Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This season is absolutely a positive for Texas no matter what happens from here on out. I think they still have questions, but it’s a very good building year coming off of last season. 

I think the hardest part is you see that they can or should win these types of games, but find ways to lose them. That is the most frustrating part.

Banks is an absolute stud at LT. Connor holding his own but our RT was getting absolutely mauled by that big Horton kid all night. Pathetic excuse on O wasted an outstanding defense performance.

The big run by Miller was aided by the dumb play by transfer LB who jumped inside for God Only Knows reason.

What an incredible game from the defense. They give up 17 to a really good offense and score themselves.

The roughing the punter was soul crushing. Texas had just scored its first points abs got a 3&out but went after the punt trying to create an explosive play. It backfired and TCU went up 2 touchdowns. 

I think after we see break downs of the game we’ll find that the young oline was not very good at getting to the second level in the run game. The TCU 3 down linemen created a lot of gap pressure and allowed the LBs to stuff the run. Texas was rarely in short yardage situations after 1st downs. When they were Ewers made bad decisions and never got comfortable. His footwork was poor on many drop backs. 

WRs had too many drops. I don’t know if Worthy gives up of balls or if he isn’t very good at tracking the ball. I’ll bet he never played in the outfield on a diamond. 

Not sure what to think about this loss. This team is much improved but while the defense is getting better, the offense is going through growing pains. Quinn isn’t progressing like we hoped he would and the oline struggled today. Good game by TCU they gutted out a gritty road win and didn’t make as many mistakes. 

9 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

I think the hardest part is you see that they can or should win these types of games, but find ways to lose them. That is the most frustrating part.

They were 5-7 last year because they lost every one of these types of games last year. This year they are pretty much splitting them 50/50. Likely next year they are winning 75% or more of them. This is progress. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

What an incredible game from the defense. They give up 17 to a really good offense and score themselves.

The roughing the punter was soul crushing. Texas had just scored its first points abs got a 3&out but went after the punt trying to create an explosive play. It backfired and TCU went up 2 touchdowns. 

I think after we see break downs of the game we’ll find that the young oline was not very good at getting to the second level in the run game. The TCU 3 down linemen created a lot of gap pressure and allowed the LBs to stuff the run. Texas was rarely in short yardage situations after 1st downs. When they were Ewers made bad decisions and never got comfortable. His footwork was poor on many drop backs. 

WRs had too many drops. I don’t know if Worthy gives up of balls or if he isn’t very good at tracking the ball. I’ll bet he never played in the outfield on a diamond. 

Not sure what to think about this loss. This team is much improved but while the defense is getting better, the offense is going through growing pains. Quinn isn’t progressing like we hoped he would and the oline struggled today. Good game by TCU they gutted out a gritty road win and didn’t make as many mistakes. 

Man Ewers over threw Worthy all night, Ewers can not hit the deep ball to anyone 

6 minutes ago, TDJ89 said:

Man Ewers over threw Worthy all night, Ewers can not hit the deep ball to anyone 

6 weeks ago he was one of the greatest arms talents in college football. Let it play out. He’s pressed the last 2-3 weeks for sure but he’s still young. He’s likely not as good as that 1st quarter vs Bama made everyone believe but he’s not as bad as he looked tonight either. It’s an in between. 

• Like 2

Just getting back to my daughter’s after the game.

Found my alumni brick.

it was also my granddaughter’s first home UT game. She is just over 3 years old. She was in awe of the entire experience. She has been to a couple of away games against WVU.

Some quick observations. Ewers is not seeing the whole field. Missed two easy scores with guys open in the EZ. Making his mind up way too quick and is forcing the ball. Receivers dropped a few. Took too long to get Whit involved in the game. Bijan did not get enough carries on outside plays. Ewers not doing the short game. Sark still trying with too many home run balls. Should dink and dunk more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

6 weeks ago he was one of the greatest arms talents in college football. Let it play out. He’s pressed the last 2-3 weeks for sure but he’s still young. He’s likely not as good as that 1st quarter vs Bama made everyone believe but he’s not as bad as he looked tonight either. It’s an in between. 

