Longhorns 2022 Thread

Stoney

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I just noticed something and we should all be questioning ourselves.

When the UT defense played well against Alabama it was all because of GP; all credit went to Patterson and very little to none to PK.

The UT defensive game plan was questionable at TTU and they just couldn’t get off the field; all the responsibility fell on PK and no one asked why GP wasn’t advising PK differently during the game.

The Texas defensive backs were playing too far off the receivers early in the game and were getting eaten alive with the short quick passes. That, in my opinion, was the biggest problem defensively .... we were practically giving them first downs ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Good day to be a Longhorn. 

Second half wasn’t pretty, but got the W.  DC needs to figure out that when their opponent is in obvious passing situations it’s perfectly legal and acceptable to jam WRs at the line of scrimmage and send pressure.  I get sick of 3rd and 8’s being converted with 7-8 in zone coverage (2-3 being 12-15 yds past the sticks).  It’s the same old crap.  Offensive playcalling was a bit better and aggressive in the second half, but the execution was poor.  The defense needs to be fixed quickly.  Beating West Virginia isn’t nothing to boast about.  They’ll be lucky to finish 5-7.  28 pts in the first half and 10 in the second.  That still doesn’t scream they know how to put a team away.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Second half wasn’t pretty, but got the W.  DC needs to figure out that when their opponent is in obvious passing situations it’s perfectly legal and acceptable to jam WRs at the line of scrimmage and send pressure.  I get sick of 3rd and 8’s being converted with 7-8 in zone coverage (2-3 being 12-15 yds past the sticks).  It’s the same old crap.  Offensive playcalling was a bit better and aggressive in the second half, but the execution was poor.  The defense needs to be fixed quickly.  Beating West Virginia isn’t nothing to boast about.  They’ll be lucky to finish 5-7.  28 pts in the first half and 10 in the second.  That still doesn’t scream they know how to put a team away.  

WVU was aided in the second half with 2 questionable penalties that extended drives; the flop by the WVU receiver and the roughing the passer call.

The offensive playcalling was fine in the second half but execution was off.  Card missed a wide-open RoJo that hampered the drive.  Another failing was an early possession in the second half that called back a nice reception due to a hold and a subsequent blocking in the back.  I have not looked at the replay but it was close to being inside of the tackle box.

3 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

WVU was aided in the second half with 2 questionable penalties that extended drives; the flop by the WVU receiver and the roughing the passer call.

The offensive playcalling was fine in the second half but execution was off.  Card missed a wide-open RoJo that hampered the drive.  Another failing was an early possession in the second half that called back a nice reception due to a hold and a subsequent blocking in the back.  I have not looked at the replay but it was close to being inside of the tackle box.

Tonight was a game that should’ve been a blowout.  The same issues were there, maybe not in the same magnitude.  Offensive playcalling was better in the second half, brut execution was lacking.  Defense was still atrocious, staying on the field for 16 and 14 play drives.  Good thing West Virginia was ok with killing clock most of the second half while down 28.  The missed throw to RoJo was an excellent play design, but card missed it.  That play likely extended a drive.  I’d have to rewatch, but don’t recall and deep plays trying to stretch the defense in the second half.

55 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Texas had 3 possessions in the entire second half. I’m not worried about the offense. I was happy to see Card take more shots down the field though. Worthy needed a game that built up his confidence and this game was it. 

I agree that the defense was shaky second half, but Sark put out the second stringers real early tonight. Not sure the reason but Michael Taaffe was playing safety in the second quarter. West Virginia was down by 4 touchdowns and milking the clock in the second half. I think the defense had the mindset of not giving up big plays. In the 3rd quarter, WV got the ball with over 6 minutes left and finally scored right at the start of the fourth quarter. That’s totally fine with me in a game like tonight. 38-20 seems a lot closer than it actually was and the people watching know that. 

A W is a W and nobody is hurt. At this point I’ll take it. 

8 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Game never was in doubt 🧐 28-7 ah halftime, 38-20 final (we know it easily could have been 44 or 52). I'll celebrate a win yesterday, today or tomorrow. A W is a W, but we're not the team to get opponents by like 70+ if that's what you're expecting.

