72 Percent Believe Students Should Be Taught American Exceptionalism AND ‘Truth About Slavery’

RETIREDFAN1

I think they should be too, but in regards to slavery it should be taught about every country in the world that has practiced it not just America.  In my opinion CRT wants to teach that slavery only happened in America when we inherited the horrible practice from the British.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think they should be too, but in regards to slavery it should be taught about every country in the world that has practiced it not just America.  In my opinion CRT wants to teach that slavery only happened in America when we inherited the horrible practice from the British.  

When exactly was the last time you’ve been in a classroom to see whether or not they don’t teach about slavery in other countries?  Also, what makes you think that CRT teaches that?  Just curious as to how your opinion got formed. I mean is it from seeing actual teachers teaching it or are you just making it up. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PepeSilvia said:

When exactly was the last time you’ve been in a classroom to see whether or not they don’t teach about slavery in other countries?  Also, what makes you think that CRT teaches that?  Just curious as to how your opinion got formed. I mean is it from seeing actual teachers teaching it or are you just making it up. 

Making it up.

21 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

First off, that version of CRT was made up by conservative politicians. Secondly, that is NOT how it's taught in schools. So in U.S. History, they should teach about slavery ALL over the world? What's world history for then? As a matter of fact. You think 1781 is the first time the history books bring up slavery. The trans continental slave trade is a major part of the TEKS.

14 hours ago, PepeSilvia said:

Just read their outline online, and you'll see what CRT teaches.  I have also read many History textbooks not just High School but College, and the slave trade for many other countries is rarely mentioned or it's just a few paragraphs.  

2 hours ago, ctown81 said:

First off, that version of CRT was made up by conservative politicians. Secondly, that is NOT how it's taught in schools. So in U.S. History, they should teach about slavery ALL over the world? What's world history for then? As a matter of fact. You think 1781 is the first time the history books bring up slavery. The trans continental slave trade is a major part of the TEKS.

I went directly to their website, and not what some conservative politician said.  As I've stated I've read both High School and College World History not just U.S. History.  U.S. History books only mention slavery that the Brits started and America kept.  I haven't seen a TEKS test, but I doubt slave trade as practiced in the past and even today is a major part of it.  I would bet that their might be at most 10 questions about it. 

2 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I went directly to their website, and not what some conservative politician said.  As I've stated I've read both High School and College World History not just U.S. History.  U.S. History books only mention slavery that the Brits started and America kept.  I haven't seen a TEKS test, but I doubt slave trade as practiced in the past and even today is a major part of it.  I would bet that their might be at most 10 questions about it. 

Not trying to be funny, but the fact you don't know what teks are let's me know you have not really researched this. 

In U. S. History it makes sense to talk about the British. Besides, the US was one of the last developed countries to get rid of it. In what context would they talk about others. 

As for world history, I know for a fact not just British and US slavery are talked about. 

With all that being said, what do other countries have to do with us? 

11 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Not trying to be funny, but the fact you don't know what teks are let's me know you have not really researched this. 

In U. S. History it makes sense to talk about the British. Besides, the US was one of the last developed countries to get rid of it. In what context would they talk about others. 

As for world history, I know for a fact not just British and US slavery are talked about. 

We have had discussions about Thomas Jefferson. Thought you would find this interesting. ALso you are 100% correct. Shame U.S. was one of the last 

1806 21px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281795%E United States In a message to Congress, Thomas Jefferson calls for criminalizing the international slave trade, asking Congress to "withdraw the citizens of the United States from all further participation in those violations of human rights ... which the morality, the reputation, and the best of our country have long been eager to proscribe."
1807 International slave trade made a felony in Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves; this act takes effect on 1 January 1808, the earliest date permitted under the Constitution.[81]
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, osup116 said:

We have had discussions about Thomas Jefferson. Thought you would find this interesting. ALso you are 100% correct. Shame U.S. was one of the last 

1806 21px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281795%E United States In a message to Congress, Thomas Jefferson calls for criminalizing the international slave trade, asking Congress to "withdraw the citizens of the United States from all further participation in those violations of human rights ... which the morality, the reputation, and the best of our country have long been eager to proscribe."
1807 International slave trade made a felony in Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves; this act takes effect on 1 January 1808, the earliest date permitted under the Constitution.[81]

Way too many lives were lost in the process of ending it. 

Everytime I see the following quote, my eyes roll. 

"withdraw the citizens of the United States from all further participation in those violations of human rights ... which the morality, the reputation, and the best of our country have long been eager to proscribe."

Definitely a top 5 contradiction. 