The dude is not it and over hyped, he should not be the starter, if I'm Sark, I'm not coaching feelings any longer, Hudson is my starter the rest of the way til Manning gets on campus and then have a open competition. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

If Manning was still favoring coming to Texas 2-3 weeks ago, he definitely still should be now……..Texas has potential and Ewers has potential, but Ewers has had enough bad games that it has to be an open competition next spring and fall for the QB job.  

10 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

Dabo Swinney benched his starting QB two weeks because he was playing horrible, the back up came in and won the game, but Dabo said he will remain the starter, just not in that game, Sark should've benched Ewers before halftime 

In Stillwater 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

They were 5-7 last year because they lost every one of these types of games last year. This year they are pretty much splitting them 50/50. Likely next year they are winning 75% or more of them. This is progress. 

It’s still frustrating as a fan though

9 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Just getting back to my daughter’s after the game.

Found my alumni brick.

it was also my granddaughter’s first home UT game. She is just over 3 years old. She was in awe of the entire experience. She has been to a couple of away games against WVU.

Some quick observations. Ewers is not seeing the whole field. Missed two easy scores with guys open in the EZ. Making his mind up way too quick and is forcing the ball. Receivers dropped a few. Took too long to get Whit involved in the game. Bijan did not get enough carries on outside plays. Ewers not doing the short game. Sark still trying with too many home run balls. Should dink and dunk more.

Whit should be #1 option every play.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

Not much difference with the Aggie hype of Weigman. They’ve each had a Spring with their coach. Ewers wasted a ton of time at OSU for the sake of money. I feel it’s much easier for DCs to game plan against young QBs when they know they’re playing versus coming into the game unexpectedly. I remember the frustration Texas fans had with a young Vince Young in regards to reading defenses, bad throws, and running before the play had a chance to develop. Ewers is not another VY - he’s not a threat to run. But I expect some great improvement moving into next season. 

• Like 1

I understand why everyone is frustrated but some perspective is needed with this offense. 

Seniors: Roschon Johnson, Christian Jones

Juniors: Bijan, Whittington

Sophmores: Worthy, Connor, Majors, Sanders, Helm, Karic

Freshmen: Ewers, Cain, Banks, Hutson

This is a very young offense. It is brutal wasting the last year to have Roschon and Bijan in the backfield but it’s very similar to Ricky’s senior year. Texas has to figure some things out and win the next 2. 8-4 is a very good improvement over last year and exactly what most expected of this team. 

Missing 3 and 3/4 games really hurt Quinn’s growth in this offense and it has shown against the drop 8 defenses of OkSt and TCU. 

It should be know surprise that the defense, which has much more veterans, is playing better as the season goes on. I think this is a good coaching staff and I think they have built a solid culture and are developing the players. It’s taking longer than us fans would like but I think it’s moving in the right direction. 

• Like 2

While losing like that is still frustrating, do y'all think that game last night hurt us or helped us in the recruiting process? Because from what I could tell {never specifically put eyes on them}, some top recruits were suppose to be in attendance (Hill, Duce Robinson, Vasek, Manning, Moore Jr, Markis Deal, recent visitor Ja'Kobi Lane)

To be clear, I have not given up on Ewers. He should start against Kansas. But when you have an experienced QB of the quality of Card, there are times you need make the change. If Card did not change the course of the game, in my opinion, you have to give a tip of the cap to TCU’s defense and move on to next week. Yes, Ewers receivers did not help him, but he seems at this point of his progression to be tunneled vision on his primary receiver. Contrary to some, I felt the line provided pass protection. Their issue was opening holes up the middle.

Edited by bordertown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

I understand why everyone is frustrated but some perspective is needed with this offense. 

