Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

6 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

That’s going to be a tough night for any Qb or play caller. 

Ewers is not the biggest problem. He’s might not be the solution Texas fans originally thought he was, but he’s not the problem. The issue last night was you’ve got a young offense that hasn’t fully learned how to play together and win. Those clutch drives you see in these big game matchups are not won by just a good QB. The entire offense has to be able to produce. Block well, throw well, catch well, run well etc… Texas isn’t there yet. They aren’t a top 10 caliber team yet. That doesn’t meant they aren’t improving or n the right track, they just aren’t there today. There are still some issues that may or may not get worked out, but anyone writing off Ewers and already looking ahead to Manning doesn’t understand what they are watching. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Ewers is not the biggest problem. He’s might not be the solution Texas fans originally thought he was, but he’s not the problem. The issue last night was you’ve got a young offense that hasn’t fully learned how to play together and win. Those clutch drives you see in these big game matchups are not won by just a good QB. The entire offense has to be able to produce. Block well, throw well, catch well, run well etc… Texas isn’t there yet. They aren’t a top 10 caliber team yet. That doesn’t meant they aren’t improving or n the right track, they just aren’t there today. There are still some issues that may or may not get worked out, but anyone writing off Ewers and already looking ahead to Manning doesn’t understand what they are watching. 

Agree, I just wish Sark had gone to Card in Stillwater when Ewers was clearly off and on Saturday. 

Ewers isn’t the problem, but he wasn’t able to pull the team out of it either, and giving Card a chance in Stillwater and against TCU wouldn’t have made matters any worse.  Card may have been the spark the offense needed, but we’ll never know.

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Agree, I just wish Sark had gone to Card in Stillwater when Ewers was clearly off and on Saturday. 

Ewers isn’t the problem, but he wasn’t able to pull the team out of it either, and giving Card a chance in Stillwater and against TCU wouldn’t have made matters any worse.  Card may have been the spark the offense needed, but we’ll never know.

Could Texas has faired better with Card vs OSU and TCU? Maybe. But do they get closer to the ultimate goal of competing for a title with Card playing those games?

Texas is where A&M should have been from the first loss… Play the future. Card is not the answer for a title now or ever and I think that’s clear. Ewers might be the answer in the future just isn’t right now. And you don’t get to the future title contender version of Ewers without letting him take his lumps this year. 

Ewers is the best qb on the Texas roster this year and until he leaves. Manning is not better than him. Texas needs to take these lumps this year and be ready for a title run next year before they enter the meat grinder.

34 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Could Texas has faired better with Card vs OSU and TCU? Maybe. But do they get closer to the ultimate goal of competing for a title with Card playing those games?

I haven’t heard any UT fan say to start Card over Ewers in either the OSU or TCU games. Instead if entering the 4th quarter and Ewers is still struggling, why not see if Card can spark the offense. The opponents defenses have game planned for Ewers and not Card. Card is not a bad quarterback. In his three starts he completed 69% of his passes with 6 TDs and 1 INT.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I agree. I also think there are some that are being too critical of Ewers. The kid, for all intents and purposes, is a true freshman, playing the hardest position in football. Add on to that, he missed several weeks, as you mentioned. The Ok State game, I don’t fault him, as the kid had the fingernail ripped from the index finger of his throwing hand. I can only imagine how difficult it must’ve been to grip the ball. Allowing him to be as off as he was in that game falls on Sark. When he saw he was struggling, as a result of the finger, he should’ve put Card in. 
The last two games, he hasn’t been horrible, but he hasn’t been great. He’s made some misreads, such as missing Bijan running into the end zone last night, but he’s made some nice passes too. 
I also don’t fully fault him for the overthrows to Worthy. Watching on tv, and watching the replays, several of them look like they can be caught, if Worthy simply makes the effort. It almost seems like, unless the ball is dropped right in the basket, it’s not going to be a completion to him, because he isn’t going to make the adjustment or effort to make a play in the ball the way guys like Whitt, Sanders, or even Bijan will. 

