Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

They might, but I have been to about 20-30 games in Norman over the years and I have never seen the opposing band there. I am sure opposing bands come, but I have never witnessed it in person.

I was at the Arkansas game this weekend and Cincy didn't bring their band either. It really makes more sense imo

12 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Noticed a couple of Texas fans picking Texas to pull the upset over Bama in the pick ‘em. You guys really believe that or is it one of those I’ll never bet against my team sort of things? 

I actually believe UT is gonna be in it late. Oh sure, the Tide will probably tack on a couple cosmetic scores, but I bet the outcome will still be unknown into the 4th. 

I think Ewers has a big arm and is gonna take some chances that won't show up on film. I think Bijan is an NFL halfback who's still playing college ball. I think Alabama's line and running game are still working out the kinks. I think weird things happen at DKR (good and bad for UT). 

No, I don't think UT wins, but I bet they give 'Bama a bit of a scare. 

My take on Texas-Alabama...

When Texas played Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, no one thought Texas had a chance. Everyone thought Georgia was going to let out their frustration on Texas and beat them by 30 points. Then the game was played (and this is why you play the game). Texas dominated. The final score did not indicate just how much Texas dominated that game.

Then the following year came, and LSU visited Austin. Again, no one thought Texas had a chance and would get blown out of the stadium. Texas put up over 500 yards of offense, left 10 points off the board, and lost by 7. 

Then every year, when it's recruiting season, every NON Texas fan wants to admit that it isn't a talent problem at Texas. They have plenty of talent. They close one of the top classes every year. The problem is coaching. yada yada yada. 

Yet here we are again, with Texas going up against another top program, and people once again want to forget that they themselves have admitted that Texas has talent, and go solely to the same argument, "Texas has no chance. Texas is going to get blown out of the stadium. Texas is going to get embarrassed." yada yada yada. 

Yes, Texas lost 7 games last year. Yes, they lost to Kansas. You have no problem remembering those things, but forget that very team had a 21 point lead against OU, before the QB folded in the second half (something we've now seen is a him issue, as he's now doing the same at Nebraska). A 14 point lead against OSU, before same said QB folded yet again. An 11 point lead at Baylor, same story. By the time this team gets to the Kansas game, the entire team had already quit on the season. 

This team has talent. There's no denying that. Will they win Saturday against Alabama? The odds are absolutely against them, but let's stop acting like Alabama is unbeatable here as well. And even if Bama wins, to think it'll be by 30 points, that's what I find laughable. Don't be surprised if Texas makes this a competitive game. 

Remember, everyone thought A&M was going to get blown out of the stadium in 2012 too. (and yes, I'm well aware that Texas doesn't have Johnny Manziel on the roster). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I actually believe UT is gonna be in it late. Oh sure, the Tide will probably tack on a couple cosmetic scores, but I bet the outcome will still be unknown into the 4th. 

I think Ewers has a big arm and is gonna take some chances that won't show up on film. I think Bijan is an NFL halfback who's still playing college ball. I think Alabama's line and running game are still working out the kinks. I think weird things happen at DKR (good and bad for UT). 

No, I don't think UT wins, but I bet they give 'Bama a bit of a scare. 

You beat Bama the way manziel did.  With your feet or threat of your feet.  Take them out of their defensive strategy and give them something they can’t gameplan for.  

I don’t see it happening, but I cheer for anyone to shake up the CFB landscape.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 10:01 PM, cotton84 said:

I hope we win by 50 next week, but I see Vegas putting the line around 27……….And if I was a Bama fan, I would not be afraid of that line……….Take away the Horns longest run next week, whatever that is, and I don’t see us averaging more than 1.5 a rush…………..Can we win 10 games, not out of the question, but I would take 9-3 in the regular season right now. 

That's selling Bijan short. He is a generational talent. Yes Alabama's Front seven is formidable, but the Texas OL is improved. For crying out loud Utah St averaged more than 1.5.

