Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

With 3 weeks left until the season kicks off I expect Hall to be back from suspension before game 1. Losing Neyor is a loss no doubt but Dont forget the transfer from Iowa St, senior Tarique Milton. WR was a group that could sustain an injury loss or two and still be very good. 

Early reports from camp were saying Angilau was probably going to move to center this year to replace Majors because he had more size. Majors struggles with bigger bodied DTs and the staff really likes sophomore Hayden Conner and EE freshman Cole Hutson at guard. Now they’ll likely stick with Majors to start the year. 

Reports out of camp on QB is about what I was expecting to hear after 5 practices and 1 scrimmage. Card looks more experienced and comfortable making calls from the LOS. He’s accurate short and medium but still struggling with hitting deep shots. 
Ewers is still learning the calls to get the offense in the correct plays when at the LOS. His arm talent is superior and typical of a freshman it shows. He’ll make a few spectacular throws and hit a deep ball for 6 that Card can’t hit, but next play he’ll not see a safety and throw a pick. Luckily there is still 3 weeks worth of practice left. 

I think it was crazy for people to write Card off before his sophomore season, he’s a talented player. The reports on Ewers are actually exactly what I expected from a freshman gunslinger type. 

*Side note there are reports out that the defense is playing much more tight coverage and playing it well.  

A lot of people took that scrimmage as the deciding factor for the entire season. It's "the sky is falling" kind of attitude.

The WR group is fine without Neyor. It's a big loss, but this is why you stack talent. You said it best, the WR room could take a hit and be okay.

We will see some freshman on the Oline get their number called. But this is exactly why Sark went hard on the Oline recruiting trail. 

As for Ewers and Card, not panicking at all. Both are extremely talented with different strengths. Still got 3 weeks of practice to get in the groove.

The sky is not falling by any means. We will see how this team has grown with how they handle the adversity after not being able to stand any of it last year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

A lot of people took that scrimmage as the deciding factor for the entire season. It's "the sky is falling" kind of attitude.

The WR group is fine without Neyor. It's a big loss, but this is why you stack talent. You said it best, the WR room could take a hit and be okay.

We will see some freshman on the Oline get their number called. But this is exactly why Sark went hard on the Oline recruiting trail. 

As for Ewers and Card, not panicking at all. Both are extremely talented with different strengths. Still got 3 weeks of practice to get in the groove.

The sky is not falling by any means. We will see how this team has grown with how they handle the adversity after not being able to stand any of it last year.

The WR room is deeper than it's been in some time, yes. That does not mean, however, that it can afford to lose a talent like Neyor and not miss a beat...

Jordan Whittington - As good as he is, he has a history of not being able to stay on the field due to injury.

Troy Omeire - He's going into his 3rd year in Austin, and has yet to play a single snap, because of injury.

Agiye Hall - How long before his next off the field issue keeps him from playing?

Milton may provide some help, and some of the young guys could have a big season, but neither of those are sure things. If Whit and Omeire can actually stay healthy, and Hall stays out of trouble, then sure, the WR room can still be one of the strongest position groups. But as it stands, losing Neyor is absolutely a big loss.

As for Card, I'm just curious what the few people that keep talking about his talent, saw from him last year to make you believe that. 

The sky is not falling, but there are definitely bigger ?'s today than there were just a week ago. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

The WR room is deeper than it's been in some time, yes. That does not mean, however, that it can afford to lose a talent like Neyor and not miss a beat...

Jordan Whittington - As good as he is, he has a history of not being able to stay on the field due to injury.

Troy Omeire - He's going into his 3rd year in Austin, and has yet to play a single snap, because of injury.

Agiye Hall - How long before his next off the field issue keeps him from playing?

Milton may provide some help, and some of the young guys could have a big season, but neither of those are sure things. If Whit and Omeire can actually stay healthy, and Hall stays out of trouble, then sure, the WR room can still be one of the strongest position groups. But as it stands, losing Neyor is absolutely a big loss.

As for Card, I'm just curious what the few people that keep talking about his talent, saw from him last year to make you believe that. 

The sky is not falling, but there are definitely bigger ?'s today than there were just a week ago. 

Well we never got to see what the beat looked like with Neyor so it can’t be that big of a loss. The coaches and team may have seen what he can do in practice or 7-7 but us as fans won’t know if he’s a playmaker on GameDay or not. 

One thing about WR in this offense an unknown freshman can turn into a stud over night. We saw Worthy do it last season. The team has 3 weeks to get a replacement for Neyor and it’ll be impossible to know if the replacement is a drop off or not. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Well we never got to see what the beat looked like with Neyor so it can’t be that big of a loss. The coaches and team may have seen what he can do in practice or 7-7 but us as fans won’t know if he’s a playmaker on GameDay or not. 