I've seen true freshmen play 10 times better than Ewers, he's has enough games to get beyond the Ok-state game and Sark has coached well either, like is said Ewers is not hungry enough and is not the guy, the kid is already paid and that's his mindset, he'll he was paid in HS which I think ruins this kids on putting in the real work to be great, in his mind, he's already made it and that's the truth of the matter, plain and simple.

7 hours ago, bordertown said:

I haven’t heard any UT fan say to start Card over Ewers in either the OSU or TCU games. Instead if entering the 4th quarter and Ewers is still struggling, why not see if Card can spark the offense. The opponents defenses have game planned for Ewers and not Card. Card is not a bad quarterback. In his three starts he completed 69% of his passes with 6 TDs and 1 INT.

Exactly 💯 if Dabo Swinney had the balls to bench his starter, Sark should too, Sark is coaching feelings on one player instead of the team.

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

### has Ewers shown you that you see, he over throws every deep ball, poor foot work, can't move or run to scare anybody and he's scared to get hit, he'll he looked like he wanted to cry on the sidelines talking upstairs to the coaches, seriously he's just not the freshman QB we though we would see in this point of the season and if you think it's gonna get better at Kansas next week with Ewers, then you don't understand what you're watching. 

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

Texas is where A&M should have been from the first loss… Play the future. Card is not the answer for a title now or ever and I think that’s clear. Ewers might be the answer in the future just isn’t right now. And you don’t get to the future title contender version of Ewers without letting him take his lumps this year. 

Ewers is the best qb on the Texas roster this year and until he leaves. Manning is not better than him. Texas needs to take these lumps this year and be ready for a title run next year before they enter the meat grinder.

Ewers is definitely the best QB on campus, and Card is a good QB without as much arm talent as Ewers.

I agree with playing the future.

However, the future was playing like a JV quarterback and the team needed to win the games they lost.  Going to Card for a few quarters in a couple different games could have gained the team two more wins.

Then you’re still in control of your own destiny in the conference and recruiting is better.

It also shows the other players and recruits that the best performing player is going to play, because the team is there to win games.

I totally understand what you’re saying in making sure your future QB gets playing time, but UT still had the ability to get to and win the Big 12 championship game had they beaten OSU and TCU.

Now, you might as well let Ewers play every down from here on out, and let Card transfer.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TDJ89 said:

### has Ewers shown you that you see, he over throws every deep ball, poor foot work, can't move or run to scare anybody and he's scared to get hit, he'll he looked like he wanted to cry on the sidelines talking upstairs to the coaches, seriously he's just not the freshman QB we though we would see in this point of the season and if you think it's gonna get better at Kansas next week with Ewers, then you don't understand what you're watching. 

Oh make no mistake about it… I expected this from Ewers. I knew you guys were too high on him from day 1. But when I say he’s not the problem I mean there are other areas Texas can improve as well. It’s not like this team is just a QB away from a national title. They have issues in other areas as well. Ewers is not the only problem is a way I guess it could be worded better. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Ewers is definitely the best QB on campus, and Card is a good QB without as much arm talent as Ewers.

I agree with playing the future.

However, the future was playing like a JV quarterback and the team needed to win the games they lost.  Going to Card for a few quarters in a couple different games could have gained the team two more wins.

Then you’re still in control of your own destiny in the conference and recruiting is better.

It also shows the other players and recruits that the best performing player is going to play, because the team is there to win games.

I totally understand what you’re saying in making sure your future QB gets playing time, but UT still had the ability to get to and win the Big 12 championship game had they beaten OSU and TCU.

Now, you might as well let Ewers play every down from here on out, and let Card transfer.

If it’s a for sure thing Card wins those games I agree, but I’m not sure that’s the case. I think it’s just as likely card struggles as well and now all you’ve done is take come valuable learning reps from the guy that’s going to get you where you want to be. Card is not that guy. He might can bandaid something for a little bit but he’s not the guy you’re building a program around. 