***I'll take the over on 5-7 season

UT’s remaining schedule is pretty tough. 

We all know OU just got smoked, but that means very little when it comes to the Red River Shootout.

TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Baylor, and yes, Kansas are all quality teams.

If Texas plays like they did last night they’ll be in position to win each game.

🤘🏻

Edited by HearEmaGrowlin

9 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Texas had 3 possessions in the entire second half. I’m not worried about the offense. I was happy to see Card take more shots down the field though. Worthy needed a game that built up his confidence and this game was it. 

I agree that the defense was shaky second half, but Sark put out the second stringers real early tonight. Not sure the reason but Michael Taaffe was playing safety in the second quarter. West Virginia was down by 4 touchdowns and milking the clock in the second half. I think the defense had the mindset of not giving up big plays. In the 3rd quarter, WV got the ball with over 6 minutes left and finally scored right at the start of the fourth quarter. That’s totally fine with me in a game like tonight. 38-20 seems a lot closer than it actually was and the people watching know that. 

A W is a W and nobody is hurt. At this point I’ll take it. 

Honestly card has played well enough for Texas to be 5-0.  The defense gave up 9/18 on third downs and 3/5 on 4th downs.  That still has to get better.  The defense look pretty good most of the downs and kept the mountaineers in 3rd and long often.  They just have to get off the field then.  

yes, a win is a win, but the ailments are still there.  I want to see them fixed.  I was glad to see sark not go ultra conservative offensively in the second half.  

1 hour ago, iRockNewbzz said:

Game never was in doubt 🧐 28-7 ah halftime, 38-20 final (we know it easily could have been 44 or 52). I'll celebrate a win yesterday, today or tomorrow. A W is a W, but we're not the team to get opponents by like 70+ if that's what you're expecting.

***I'll take the over on 5-7 season

I’m not one that all is well because we won.  The issues are still there

25 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

UT’s remaining schedule is pretty tough. 

We all know OU just got smoked, but that means very little when it comes to the Red River Shootout.

TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Baylor, and yes, Kansas are all quality teams.

If Texas plays like they did last night they’ll be in position to win each game.

🤘🏻

Ou may be without their QB a while.  
Texas will have to play 4 full quarters like they did the first half last night the rest of the year.  

I watched the Baylor/Okie State game and most of the TCU game. They are all legit teams with speed at the WR positions. Texas’ secondary is going to have to improve a bit along with a serious pass rush to help the DBs and LBs.

Hopefully having Ewers back will help but Texas is still going to have to play their best football each week to have a shot at a win.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Honestly card has played well enough for Texas to be 5-0.  The defense gave up 9/18 on third downs and 3/5 on 4th downs.  That still has to get better.  The defense look pretty good most of the downs and kept the mountaineers in 3rd and long often.  They just have to get off the field then.  

yes, a win is a win, but the ailments are still there.  I want to see them fixed.  I was glad to see sark not go ultra conservative offensively in the second half.  

I agree with you on ailments. I think the defense played better as far tackling, run defense, and getting a few sacks. But the zone coverage on 3rd downs is eating us alive. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I agree with you on ailments. I think the defense played better as far tackling, run defense, and getting a few sacks. But the zone coverage on 3rd downs is eating us alive. 

Run defense has been solid most of the  year.  Ford is proving to be an All Conference type.  Dude can play.  He gets overshadowed by the flash the media puts on Agent0, but ford brings his lunch pail to work.  The DL is good at eating double teams in the run game and getting home some.  Tackling has definitely improved.  Pass rush definitely needs to get more sacks and force immobile qbs from the pocket.  3rd  AND 4th down efficiency are killing the D though

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

This is probably the best that Texas has felt about this game since 2005?

If a Charlie Strong team with Jerrod Heard at QB can beat a playoff OU team, then a Venables team with some guy named Bollweevil or whatever at QB can definately beat Sark.

• Mr. P locked this topic