Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Predictable play calling.  If Texas has a 2 score lead sark calls a run on 1st down 90% of the time.  

That's exactly what I was talking about. They take their foot off the gas and become predictable  ....

8 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The worst thing about Oklahoma and Texas A&M being bad this year is the Texas guys get to beat their chest when they are just 6-3 themselves.

I personally am not beating my chest about UT.

The Oklahoma State debacle was bad, and Bijan fumbling on the first play of OT at TTU stung, especially after the miraculous game tying drive Card took them on with no timeouts.  That game was lost by the defense giving up 24 fourth down conversions.

If Ewers had been pulled in Stillwater, UT would likely have one less loss this season, but the coaches were hard headed and refused to go to the other QB.

35 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The worst thing about Oklahoma and Texas A&M being bad this year is the Texas guys get to beat their chest when they are just 6-3 themselves.

You can say Texas is a polished turd, but that means OU and A&M are the explosive diarrhea you get after eating Taco Bell.

• LOL! 1

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

You can say Texas is a polished turd, but that means OU and A&M are the explosive diarrhea you get after eating Taco Bell.

Texas is not a polished turd.  Maybe by their expectations, you can say that, but I believe they are a middle tier bowl team this year, needed a single breakout player/players to win the Big XII.  I don't believe Texas is worse than, talent-wise, any team that they have lost to this season (or will lose to) other than Alabama.  

Texas is at the pathway where they can take the next huge leap forward, which we are seeing on the recruiting end, or the point where they completely fall off of the map again... and that would come from coaching <also something I don't see happening.>

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

Texas is not a polished turd.  Maybe by their expectations, you can say that, but I believe they are a middle tier bowl team this year, needed a single breakout player/players to win the Big XII.  I don't believe Texas is worse than, talent-wise, any team that they have lost to this season (or will lose to) other than Alabama.  

Texas is at the pathway where they can take the next huge leap forward, which we are seeing on the recruiting end, or the point where they completely fall off of the map again... and that would come from coaching <also something I don't see happening.>

1 point loss to Bama

3 point loss to Tech

7 point loss to Ok State (worst one imo).  

led in all 3.  There’s a stat going around that shows when Sark has a 10+ Point lead in the second half he runs the ball 90% on first down.  

48 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

He said Texas was a polished turd like OU and A&M a few weeks ago. Just saying that if Texas is still bad then what does that make A&M and OU right now?

I agree with you though. I had Texas 9-3, 8-4. I didn't expect them to be a 10-win team or fighting for a playoff spot. They are coming off a 5-7 season where they lost 6 in a row and had a bunch of guys leave. All Texas had to do this year was win games and show that you've improved. OU and A&M being absolute dogwater this year has also helped, but Texas sitting 6-3 and second place in the conference is completely fine with me. They either take this momentum or like you said, fall off the map. I'd like to think we see them win 2 out of their next 3 games, if not all 3. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

He said Texas was a polished turd like OU and A&M a few weeks ago. Just saying that if Texas is still bad then what does that make A&M and OU right now?

I agree with you though. I had Texas 9-3, 8-4. I didn't expect them to be a 10-win team or fighting for a playoff spot. They are coming off a 5-7 season where they lost 6 in a row and had a bunch of guys leave. All Texas had to do this year was win games and show that you've improved. OU and A&M being absolute dogwater this year has also helped, but Texas sitting 6-3 and second place in the conference is completely fine with me. They either take this momentum or like you said, fall off the map. I'd like to think we see them win 2 out of their next 3 games, if not all 3. 

OU being way worse than expected has a lot to do with the treasure chest Lincoln took with him out west.  Now, A&M... I want to blame injuries, illness, etc... but how do you explain the beginning of the season?  It's simply coaching... I believe my bold pick was A&M to win the West this year.  So, I don't think there is a good comprehensive explanation.  However, I still think we all expected A&M to peak a year earlier than recruiting projections based on last season.  Also, without a great QB on the roster, I am not sure there is hope for that to come to fruition next season either.

BREAKING NEWS: OU defeats UT 56-49. 

Despite an apparent "Burnt Orange Mirage," officials have now accounted for 8 missing Oklahoma touchdowns during the Red River Shootout on Oct. 8th. 

The game will now be officially recorded as a victory for the Sooners. 

• LOL! 1

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

This is the worst Oklahoma team of my lifetime fandom and they have one more loss than than Texas. 

Edited by Valhalla
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

This is the worst Oklahoma team of my lifetime fandom and they have one more loss than than Texas. 

And they have two more losses than Texas in conference. I don't expect OU to lose a nonconference game when they play UTEP, Kent St. and Nebraska.

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

There’s a stat going around that shows when Sark has a 10+ Point lead in the second half he runs the ball 90% on first down.  

Killer Stat ... going conservative has killed them in these games  ....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Killer Stat ... going conservative has killed them in these games  ....

I don't think he gets conservative, I think he fails to make changes when the defense figures out the run game. Tom Herman would turtle and get overly conservative if he had a lead, but I don't necessarily see that with Sark.

Whatever works in the first half, and most of the time its running Bijan, he tries it in the second and the defense makes adjustments to slow it down. This is where his problem lies. He can't figure out how to pivot to get the run game going again. It sounds simple, but if the Bijan gets stuffed, you gotta give Quinn some easy throws. Unlike the Oklahoma State game, he made it much easier on Quinn to make simple throws in the Kstate game. And it started to work, but unfortunately Texas fumbled twice that killed two drives that looked like they could have resulted in points.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I don't think he gets conservative, I think he fails to make changes when the defense figures out the run game. Tom Herman would turtle and get overly conservative if he had a lead, but I don't necessarily see that with Sark.

Whatever works in the first half, and most of the time its running Bijan, he tries it in the second and the defense makes adjustments to slow it down. This is where his problem lies. He can't figure out how to pivot to get the run game going again. It sounds simple, but if the Bijan gets stuffed, you gotta give Quinn some easy throws. Unlike the Oklahoma State game, he made it much easier on Quinn to make simple throws in the Kstate game. And it started to work, but unfortunately Texas fumbled twice that killed two drives that looked like they could have resulted in points.  

Sometimes you run to set up the pass, sometimes you pass to set up the run. Sark preaches being a run first team, but with balance.  90% run on first downs isn’t balance.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Sometimes you run to set up the pass, sometimes you pass to set up the run. Sark preaches being a run first team, but with balance.  90% run on first downs isn’t balance.  

I get what you're saying, but  balance isn't always necessary when Bijan has over 150 yards in the first half. Sometimes going to the run 90% of the time on first downs is working. But when the defense figures it out you have to go to a different game plan and adjust. He's failing to do that.

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

True, but they have that 49-0 loss with 12+ minutes remaining in the game. I realize it would have been different if OU had their starting QB, but OU is also a good enough program to have a back up that can at least do something. He was so bad that you guys said "screw it" and ran the Wildcat.

30 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

True, but they have that 49-0 loss with 12+ minutes remaining in the game. I realize it would have been different if OU had their starting QB, but OU is also a good enough program to have a back up that can at least do something. He was so bad that you guys said "screw it" and ran the Wildcat.

It wouldn’t have mattered or made any difference if they had their starter.

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

I get what you're saying, but  balance isn't always necessary when Bijan has over 150 yards in the first half. Sometimes going to the run 90% of the time on first downs is working. But when the defense figures it out you have to go to a different game plan and adjust. He's failing to do that.

In their three losses it didn’t work.

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

I am not sure that is true in the transfer portal era.

Oklahoma was kind of the perfect storm for that.

• Mr. P locked this topic