Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

I'm not big on Card, but I don't hate the guy.

He's our version of like a Trent Dilfer or someone. Just don't make "that" mistake, and maybe can piece together something to get us some points. And we know it's probably a different outcome with Ewers, but my God, something has to change defensively. I know it was stated by @H3llR4z0r that TTU got 40 extra plays in, and like 7 or 8 of those were on 4th down where we didn't get stops. Rush 3, drop 8 and give up 331yds. For all of us watching the game, it was different when we brought some pressure, but yet we only bring pressure like twice/drive or something? Early on, I haven't been impressed with Gilbeau AT ALL. Let's hope we can figure this thing out this week... 

• Thumbs Down 1

36 minutes ago, iRockNewbzz said:

I'm not big on Card, but I don't hate the guy.

He's our version of like a Trent Dilfer or someone. Just don't make "that" mistake, and maybe can piece together something to get us some points. And we know it's probably a different outcome with Ewers, but my God, something has to change defensively. I know it was stated by @H3llR4z0r that TTU got 40 extra plays in, and like 7 or 8 of those were on 4th down where we didn't get stops. Rush 3, drop 8 and give up 331yds. For all of us watching the game, it was different when we brought some pressure, but yet we only bring pressure like twice/drive or something? Early on, I haven't been impressed with Gilbeau AT ALL. Let's hope we can figure this thing out this week... 

It's what you get with a country club culture that is so embedded at UT that they can't get out of their own way.  It's certainly embedded in the administration and that filters to the coaching and players.  Nothing is ever 100%, there are always individuals that give all, all the time.  But as a whole, they are country club to a fault.  Even the guys that get paid to discuss this on Austin radio reference this over the years and are talking about it again today.  

15 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

It's what you get with a country club culture that is so embedded at UT that they can't get out of their own way.  It's certainly embedded in the administration and that filters to the coaching and players.  Nothing is ever 100%, there are always individuals that give all, all the time.  But as a whole, they are country club to a fault.  Even the guys that get paid to discuss this on Austin radio reference this over the years and are talking about it again today.  

Not sure why the hatred lol. It's not like we're just rolling in 5* and 5* athletes right now. Maybe that'll change with Manning and Co. but yes, since Mack we've struggled to find consistency at the coaching position (HC, OC, DC, positional coaches). I think we're headed in the right direction, but sure as hell not 10-15 years worth.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:39 PM, iRockNewbzz said:

Not sure why the hatred lol. It's not like we're just rolling in 5* and 5* athletes right now. Maybe that'll change with Manning and Co. but yes, since Mack we've struggled to find consistency at the coaching position (HC, OC, DC, positional coaches). I think we're headed in the right direction, but sure as hell not 10-15 years worth.

Texas has struggled at DC starting with Manny Diaz. Obviously Kwiatkowski isn't going to stop this run of bad DC's.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, ETXfan16 said:

Yeah, at least from my eyes it looks like the Texas player was pushed from behind (you see his head fly back). Hope the girl is alright. I'm don't think she fell over or anything, but that's dangerous.

You hop over that railing and bumping shoulders with drunk college kids, anything can happen. I don't understand why they would storm the field, but Tech fans have a really unhealthy obsession with hating Texas so whatever, can't say that's shocking. But at least let the opposing team get off the field before you let a sold out crowd run wild.

They stormed the field because they won the last game that Texas will play in Lubbock for a long time and maybe forever.

• Like 1

McGuire had the gameplan that played to win the game in all 3 phases. On offense, they took advantage of 4th down when it wasn’t ludicrous to do so. On defense, they played a bunch of press man to take away the easy stuff and brought pressure at Card (a backup QB). They never wavered when down in the 2nd half and trusted the plan.

Texas should have had the same defensive gameplan as Tech. Dare the backup QB to beat you with pressure in his face and tight coverage. Instead, as has been noted, Texas didn’t consistently send pressure and didn’t consistently play tight coverage. The result? Poor yard per play/attempt sure, but when Tech showed they were content to take the short stuff and go for it on 4th down, that approach was no longer sound. 

Tech game-planned like a team trying to win, Texas game-planned like a team trying not to lose. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baron said:

Texas has struggled at DC starting with Manny Diaz. Obviously Kwiatkowski isn't going to stop this run of bad DC's.

The tune on him has changed so much since last September. There were people on this board touting him as a top DC at one point. The shine on Gary Patterson isn’t as bright after this weekend either though. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

The tune on him has changed so much since last September. There were people on this board touting him as a top DC at one point. The shine on Gary Patterson isn’t as bright after this weekend either though. 

TCU's defenses in the Big 12 were always overhyped. 

11 hours ago, WETSU said:

Give him another 3-6 months and I bet he'll come up with a devastating gameplan for Tech.  😛 

That said, I am expecting a performance from UT comparable to their Alabama game. 

Pretty sure he's had two big dates circled on his calendar since he joined UT's staff. 

24 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It’s Lubbock. The only thing they have to get excited about is beating in state opponents and passing their STD screening. 

