Waskom’s Whitney Keeling to Tatum

Eagleborn

I know Tatum would have been happy with a Keeling in 2015.  The interview committee picked the West Rusk guy and went with Barker instead.  I'm sure if the choice was between Barker/Keeling at the time, we would have went with Keeling.  I think people were expecting more high profile names to apply at the time to no avail.   After all, Barker brought his people with him so I'm not buying the "bringing his people" as the reason Keeling didn't come back then.

Keeling was asked for sure during that time.  Why he chose to not entertain the position could be based on several factors.  The AD at the time had a strong positive relationship with coaches around East Texas and had a very close relationship with the former superintendent. 

At the end of the day, I'm glad he is coming now.  Everything I've heard has been positive and most importantly how he builds relationships with kids - which with the exception of Hylander has been the biggest complaint since Evans left.  Im happy for our kids and community with this hire.  No matter how we finally got him here.

• Like 1

Barker got to bring 1 man with him. Which was Hylander. 1 man is much different than wanting to bring your whole staff and being told no. Hylander got to hand pick his staff the following year after Richardson became Sup. Regardless....water under the bridge at this point, I suppose. The right man, 6 years late....but the right man is on the way. Fun times ahead in Tatum. 

4 minutes ago, EaglesWIT said:

Barker brought in Meeks and Griifis plus a few others that I can't think of.

He may have happened after Haggerty and Shans were shuffled (by the new supt) which did more harm than good.

Your right, water under the bridge.  Maybe we can get some consistency with our coaching staff.  Our turnover rate in the last few years for both coaches and teachers are not typical for those that have grew up in Tatum.

*Hired

3 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Anyways..... Saw Waskom as a possible game if we need extra preaseason game, who else?

I'd like to see Daingerfield on there. Maybe Canton or somebody like Pewitt. Somebody we haven't played in a while. EF could be a possibility.  

39 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

I'd like to see Daingerfield on there. Maybe Canton or somebody like Pewitt. Somebody we haven't played in a while. EF could be a possibility.  

DF gonna be really good... and fast. They'll win a bunch of gold in Austin this spring.

6 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

Hopefully EF makes the right hire. If they do, I would love to see Tatum on the schedule. Will only make EF better. EF has a guy wanting the job that should be a no brainer, but we will see what the superintendent and board decides. Hope they don't let this guy get away. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

I have no idea what will happen next year. Should be interesting across the entire district.   Will be a lot of new faces. 

Yeah, should be interesting for sure. It's gonna take some getting used to, seeing us run out and take the field in the flexbone. Not just for us, hell..... all of yall too lol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Let's try this again......

2015 Keeling wanted to come. Supe was butthurt about things and told him he couldn't bring any of his people with him. 

2022 Keeling wanted to come and the supe said bring what you want. 

See the difference?

Talking about energy being misdirected but at the same time you got 30 post and they have all been about the last two Tatum hires in a negative way.... 

Being a lifer as you put it you should be thrilled about this hire.

Did Keeling coming looking in ‘15 and ‘22 or was he approached by Tatum both times? Just curious.