20 hours ago, ctown81 said:

It's similar to the STARRS test I took in High School.  Slavery is still practiced throughout the world more so in Africa.  I've posted that map twice.  People for some reason today still want to harp on and on about slavery in the States that hasn't been practiced in almost 160 years.  I never heard a word about slavery in High School World History in Asia except the use of the caste system which is a form of slavery.  Slavery is still legal in China, India, Russia, Indonesia, North Korea, Yemen, Afghanistan, Nigeria, Uzbekistan, Congo, Pakistan, Sudan, The Dominican Republic, The Philippines, and Guatemala. I would say that China, India, and Russia are developed countries, but you don't hear a word about those countries that still practice it.  If slavery is going to be discussed then it should show that America wasn't the only country that practiced it.  I would bet if you polled most High School and College students that most would say that it was only practiced in the United States.  It's still practiced in the U.S. even though it's illegal and it's done by pimps and people that enslave their nannies or housekeepers usually from other countries.  

4 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Way too many lives were lost in the process of ending it. 

Everytime I see the following quote, my eyes roll. 

"withdraw the citizens of the United States from all further participation in those violations of human rights ... which the morality, the reputation, and the best of our country have long been eager to proscribe."

Definitely a top 5 contradiction. 

You do understand what proscribe means don't you.  The only way Jefferson contradicted this was by owning slaves himself.  He did make it manifest in the Declaration of Independence that all men should be free.  Had it not been for South Carolina it probably would have been done away with.  

13 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

You do understand what proscribe means don't you.  The only way Jefferson contradicted this was by owning slaves himself.  He did make it manifest in the Declaration of Independence that all men should be free.  Had it not been for South Carolina it probably would have been done away with.  

proscribed- forbid, especially by law. Now I did have to look it up before my initial reply lol. He wasn't talking about forbidding slavery, he was talking about forbidding the international slave trade b/c it was a violation of human rights. Yes, that's definitely a contradiction when slavery was allowed to continue.

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

It's similar to the STARRS test I took in High School.  Slavery is still practiced throughout the world more so in Africa.  I've posted that map twice.  People for some reason today still want to harp on and on about slavery in the States that hasn't been practiced in almost 160 years.  I never heard a word about slavery in High School World History in Asia except the use of the caste system which is a form of slavery.  Slavery is still legal in China, India, Russia, Indonesia, North Korea, Yemen, Afghanistan, Nigeria, Uzbekistan, Congo, Pakistan, Sudan, The Dominican Republic, The Philippines, and Guatemala. I would say that China, India, and Russia are developed countries, but you don't hear a word about those countries that still practice it.  If slavery is going to be discussed then it should show that America wasn't the only country that practiced it.  I would bet if you polled most High School and College students that most would say that it was only practiced in the United States.  It's still practiced in the U.S. even though it's illegal and it's done by pimps and people that enslave their nannies or housekeepers usually from other countries.  

I didn't look up all of the countries but slavery is not legal in Russia and India. Most of the countries on your list are not considered developed countries .Not saying that slavery doesn't exist in these countries. Just never seen it legal anywhere. My question to you is this. Are we supposed to feel better about U.S. slavery b/c it happened other places?

As for the TEKS, it's not a test. It's what's tested. If you ever won't to know what's being taught in Texas schools, just google it and it will tell you. Conservatives (i know the left does to) rely on fear tactics to sway voters. CRT is a boogeyman and if people looked up what they actually taught and are required teach, they'll see how full of it these politicians are.

2 hours ago, ctown81 said:

I didn't look up all of the countries but slavery is not legal in Russia and India. Most of the countries on your list are not considered developed countries .Not saying that slavery doesn't exist in these countries. Just never seen it legal anywhere. My question to you is this. Are we supposed to feel better about U.S. slavery b/c it happened other places?

As for the TEKS, it's not a test. It's what's tested. If you ever won't to know what's being taught in Texas schools, just google it and it will tell you. Conservatives (i know the left does to) rely on fear tactics to sway voters. CRT is a boogeyman and if people looked up what they actually taught and are required teach, they'll see how full of it these politicians are.

The United States of America existed as a nation for less than 100 years before fighting a terribly deadly conflict to end it.  Thomas Jefferson knew that ending the slave trade was the first step he could take to move the US away from practicing slavery.  

Nobody should feel good about slavery, but we also shouldn't condemn the US in ways we don't condemn other countries who did the same thing.  Sadly, it was the norm, and it took a lot of courage and sacrifice to end.

Modern day slavery is still occurring even in places it is illegal.  There are more people in slavery now than at any time in history.  Let's try to do something about that!!!

• Like 1

Ya'll wanna blame someone for the spread of slavery in the United States, I have a name for you--Eli Whitney. At the time of his invention, slavery was in the process of declining. But his machine made the "inland" cotton easier to get the seeds out and larger plantations formed, and those that had money at the time were able to purchase more slaves because of the Cotton Gin. Otherwise, Slavery would have died out probably before 1820, because it would NOT have been profitable. But it didn't, so in the end, over a million Americans died in a war to save slavery and states rights. 

https://www.history.com/topics/inventions/cotton-gin-and-eli-whitney

One inadvertent result of the cotton gin’s success, however, was that it helped strengthen slavery in the South. Although the cotton gin made cotton processing less labor-intensive, it helped planters earn greater profits, prompting them to grow larger crops, which in turn required more people. Because slavery was the cheapest form of labor, cotton farmers simply acquired more slaves. 

8 hours ago, ctown81 said:

In India it was outlawed in 1976, but it still persists. I was basing it on this website :  Countries Where Slavery Is Still Legal (theclever.com) .  

I was thinking TAKS Test which has since been replaced by the STAAR test which is the test we took in 1987 to graduate.  I didn't realize that they had replaced it.  That's what I thought you were referring to.  If you go to the CRT webpage and click the Learn more button you will see what they desire to teach.  I have done that, and I laugh at a lot of they think were a part of racism in early America.  Learn More • Critical Race Training in Education . 

4 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Ya'll wanna blame someone for the spread of slavery in the United States, I have a name for you--Eli Whitney. At the time of his invention, slavery was in the process of declining. But his machine made the "inland" cotton easier to get the seeds out and larger plantations formed, and those that had money at the time were able to purchase more slaves because of the Cotton Gin. Otherwise, Slavery would have died out probably before 1820, because it would NOT have been profitable. But it didn't, so in the end, over a million Americans died in a war to save slavery and states rights. 

https://www.history.com/topics/inventions/cotton-gin-and-eli-whitney

One inadvertent result of the cotton gin’s success, however, was that it helped strengthen slavery in the South. Although the cotton gin made cotton processing less labor-intensive, it helped planters earn greater profits, prompting them to grow larger crops, which in turn required more people. Because slavery was the cheapest form of labor, cotton farmers simply acquired more slaves. 

Some would have still wanted to keep it legal, but they would have been in the minority.  In essence some farmers today pay illegal immigrants below the minimum wage claiming that their room and board is included in their wages.  It still think it should have been abolished as soon as the U.S. became a nation.  Why Colin Kaepernick thinks playing in the NFL is a form of slavery is beyond me.  

23 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

In India it was outlawed in 1976, but it still persists. I was basing it on this website :  Countries Where Slavery Is Still Legal (theclever.com) .  

I was thinking TAKS Test which has since been replaced by the STAAR test which is the test we took in 1987 to graduate.  I didn't realize that they had replaced it.  That's what I thought you were referring to.  If you go to the CRT webpage and click the Learn more button you will see what they desire to teach.  I have done that, and I laugh at a lot of they think were a part of racism in early America.  Learn More • Critical Race Training in Education . 

I picked one article at random and read it. By the way, that's a conservative webpage in place to discredit CRT. It's not a website saying that's what they are teaching. 

As for the article I read, if true, some of those objectives definitely doesn't need to be taught and some that do. I saw one objective stating "Students will be able to explain misconceptions about Christopher Columbus." I definitely need to see a need for that one, but as I said months ago, no one should be teach ALL whites are bad.

2 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I was thinking that as well, but it wasn't on the list.  I know that slavery is still allowed in most Muslime countries.  

I'm not disputing slavery, just the legality of in these countries. Just looked up the definition of modern slavery and I think every country fits it, including us, but I see mainly less developed countries where it's prevalent.

1 minute ago, ctown81 said:

I picked one article at random and read it. By the way, that's a conservative webpage in place to discredit CRT. It's not a website saying that's what they are teaching. 

As for the article I read, if true, some of those objectives definitely doesn't need to be taught and some that do. I saw one objective stating "Students will be able to explain misconceptions about Christopher Columbus." I definitely need to see a need for that one, but as I said months ago, no one should be teach ALL whites are bad.

Columbus was a man of his times, and that's how many acted then especially when he was sent forth to bring back riches to Spain.  However, many want to paint him as a completely evil man.  The New World would have eventually been rediscovered by someone else, and they would be blaming them instead.  Many also fail to realize that many tribes and islanders were at constant war with each other just as Europe was always at war with each other over something.  

4 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Columbus was a man of his times, and that's how many acted then especially when he was sent forth to bring back riches to Spain.  However, many want to paint him as a completely evil man.  The New World would have eventually been rediscovered by someone else, and they would be blaming them instead.  Many also fail to realize that many tribes and islanders were at constant war with each other just as Europe was always at war with each other over something.  

I don't buy the man of his times argument since he was actually imprisoned for the treatment of the natives. I honestly don't see any reason for him to be celebrated. Plus he didn't discover the New World. Also, what do natives fighting one another have to do with what Columbus did? There are proven misconceptions about Columbus that needs to be cleared up.

14 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I'm not disputing slavery, just the legality of in these countries. Just looked up the definition of modern slavery and I think every country fits it, including us, but I see mainly less developed countries where it's prevalent.

How so? ...

I think that's progressive 🐂 :poop: ....