Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

36 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You’re trying to make something out of nithing

I’m just talking football. There aren’t many interesting storylines right now with so few QB battles being announced and no actual games being played. 

6 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So why imply that sark is doing what he’s being told?

Because literally 12 hours before this announcement he did a interview saying there was no qb decision and they would battle it out this week. Then when the announcement was made it was by the Texas athletic media department, not sark himself. He could have announced this during the interview instead of saying a decision wouldn’t be made until next week. 

12 minutes ago, WETSU said:

But why does everyone think Ewers is better is my point. He hasn’t taken a real snap. And even still why haven’t the reports been how he’s running away with the job? They have in fact been the opposite. Multiple outlets reports as little as 2 days ago that card was looking like the guy. 

My point is how can you say this is the opposite of applewhite/simms when we haven’t seen anything and the only people who have seen practices are saying this seems like a very similar situation. 

I’m not saying Ewers is better. Until I get to see him play, I have no idea. I’m simply saying it’s not the same situation as Applewhite and Simms. 
Applewhite was a 2 year starter, and very good. So good, in fact, that he’d already set many Texas records. Card has been in Austin for 2 years, but that’s where his similarity with Applewhite ends. 

3. One person I spoke with in the last hour who has spoken with the Texas coaches this week and was hearing the same thing I reported, believes that the report last night changed the dynamics of the situation. He can't explain with facts how it definitely did change things, but he certainly believes it.

this is a quote from ketch a short while ago that was deleted. Why would Ketch (possibly the biggest homer in the business) put this sort of statement out there that implies that Texas is having outside sources influence this decision. 

1 minute ago, Lobo97 said:

I’m not saying Ewers is better. Until I get to see him play, I have no idea. I’m simply saying it’s not the same situation as Applewhite and Simms. 
Applewhite was a 2 year starter, and very good. So good, in fact, that he’d already set many Texas records. Card has been in Austin for 2 years, but that’s where his similarity with Applewhite ends. 

That’s fair. 

5 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Card was not going to be the starter after his performance last season as much as anything.  Ewers has the better arm and accuracy and has far more upside than Card ... I think most everyone knew all along Ewers was going to be the starter barring any major flaws or hickups  .... no surprise here and Sark got ahead of the nay sayers naming Ewers the starter this early ....

Sark had to think about the future. Choosing Card would have had ramifications into next year and beyond. A third QB competition would have occurred in '23 which if Ewers won that would affect how long he would stay and thus create a competition with Manning in '24.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WETSU said:

But why does everyone think Ewers is better is my point. He hasn’t taken a real snap. And even still why haven’t the reports been how he’s running away with the job? They have in fact been the opposite. Multiple outlets reports as little as 2 days ago that card was looking like the guy. 

My point is how can you say this is the opposite of applewhite/simms when we haven’t seen anything and the only people who have seen practices are saying this seems like a very similar situation. 

To me they are equal and if they are equal you take the underclassman for the extra experience he will get down the road. Another factor is down field capability. Sark wants to run an offense that stresses the defense at every point on the field. Ewers can do that, Card can't, his completion percentage plummets at 20+ down the field. Also see the above post about the future.

27 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Because literally 12 hours before this announcement he did a interview saying there was no qb decision and they would battle it out this week. Then when the announcement was made it was by the Texas athletic media department, not sark himself. He could have announced this during the interview instead of saying a decision wouldn’t be made until next week. 

Per ESPN

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian told ESPN earlier this week that he had "an idea" of who would be the team's starting quarterback, and would tell the team soon. 

Ewers, in a tweet earlier this week, hinted an announcement was coming Friday

32 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Dang, you keep up with Texas football more than some Texas fans,

• LOL! 1

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Dang, you keep up with Texas football more than some Texas fans,

I do. But that’s because I love the game. I typically know more about LSU than most their fans as well. OU is really the only regional team I don’t really care to follow. 

19 minutes ago, Baron said:

To me they are equal and if they are equal you take the underclassman for the extra experience he will get down the road. Another factor is down field capability. Sark wants to run an offense that stresses the defense at every point on the field. Ewers can do that, Card can't, his completion percentage plummets at 20+ down the field. Also see the above post about the future.