There’s two thing Texas Tech loves to pass around: tortillas and Raider Rash.

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

We are all experts on here. PK is a poor DC for Texas. Jimbo’s offense is too complicated and outdated. Cristobal for Miami is overrated. Reilly cannot win the big game. Kelly is a poor fit for LSU. Name the coach and we can tell you what is wrong with him.

Heck we even got a theme song wrote about us…..real men of genius!!

It's not like we're just rolling in 5* and 5* athletes right now. Maybe that'll change with Manning and Co. but yes, since Mack we've struggled to find consistency at the coaching position (HC, OC, DC, positional coaches). I think we're headed in the right direction, but sure as hell not 10-15 years worth.

You're saying a few things towards the way I feel. I don't think we have consistently got the right kind of 5 star, blue chips over the years. A coach has to have a strong mindset, knowing what he's looking for in an athlete (his team)...so he can easily sell himself and the program to athletes...so there is a hunger to be there, change the program, and be lifetime Longhorns (not looking to dive out at the first bump in the road). I see some other things come to mind about consistency, when you try to build a champion team (at any NCAA level)...you have to be able to stack top quality talent. Like the idea of saving money, to help negate small disasters inside your family...stacking talent allows you to overcome injuries, suspensions and any other bump that comes along. You need tons of talent, you can never have too much talent (you get good players...you gotta keep them...a la Alabama, Georgia, Clemson)...all this is more difficult in the transfer portal world we live in. You're good players have to be recruiters for you too...elite talent drawing elite talent. You have to play an elite style of football...you gotta be able to put up video game numbers (tons of yardage, crazy points, sacks & picks on D)...players want the eyeballs on them and that does it...and that's what will bring big time talent in, along with W's.

It's a circular pattern of positive!

To be a highly successful program, you must have a highly successful work ethic...or else you forfeit your opportunities. 

Edited by PelvisPresley
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PelvisPresley said:

You're saying a few things towards the way I feel. I don't think we have consistently got the right kind of 5 star, blue chips over the years. A coach has to have a strong mindset, knowing what he's looking for in an athlete (his team)...so he can easily sell himself and the program to athletes...so there is a hunger to be there, change the program, and be lifetime Longhorns (not looking to dive out at the first bump in the road). I see some other things come to mind about consistency, when you try to build a champion team (at any NCAA level)...you have to be able to stack top quality talent. Like the idea of saving money, to help negate small disasters inside your family...stacking talent allows you to overcome injuries, suspensions and any other bump that comes along. You need tons of talent, you can never have too much talent (you get good players...you gotta keep them...a la Alabama, Georgia, Clemson)...all this is more difficult in the transfer portal world we live in. You're good players have to be recruiters for you too...elite talent drawing elite talent. You have to play an elite style of football...you gotta be able to put up video game numbers (tons of yardage, crazy points, sacks & picks on D)...players want the eyeballs on them and that does it...and that's what will bring big time talent in, along with W's.

To be a highly successful program, you must have a highly successful work ethic...or else you forfeit your opportunities. 

This 10000000000000000000%! 

I'm hoping we're starting to pave that road \m/  \m/

5 hours ago, PelvisPresley said:

I've been trying to explain this to folks for years.

Alabama has been getting 4/5 star kids, Texas has been getting "4/5" star kids. 

Those quotations have faded away a ton under Sarks recruiting.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:25 PM, WETSU said:

The tune changed on him after last Season. The Defense was terrible and blew 2nd half and 4th quarter leads all Season long. Shocked that Sark brought him back. As far as Patterson goes, we can only hope he can be talked back into putting the headset back on. The Man can Coach Defense. 

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

Has also scheduled his official to A&M for 10/29. 

Gotta win games. That was what everyone said regarding this recruiting class being a top class at the end of the cycle. The Tech loss was a a set back for recruiting more so than the season itself. Also the defense has to put it together for Texas, they tackled very well in the first 2 games but have struggled in the last 2. 

No hate, just stating what I from the outside looking in.  The consistency at coaching hasn't just been since Mack.  It goes all the way back to the mid 80s.  Take out Mack and Texas is a very mediocre program, on the field, for almost 40 years, especially considering the resources they have at their disposal.  No other program has done so little with so much with the possible exception of Notre Dame.  Over the past 40 years, they've won only 50% without Mack.  Texas should have stayed with Mack until he decided he was done.  

Now they need to stop the rotating door of coaches and stay with Sark long term, for better or worse.  Programs need consistency.

32 minutes ago, iRockNewbzz said:

You keep blaming the resources, so do you want us to get rid of all resources and be in the pit of dispair? If you wanna look closer, Mack wasn't even a good coach, but an AWESOME recruiter.

*It's okay though, keep hatin' ;)

Macks approach was a good one. Recruit top 3 talent every year and you’ll always win 10+ games. There’s just such a fine margin for error when you’re trying to jump from that 10 wins to title team. Mack was always there hovering at the line but didn’t get across it enough. 2 big 12 titles in 10 years just wasn’t enough. And it completely fell apart there at the end. 

• Mr. P locked this topic