Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

1 minute ago, Lhornfan said:

C’mon man. The only thing that hit Decker’s head was the left shoulder pad. I’m sure another angle will come out from the other side to confirm. 

It was a clear launch at the head neck area. The point is it’s called every single week. They ALWAYS call the flag and then review the hit and reverse it if it’s not really targeting. But I don’t understand how you don’t call it that close: I mean it was clear it was a hit to the neck/head area by a launching defender. I just want to know what the rule is if that’s not targeting…

Texas loses this game 10/10 times in the past. Iowa States defense is one of the best in the country. They won really really ugly game. I’ll take it. 

PK’s lack of adjustments is getting unbearable. Getting torched on 3rd and long multiple times and allowing 4th down conversions. I’ve seen enough of him the past year and a half. 

• Like 1

I feel like they did. The official doesn’t have to make a no targeting call if one wasn’t called on the field. 

I’ve seen it where a play looks clean and then officials stop it and say “There is a review on the previous play for possible targeting”. That’s what I’m surprised didn’t happen. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

It was a clear launch at the head neck area. The point is it’s called every single week. They ALWAYS call the flag and then review the hit and reverse it if it’s not really targeting. But I don’t understand how you don’t call it that close: I mean it was clear it was a hit to the neck/head area by a launching defender. I just want to know what the rule is if that’s not targeting…

I’m just going to disagree, and I would do the same if the teams were reversed and our QB was the player hit. The launching is not there because Decker puts his head down and goes low. Safety hit the only area that he could make contact with, and he purposely used his shoulder pad. 

Texas fans be honest…. You know if that was reversed and Quinn was hit in the head that way and fumbled you feel differently. 

Look I’m completely cool with taking targeting out of the game. I think it was a good football play. But by definition that was absolutely targeting. We can’t just pick and choose when we are going to call it. That was a clear launch to the neck head area that wasn’t called. Yet we will call it on plays where a rb lowers his heads and just butts heads with a defensive player. The rule needs more consistency. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I’ve seen it where a play looks clean and then officials stop it and say “There is a review on the previous play for possible targeting”. That’s what I’m surprised didn’t happen. 

Yeah. I think that’s what happened to the Aggies earlier this year. I’m saying I think they did review possible targeting. That’s what took so long to make the call. You don’t see Decker’s head pop back like you would have if it was helmet to helmet. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That’s my thing. I couldn’t tell. RG3 was adamant that it was. I just don’t know why it wasn’t at least reviewed 

From that angle it looked like he hit him on the shoulder and I didn’t really see the crown hit him at all. But I’ll be honest, I have no clue what targeting is anymore… 

• Like 1

That’s how I feel about targeting. It’s a bad rule to begin with. 

Then you see it upheld completely inconsistently week to week, game to game, but it carries a harsh penalty/ejection/suspension that you suspiciously see used to suspend teams best players before they play schools like Bama. So yeah, it’s an even more unpopular rule that needs to just be abolished.  

• Like 2

Just now, WETSU said:

Decker didn’t put his head down and go low…. He was being tackled from behind and the Texas guy launched at a halfway down player. I think it’s a stupid rule.  But that was absolutely launching at the head/neck. 

Again going to disagree with you, and I believe 100% if that exact play was Aggies vs anybody you’d have a different opinion. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Texas fans be honest…. You know if that was reversed and Quinn was hit in the head that way and fumbled you feel differently. 

Look I’m completely cool with taking targeting out of the game. I think it was a good football play. But by definition that was absolutely targeting. We can’t just pick and choose when we are going to call it. That was a clear launch to the neck head area that wasn’t called. Yet we will call it on plays where a rb lowers his heads and just butts heads with a defensive player. The rule needs more consistency. 

Not this guy, and I’m being completely honest. I’d be pissed at Quinn for not sliding prior to contact. 

What an ugly game but for the first time that I can remember Texas won an ugly game.