Seniors: Roschon Johnson, Christian Jones

Juniors: Bijan, Whittington

Sophmores: Worthy, Connor, Majors, Sanders, Helm, Karic

Freshmen: Ewers, Cain, Banks, Hutson

This is a very young offense. It is brutal wasting the last year to have Roschon and Bijan in the backfield but it’s very similar to Ricky’s senior year. Texas has to figure some things out and win the next 2. 8-4 is a very good improvement over last year and exactly what most expected of this team. 

Missing 3 and 3/4 games really hurt Quinn’s growth in this offense and it has shown against the drop 8 defenses of OkSt and TCU. 

It should be know surprise that the defense, which has much more veterans, is playing better as the season goes on. I think this is a good coaching staff and I think they have built a solid culture and are developing the players. It’s taking longer than us fans would like but I think it’s moving in the right direction. 

I agree. I also think there are some that are being too critical of Ewers. The kid, for all intents and purposes, is a true freshman, playing the hardest position in football. Add on to that, he missed several weeks, as you mentioned. The Ok State game, I don’t fault him, as the kid had the fingernail ripped from the index finger of his throwing hand. I can only imagine how difficult it must’ve been to grip the ball. Allowing him to be as off as he was in that game falls on Sark. When he saw he was struggling, as a result of the finger, he should’ve put Card in. 
The last two games, he hasn’t been horrible, but he hasn’t been great. He’s made some misreads, such as missing Bijan running into the end zone last night, but he’s made some nice passes too. 
I also don’t fully fault him for the overthrows to Worthy. Watching on tv, and watching the replays, several of them look like they can be caught, if Worthy simply makes the effort. It almost seems like, unless the ball is dropped right in the basket, it’s not going to be a completion to him, because he isn’t going to make the adjustment or effort to make a play in the ball the way guys like Whitt, Sanders, or even Bijan will. 

• Like 2

I’m also a bit perplexed by those that are arguing for Card to play. I completely understand wanting to make a change for the purpose of injury, but it’s almost as if everyone has forgotten what Card brings, or doesn’t bring. 
I remember after every game last season, and the 3 he started this season, everyone arguing about how much Texas needs a QB. 
You argue that Ewers is missing the deep ball. Do you not remember Card throwing the deep ball? He’s never been able to hit the deep ball. He’s slow to get rid of the ball. 
I'm not sure how anyone thinks things would be better with Card. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I’m also a bit perplexed by those that are arguing for Card to play. I completely understand wanting to make a change for the purpose of injury, but it’s almost as if everyone has forgotten what Card brings, or doesn’t bring. 
I remember after every game last season, and the 3 he started this season, everyone arguing about how much Texas needs a QB. 
You argue that Ewers is missing the deep ball. Do you not remember Card throwing the deep ball? He’s never been able to hit the deep ball. He’s slow to get rid of the ball. 

Not to mention Card struggled mightily against the drop 8 defenses that Iowa st, OkSt, and TCU play. 

Regarding the deep ball, if fans remember Ewers got everyone excited at the spring game when he hit his WR in stride for an easy TD but the WR on the play was Neyor. He and Worthy have struggled all year, Worthy  dropped a TD in the endzone vs OU and they haven’t been close to connecting since. This is just my opinion but I think Worthy struggles to judge the ball in the air. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I will repeat I believe Ewers should be the starter. But Card does have attributes that Ewers does not have. He is a more mobile QB and he does have experience. I would have liked to see if Hudson’s threat to run would make the linebackers react differently. Would it open up the running game? Would it open up the intermediate pass as a linebacker would have to protect from a run by the QB. I only saw Ewers run once. Obviously the deep ball was not a threat last night. 3 points by a BIG 12 offense will not get the job done. 

40 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Not to mention Card struggled mightily against the drop 8 defenses that Iowa st, OkSt, and TCU play. 

Regarding the deep ball, if fans remember Ewers got everyone excited at the spring game when he hit his WR in stride for an easy TD but the WR on the play was Neyor. He and Worthy have struggled all year, Worthy  dropped a TD in the endzone vs OU and they haven’t been close to connecting since. This is just my opinion but I think Worthy struggles to judge the ball in the air. 

He also dropped one against Bama. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic