Waskom’s Whitney Keeling to Tatum

Eagleborn

Man oh man, they coulda given Surratt the stars and the moon and secured him and it would still be a bad move lol. They hire a family man that has been at his previous school for over a decade, who is probably the 2nd best coach in East Texas behind Surratt, who is known for building great relationships with his players, students, and community, who is known for great success on the football field, and it's not enough lol.....There's a reason the Waskom community is sick that he's moving on. All parties involved in securing this hire got this 100% right. A hire that coulda and shoulda been made 5 or 6 years ago. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

Could be they decided it was time to put a proven winner at the helm,get out his way an let him rip 🤷‍♂️

Nah, the political powers in the forum said it best......horrible hire, Tatum struck out. A swing and a miss. Board is full of young guns. Got it wroooooong. 

WASKOM, Tx (KMSS/KTAL) – East Texas high school football will look much different next season.

Waskom Head Coach Whitney Keeling is leaving the program to become the new head coach of the Tatum Eagles.

“I never dreamed that it was going to happen,” Keeling said. “Last Tuesday, I had the chance to meet with the superintendent and they offered me the position. I felt like it was a great opportunity for me to make this move at this time.”

Keeling compiled a 113-40 record during his time with the Wildcats, winning Class 3A-Division II state titles in 2014 and 2015.

“I’m excited about the opportunity Tatum has given me. Unbelievable facilities, great superintendent, great administration.”

Keeling’s first day at Tatum will be January 27th. He takes over an Eagle program that went 8-3 in 2021. His option offense will be coming with him.

““That is my offense so yes, we will be running that,” Keeling confirmed. “It’s a new chapter in my life and I’m excited to be a Tatum Eagle.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

@WETSU 👆 he will indeed bring the option attack to Tatum by way of Flexbone. 

Very surprised Watson would join him with that. He’s got D1 potential but that offense is doing him no favors for his future. Best of luck to Tatum and all the coaches going. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Very surprised Watson would join him with that. He’s got D1 potential but that offense is doing him no favors for his future. Best of luck to Tatum and all the coaches going. 

Pretty sure UTSA was checking the kid out in the last couple of days.....or so I heard through the grapevine. 

8 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Yea because the school board that has a combined 60+ years experience is too inexperienced.

Experience in what? Education? Sports? From my knowledge no one on the board has any experience on those topics. Nonetheless, hopefully they have learned their lesson on overstepping boundaries and not leaving the real decision making up to the professionals. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

You do realize that 30-40% maybe higher of college football teams run some form of the option? What do you think an RPO or a zone read is? But because the flexbone is done under center and the other colleges run it out of the shotgun it must be spread so you have to run the spread to go there? If you can run and throw and make right reads colleges will look at you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

All the Watson kid needs to do is go to camps that the colleges put on. That is how he will get noticed. From what I have seen and experienced, that is way more important than what you put on your film. Go to camps and he will earn himself some looks/offers.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Somebody still triggered over the Frazier deal. 
🤣🤣🤣

What do you do for a living? Give your opinion on a Texas football forum? Have you ever actually played football or any sports before? Or took a state board test of any kind? I’m curious why you feel you have so much knowledge from looking on the outside in? That’s usually not how it works. Do you actually like the direction Tatum took these last couple of years?  Be honest with yourself. Also, you’re projecting.  This whole thread is full of triggered men who are threatened by an opinion that differs from theirs and have a hard time accepting facts. Fact is the past hires were not either a good fit or were pushed out because they weren’t allowing outside noise control them.

26 minutes ago, Theinformant said:

What do you do for a living? Give your opinion on a Texas football forum? Have you ever actually played football or any sports before? Or took a state board test of any kind? I’m curious why you feel you have so much knowledge from looking on the outside in? That’s usually not how it works. Do you actually like the direction Tatum took these last couple of years?  Be honest with yourself. Also, you’re projecting.  This whole thread is full of triggered men who are threatened by an opinion that differs from theirs and have a hard time accepting facts. Fact is the past hires were not either a good fit or were pushed out because they weren’t allowing outside noise control them.

The truth is until you make a hire and see it play out, you can’t truly know the direction it is headed. Coaches know the important things to say to get hired. It would be great if everyone was 100% honest but people aren’t. So yes, when the hires were made, they looked promising. Sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don’t. And to answer your question about me playing football, I’ll leave it at this… Madden 2022 is lit. Do I need to have taken a state board test to be as smart or as good as you? Are you even a certified teacher? Is the certification still valid? Has your teachers aide certificate expired?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

The truth is until you make a hire and see it play out, you can’t truly know the direction it is headed. Coaches know the important things to say to get hired. It would be great if everyone was 100% honest but people aren’t. So yes, when the hires were made, they looked promising. Sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don’t. And to answer your question about me playing football, I’ll leave it at this… Madden 2022 is lit. Do I need to have taken a state board test to be as smart or as good as you? Are you even a certified teacher? Is the certification still valid? Has your teachers aide certificate expired?

For most folks I would say no but definitely need a state board test to prove you are worthy 😂 

2 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

I’m really not smart. 😢😭 Which is why I stay in MY lane of expertise. First, I was Dr. Hartt, then a scorn coach and now I’m a teacher’s aide? Which one is it? Or is it all of the above? Keep racking your brain a little bit harder and you might figure it out. You are absolutely correct about the sometimes the hiring process doesn’t go as planned. But, if you’re a good interviewer you will catch on to when someone is BS’n you. Might be the reason we did not have those issues when Hartt was there. Hopefully all parties involved have learned a valuable lesson these last few years. 

2 minutes ago, Theinformant said:

I’m really not smart. 😢😭 Which is why I stay in MY lane of expertise. First, I was Dr. Hartt, then a scorn coach and now I’m a teacher’s aide? Which one is it? Or is it all of the above? Keep racking your brain a little bit harder and you might figure it out. You are absolutely correct about the sometimes the hiring process doesn’t go as planned. But, if you’re a good interviewer you will catch on to when someone is BS’n you. Might be the reason we did not have those issues when Hartt was there. Hopefully all parties involved have learned a valuable lesson these last few years. 

Saying you are whoever is just how it works here on Smoaky. If you’ve read enough material here on Smoaky you would know that. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Saying you are whoever is just how it works here on Smoaky. If you’ve read enough material here on Smoaky you would know that. 

Richie Cunningham here makes a great point. Please say hello to your wife Oprah for me. 

CNZ1cfI.gif

• LOL! 1

44 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

I don’t need a state board test to tell me I’m worthy but I have passed a CDL test and made the highest grade in my class on my English IV final exam. 🤣

I’ve seen enough of your posts. No way you ever took English IV 😂. Maybe English 1.4 🤪

5 hours ago, Theinformant said:

Experience in what? Education? Sports? From my knowledge no one on the board has any experience on those topics. Nonetheless, hopefully they have learned their lesson on overstepping boundaries and not leaving the real decision making up to the professionals. 

Wasn’t talking to you ma’am. Move along.