72 Percent Believe Students Should Be Taught American Exceptionalism AND ‘Truth About Slavery’

RETIREDFAN1

1 minute ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

The only thing being complained about his the FALSE narrative being taught by those who adhere to the 1619 project.......teach the complete TRUTH and don't hide anything.......

Have you studied the 1619 project?

Just now, ctown81 said:

What do statues HONORING people have to do with truth?

They are historical.....the Jewish people KEPT Auschwitz as a museum so no one would forget what happened....the reason it was built was irrelevant.......same should be done with statues.....the reason they were built is irrelevant.....

4 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

They are historical.....the Jewish people KEPT Auschwitz as a museum so no one would forget what happened....the reason it was built was irrelevant.......same should be done with statues.....the reason they were built is irrelevant.....

We still have plantations. an Auschwitz replica was not made to HONOR it. I'm sure there aren't any Nazi statues in Germany. Statues coming down will not erase history. period.

8 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

We still have plantations. an Auschwitz replica was not made to HONOR it. I'm sure there aren't any Nazi statues in Germany. Statues coming down will not erase history. period.

Whatever.....stay brainwashed.......😴😴😴

11 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Let me know when you remember the name of one of the books. I don't believe slavery was going to end for economic reason but I do knkw they had an Emancipation plan in play, just offering freedom to slaves if they fought for the confederacy out of desperation when they saw imminent defeat. 

It was a set of about 25 in brown leather.  If the Longview Library was still set up as it was even until 1991, I could easily find that set.  Things change in 30 years, even at libraries.  I want to say that it is this set, but this doesn't list how many books are included.  I would conclude that by the price that it is.  Amazon.com: Leaders of the Civil War Era Set: 9781604136432: Books  .  I actually used to read encyclopedias and World Books from the third grade up, because I enjoyed learning and reading.  I didn't care how many books there were to read, because I had a voracious appetite for learning.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ctown81 said:

I got to thinking about this statement and it made something else come to mind. There may be good reason why you weren't taught about slavery all  over the world. If they taught you about slavery in other developed European countries, they would also have to tell you about how they treated blacks after slavery.

We were taught about it, but not in depth as I see them wanting to do today with American slavery.  It's a blemish for all countries throughout the world.  I would have liked to have known that part too.  I know that blacks in England had it bad especially in the 60's.  The Beatles made it mandatory that concert venues allowed people of all color to attend or they wouldn't play there.  I as many others still consider Billy Preston the fifth Beatle, some will say the 6th because of Sir George Martin.  I don't know as from countries in Asia, South America, and Africa.  I do know that Mexico has always discriminated against blacks since the days many were left on the shores of Oaxaca.  One would think that it would be on the Caribbean side, but it was on the Pacific side of Mexico where blacks first landed.  I have read of Mexico's history with slavery when Spain ruled, but even after Mexico abolished it there was still discrimination.  Even to this day there is discrimination.  Reckoning with racism against Black migrants in Mexico | OpenGlobalRights   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ctown81 said:

while far from perfect, blacks were treated a lot better in European countries  and former slaves of those countries were not subject to Jim Crow after slavery.  

You should read more about England.  Most weren't.  It wasn't until the 70's when blacks weren't treated as bad as they were.  I would say the Beatles had a lot to do with that, because of their influence with the youth of Britain.  Act of defiance by The Beatles helped fight racism in 1964 (faroutmagazine.co.uk)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ctown81 said:

If they didn't switch, answer this question for me.....

Republicans were adamantly against tearing down Confederate statues. If the ideologies never switched, why were Republicans fighting for the  “Democrats” statues to remain up?

To preserve History for all to see all of our flaws so that it never happens again.  They may be disgusting to some, and I'm sure there are a few people that still honor those that fight.  The only Confederate monument that I ever actively wanted to go and see was Stone Mountain.  My parents never took me there, but they took me to Mt. Rushmore.  I wanted to see it with my own eyes since I lived in Birmingham, because it was a carving in a mountain.  If they would ever complete Crazy Horse, I would go and see it too, because I admire artwork such as that.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

To preserve History for all to see all of our flaws so that it never happens again.  They may be disgusting to some, and I'm sure there are a few people that still honor those that fight.  The only Confederate monument that I ever actively wanted to go and see was Stone Mountain.  My parents never took me there, but they took me to Mt. Rushmore.  I wanted to see it with my own eyes since I lived in Birmingham, because it was a carving in a mountain.  If they would ever complete Crazy Horse, I would go and see it too, because I admire artwork such as that.  

I have been all over the United States , 48 of the 50 .... but I haven’t seen Mt. Rushmore or Crazy Horse either ....

4 hours ago, ctown81 said:

What do statues HONORING people have to do with truth?

That they died for a theory.  Slavery was just about 25% of why the South seceded, yet the left wants to make it out to be 100% why the Civil War was fought.  Why did they need to fight for something that was still legal ?  I don't understand that logic.  There were other economic disparities between the North and the South as well, and that is why secession happened.  I do find it odd that Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln were born less than 100 miles away from each other.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Have you studied the 1619 project?

It's even more hilarious than CRT.  Also the book "Forget the Alamo" is a joke at best.  While I haven't read "Forget the Alamo", I have read of it's basic premise in the Houston Chronicle.  I've mentioned it several times on Smoaky.  

19 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I have been all over the United States , 48 of the 50 .... but I haven’t seen Mt. Rushmore or Crazy Horse either ....

The only state I haven't been to is Alaska, and I have no desire to go there.  Two of my brothers were stationed there while in the Air Force, and I have a niece that is currently teaching school in Alaska.  My stepson worked up there during the summer when he was in college, because the resort would pay him to fly up there.  I've heard enough.  I'd rather go to the Himalaya's than Alaska.  

14 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

The only state I haven't been to is Alaska, and I have no desire to go there.  Two of my brothers were stationed there while in the Air Force, and I have a niece that is currently teaching school in Alaska.  My stepson worked up there during the summer when he was in college, because the resort would pay him to fly up there.  I've heard enough.  I'd rather go to the Himalaya's than Alaska.  

Alaska was awesome.....been there 3 times......lol