Side note, all jokes aside this is a serious question to you because you’re probably one of only two on this site that can take it and not think it’s a troll job…. That preseason rumor that Sark wanted Card but was told Ewers. Now that we have seen Ewers struggles in some of these games, is there any part of you that thinks maybe there was more truth to those rumors than originally thought? Is that possibly a factor why Sark wouldn’t pull Ewers in those games like you want him to? The decision is Ewers regardless what happens? I’m not saying this is true I’m just asking a question.  Could outside factors be contributing to the QB rotation? 

20 minutes ago, WETSU said:

If it’s a for sure thing Card wins those games I agree, but I’m not sure that’s the case. I think it’s just as likely card struggles as well and now all you’ve done is take come valuable learning reps from the guy that’s going to get you where you want to be. Card is not that guy. He might can bandaid something for a little bit but he’s not the guy you’re building a program around. 

Side note, all jokes aside this is a serious question to you because you’re probably one of only two on this site that can take it and not think it’s a troll job…. That preseason rumor that Sark wanted Card but was told Ewers. Now that we have seen Ewers struggles in some of these games, is there any part of you that thinks maybe there was more truth to those rumors than originally thought? Is that possibly a factor why Sark wouldn’t pull Ewers in those games like you want him to? The decision is Ewers regardless what happens? I’m not saying this is true I’m just asking a question.  Could outside factors be contributing to the QB rotation? 

I am not a big conspiracy theorist, but every now and then I do like myself a good conspiracy, ha!!

So, of course, my hope is there is not a group of BOR’s or BMD’s who tell the head coach what to do and when to do it.

Now, these guys pump tons of money into the university and anyone who thinks they don’t in the very least have intimate relationships and/or access to the coaching staff has their head in the sand much like Democrats have their collective heads in the sand about our border crisis.

There is a small piece of me that wondered in the OSU game, “Why aren’t we putting Card in right now??!” and thought I hope there haven’t been instructions given to Sark from the AD and or BMD’s to ride with Ewers no matter what.

I’m not saying I 100% think there is a small group who control the coach, but my mind goes back to what we experienced with Major and Simms.

Simms was no doubt a talented player with all the measurables and a HOF QB father.

Major had zero desirable measurables and was even a little bit dumpy looking, but that dude was a baller!

I think back then Mack was requested to start Simms and played him as long as he could until the Big 12 Championship game was in doubt, because he rode Simms too long.  Then Major came in and should’ve won that game had it not been for Phillip Geiger making a critical mistake.

So, yep, there’s a possibility there are requests for Ewers to be playing. 

We just don’t know for sure how all these big football programs really operate or the internal operations go from season to season.

The only goal should be to win, but with BMD’s that goal and how to get there can become blurry.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I am not a big conspiracy theorist, but every now and then I do like myself a good conspiracy, ha!!

So, of course, my hope is there is not a group of BOR’s or BMD’s who tell the head coach what to do and when to do it.

Now, these guys pump tons of money into the university and anyone who thinks they don’t in the very least have intimate relationships and/or access to the coaching staff has their head in the sand much like Democrats have their collective heads in the sand about our border crisis.

There is a small piece of me that wondered in the OSU game, “Why aren’t we putting Card in right now??!” and thought I hope there haven’t been instructions given to Sark from the AD and or BMD’s to ride with Ewers no matter what.

I’m not saying I 100% think there is a small group who control the coach, but my mind goes back to what we experienced with Major and Simms.

Simms was no doubt a talented player with all the measurables and a HOF QB father.

Major had zero desirable measurables and was even a little bit dumpy looking, but that dude was a baller!

I think back then Mack was requested to start Simms and played him as long as he could until the Big 12 Championship game was in doubt, because he rode Simms too long.  Then Major came in and should’ve won that game had it not been for Phillip Geiger making a critical mistake.

So, yep, there’s a possibility there are requests for Ewers to be playing. 

We just don’t know for sure how all these big football programs really operate or the internal operations go from season to season.

The only goal should be to win, but with BMD’s that goal and how to get there can become blurry.

