72 Percent Believe Students Should Be Taught American Exceptionalism AND ‘Truth About Slavery’

RETIREDFAN1

11 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Really?  Then why is your democratic president calling The Exalted Cyclops in the KKK a friend, mentor, guide?  They have you believing they switched lol.  Must have been in last 10 years.

The same guy who renounced the KKK and changed his beliefs? did you research at all or just looked at a headline. Why didn't you post Obama speaking at his funeral too?

11 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

That's what you've been brainwashed into thinking..........

If they didn't switch, answer this question for me.....

Republicans were adamantly against tearing down Confederate statues. If the ideologies never switched, why were Republicans fighting for the  “Democrats” statues to remain up?

24 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Republicans were adamantly against tearing down Confederate statues. If the ideologies never switched, why were Republicans fighting for the  “Democrats” statues to remain up?

Confederate doesn't mean racist.....as much as you want it to.  It was the whole southern half of the country.  Democrats and Republicans both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Confederate doesn't mean racist.....as much as you want it to.  It was the whole southern half of the country.  Democrats and Republicans both.

Try again, the reason for secession was Lincoln, a Republican winning the presidential race. Nice try though. 

30 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

The same guy who renounced the KKK and changed his beliefs? did you research at all or just looked at a headline. Why didn't you post Obama speaking at his funeral too?

I sure have.  Have you?

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op-Ed/2010/07/07/Byrd-s-racist-past-should-not-be-downplayed/stories/201007070270

Mr. Byrd was an opponent of all civil rights legislation in this country, joining with segregationists to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He also opposed the nomination of Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, and, as recently as the 1980s, continued to oppose the nomination of African-Americans to prominent office, including Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court, Janice Rogers Brown to the United State Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and Condoleezza Rice as secretary of state.

As late as 2001, in an interview on FOX News Sunday, he felt comfortable using the n-word, stating that he has learned that the repulsive racial epithet could include certain white people as well.

Go back a few years earlier

Immediately after his years in the Klan, Mr. Byrd's behavior was consistent with his racist philosophy. He used his power in the Senate to oppose President Harry Truman's integration of U.S. armed forces and in 1944 wrote in a letter to fellow segregationist Sen. Theodore Bilbo of Mississippi that he would "never submit to fight beneath that banner with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."

1 minute ago, ObiOne said:

Go back a few years earlier

Immediately after his years in the Klan, Mr. Byrd's behavior was consistent with his racist philosophy. He used his power in the Senate to oppose President Harry Truman's integration of U.S. armed forces and in 1944 wrote in a letter to fellow segregationist Sen. Theodore Bilbo of Mississippi that he would "never submit to fight beneath that banner with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."

What part of changing his ways are you not understanding? You mentioned everything I already knew this. 

40 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

See the title of this thread.....HISTORY should not be covered up........

1 minute ago, ctown81 said:

What part of changing his ways are you not understanding? You mentioned everything I already knew this. 

Very changed lol. Guess you skipped this one.

Mr. Byrd was an opponent of all civil rights legislation in this country, joining with segregationists to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He also opposed the nomination of Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, and, as recently as the 1980s, continued to oppose the nomination of African-Americans to prominent office, including Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court, Janice Rogers Brown to the United State Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and Condoleezza Rice as secretary of state.

As late as 2001, in an interview on FOX News Sunday, he felt comfortable using the n-word, stating that he has learned that the repulsive racial epithet could include certain white people as well.

18 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

That argument would be over with the McCormick reaper.  Cotton could be one of the crops that are harvested that way.  Most vegetables can not, because it would damage the flesh.  I would say the same for fruit trees, but now they have mechanical pickers that will shake them out of the tree.  

Still have to do some handling, sorting and packing .... but mechanical picking has come a long way .... unless you are raising watermelons commercially  ..... 

8 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Taking down a statue is NOT covering up history. Kinda hard to forget the confederacy. You know the whole slave thing and all.

Did he change on his death bed....or you just don't want to admit your heroes were mentored by the worst kind of racist?

Mr. Byrd was an opponent of all civil rights legislation in this country, joining with segregationists to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He also opposed the nomination of Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, and, as recently as the 1980s, continued to oppose the nomination of African-Americans to prominent office, including Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court, Janice Rogers Brown to the United State Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and Condoleezza Rice as secretary of state.

20 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

When did he change?  After he died?

Take it you didn't read the full article YOU posted. Seems like you did some cherry picking. In 2008 he endorsed Obama. Maybe he changed, maybe he didn't but the people closest to him believed it.

4 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Did he change on his death bed....or you just don't want to admit your heroes were mentored by the worst kind of racist?

Heroes? I thought everyone on here knew my thoughts about politicians. I don't trust ANY politician. Only an idiot would follow and believe 100% of what ANY politician says. While I'm at it, I've stated MANY times that BOTH the Republican AND  Democratic parties are racist. One is more up front and the other is more sneaky with it. I have NEVER endorsed ANY candidate on this site. 

Just wanted to avoid any misconceptions. 🙂

8 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Take it you didn't read the full article YOU posted. Seems like you did some cherry picking. In 2008 he endorsed Obama. Maybe he changed, maybe he didn't but the people closest to him believed it.

He was obviously racist for at least 80+ years.  He endorses Obama at age 90 and now he has changed?  He probably didn't know where he was in 2008.  Imagine Biden in 11 more years.  For someone who doesn't believe 100% from any politician....you sure picked an odd one to start trusting.

2 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Cover it up like you libnuts want to and it will be forgotten.......

So people complain about liberals bringing it up but at the same time you believe they're trying to cover it up? Please help me make this make sense. Both can't exist. You're digging a deeper contradiction rabbit hole just so you won't have to admit I'm right lol.  

1 minute ago, ObiOne said:

He was obviously racist for at least 80+ years.  He endorses Obama at age 90 and now he has changed?  He probably didn't know where he was in 2008.  Imagine Biden in 11 more years.  For someone who doesn't believe 100% from any politician....you sure picked an odd one to start trusting.

How much are you selling your cherries for this time of year? You're picking a lot of them. Does this sound like 100% to you?

"Maybe he changed, maybe he didn't but the people closest to him believed it."

1 minute ago, ctown81 said:

How much are you selling your cherries for this time of year? You're picking a lot of them. Does this sound like 100% to you?

"Maybe he changed, maybe he didn't but the people closest to him believed it."

Yes, you stated it as fact.

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

The same guy who renounced the KKK and changed his beliefs? 

3 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Yes, you stated it as fact.

Oh there it is in black and white. I DEFINITELY stated it as fact, but between that statement and the last one I just quoted, I said to myself "i don't trust ANY politician", but you are correct i did state it as fact.

16 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

So people complain about liberals bringing it up but at the same time you believe they're trying to cover it up? Please help me make this make sense. Both can't exist. You're digging a deeper contradiction rabbit hole just so you won't have to admit I'm right lol.  

The only thing being complained about his the FALSE narrative being taught by those who adhere to the 1619 project.......teach the complete TRUTH and don't hide anything.......

Just now, RETIREDFAN1 said:

The only thing being complained about his the FALSE narrative being taught by those who adhere to the 1619 project.......teach the complete TRUTH and don't hide anything.......

What do statues HONORING people have to do with truth?