Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

25 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I couldn't believe the review called that targeting ... unbelievable ....🙄

You just can’t tackle anymore, the defense is hamstrung now days versus the offense.

You can’t hit anybody even remotely close to the head, especially with your own helmet, you can’t touch the quarterback without extreme scrutiny from the refs even if totally legal by the rules those refs are gonna think about it and have their hand on the flag just waiting.

It’s extremely frustrating.

The Longhorns did what they needed to do last night against a quality opponent, just win.

🤘🏻

5 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

You just can’t tackle anymore, the defense is hamstrung now days versus the offense.

You can’t hit anybody even remotely close to the head, especially with your own helmet, you can’t touch the quarterback without extreme scrutiny from the refs even if totally legal by the rules those refs are gonna think about it and have their hand on the flag just waiting.

It’s extremely frustrating.

The Longhorns did what they needed to do last night against a quality opponent, just win.

🤘🏻

Overshown didn't lower his head or launch in any fashion, he simply ran over him and knocked him down .... what he did in no way reflects the definition of targeting ... surely this will be overturned .... the targeting stuff has gotten totally out of hand to the point defenders can't even make clean hard tackles ...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Overshown didn't lower his head or launch in any fashion, he simply ran over him and knocked him down .... what he did in no way reflects the definition of targeting ... surely this will be overturned .... the targeting stuff has gotten totally out of hand to the point defenders can't even make clean hard tackles ...

Exactly, agree 100%.

Week after Alabama, is often tough for any team mentally and physically……..Was not a pretty win, but does not make think any less of the team

If next week doesn’t look better, then I will think 8 - 4 is about what to expect.  
But I expect a better looking team next week. 

40 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Maybe it looked different on TV. On the Jumbotron last night it definitely appeared to be a helmet to helmet hit on the QB. I agree he did not launch 

34 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Week after Alabama, is often tough for any team mentally and physically……..Was not a pretty win, but does not make think any less of the team

If next week doesn’t look better, then I will think 8 - 4 is about what to expect.  

I agree, we want a certain standard to be met every week, and that’s understandable, but even professional teams sometimes have an off game.

I mean heck, Tom Brady did not play even remotely close to his potential/best against the Cowboys last week, not even close and they still won.

It’s difficult for any team to collectively play to its full potential in all three phases every contest, but what we can rightfully expect and demand from them is that the effort is there every game.

The team may make mistakes and they will, but we can expect their effort to be top notch every Saturday.

UT is playing its 2nd string QB whom we’ve discovered just isn’t a threat downfield for opposing defenses.

It makes play calling much more difficult and makes it harder on the run game to be successful when the secondary can easily keep everything is front of it.

I am happy this morning, because the staff made hal time adjustments and did get the rushing attack rolling in the second half.

People are WAY too knee jerk. The first half was a slow start for sure and Texas fans on here are immediately ready to be negative.

I get that we’ve seen UT to play up and then down, but this is Sark’s second year and we’re still very early in the second campaign.

The product UT put on the field last week was glorious and all Texas fans were proud; then they don’t quite meet that same level of play for the first half of the next game against a satellite school within the UT system (who actually is a good team with a good coach who’d been prepping for this game for months) and our own fans are ready to trash the team.

UT won, Bijan went off, we should all be happy.

🤘🏻

Edited by HearEmaGrowlin
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

I was at the game last night. The replay on the big screen did appear to show helmet to helmet. I thought it was a fair call. Not sure what it looked like on the TV replays....

It was face mask to face mask. But the call was that it was a defenseless player… that’s what the refs told Sark. Not sure how a QB with the ball is a defenseless player. 

can’t get out of the Big 12 fast enough. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

It was face mask to face mask. But the call was that it was a defenseless player… that’s what the refs told Sark. Not sure how a QB with the ball is a defenseless player. 

can’t get out of the Big 12 fast enough. 

Agree 100% on the face mask to face mask. Don't agree that it was a defenseless player. I guess I don't understand the rule. If you hit someone with your helmet (face mask is part of helmet) into their helmet, I thought that was an automatic ejection or do you have to lower your helmet and or launch?

22 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Agree 100% on the face mask to face mask. Don't agree that it was a defenseless player. I guess I don't understand the rule. If you hit someone with your helmet (face mask is part of helmet) into their helmet, I thought that was an automatic ejection or do you have to lower your helmet and or launch?

Announcers say the rule is “crown of the helmet” and something about 6 inches from crown. 

• Like 1

34-3 with the backup QB after you withstood UTSAs best punch over the first quarter plus of action. As has been mentioned…UTSA has a really good coaching staff. They have had this gameplan set for a while more than likely and just fine tuned it after watching the first 2 games. Over the course of normal play, they scored 10 points. You can’t discredit the trick play, but Texas played it about as good as you can and just missed the PBU by literally an inch. I know it felt like a bend but don’t break approach on D…but I personally thought it was a good plan. UTSA quarterback is a dude, you can’t just blitz like crazy on him can he can be deadly out of the pocket. You also can’t just leave your DBs on islands all game long either because the UTSA receivers are really good. Looked like Texas plan was to try to keep the big play from happening and dare a below average OL to overpower them in the run game. Harris and his receiving core are power 5 caliber. The OL and run game this year, not so much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

This was a loss last year.  Glad to see Texas push through the first half woes and take over the second half

2 hours ago, eagle34 said:

I was at the game last night. The replay on the big screen did appear to show helmet to helmet. I thought it was a fair call. Not sure what it looked like on the TV replays....

They didn’t call targeting due to helmet to helmet.  They deemed the QB a defenseless player.  The qb…..holding the ball…… in the pocket…..defenseless.  That’s what they told Sark.  

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:07 PM, thegreatbambino said:

Called the onside. 

it was just driving me crazy that the announcers kept talking about that "the Roadrunners are creative, making wild moved kicking onside kicks after a TD and running a trick play right after it" because one of the coaches is from the so and so coaching tree. I was like what the %^#$, Jeff was always a riverboat gambler at Gilmer...you never knew when he was gonna do something outside the box...that's being a winner.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:10 AM, eagle34 said:

it looked textbook CLEAN, like we would teach to kids as they start tackling in ball...just a good, hard hit.

6 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

it looked textbook CLEAN, like we would teach to kids as they start tackling in ball...just a good, hard hit.

That hit could easily be used as a textbook example of how to talkle someone while avoiding a targeting call ... it was a clean textbook legal tackle ....

6 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Quinn Ewers returned to practice today. No word yet on if he'll play this week, but the fact he's back at practice is a very good sign.

That’s very good. From what I’ve seen those injuries are all about pain tolerance. It will likely nag him all year, but he should be able to brace it and play through it. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

That’s very good. From what I’ve seen those injuries are all about pain tolerance. It will likely nag him all year, but he should be able to brace it and play through it. 

I just hope he doesn't rush it, come back too soon, and make it worse. 

• Mr. P locked this topic