That last bit is true of all programs. I agree that I think when you’re on first name basis to guys that give you millions a year to get the kids you want “nil or facility upgrades or whatever” then I think it’s hard sometimes to not have them in your ear. I think about scenes like Friday night lights where on Friday morning a group of guys came in and wanted to give them their ideas and he just had to sit there and smile. I don’t think it’s quite like that, but I do think here and there you’ll have some “suggestions” of things. I mean you’re talking about a group of men who are owners/ceos and worth tens if not hundred of millions. They are not the type of men who hear no very often. I imagine they play a big role in how lots of teams operate. 

Edited by WETSU
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, WETSU said:

That last bit is true of all programs. I agree that I think when you’re on first name basis to guys that give you millions a year to get the kids you want “nil or facility upgrades or whatever” then I think it’s hard sometimes to not have them in your ear. I think about scenes like Friday night lights where on Friday morning a group of guys came in and wanted to give them their ideas and he just had to sit there and smile. I don’t think it’s quite like that, but I do think here and there you’ll have some “suggestions” of things. I mean you’re talking about a group of men who are owners/ceos and worth tens if not hundred of millions. They are not the type of men who hear no very often. I imagine they play a big role in how lots of teams operate. 

Yep.

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I don't put too much into the idea that Sark was pressured to start or play Ewers. The kid has lots of talent that was seen early when there was a lack of game film on him. Virtually all so called experts publicly stated that Texas beats Bama if Ewers doesn't get hurt. Then we find out Ewers played OSU after losing a fingernail. That's very painful and many MLB pitchers would be out for 30 days (a whole different conversation). I, along with many, think this was it seemed all his throws were high against OSU - he couldn't grip the ball like normal. Now we have a guy that is struggling to read the field and has no touch on the deep ball like he did in Spring and earlier in the season. I would have liked to see Card come in a series or two just to see what he could do to TCU's defense. Ewers is my guy moving forward though.

I think the problem coaches have in today's game is protecting egos of these players due to NILs and the Transfer Portal. Dabo pulls his QB, but states after the game he is still their #1 guy... he was just having an off day and they needed a spark. Arkansas' coach basically said the same thing this past Saturday after the game. IMO the mistake of the TCU game was seeing Ewers struggle with deep balls but continue to throw them. An early question mark was where was Whittington? We started getting him the ball in the 2nd half, and he had some great touches (6 catches for 78 yards). At some point I think Stark should have told the offense our goal is to move the sticks and let the points come when they come. We don't need a 15 yard dig route on 3rd and 2. Likewise, with the coaches knowing Ewers is struggling gripping the ball causing it to sail, everyone should know that receivers need to push a yard or two passed the sticks on a comeback. It's little things that I think college coaches take for granted at times because they have the cream of the crop players. But most of these players didn't get that kind of coaching in HS because they didn't need it. They were studs, and that's why they play D1, and partly why they have the big egos that get in the way. I think Ryan Day of Ohio State does a great job of talking to his players during the game. He gets his points across without going over the top and yelling at players all the time. I think Sark is a little too soft and puts it off on his position coaches. 

• Like 1

This season is what it is supposed to be but is frustrating to many.  IMO, the general prediction was an 8-4 season.  However, with the 4 losses being a combined 18 points, with two of those losses coming after having a commanding lead, it raised the expectations in many people's mind.  There is plenty of blame to go around; Ewers not seeing the field in its entirety, Bijan dancing around too much, Worthy giving up on the ball, lack of Sark's second half adjustments or playcalling, defense playing soft on 3rd and 4th downs, OL not getting the push, etc.  Pick any one of them or all of them.  They are all contributing to the losses to some extent.  Maybe it is the youth of the team?  Who knows?

While it might have had short-gain advantages by putting Card in, the real investment is for next year eventhough I hate using the phrase "next year" since we live in the present and not the future.  Ewers is going to have to be the man next year because the offense will be without Bijan and Rojo.

Everyone has potential, the difficulty is reality.  What is Ewers really?  What is Sark really?  Collectively, what are the Horns?  Time will tell.

Hook'em.

