Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

Here's another view of the play in question.  Looks like a good clean to me.

Good angle. When the quarterback scrambles he becomes an RB. I don’t see how else the defender is supposed to tackle here with the runner leaning forward. Both feet are on the ground and it’s his arm that hits him in the helmet. It’s a clean play. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Good angle. When the quarterback scrambles he becomes an RB. I don’t see how else the defender is supposed to tackle here with the runner leaning forward. Both feet are on the ground and it’s his arm that hits him in the helmet. It’s a clean play. 

Here's the best I've found

It does not have to be helmet to helmet to be targeting. It can be a shoulder or forearm being thrown at the head/neck area of the ballcarrier. That angle makes it look like the shoulder elbow were clearly thrown into the head/neck of the ballcarrier. It also meets the other requirement of if another defender has the ballcarrier wrapped up and bringing him down then then hit happens as well. 

It was not clear either way. This is absolutely a questionable/debatable call that can be argued either way and is likely called one week and not the next. It clearly meets some of the requirements for targeting but also is clean enough it can be a no call as well. My argument was never that this should or shouldn’t have been targeting. It’s that how is this hit that meets parts of the criteria not considered targeting when calls like overshowns hit was ruled targeting. The rule sucks. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

It does not have to be helmet to helmet to be targeting. It can be a shoulder or forearm being thrown at the head/neck area of the ballcarrier. That angle makes it look like the shoulder elbow were clearly thrown into the head/neck of the ballcarrier. It also meets the other requirement of if another defender has the ballcarrier wrapped up and bringing him down then then hit happens as well. 

It was not clear either way. This is absolutely a questionable/debatable call that can be argued either way and is likely called one week and not the next. It clearly meets some of the requirements for targeting but also is clean enough it can be a no call as well. My argument was never that this should or shouldn’t have been targeting. It’s that how is this hit that meets parts of the criteria not considered targeting when calls like overshowns hit was ruled targeting. The rule sucks. 

Go reread the verbiage of the rule. You are right about it doesn’t have to be with the helmet. What you are missing is the “defenseless player” requirement. One of the exceptions of the rule is:
• A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped.

Two questions:

1) was the QB a ball carrier? I think the answer is yes.

2) He was in the grasp of a Texas defender, but was his forward momentum stopped when Cook contacted him? If he was still moving forward, by rule he was not a defenseless ball carrier. (Although I concur he was going down).

The rule is like pass interference. It is difficult to understand when it is or isn’t called, but we know it when it is incorrectly applied to our team.

12 hours ago, WETSU said:

You say it meets parts of the rule as if it were in fact targeting, then turn right around and say that it’s not clear.  Just say you hate that it didn’t cost Texas a win a be done with it.  That would clear the air up. Most Texas fans know why you’re here

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

I just don't see how the betting line keeps going up in Texas favor this week.  Do they know something we don't?  Is a bunch of money coming in for Texas?  I have seen some rumblings about Spencer Sanders's availability this week.

I don’t recall seeing Sanders get dinged up

25 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Separated his shoulder last week. Hence, the poor throwing against TCU. Not sure how he was able to throw at all.

Take it with a grain of salt, but my Okie sources are all saying Baby Gundy is getting the start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Take it with a grain of salt, but my Okie sources are all saying Baby Gundy is getting the start. 

I’ve kind of heard the same, but I’ll go in expecting Sanders to play. Similar to the Gabriel situation, just gotta prepare for the starter. Gundy was a little sus in his presser today.

• Like 1

We know if that was last year's team vs Iowa State, we lose that game. Like Sark said, it wasn't pretty/several mistakes but in the end when we needed, we drove down the field and punched it in. Defense made a play when it needed to. Love the upward trend we've established. #RevengeTour

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic