Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

17 minutes ago, LOL said:

I wish I could get paid for being wrong 90 percent of the time.  :rofl:

Have y'all ever watched an episode of The Office, and had to fast forward through a scene because Michael Scott does something so cringey that you can't stand it? 

37zs6iH.jpeg

Yeah, me too. 

• LOL! 1

8 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

IT reported Monday that after the scrimmage last week Card was probably ahead of Ewers. Ewers started coming into practice early and staying late to work with the QB coach on film study and playbook stuff.

I think Quinn stole the job this week. 

Well either way, y'all finally have a QB1, and the offense can move forward. It'll be interesting to see how all this shakes out. 

Card was not going to be the starter after his performance last season as much as anything.  Ewers has the better arm and accuracy and has far more upside than Card ... I think most everyone knew all along Ewers was going to be the starter barring any major flaws or hickups  .... no surprise here and Sark got ahead of the nay sayers naming Ewers the starter this early ....

28 minutes ago, WETSU said:

MULTIPLE outlets have been reporting that Card has outplayed Ewers all spring and Fall. imo Sark is being forced to start Ewers. 

Can you provide links? Genuinely asking, I don't think I've seen that from the outlets I'm subscribed too. He did have a leg up and I'll admit that, but it has also been reported by multiple people that he is still really struggling to hit deep throws.

This was the best decision for the long run. Card has already said he wants to graduate from McCombs before he goes anywhere else, so he will stick around until then.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

IT reported Monday that after the scrimmage last week Card was probably ahead of Ewers. Ewers started coming into practice early and staying late to work with the QB coach on film study and playbook stuff.

I think Quinn stole the job this week. 

It sounds like Card has really sunk his teeth into the playbook, which I interpreted that as him being slightly ahead of Ewers, but as far as his play goes he hasn't improved much since last year based off of what I've read. You know what you're going to get with Card at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Can you provide links? Genuinely asking, I don't think I've seen that from the outlets I'm subscribed too. He did have a leg up and I'll admit that, but it has also been reported by multiple people that he is still really struggling to hit deep throws.

This was the best decision for the long run. Card has already said he wants to graduate from McCombs before he goes anywhere else, so he will stick around until then.

I’ll try to find the ones I saw. They were buried in other sites. Ketch is full of crap on the recruiting trail, but he’s generally the most plugged in of all the Texas mods I’ve seen when it comes to team info. I know he was saying card. Then hookem was not picking a starter, but saying that in the first scrimmage card was the better player. Also saw reports that Ewers is struggling with the playbook. Like I said I’ll look for links. 

I do think Card was beating out Ewers but outside the field pressure all but guaranteed Ewers would be the guy. Every media outlet is hyping Ewers up like a potential heisman dark horse and that Texas is a completely different program since he arrived in the spring. Even if that’s not the case, if Sark played Card over him people would just be calling for Ewers every second and Sark would be called a fool the first time the offense struggled under card. The outside pressure is just too much to start anyone but Ewers imo. 

The truth is no outlet has talked about this like Ewers ran away with the job. And like mentioned above, everyone thinks Card is not capable. So if Ewers wasn’t just a runaway favorite in terms of how he played in camp (which he wasn’t) I don’t know how anyone is feeling confident that Ewers should be the guy. 

I think it was close and Sark in the end went with his gut instinct. I don't think he wanted to drag it out any longer. I also believe that any coach that will let any outside influence help decide who wins the Qb1 job does not need this job or any high profile coaching job. 

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth...

I haven't read anything that said Card was outplaying Ewers. I have, however, read things that Card was getting a bit more time with the 1's than Ewers. So, my feeling on the announcement is that Sark was trying to give Card the opportunity, given his experience. At the end of the day, however, it was still too close a contest. If you have a close contest between a freshman and junior, you have to then go with the freshman, as his potential upside is much higher. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth...