Oh I completely understand the reasoning for going with Ewers. It’s what I would do as well. But the timing and the details of the announcement are just weird. The comments made by sark Thursday, the way it was announced after a press conference by someone other than sark and in a very “oh btw the starter is Ewers” kind of way, and the fact that most Texas outlets were hearing Card as late as Wednesday, just make this all seem forced to me. That’s all I’m saying. I completely understand why you go with Ewers if the two are 50/50. 

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Oh I completely understand the reasoning for going with Ewers. It’s what I would do as well. But the timing and the details of the announcement are just weird. The comments made by sark Thursday, the way it was announced after a press conference by someone other than sark and in a very “oh btw the starter is Ewers” kind of way, and the fact that most Texas outlets were hearing Card as late as Wednesday, just make this all seem forced to me. That’s all I’m saying. I completely understand why you go with Ewers if the two are 50/50. 

If you completely understand it, then what point are you trying to make in questioning it?  I think I know, but want you to say the real reason 

5 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

If you completely understand it, then what point are you trying to make in questioning it?  I think I know, but want you to say the real reason 

Im not questioning Ewers being named the starter. I’m questioning who made the decision. Did Sark make it or was he told what to do. It wouldn’t be the first time a Texas starting QB was named by boosters rather than the coach. Honestly it happens at lots of programs I’m sure. I think that was part of Lincoln’s choice to leave as well. 

I just don’t understand why most Texas media was talking up card as the guy Wednesday just to have Ewers announced Friday morning after a Sark press conference on Thursday where he publicly stated the decision was not going to be made until next week. I’m sure there’s a good explanation, but surely you understand how this looks right. Having just watched a similar situation go down in both OU and A&M with Kyler Murray, it certainly has that feel to it. 

48 minutes ago, Baron said:

I don't think they are equal at all .... mostly for the very reasons you just stated .... Ewers has the better arm and is overall a better passer .... that sets him apart from Card .... the key is can the offensive line give him time to throw and protect him .... It’s obvious WETSU is stirring the pot and hopes Ewers fails .... A&M doesn't have a blue chip top rated QB prospect ... the Horns have one on the field and another on the way ... that's why he's "rooting" for Card over Ewers .... Sark made the right call even though the aggie fans don't want to see his choice succeed .... Ewers will have a couple of great years and go to the NFL as a first round draft pick and Manning will step in and pick up where Ewers left off ....

• Thanks 4

This is about not wanting to break a kid’s competitive spirit in Card. Former players and current players have said the talent level isn’t close. The one thing hurting Ewers right now is he thinks he can make every throw regardless of window size. He’s cocky like Manziel, but he doesn’t have the same wheels to get away from the defense. He’s going to struggle with a developing OL, and he will make some dumb throws. But he will also make some great throws. Bottom line is the media got played wanting to be the first to report news from their sources. Ketch is a ####, and I’m glad he got it wrong. Many simply followed his lead. Don’t give him credit by allowing him to play the “something seems fishy” story line. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

I don't think they are equal at all .... mostly for the very reasons you just stated .... Ewers has the better arm and is overall a better passer .... that sets him apart from Card .... the key is can the offensive line give him time to throw and protect him .... It’s obvious WETSU is stirring the pot and hopes Ewers fails .... A&M doesn't have a blue chip top rated QB prospect ... the Horns have one on the field and another on the way ... that's why he's "rooting" for Card over Ewers .... Sark made the right call even though the aggie fans don't want to see his choice succeed .... Ewers will have a couple of great years and go to the NFL as a first round draft pick and Manning will step in and pick up where Ewers left off ....

The Aggies do have a blue chip QB in Conner Weigman. They’re just not in a situation where he is forced to play as a true freshman. 

3 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Bottom line is the media got played wanting to be the first to report news from their sources. Ketch is a ####, and I’m glad he got it wrong. Many simply followed his lead. Don’t give him credit by allowing him to play the “something seems fishy” story line. 

100% 🤣

16 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

The Aggies do have a blue chip QB in Conner Weigman. They’re just not in a situation where he is forced to play as a true freshman. 

Maybe so, but I'll bet he wishes he went the baseball ⚾️ route before he's through  ....

21 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Exactly. Weigman is elite in his own right. A 5 star coming out who turned down MLB money as well. 

4 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Maybe so, but I'll bet he wishes he went the baseball ⚾️ route before he's through  ....

Why? Reports are he’s playing extremely well. It’s just like above said, he’s not needed yet. 

• Mr. P locked this topic