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

When Texas played Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, no one thought Texas had a chance. Everyone thought Georgia was going to let out their frustration on Texas and beat them by 30 points. Then the game was played (and this is why you play the game). Texas dominated. The final score did not indicate just how much Texas dominated that game.

Then the following year came, and LSU visited Austin. Again, no one thought Texas had a chance and would get blown out of the stadium. Texas put up over 500 yards of offense, left 10 points off the board, and lost by 7. 

Then every year, when it's recruiting season, every NON Texas fan wants to admit that it isn't a talent problem at Texas. They have plenty of talent. They close one of the top classes every year. The problem is coaching. yada yada yada. 

Yet here we are again, with Texas going up against another top program, and people once again want to forget that they themselves have admitted that Texas has talent, and go solely to the same argument, "Texas has no chance. Texas is going to get blown out of the stadium. Texas is going to get embarrassed." yada yada yada. 

Yes, Texas lost 7 games last year. Yes, they lost to Kansas. You have no problem remembering those things, but forget that very team had a 21 point lead against OU, before the QB folded in the second half (something we've now seen is a him issue, as he's now doing the same at Nebraska). A 14 point lead against OSU, before same said QB folded yet again. An 11 point lead at Baylor, same story. By the time this team gets to the Kansas game, the entire team had already quit on the season. 

This team has talent. There's no denying that. Will they win Saturday against Alabama? The odds are absolutely against them, but let's stop acting like Alabama is unbeatable here as well. And even if Bama wins, to think it'll be by 30 points, that's what I find laughable. Don't be surprised if Texas makes this a competitive game. 

Remember, everyone thought A&M was going to get blown out of the stadium in 2012 too. (and yes, I'm well aware that Texas doesn't have Johnny Manziel on the roster). 

Some of that is very good points. Some of it is not. Is it really laughable to see that Texas could lose by 30? I’m not predicting that, but to say laughable is not accurate. There are plenty of scenarios where Texas is run on of the building just like there are plenty of scenarios that Texas wins. To say that Bama is not capable of beating Texas by 30 is the laughable part. they absolutely are good enough to route anyone. And Texas has enough holes and inexperience to get routed. 

That 2012 team you’re talking about had a heisman winner and 5 first round selections starting on offense. Does Texas have that? Sure maybe, but you can’t compare the two just yet. 

I was not asking my question to bash Texas here. I absolutely think there are scenarios they can win. Unlikely but everyone is beatable. I was just curious if you guys truly felt that confident to predict a win or if it was just a loyalty thing. I’ve picked A&M in games that I knew in my heart they likely lose just because I didn’t want to pick against my team. 

1 hour ago, Baron said:

That's selling Bijan short. He is a generational talent. Yes Alabama's Front seven is formidable, but the Texas OL is improved. For crying out loud Utah St averaged more than 1.5.

I always tend to take season openers stats against scrubs with a grain of salt. Kent state ran the ball all over A&M to start the season last year, A&M finished with the 3rd ranked defense in the country. Season openers are usually very vanilla play calling with backups playing the entire second half after a lead. 

I agree Texas gets more than 1.5, but I don’t think Utah st is any indication of what Texas will see vs Bama. 

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Some of that is very good points. Some of it is not. Is it really laughable to see that Texas could lose by 30? I’m not predicting that, but to say laughable is not accurate. There are plenty of scenarios where Texas is run on of the building just like there are plenty of scenarios that Texas wins. To say that Bama is not capable of beating Texas by 30 is the laughable part. they absolutely are good enough to route anyone. And Texas has enough holes and inexperience to get routed. 

That 2012 team you’re talking about had a heisman winner and 5 first round selections starting on offense. Does Texas have that? Sure maybe, but you can’t compare the two just yet. 

I was not asking my question to bash Texas here. I absolutely think there are scenarios they can win. Unlikely but everyone is beatable. I was just curious if you guys truly felt that confident to predict a win or if it was just a loyalty thing. I’ve picked A&M in games that I knew in my heart they likely lose just because I didn’t want to pick against my team. 