I haven't read anything that said Card was outplaying Ewers. I have, however, read things that Card was getting a bit more time with the 1's than Ewers. So, my feeling on the announcement is that Sark was trying to give Card the opportunity, given his experience. At the end of the day, however, it was still too close a contest. If you have a close contest between a freshman and junior, you have to then go with the freshman, as his potential upside is much higher. 

I agree, I haven't read anywhere that said Card had outplayed Ewers either ... they both had their moments and have different talents ... at the end of the day, I believe Sark saw more upside to going with Ewers .... Card wasn’t going to get much better and Ewers arm talent and strength won out .... I think it will prove to be a wise choice ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

The truth is no outlet has talked about this like Ewers ran away with the job. And like mentioned above, everyone thinks Card is not capable. So if Ewers wasn’t just a runaway favorite in terms of how he played in camp (which he wasn’t) I don’t know how anyone is feeling confident that Ewers should be the guy. 

The truth is….the sites were saying what they thought, not what Sark told them.  They were guessing.

here’s the deal.  Card starts, he graduates in December, then transfers.  One season.   When all things are relatively equal, go young and build.  Ewers does that.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The truth is….the sites were saying what they thought, not what Sark told them.  They were guessing.

here’s the deal.  Card starts, he graduates in December, then transfers.  One season.   When all things are relatively equal, go young and build.  Ewers does that.  

That’s fair. I’m all for playing the youngster. But that doesn’t really change what I said. Nobody has been saying Ewers is outplaying card. Ketch, 247, Josh pate, and others were saying card was outplaying Ewers. I’ll dig up the quotes if y’all want but as of Wednesday a couple of sources we all talking about it being a neck and neck battle with a slight edge to card. my point is you know what you have in Card. If Ewers isn’t standing out from that I do not think Ewers will be elite. Not this year at least. 

20 minutes ago, WETSU said:

That’s fair. I’m all for playing the youngster. But that doesn’t really change what I said. Nobody has been saying Ewers is outplaying card. Ketch, 247, Josh pate, and others were saying card was outplaying Ewers. I’ll dig up the quotes if y’all want but as of Wednesday a couple of sources we all talking about it being a neck and neck battle with a slight edge to card. my point is you know what you have in Card. If Ewers isn’t standing out from that I do not think Ewers will be elite. Not this year at least. 

Just what I said…..they thought card was outplaying Ewers.  I read all the quotes, no need to look them up.  

23 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Just what I said…..they thought card was outplaying Ewers.  I read all the quotes, no need to look them up.  

This isn’t just one publication making a bad judgement. Nearly every outlet thought this… Were they all just that far off? Is it not possible Sark is choosing the lesser of the two QBs right now in hopes for the potential to come through?

This just has a applewhite simms feel to it where the off the field hype/name dictates playing time more than the actual on the field results. 

3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This isn’t just one publication making a bad judgement. Nearly every outlet thought this… Were they all just that far off? Is it not possible Sark is choosing the lesser of the two QBs right now in hopes for the potential to come through?

This just has a applewhite simms feel to it where the off the field hype/name dictates playing time more than the actual on the field results. 

You’re trying to make something out of nithing

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This doesn’t come anywhere close to comparing to Applewhite and Simms. Everyone knew Applewhite was better. Most agree that Card is not. So if anything, this is the literal opposite of Applewhite and Simms. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

This doesn’t come anywhere close to comparing to Applewhite and Simms. Everyone knew Applewhite was better. Most agree that Card is not. So if anything, this is the literal opposite of Applewhite and Simms. 

But why does everyone think Ewers is better is my point. He hasn’t taken a real snap. And even still why haven’t the reports been how he’s running away with the job? They have in fact been the opposite. Multiple outlets reports as little as 2 days ago that card was looking like the guy. 

My point is how can you say this is the opposite of applewhite/simms when we haven’t seen anything and the only people who have seen practices are saying this seems like a very similar situation. 

• Mr. P locked this topic