11 hours ago, WETSU said:

I was wanting them to go to Card in the OSU game too...this weekend, I feel like a bunch of stuff wasn't working. I gotta say that I have been the utmost disappointed with Worthy this year from OSU on! He doesn't catch the non-perfect ball (which most times, you may not get a PERFECT ball) AND he hangs his head, shakes his head, does all the negative crap that kills a team.

I also thought at OSU and again this weekend that Sark may be hesitant to yank Ewers because Manning and his people (along w/ Ewers) may see that as a "oh, he'll yank me out if I'm not amazing...I'll go elsewhere". You hate to think that you take an L to appease players ego, but I can't talk for Sark. There were probably times I thought some of my players "didn't have it today" and was pissed and wanted to change my lineup to send a message and try to overcome a team, but thought it may not be quite the positive message at the time..."a team" is such a delicate balance. 

Here' my take.

Texas was 5-7 last year. Are the 4 losses by a combined 18 points frustrating? Absolutely. Those are games you could have very well won. It's infuriating as a fan. But a lot of Texas fans are failing to put things into perspective. You finished below .500 last year, had an insane amount of turnover in the offseason, and you're on pace for 8-4, as many predicted for this team. You have a freshman QB, who, before this season hadn't played since his junior year in HS, missed 3-4 games, while having 2 freshman Oline (and a few Sophomores I might add). You lose a WR and OL in the offseason that was huge and people seem to forget, you're playing walk-ons in the secondary... Those aren't excuses for losing. That is called GROWING PAINS. This team doesn't have a lot of experience. Especially at the QB spot, and everyone calling for Card - he doesn't have a lot of experience either. Texas has made a lot of improvements from last year, unfortunately the growing pains suck, but this program is going to be better for it. The amount of toxic fans I see is embarrassing.

Texas has held TCU, UTSA, and BAMA (all top-15 offenses), to 20 points or less. The defense couldn't stop anything last year. I eat all the crow for my PK slander. They played lights out Saturday, minus a mishap on the long TD (playing inexperienced players at the secondary, i.e. growing pains). The sky isn't falling. In fact, it's almost the opposite. They are progressing and growing, and the turbulence they've hit with benefit them in the long run. Calling for Sark's head or that "Ewers isn't it" is laughable. Ewer's has played in only 4 games this year where's he's played all 4 quarters. Remember Sam's freshman year? He might struggle, but ride with him and let him make mistakes. I promise you, he will be better for it.

• Like 4

And one last thing, comparing Dykes to Sark is so dumb. Don't think I've seen it here, but Dykes inherited a veteran, experienced TCU team. Texas is not that. Max Duggan had played in 38 games before Saturday. They are an undefeated top 4 team.

Again, perspective.

3 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

And one last thing, comparing Dykes to Sark is so dumb. Don't think I've seen it here, but Dykes inherited a veteran, experienced TCU team. Texas is not that. Max Duggan had played in 38 games before Saturday. They are an undefeated top 4 team.

Again, perspective.

What is crazy about TCU is that Duggan was not the starter earlier in the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Calling for Sark's head or that "Ewers isn't it" is laughable. Ewer's has played in only 4 games this year where's he's played all 4 quarters. Remember Sam's freshman year? He might struggle, but ride with him and let him make mistakes. I promise you, he will be better for it.

I saw a tweet or post somewhere comparing Ewers to Ehlinger in their freshman season, and their stats were similar. Anyone wanting to throw Ewers out with the bathwater and go all-in on Manning is a lordly fool. 

Ewers has proven he can play college QB. Arch hasn't proven squat. 

18 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Ewers has proven he can play college QB. Arch hasn't proven squat. 

Well, yes...one of those guys is in college and one has not gotten there yet.

Despite any doubts, I think Manning will be very good...if he isn't succeeding I think he'll get plenty of lessons and advice to improve him 24/7/365.

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Here' my take.

