base.  It’s what happens when you’ve had success.  ND caps are recognizable outside of the Catholics.  They have a storied history.   

Yea but have you ever worn an Ohio State or Alabama hat at a Catholic function? Just because they recognize it’s Notre Dame doesn’t mean it’s the most recognizable. 

• Mr. P locked this topic