The Worthy route on 4th down was a thing of beauty. 
The defense has a long way to go and if Watts is out for a while then Texas has to figure something out at boundary corner. 

Just now, WETSU said:

I’m just so sick of the inconsistency. It’s literally refs and booths deciding games. 

Then you should love that targeting wasn’t called on the play. They allowed the players to determine the outcome. 

• Like 1

Again going to disagree with you, and I believe 100% if that exact play was Aggies vs anybody you’d have a different opinion. 

No I wouldn’t. I’ve seen Aggies ejected and the penalty given for FAR less…. 

The rule is head/neck. You cannot launch at the head/neck. If that wasn’t hitting the head/neck area how can we ever call it again?  It’s not just helmet to helmet or just the crown of the helmet. That was an obvious launch and the head/neck. And no it has nothing to with if an Aggie does or doesn’t do this. I 100% think that’s a penalty or nothing is ever a penalty. 

3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’m just so sick of the inconsistency. It’s literally refs and booths deciding games. 

I agree with you on this. The rule is so inconsistent, and the ejection of players is almost always uncalled for and makes a huge impact of a game. 

3 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I agree with you on this. The rule is so inconsistent, and the ejection of players is almost always uncalled for and makes a huge impact of a game. 

And the next game sometimes. 

Still, a win is a win. Lots to clean up. Take the win and onto the next game. Is Robinson hurt? I feel like he should get far more carries than he did. 

Edited by JohnnyFootball

Just now, JustAFan11 said:

What an ugly game but for the first time that I can remember Texas won an ugly game.

The Worthy route on 4th down was a thing of beauty. 
The defense has a long way to go and if Watts is out for a while then Texas has to figure something out at boundary corner. 

Then you should love that targeting wasn’t called on the play. They allowed the players to determine the outcome. 

No I don’t agree with targeting not being called on the play. I’d feel the same way if Texas was the team that lost this way. We can’t have these calls being so impactful one way or another. If that’s a clean hit, then let’s start letting every team hit that way. 

16 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Texas loses this game 10/10 times in the past. Iowa States defense is one of the best in the country. They won really really ugly game. I’ll take it. 

PK’s lack of adjustments is getting unbearable. Getting torched on 3rd and long multiple times and allowing 4th down conversions. I’ve seen enough of him the past year and a half. 

I agree this a loss last year, but this team still plays inconsistant.  I just can't see a win in Stillwater next week.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

And the next game sometimes. 

Still, a win is a win. Lots to clean up. Take the win and onto the next game. Is Robinson hurt? I feel like he should get far more carries than he did. 

I’ll take it. They didn’t come ready to play today and it showed. 

Bijan was 28 carries for 135. He was off to a slow start, but I think he’s fine. Iowa State has a tough defense.

29 minutes ago, WETSU said:

No launch. You can see his feet planted. Decker getting tackled from the side with his head down. Clean tackle in my opinion and the opinion of the officials on the field and the box. If it was head to head, there’d already be contact.

PNG image.png

Edited by Lhornfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No launch. You can see his feet planted. Decker getting tackled from the side with his head down. Clean tackle in my opinion and the opinion of the officials on the field and the box. If it was head to head, there’d already be contact.

PNG image.png

It’s the neck not the head. You cannot drive your shoulder/head into the head/neck area. The QB laid on the ground grabbing his head after the play was over. It wasn’t a helmet to helmet hit or the Texas player leading with his crown, but it was a hit thrown at the head neck area. We have seen far weaker calls is my point. If that’s not leading into the head/neck area of a player than what is? Honest question.  There’s no consistency. If you’re going to let it go sometimes let it go all the time is my point. 

Also look at that picture again. His head is clearly getting compressed into his pads… the hit absolutely involved the QBs head. Not saying it was helmet to helmet, but the defenders left shoulder absolutely hit the QBs head and neck. 

• Mr. P locked this topic