Texas was 5-7 last year. Are the 4 losses by a combined 18 points frustrating? Absolutely. Those are games you could have very well won. It's infuriating as a fan. But a lot of Texas fans are failing to put things into perspective. You finished below .500 last year, had an insane amount of turnover in the offseason, and you're on pace for 8-4, as many predicted for this team. You have a freshman QB, who, before this season hadn't played since his junior year in HS, missed 3-4 games, while having 2 freshman Oline (and a few Sophomores I might add). You lose a WR and OL in the offseason that was huge and people seem to forget, you're playing walk-ons in the secondary... Those aren't excuses for losing. That is called GROWING PAINS. This team doesn't have a lot of experience. Especially at the QB spot, and everyone calling for Card - he doesn't have a lot of experience either. Texas has made a lot of improvements from last year, unfortunately the growing pains suck, but this program is going to be better for it. The amount of toxic fans I see is embarrassing.

Texas has held TCU, UTSA, and BAMA (all top-15 offenses), to 20 points or less. The defense couldn't stop anything last year. I eat all the crow for my PK slander. They played lights out Saturday, minus a mishap on the long TD (playing inexperienced players at the secondary, i.e. growing pains). The sky isn't falling. In fact, it's almost the opposite. They are progressing and growing, and the turbulence they've hit with benefit them in the long run. Calling for Sark's head or that "Ewers isn't it" is laughable. Ewer's has played in only 4 games this year where's he's played all 4 quarters. Remember Sam's freshman year? He might struggle, but ride with him and let him make mistakes. I promise you, he will be better for it.

Yeah exactly. If that transfer LB doesn't jump inside and plays his gap on that run by Miller, he's stopped for a 2 yard gain and they potentially have to punt instead of scoring there. 

What I also think hurts is the lack of weapons in the receiving corps. Worthy was dominant last year, but hasn't lived up to the hype so far this year {IE too many drops, gives up easily on balls that he could nab, doesn't execute every route on the tree}. Whitting is good, but we only use him sparingly. Us losing Neyor, I think, is coming back to bite us in the backside because we can't expect to win games with Worthy drops, only utilizing JWhit/Sanders sparingly and no one else {No Cain, No Red}. Hopefully Johntay doesn't decommit, definitely could use him.

8 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

This season is what it is supposed to be but is frustrating to many.  IMO, the general prediction was an 8-4 season.  However, with the 4 losses being a combined 18 points, with two of those losses coming after having a commanding lead, it raised the expectations in many people's mind.  There is plenty of blame to go around; Ewers not seeing the field in its entirety, Bijan dancing around too much, Worthy giving up on the ball, lack of Sark's second half adjustments or playcalling, defense playing soft on 3rd and 4th downs, OL not getting the push, etc.  Pick any one of them or all of them.  They are all contributing to the losses to some extent.  Maybe it is the youth of the team?  Who knows?

While it might have had short-gain advantages by putting Card in, the real investment is for next year eventhough I hate using the phrase "next year" since we live in the present and not the future.  Ewers is going to have to be the man next year because the offense will be without Bijan and Rojo.

Everyone has potential, the difficulty is reality.  What is Ewers really?  What is Sark really?  Collectively, what are the Horns?  Time will tell.

Hook'em.

Ewers is very young. There's zero question tho that he has superior arm talent. Definitely superior to Cards. Does his miss on a lot of balls? Yes. Name a QB that throws the perfect deep ball every time. Now he has been missing a lot, but he's still young. I mean he gives us as much or a better chance than Casey Thompson did. But I see you noticed Bijan's dancing like I did. I said in the middle of the game that Bijan was trying to do too much. A couple of times all he had to do was cut it up field and get 2-4 yards, but instead he jump cuts and gets stuffed at the line. 

There was a pass down the sideline that was slightly underthrown, but I think was perfect for Worthy to stop and catch behind  the defender. Because the ball didn't drop in right over his shoulder though, he just didn't even make an effort for it. He could have easily drawn a PI call as well. That I believe was on Worthy. Of course there were a couple of noteable drops in the first half as well by both Worthy and Sanders.

There's a lot of issues, and I'm not sure what the answer is to solve them all. I do think Card should have been inserted at the end of the OSU game, but it's hard for me to blame this performance on Ewers. There's so much going on here it's ridiculous. 

Edited by H3llR4z0r

• Mr. P locked this topic