Jump to content

Longhorns 2022 Thread


Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I can’t, but I am also not a Texas fan. 
 

I can name quite a few from his freshman, sophomore, and junior season who he still didn’t win the conference with.

Answered the question yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It was more about the defense he played with and the fact he only attempted about 4 passes 5+yards pass the LOS. 
 

Colt was a winner and deserves a lot of praise. But he was not a generational QB. He was a bus driver on a loaded roster. And before you guys get your panties in a wad there’s no shame in that. It’s not an insult to say that he was not the demigod you guys memorized him as.  I’d take a national title with him over all the spectacular Johnny moments and no trophies to speak of. 

Tell us about the loaded Rosters in 2008 and 2009.  Beyond 2 really good WR’s in 2008 and one in 2009….there wasn’t much else.  His OL in those 2 years were turnstiles….. which is the reason for the quick throws.  I’d like to tear your fables about these loaded rosters on offense.  Colt didn’t play defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Tell us about the loaded Rosters in 2008 and 2009.  Beyond 2 really good WR’s in 2008 and one in 2009….there wasn’t much else.  His OL in those 2 years were turnstiles….. which is the reason for the quick throws.  I’d like to tear your fables about these loaded rosters on offense.  Colt didn’t play defense.

I already said I was talking about the defense. 
 

Colt threw 27 TDs and 12 Ints and ran for 3 TDs that championship run. Those aren’t generational stats. 
 

Im going to get you to admit something you’ve been running from for years because you can’t win both of these arguments at the same time. That championship game where Colt went out, you always talk about Gilbert nearly leading Texas back and had it been Colt they would have won. I always say it’s because Bama played it safe once up big and got a little lazy but when the game got close enough again they turned it back on and cruised. You always refute that. So my analysis of your view on that is that Texas was good enough with a true freshman Gilbert to make a run and nearly come back and beat Bama. According to you it was basically all Colt on offense. So how did Gilbert manage to make the comeback to keep the game respectable if Bama didn’t just let up? Was the offense not as bad as you’re making it sound? Was Colt not as good as you’re making him sound and even Gilbert was capable of doing enough to keep the game vs the national champion respectable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Go back and watch some of the throws in that game.  Johnson and Duvernay, and don’t leave out Humphrey…. Won that game for him.  The Defense actually played lights out for 3-3/4 quarters too.  What happened after he lost those 3 guys?  We started seeing complete inaccuracy 

Go back and watch the way he imposed his will in that game.

 

I’ve never claimed that Ehlinger was the best passer; but nether was Tebow. Their styles were very similar. Ehlinger had Texas in games they wouldn’t have otherwise been in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, WETSU said:

What have you proven? You pulled like 4 examples out of roughly 375 players. You also failed to address what I’ve said 3 times now. Yes Texas does not recruit at a Bama level. But if you are telling me they haven’t out recruited Iowa st, Kansas, Kansas St, Etc. then im not sure you actually watch football. Only an idiot would look at Texas and Iowa St and say Iowa st recruits better than Texas. False in every way imaginable. Iowa st develops talent better than Texas. Same can be said for KSU, Baylor, OSU etc. They are not out recruiting texas, they are developing better than them. 

I would think Texas has recruited better than all of the SEC teams in the last 15 years other than Bama, maybe LSU. They have out recruited OU in that span. I 100% concur it's been a development problem. The rankings can't be wrong every year. UT is consistently top 10 in the Country every year in Recruiting rankings buy it has not transferred to the playing field. We are all hoping Sark can get a QB developed and change the narrative. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ANTI said:

He was at one point.

4 star, 5 star....doesn't matter. He was never either.

I watched him at Elite 11 regionals in 2012.....never saw it. 

Saban wouldn't have been able to "develop" him. 

Do you even read? I've stated this numerous times on this board in the last 48 hours. Texas has had a problem with evaluating talent. Tyrone Swoopes was not a 4 star. A lot of these guys weren't. But even the ones that were worth their stars were still not developed to their full potential.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, eagle34 said:

I would think Texas has recruited better than all of the SEC teams in the last 15 years other than Bama, maybe LSU. They have out recruited OU in that span. I 100% concur it's been a development problem. The rankings can't be wrong every year. UT is consistently top 10 in the Country every year in Recruiting rankings buy it has not transferred to the playing field. We are all hoping Sark can get a QB developed and change the narrative. 