One thing about WR in this offense an unknown freshman can turn into a stud over night. We saw Worthy do it last season. The team has 3 weeks to get a replacement for Neyor and it’ll be impossible to know if the replacement is a drop off or not. 

We haven't seen him in the Texas offense, no. But we've absolutely seen the playmaker he can be on GameDay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Jordan Matthews committed to Tennessee. This one is very shocking as everyone thought he was a lock to choose Texas. 

Shocker for sure.

But maybe it gets Toviano off the fence a little bit, and opens space for a D Robinson/D Wilson/Akana.

Still in it with Hicks too, although my money is on OU or A&M landing that one. 

9 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Shocker for sure.

But maybe it gets Toviano off the fence a little bit, and opens space for a D Robinson/D Wilson/Akana.

Still in it with Hicks too, although my money is on OU or A&M landing that one. 

Toviano is still pretty wide open too. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up at any of Texas, A&M or LSU. 

22 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Toviano is still pretty wide open too. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up at any of Texas, A&M or LSU. 

Toviano, nobody can figure that dude out. 

Has a different favorite almost every week, LSU was the latest to surge. 

On 8/15/2022 at 9:53 AM, Lobo97 said:

Remember the QB adage about WR's, "if he's even he's leavin"? It meant for the QB to throw to a receiver who hadn't cleared coverage. I feel the same way about QB competition. If you have a RSF QB who is more talented than an upper classman and they are even in the competition, then go with the RS because of his higher upside and possible benefit of extra time starting at QB.

More specifically in this case, Card lost his confidence at Arky and has not regained it. He still showed signs of happy feet during the spring. Also his accuracy at 20+ suffers. Ewers on the other hand seemed a bit cocky in the spring game. You could tell he had confidence in his throws and it showed down field. 

The WR room will still be better than last year. Yes the loss of Neyor hurts, but hopefully JWhitt, Omeire, Thompson and Milton will pick up the slack.

• Like 2

I know WR is a big topic right now but to me, the Neyor injury simply means that TE usage probably should go up a ton.

I've kinda been on that train anyway because Sanders is maybe the best kept secret in all of the Big 12 IMO. The dude can play. Billingsley is interesting to me as well.

Worthy and Whittington are still the priority targets, no doubt. But if they can find a way to get the ball in the hands of our TEs, should be okay. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, KirtFalcon said:

Still can't believe Texas didn't make an offer to WR Coy Eakin ...

https://texastech.com/sports/football/roster/coy-eakin/12072

part of that bio is who he was interested in...when you see that most of the schools were "country" and his dad is a college RODEO coach..."Austin is weird" wouldn't have fit him well...but he probably would have been a sure-handed, wirey (tough to injure) Jordan Shipley type, which I'd have loved.

On 8/16/2022 at 6:57 PM, Baron said:

The WR room will still be better than last year. Yes the loss of Neyor hurts, but hopefully JWhitt, Omeire, Thompson and Milton will pick up the slack.

and hopefully Hall will actually get "his stuff" together and will be as good as thought to be...better off the field and on

8 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

part of that bio is who he was interested in...when you see that most of the schools were "country" and his dad is a college RODEO coach..."Austin is weird" wouldn't have fit him well...but he probably would have been a sure-handed, wirey (tough to injure) Jordan Shipley type, which I'd have loved.

I think he will turn out to be better than either of the Shipley brothers .... I'd take him over any of the receivers Texas has right now, probably other than Worthy .... he was far and away the best WR I saw at Jerruh World last year .... I can see him playing in the NFL if he stays healthy ....

• Wow 1

51 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I think he will turn out to be better than either of the Shipley brothers .... I'd take him over any of the receivers Texas has right now, probably other than Worthy .... he was far and away the best WR I saw at Jerruh World last year .... I can see him playing in the NFL if he stays healthy ....

Better than Jaxon, probably. Jordan? Doubt it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I highly doubt he’s faster than either of them.

I saw both of the Shipley brothers in high school and through their careers, they were good I don't remember either of them being all that fast ... Coy Eakin is a special talent .... he can be more than just a possession receiver like the Shipley brothers ...

31 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I saw both of the Shipley brothers in high school and through their careers, they were good I don't remember either of them being all that fast ... Coy Eakin is a special talent .... he can be more than just a possession receiver like the Shipley brothers ...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Mr. P locked this topic