I should’ve better explained what I meant when I said predicting Bama to win by 30 was laughable. Yes, I agree with you completely that they’re absolutely capable of doing so. Believing they’re capable of winning by 30, and then predicting them to win by 30, are two different things. Predicting them to win by 30 says that you think Texas has absolutely no chance, not only to win, but to not even belong on the same field. That’s what I think is laughable. 

I think Alabama winning is the most likely outcome here. I also believe Texas will make it a competitive game. 

13 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I should’ve better explained what I meant when I said predicting Bama to win by 30 was laughable. Yes, I agree with you completely that they’re absolutely capable of doing so. Believing they’re capable of winning by 30, and then predicting them to win by 30, are two different things. Predicting them to win by 30 says that you think Texas has absolutely no chance, not only to win, but to not even belong on the same field. That’s what I think is laughable. 

I think Alabama winning is the most likely outcome here. I also believe Texas will make it a competitive game. 

I agree with that. I don’t anticipate a blowout either. Not by 30. I’m thinking 14-17. Really just depends on turnovers I think. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

Noticed a couple of Texas fans picking Texas to pull the upset over Bama in the pick ‘em. You guys really believe that or is it one of those I’ll never bet against my team sort of things? 

Did you expect/pick the Aggies to beat them last year?  

45 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Did you expect/pick the Aggies to beat them last year?  

No. I picked Alabama in the pick ‘em. I did expect closer than the 19 point spread but I was not expecting a win. Even the drive down to CS the night before I was telling my wife how I just didn’t want to see the type of loss in year 4 where you know there’s no coming back from it. Sumlins 59-0 loss at Bama just a few years prior had a similar feel to it going in. 

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

No. I picked Alabama in the pick ‘em. I did expect closer than the 19 point spread but I was not expecting a win. Even the drive down to CS the night before I was telling my wife how I just didn’t want to see the type of loss in year 4 where you know there’s no coming back from it. Sumlins 59-0 loss at Bama just a few years prior had a similar feel to it going in. 

I think anybody picking Texas is picking with their heart, not their head.  I think Texas has a 20-30% chance to win, and really just hope to no see them be competitive.  

in sark’s second year, he’s starting a Redshirt freshman at qb.  Not ideal but it speaks to the talent, or lack thereof, he inherited.  

• Like 1

I absolutely chose Texas in the pickem because I never pick against them. I never put money on my favorite teams in any sport. 
I can see a scenario where this game is in doubt in the 4th quarter. I don’t believe Texas can play this like the LSU game a few years ago. Texas can’t match scoring with Bama, this game is all about how much the defense has improved since last year. Bama has their least experience group along the oline, Gibbs is a good back but he’s not Najee Harris, their best WR is the freshman slot, and obviously Bryce Young is incredible. 

If Texas is in this game late it’s because of the defense and after last season that’s scary. Haha

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Couldn't agree with this more. I picked Bama in the pick em, but I do think Texas could win this game just like Bama could blow them out. I wouldn't be a true fan if I yelled less louder for this game than the other 10.

Bama wasn't that dominant on the road last year by any means. Florida took them down to the wire in the Swamp, Auburn took them to 4 OT's at Jordan Hare, A&M beat them at Kyle Field. Now, they could very well roll into DKR and beat Texas like a drum, but couldn't that happen to anybody at any game? The spread for the A&M game last year was 19, and I'm pretty sure we were saying the same thing going into that game that we are here. Nobody thought A&M really had a chance, but that's why you play the game. 

On a side note, I didn't realize how much of a problem Thompson was until I now see him in a different uniform. Granted Nebraska and Frost are garbage with or without him, but man, it seems like the kid struggles with any kind of adversity.

I am a little concerned about the Longhorns not getting Bijan loose more where they are racking up some yards...

the yards could be tough to come by this week...

if we become one dimensional because we can't gain yards on the ground, being a smart, great team like Alabama will tighten down even more on passing where some points come off defensive turnovers

• Mr. P locked this topic