+1 Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

But can you answer DB2's question? ... 😂

 

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Answered the question yet?

No, Sam was not more talented as a passer than Colt. 
 

There have been more talented guys than both of them who have been disasters at Texas the last 15 years too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Go back and watch the way he imposed his will in that game.

 

I’ve never claimed that Ehlinger was the best passer; but nether was Tebow. Their styles were very similar. Ehlinger had Texas in games they wouldn’t have otherwise been in. 

You knew what you were getting with Ehlinger. A guy who was going to leave it all on the field every single game. He didn't win with flash or accurate passing, he won with passion. DB is right, after those guys left, Ehlinger struggled (throw in a poor Oline with that as well), but even with his inconsistencies I'll never rag on the kid. He may not be a top rated QB or recruit out of HS but he has what few people possess, and that's a will to win at all cost. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

 

No, Sam was not more talented as a passer than Colt. 
 

There have been more talented guys than both of them who have been disasters at Texas the last 15 years too.

Garrett Gilbert comes to mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

Sam and Colt also played in completely different offensive styles too. 
 

Neither would have been successful in the other type of offense.

Exactly. I am laughing at the thought of Colt trying to hit those go routes that Sam was so good at. But the. Again Sam couldn’t hit the drag route that made Shipley famous to save his life. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

I already said I was talking about the defense. 
 

Colt threw 27 TDs and 12 Ints and ran for 3 TDs that championship run. Those aren’t generational stats. 
 

Im going to get you to admit something you’ve been running from for years because you can’t win both of these arguments at the same time. That championship game where Colt went out, you always talk about Gilbert nearly leading Texas back and had it been Colt they would have won. I always say it’s because Bama played it safe once up big and got a little lazy but when the game got close enough again they turned it back on and cruised. You always refute that. So my analysis of your view on that is that Texas was good enough with a true freshman Gilbert to make a run and nearly come back and beat Bama. According to you it was basically all Colt on offense. So how did Gilbert manage to make the comeback to keep the game respectable if Bama didn’t just let up? Was the offense not as bad as you’re making it sound? Was Colt not as good as you’re making him sound and even Gilbert was capable of doing enough to keep the game vs the national champion respectable?

Bama didn’t throw the ball a lot that year as it was.  McElroy only threw 12 times in that game.  Was it them going safe or just sticking to the game plan? He had 18 attempts in the sec championship game.  We’re they playing it safe then too?  Bama leaned hard on their run game and defense that year.  It worked.  
 

garrett Gilbert would’ve been a great qb had Texas not changed their offense up.  Mack Brown ruined him.  I bc was not suprised at his play against Bama one bit.  
 

and you stated “He was a bus driver on a loaded roster. ”. He didn’t drive the defense.  Yes you said it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:
12 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Exactly. I am laughing at the thought of Colt trying to hit those go routes that Sam was so good at. But the. Again Sam couldn’t hit the drag route that made Shipley famous to save his life. 

I’m laughing at the thought of Sam dropping dimes downfield.  I remember wr’s adjusting to poorly thrown balls or making outrageous catches by laying out for it.  Most longhorn fans would tell you Sam wasn’t good downfield.  But the Aggy says it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

Sam and Colt also played in completely different offensive styles too. 
 

Neither would have been successful in the other type of offense.

So you still haven’t answered the question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Go back and watch the way he imposed his will in that game.

 

I’ve never claimed that Ehlinger was the best passer; but nether was Tebow. Their styles were very similar. Ehlinger had Texas in games they wouldn’t have otherwise been in. 

And lost them a lot they shouldn’t have.

 

4 straight qb powers on first and goal before scoring…..imposing one’s will?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I’m laughing at the thought of Sam dropping dimes downfield.  I remember wr’s adjusting to poorly thrown balls or making outrageous catches by laying out for it.  Most longhorn fans would tell you Sam wasn’t good downfield.  But the Aggy says it

I didn’t say that Sam was great throwing downfield, but Texas hit a LOT of throws on fades and go routes that they did not hit under Colt. That’s my point. The offenses were completely different. 
 

Sam didn’t put a lot of drives together the way Colt did. He didn’t walk a team down the field using short throws. It was usually big plays or bust for the Texas offense under Sam. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

But even the ones that were worth their stars were still not developed to their full potential.

Like who?

Give me some names. Malik Jefferson is one that I'd agree with...who else?

Garrett Gilbert too, but that was more of a fit thing. He had no business at Texas because Mack was never really good at adjusting to the athlete. 

Lake Travis QBs can be good next level, but they absolutely have to be in the right system because they are system QBs. Not plug and play QBs. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

Im going to get you to admit something you’ve been running from for years because you can’t win both of these arguments at the same time. That championship game where Colt went out, you always talk about Gilbert nearly leading Texas back and had it been Colt they would have won. I always say it’s because Bama played it safe once up big and got a little lazy but when the game got close enough again they turned it back on and cruised. You always refute that. So my analysis of your view on that is that Texas was good enough with a true freshman Gilbert to make a run and nearly come back and beat Bama. According to you it was basically all Colt on offense. So how did Gilbert manage to make the comeback to keep the game respectable if Bama didn’t just let up? Was the offense not as bad as you’re making it sound? Was Colt not as good as you’re making him sound and even Gilbert was capable of doing enough to keep the game vs the national champion respectable?

I’d like to weigh in on this from experience. The offensive play calling after Colt’s injury was very vanilla. The idea was let’s not lose this game before halftime. Let’s get to the locker room and put a game plan in for Gilbert. I’ve been involved in games and witnessed several others were the offense has success due to losing a key player. Bama was not prepared for Gilbert. Years ago we played Desoto in the playoffs, and they were all about giving the ball to future NFL RB Tatum Bell with an occasional play action or boot. We knocked Bell out early in the first quarter. Their QB went to RB and the best athlete on the team went to QB. They started running the option. Something we hadn’t prepared for or even seen since about week 5. We lost the game with the most talented roster I’ve ever coached, and we still finished the year ranked as a Fox Fab 50 team in the nation. Likewise Texas had Spencer Rattler’s number last year. In comes the backup and we look like we don’t know how to contain or tackle a QB. Alabama was good enough to overcome the success that Texas had with Gilbert. I (and yes I’m biased) don’t think Alabama wins if Colt doesn’t get hurt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I didn’t say that Sam was great throwing downfield, but Texas hit a LOT of throws on fades and go routes that they did not hit under Colt. That’s my point. The offenses were completely different. 
 

Sam didn’t put a lot of drives together the way Colt did. He didn’t walk a team down the field using short throws. It was usually big plays or bust for the Texas offense under Sam. 

Who made those plays downfield?  Collin Johnson, Devin Duvernay and LJ Humphrey.  Those guys could go get the ball.  Duvernay could adjust to a pass better than anybody I’ve ever seen.  He could shield the DB as well.  Johnson just had a broad catch radius.  Nobody saw Sam’s inaccuracy until they were gone.  He struggled pushing the ball up the field.

 

colt’s first couple years he pushed the ball downfield more so than his last two.  They had a good OL his first 2 years.  His junior and senior season they were crap.  That’s why they always talked about the short passing game as an extension of their run game.  
 

 

you should educate yourself on the matter before you talk about it. The more you talk the more you show what you don’t know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Like who?

Give me some names. Malik Jefferson is one that I'd agree with...who else?

Garrett Gilbert too, but that was more of a fit thing. He had no business at Texas because Mack was never really good at adjusting to the athlete. 

Lake Travis QBs can be good next level, but they absolutely have to be in the right system because they are system QBs. Not plug and play QBs. 

 

Mack swapping to a power run game killed Gilbert.  He was taylormade for what they did with McCoy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I didn’t say that Sam was great throwing downfield, but Texas hit a LOT of throws on fades and go routes that they did not hit under Colt. That’s my point. The offenses were completely different. 
 

Sam didn’t put a lot of drives together the way Colt did. He didn’t walk a team down the field using short throws. It was usually big plays or bust for the Texas offense under Sam. 

Thus the reason Sam couldn’t tote Colt’s jock strap

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, WETSU said:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I’ve heard 3 straight staffs get a pass on year 1 because they were “getting out the soft players from the staff before” just to all 3 be on the hot seat by end of year 2 and fired by year 4 for the same problems they were facing when they took over…. Im going to assume that’s the Texas Longhorns default setting until proven otherwise. Lol

Not in any particular order

#1 Herman wasn't a CDC hire

#2 Herman blatantly defied CDC when it came to the Eyes of Texas controversy.

#3 Herman was a jerk as shown by his double bird episode, mocking an opposing QB (he should have let his players take care of that), trying to fight another head coach, burned hot dogs, watery eggs and finally the pee chart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...